Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
So I got myself a Natural Ergonomic Pro 4000. Still getting used to it, but I think I'll end up being a big fan. I'm also experimenting with Gleebox though, and was wondering - is there any way shortcut for returning cursor focus to the main window? A keyboard equivalent to clicking on blank space. Alt-G only seems to work intermittently.

Also, is there any easy way to remap the zoom toggle to scroll?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

evil_bunnY posted:

:hf: though I wish they made one without the numpad.

Don't tell us what OS or anything!

Whoops, sorry. Windows 7 and Chrome.

And yes, after years on a 13" laptop it feels SO WIDE.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Picked up a Ergo 4000 two months back after reading this thread. I love it. Especially the reverse-incline: I twitch every time I see a keyboard up on it's lil' kickstands now.

Only thing that irritates me is that the central switch is zoom rather than scroll. Which idiot's idea was that?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

In non-cherry-switch chat, I want to buy drinks for the entire Microsoft ergonomics team. I'm never going back to a keyboard without a reverse incline or one that isn't split. I know other keyboards have done both before, but the Ergo 4000 is the only decent one available in my price range.

The one improvement I can think of would be to swap the arrow keys and numpad over to the left hand side, so that the mouse is easier to reach with my right hand. Other than that, it's just dreamy.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

neongrey posted:

Yes, absolutely. To any key you want.

Map backspace to it though. Once you've gotten used to it, you realise just how daft backspace's traditional positioning is.

Mr. Fix It posted:

You should be using right shift with keys on the right side of the keyboard, instead of hitting left shift with your pinky and stretching. This habit is a motherfucker to break :smith:

It's faster to do it the other way round: use the ctrl/alt/shift key on the opposite side of the keyboard from the key you're modifying. Keeps emacs pinky at bay.

While we're on the habit of good typing habits, as a freshman I spent a month retraining myself to use DVORAK. All the pains I'd previously get after typing for hours on end vanished almost overnight.

e: Oh and GleeBox is great too.

quote:

gleeBox is an experimental project that takes a keyboard-centric approach to navigating the web. It provides alternatives to actions that are traditionally performed via the mouse. Some of these are radically more efficient than using a mouse, some not so much. In all cases, they are mostly meant for keyboard and command line lovers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Happy Dolphin posted:

I got extra cash, so I have decided that my old G510 needs to be replaced thanks to excess amounts of keyboard goop.

The hell did you spill on it that some cotton wool and white spirit can't get off?

• Locked thread