Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope
I got some Amtelco KB163 Unified Keyboards that were being thrown away, and they have a ton of function keys:

(my hosting)

Despite this form factor being decades old, they're still being made, and I even got a USB version! I managed to get the extended keys hooked with AutoHotKey. Only one problem: the actual typing action on the keys SUCKS -- mushy and error prone. But god, all those function keys, I want them.

So is there a similar business-type keyboard with heaps of programmable function keys that work like REAL keys (as opposed to those crappy membrane or chicklet extended keys I've seen), but with actually good typing action?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope

Sizzlechest posted:

Congratulations. You have a skill that's been obviated by modern technology. Do you find it difficult using a Dvorak layout on your smartphone?

You're in the keyboard megathread mocking people because they know how to type on a keyboard properly? Touch typing is a skill that has been "obviated by modern technology"? What?

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope

Bazanga posted:

What is the consensus on the Razer Blackwidow?

I've seen some people here claiming that it is amazing but elsewhere the reviews claim that there is a quality control issue with Razer's caps. I've heard that one of the common issues is that the spacebar and alt keys collide frequently when the spacebar is pressed. I'm really attracted to the pricepoint because it seems drastically lower than other mechanical keyboards, but I don't want to end up paying $70 for a poorly constructed "XTREME GAMER" keyboard.

I love the minimalist looks of the Filco tenkeyless but I can't justify spending over $100 on a keyboard right now... student loans :suicide:

While I haven't used that keyboard, I wouldn't be surprised to hear about Razer quality control issues. I like their gear, but my Death Adder started randomly double clicking after a few years of use, and my friend's Copperhead or Diamondback or something had to get RMA'd like 3 times.

Anyway, does anyone know where to get one of these with Cherry blues?

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope
Okay, after much research, I think I'm settled on getting a keyboard with Cherry browns. I almost got this iOne XArmor U9 before seeing that it's 2KRO only.

Basically, I want a Filco Majestouch-2, full-size Cherry brown US Keyboard or equivalent, but the linked site is in the UK, and apparently the usual US seller for this, elitekeyboards, switched to stocking Leopolds recently, which are tenkeyless only.

So can someone tell me how to buy the linked Filco or point me to a decent equivalent?

EDIT: ...without trying to to import from a Taiwanese storefront blind using directions like these crazy people.

Stabby McDamage fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jun 30, 2011

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope
I have some info on getting Filco keyboards. I talked to a guy at Keyboardco (UK keyboard place). They sell on Amazon, they're stabilizing their ordering of Filco gear so they stop selling out, and they're going to restock Amazon at the same time they restock their regular store page. The Filco Majestouch-2 Tactile Action I want from Keyboardco should appear on Amazon around 7/29, and it should sell for $149 with free shipping in the US.

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope

Olivil posted:

I'm looking for a mechanical keyboard to replace my Logitech G15 (the orange one), I realized I simply do not care about "GAM3R KEYB0ARDZ!!!" features (useless screen and macro keys). I shopped a bit but I didn't find what I wanted. Here's what I'm looking for:

- I'm in Canada and I have $200 CAD including shipping (roughly $208 USD)
- I'd prefer a keyboard with a num pad (though it's not THAT important)
- Brown switches
- Matte black finish (Filco Ninja-ish)
- Would prefer unmarked keys (or Filco Ninja-ish)
- Would like a red escape key and if possible a different color WASD (fully aware I can change them, I would just like the replacements to fit with the "stock" keycaps)

Basically my dream keyboard would be a Filco Majestouch 104 with the Ninja finish, Ninja keys under 200$ shipped.

Is there such a keyboard or am I too selective? Thanks a bunch.

Does this Filco on Amazon not ship to Canada for a reasonable rate? It looks like $159 USD to me.

EDIT: Nevermind

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope

Risky posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Majestouch-2-Action-Metallic-Keyboard-FKBN104MC2-AI/dp/B004X4TA7S/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1311361395&sr=8-13

I can't believe I just dropped 159 on a keyboard. But, drat I wanted one of these since I laid eyes on them and they were impossible to find since no one had these in stock...until today. :smug:

Yeah, I just ordered mine too. My only fear is that it is so good that I need one for work too.

