Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I wonder how much they paid for that, those are pretty bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

My friend linked me to the photographer one of her friends of a friend is using.

The name of the "company" is literally "& Unlimited" - http://www.andunlimited.com/

The watermark is a goddamned ampersand. The photography isn't good enough to transcend lovely branding either.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Well you can hate on the logo and name, but the photos are drat good. What issues exactly do you have with them?

Question; I'm shooting a wedding tomorrow thats outside on a mountain hillside and the guests will be facing straight at the sun at 5:00 when the ceremony starts. I was there today for the rehearsal and the lighting was a pain in the rear end. The backlighting was so strong I either had completely over exposed sky or completely underexposed subjects. Is my only solution to use flash during the ceremony? Here's the setup:

(straight from camera, and I have no idea how to make it look decent)

In short, how do I deal with intense backlit sun here?

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 24, 2009

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Well you can hate on the logo and name, but the photos are drat good. What issues exactly do you have with them?

Some of the pictures have a few problems with missed focus (http://www.andunlimited.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Engagement_Pictures_Raleigh.jpg), and a few have blown out highlights that just look bad not artistic. (http://www.andunlimited.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Fall_Family_Portraits.jpg)

I'm just linking to examples because I don't really feel comfortable re-hosting a photographer's pictures

They're okay, I wouldn't call them "drat good"

Paragon8 fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 24, 2009

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

Paragon8 posted:

Some of the pictures have a few problems with missed focus (http://www.andunlimited.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Engagement_Pictures_Raleigh.jpg), and a few have blown out highlights that just look bad not artistic. (http://www.andunlimited.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Fall_Family_Portraits.jpg)

I'm just linking to examples because I don't really feel comfortable re-hosting a photographer's pictures

They're okay, I wouldn't call them "drat good"

Those are pretty nice engagement/wedding type photos, that's exactly the kind of stuff people are looking for, from what I've can tell (and is very popular at the moment). Noone but photographers gets freaked out about shallow depth of field and that kind of thing.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

TsarAleksi posted:

Those are pretty nice engagement/wedding type photos, that's exactly the kind of stuff people are looking for, from what I've can tell (and is very popular at the moment). Noone but photographers gets freaked out about shallow depth of field and that kind of thing.

I guess I've just been really spoiled by what I've been looking at like: http://www.tracyturpen.com/ (Unfortunately she has a flash based site).

I'm certainly looking at it with a different eye that the people who it's aimed at. I would imagine most people would be happy with Ampersand Photography, I just would not be.

I understand the look she's going for with wide open apertures and light overexposure. She hits that most of the time, but when she doesn't it looks amateur. Like having a badly blown out shirt the same color as the sky.

Paragon8 fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 24, 2009

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

Paragon8 posted:

I guess I've just been really spoiled by what I've been looking at like: http://www.tracyturpen.com/ (Unfortunately she has a flash based site).

I'm certainly looking at it with a different eye that the people who it's aimed at. I would imagine most people would be happy with Ampersand Photography, I just would not be.

Honestly if you're nit-picking, those photos are rife with technical issues too.

The point is that it's not worth worrying about.

Bottom Liner posted:

Question; I'm shooting a wedding tomorrow thats outside on a mountain hillside and the guests will be facing straight at the sun at 5:00 when the ceremony starts. I was there today for the rehearsal and the lighting was a pain in the rear end. The backlighting was so strong I either had completely over exposed sky or completely underexposed subjects. Is my only solution to use flash during the ceremony? Here's the setup:

(straight from camera, and I have no idea how to make it look decent)

In short, how do I deal with intense backlit sun here?
I shot a wedding like that, I got around it by either working with the flare (which is obnoxious) or by getting around to the edges where the light wasn't right behind them. But if the sun is -right- behind them I think flash might be the only reliable way to deal with it.

TsarAleksi fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 24, 2009

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Paragon8 posted:

I like her compositions and ideas a lot more, but they're not nearly as clean and nice looking I think. My aim is somewhere in the middle of those, I want the super clean soft look of the & lady, but with exciting compositions like these.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

I like her compositions and ideas a lot more, but they're not nearly as clean and nice looking I think. My aim is somewhere in the middle of those, I want the super clean soft look of the & lady, but with exciting compositions like these.

http://www.jessicaclaire.net/ I think has a similar style to the ampersand lady, you might want to look at her.

TsarAleksi, admittedly I don't really have too much of an idea about what good wedding photography is or isn't but would you really put & limited on the same level as tracy turpen? (Just rereading that you could kind of misread the tone, I'm not trying to be a dick just genuinely curious)

Paragon8 fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 24, 2009

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

TsarAleksi posted:

Honestly if you're nit-picking, those photos are rife with technical issues too.

