Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

CapnBry posted:

Hooray I was just ranting this morning about the fact that the control key is never in the right place. I always just use KeyTweak to fix it in windows, or ctrl:nocaps in Linux, but it is baffling that the average user believes that they use CAPSLOK more than Ctrl.

I use a Logitech Illuminated keyboard now both at home and work.

A scissor-style keyboard with decent travel. Illumination in general is gimicky, but they've got the best implementation I've seen. Most keyboards illuminate around the keys, this one only lights up the letters themselves. There's almost no light leakage around the keys, which is good because if you're typing in the dark and look down it isn't like looking at a lantern. I will fault Logitech for their double height Delete key though.

If they made a version without the numeric keypad and a normal sized delete key, this would be my perfect keyboard.

Do you have tiny baby hands or something? The control key is in the exact right spot. In fact, it's easier to reach than the caps lock key. I have to bend my pinky really weird to hit the capslock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

CapnBry posted:

I'm really confused about what your hands look like now too. When you're in a typing home position, isn't your pinky (which is on the A key) less than 1cm away from caps lock? All you do is move the pinky 1cm to the left and bam you're on the control key. For me to go all the way down to the bottom row to hit where control is on the keyboard, I've got to either twist my wrist in or curl my pinky way back. Having the key I press once out of every 40-50 keystrokes 1 horizontal cm away seems like a much better design than putting it 4cm diagonally away down in the corner.

I'm sure it depends on typing posture as well, as I like my keyboard pretty close so bringing my wrists closer together isn't comfortable.

Finally, I'm old and I like things the way they were ya young whippersnapper.

I have long fingers. Caps lock is one CM to the left in home row, but my fingers have to curve quite a bit just to sit in home row, so reaching to the left sucks, whereas reaching to the ctrl key actually requires me to straight out my fingers and move my wrist a little bit, which is a more natural movement for me than straight left. I doubt you actually have baby hands, I just have hulk hands and am salty about it.

• Locked thread