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope
Just got my Filco with browns, and I'm really enjoying it. I'm probably going to need a few days to get used to it, but it feels and sounds awesome.

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope
Question: Does anyone know where I can get a "stepped" caps lock key for my Filco?

I miss the gap.

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope
I just found a Razer Blackwidow on ebay for $35 because it had a small crack and was missing the numpad * key...ordered it, since this Filco I got makes me realize I need a mechanical for work too.

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope

weapey posted:

Anyone know a pain-free way of cleaning a Filco? Just realised the one at home is disgusting.

Well, I've always cleaned keyboards with an empty run through the dishwasher, but even I would hesitate to do that for a $150 keyboard. I'd just pop all the keys and hit it with canned air. You can also take the frame apart -- 3 screws in back and 4 plastic tabs to pop with a flathead. I took mine apart like that and I almost wanted to leave it apart -- it looks very cool as just keys rising out of a flat metal plate.

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope
I just found out something cool. I while ago, I posted this:

Stabby McDamage posted:

I got some Amtelco KB163 Unified Keyboards that were being thrown away, and they have a ton of function keys:

(my hosting)

Despite this form factor being decades old, they're still being made, and I even got a USB version! I managed to get the extended keys hooked with AutoHotKey. Only one problem: the actual typing action on the keys SUCKS -- mushy and error prone. But god, all those function keys, I want them.

So is there a similar business-type keyboard with heaps of programmable function keys that work like REAL keys (as opposed to those crappy membrane or chicklet extended keys I've seen), but with actually good typing action?

I didn't know about mechanical keyboards at the time, but I saw it on my bench today and popped a key off, and it turns out that I wasn't dealing with a beat up rubber dome board with mushy keys, but a fully mechanical keyboard with Cherry black switches and 60 function keys! So I learned two lessons:

1. This is actually a pretty cool keyboard for the price (~$65) if you like Cherry blacks.
2. I hate Cherry blacks.

Having tried to like this keyboard even before I knew it was mechanical, it seems like linear action is absolutely awful to type on. I guess I could imagine how someone might want to game on it (I wouldn't), but typing was super frustrating.

EDIT: Between this, the Filco I got, and the Razer I ordered for work, I guess I've accidentally become a mechanical keyboard collector.

Stabby McDamage fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 5, 2011

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Is the Razer really that bad? Are there any other mechanical keyboard options for Mac users besides the Razer?

I just got a Razer Blackwidow, and I like it well enough to use as my keyboard at work. Strangely enough, I didn't like it at all for gaming - I prefer my Filco with browns for that. But for typing, it's fine, if a bit loud. The standard Blackwidow is a good deal if you want Cherry blues...just $70-80.

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope
Having some trouble with my Blackwidow...I got it used with some minor damage (cracked corner, missing keycap), but it looks like it has more problems then that.

I'm having trouble with some keys sticking down, as if the clicky mechanism inside the switch is getting subtly stuck sometimes. I don't know what the people before me did to this board, but I'm betting it's more than just cracking the corner.

Any ideas on how to rehabilitate these keyswitches?

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope

AlphaDog posted:

I've been on the fence about a new keyboard for a while now. I use a cheap-cheap-cheap Microsoft keyboard which I replaced once since 2004. It's "fine", but I'd still like a nicer one to go with my new PC.

I want mechanical switches. I used a mate's Razer BlackWidow or whatever with the backlit keyboard and that was kind of nice. I hate the backlight though. I quite liked the "easily usable as a weapon" weight and solidness of it too.

Apparently, that keyboard has Cherry MX Blue switches, which I liked the feel of but not so much the noise of. If that's the only way to get that exact feel, then I'll go for a keyboard with MX Blue switches, but is there a switch type that feels exactly the same without the audible "click click click"?

I quite like the look of Leopold keyboards, and N-key-rollover is somehow appealing (useless as it seems). Leopold seem to make the exact same keyboard with different switch types, so I guess I can get one that feels like what I like...

Like this:

In my experience, no switch feels exactly like a Cherry blue, not even the Cherry brown. If the click bothers you, I'm told you can reduce the overall noise somewhat with the "o-ring" mod. WASD Keyboards can preinstall that mod for you, if you want. That said, I prefer browns to blues, and will probably replace the Razer Blackwidow I have at work, both due to noise and overall feel. I'll probably try a WASD keyboard.

Incidentally, they make a non-backlit Blackwidow, and Best Buy stocks them.

As for that Leopold, have you found a place that sells a full-size Leopold in the US? I only saw the tenkeyless versions domestically.

dox posted:

After lurking in this thread for a couple months and using lovely dell keyboards, I finally ordered a full size Filco Ninja Majestouch with brown switches... it's been quite the upgrade and I'd really recommend it for anyone out there as an entry level mechanical. Ordered it smoothly through Amazon once as soon as I got back. I've really enjoyed the switch and it all just feels more natural typing on this keyboard after a couple of days. The noise is different and relatively louder but it's not that annoying and you obviously get used to it. now I just want to try out (and hear) the other switches- can't find a store around here with any. Are there any national stores in the US that stock mechanical? My local Best Buy definitely didn't...

Unfortunately not, with the exception of the Razer Blackwidow, which Best Buy stocks. That has Cherry blues, and the box has the arrow keys exposed for you to test out.

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope

teraflame posted:

I've had a Filco and the WASD feels just as sturdy, if not more. Differences from filco are it comes with a braided cable and no rubber tipped feet on the pull-out stands. The keycaps are etched so they have a noticeable feel. Build quality on Filco/Leopold/WASD are all very close, just pick what you like aesthetically really.

The laser engraving was a really cool innovation, because it means it's economical to fully customize every individual key of the keyboard -- check out their customizer app. You can make every key cap any color you want, and put whatever text or symbol you want on it. It's $140 for a fully custom board, $120 for a "semi-custom" one, where they limit your options to make it easier to do in bulk.

They'll even install rubber o-rings in each individual keycap for $20 (reduces noise), or sell you just the custom keycaps without the board for $50 (if you want to trick out some Cherry-based board you already have. The guy who runs it is active on geekhack, and you can contact him directly if you want something zany. They're a small enough company that it sounds like they can accommodate that sort of thing.

I haven't gotten one myself, but reviews look good, so I'll probably pick one up at some point.

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Do they work if the music program isn't in focus, like if you're playing a game full-screen? this is my main issue with my eclipse's media keys, in that they are completely useless.

There's a ton of apps that can do this. I use Winamp as my player, so I can just use its global shortcut keys options, but if you don't use that, you can use something like Autohotkey to bind key combos to standard multimedia keys. You can even override Windows default combos, like Win+B.

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

oh, I forgot to mention I use itunes, it's very stubborn. I have like 6 different ipods/phones so I don't plan on ever leaving.

Maybe this or this? (I just googled it)

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope

HalloKitty posted:

Nah, it's a limit of the USB Human Interface Device standard.
Something like the Noppoo Choc Mini gets around it by presenting itself as many devices, and as thus works loving weirdly when the OS isn't aware of it.

Sadly, from what I've read, the USB HID standard allows for NKRO, but the BIOS+OS must work together to turn it on. Since the BIOS guys don't care (6KRO is enough for any normal person), this flag never gets turned on, so the USB keyboard works in the primitive "boot mode" all the time, which is where the 6KRO limit comes from.

At least, that's what this crazy keyboard guy says.

Of course, I've never heard of anyone hitting the 6KRO limit in practice...even stories of 2KRO problems are pretty rare (unless you have a dumb board that ghosts W+A+Space or something). When I got my Filco, I hooked it up via PS/2, just so I could see all the keys light up in the keyboard tester when I mashed the board. I've since gone back to USB without issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope

Tedronai66 posted:

I have a blackwidow, and I'm starting to notice the only real issue I have with it more and more: the keys are slightly cramped due to the macro buttons vs your standard 104 key layout.

I just popped the keycaps off of the macro keys -- they still work, but don't screw up your muscle memory.

• Locked thread