The point is that it's not worth worrying about.

I shot a wedding like that, I got around it by either working with the flare (which is obnoxious) or by getting around to the edges where the light wasn't right behind them. But if the sun is -right- behind them I think flash might be the only reliable way to deal with it.

The only way would be to correctly expose the sky, and use flashes to light up the foreground?

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

Cyberbob posted:

The only way would be to correctly expose the sky, and use flashes to light up the foreground?

That or underexpose and try to mine detail from shadow for every frame.

Finally finished editing photo from two-weekends ago wedding:

--got lots in color too just liked the black and whites of all but the one color one :) --

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

The last two of those are incredible. Overall a great job too.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

TsarAleksi posted:

I want to tell you this is crooked, but I don't want to sound like an rear end in a top hat because it's such a beautiful shot, otherwise. :)

I feel like it needs to come just 1 or 2 degrees clockwise, but then again if you do that then the brick-line near the bottom will be off center. But those columns, especially the left side...now that I've seen it I can't not see it. :)

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

TsarAleksi posted:

this is a great photo.

galaxian
Dec 29, 2008
I am a wedding photographer full-time. Here are a few of my recent favorite frames. This is the coolest job in the world.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
HE'S FEEDING HER LIGHT!

Do you have any advice for someone just starting out? I'd love to do this fulltime as the pay and hours are better than working in my particular branch of IT and I want to escape.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

psylent posted:

HE'S FEEDING HER LIGHT!

Do you have any advice for someone just starting out? I'd love to do this fulltime as the pay and hours are better than working in my particular branch of IT and I want to escape.

I'd like to know this too. I've heard being a 2nd shooter to an established photographer is a good way to do it.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Haha in the last few of those frames that woman getting married looks so similar to Donna from The West Wing!

I would also be interested in hearing about starting out. I'll be assisting on a wedding in a month or two, but I feel like there's more to it.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
Ok, so Psylent is in IT, anyone else? Its like 50% of wedding photographers I know are in IT, or were in IT.

Anyway, to glaxians's photos.

There is goodness here. The first B&W of the bride is beautiful and I wish all of my Bride Prep pictures turned out that well.

The next couple... man. Is that radial blur? Zombie gray skin? The couple looking like someone left a cake topper under a bush? Its interesting stuff, very artsy and I'm sure the couple loved it. I certainly wish I could get away with shots like that, but I've had one couple that would appreciate the photos and 0 families that would actually purchase them. You work to your market though, and I'm guessing you're shooting in the Pacific North West?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, those blurs really kill otherwise fantastic photos. They make me dizzy :psyduck:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

galaxian posted:

I am a wedding photographer full-time. Here are a few of my recent favorite frames. This is the coolest job in the world.

Good stuff, I like it. You ever need a second shooter or assistant?

galaxian
Dec 29, 2008
Thanks for the positive responses. The 'blur' effect you are seeing is a result of a Canon 45mm 2.8 Tilt/Shift lens. Its a lot of fun, and clients don't mind or they wouldn't hire me :p. To all the people who are interested in being a second shooter, please shoot me an email (do some digging on the image hosting and i shouldn't be hard to find) and I will add you to my list of people I call. I dont have anymore weddings until the springtime, because right now the weather is getting cold again in the Northwest.

I got my start second shooting and its a great way to learn.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Did you use a ring flash on that asian family? What's going on there?

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

galaxian posted:

Thanks for the positive responses. The 'blur' effect you are seeing is a result of a Canon 45mm 2.8 Tilt/Shift lens. Its a lot of fun, and clients don't mind or they wouldn't hire me :p. To all the people who are interested in being a second shooter, please shoot me an email (do some digging on the image hosting and i shouldn't be hard to find) and I will add you to my list of people I call. I dont have anymore weddings until the springtime, because right now the weather is getting cold again in the Northwest.

I got my start second shooting and its a great way to learn.

You wouldn't happen to be a regular on the PBNation photography subforum, would you? Those photos look pretty familiar.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

pbpancho posted:

You wouldn't happen to be a regular on the PBNation photography subforum, would you? Those photos look pretty familiar.

Whoa, pbn has a photo subforum now? Does it suck any less than the rest of that heaping pile of poo poo for forums?

galaxian
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah, that's me on PBN. I used to play when I was 14/15. The shots that are strobe-lit are for my photobooth. It's an add-on and at wedding receptions I'll set up my ABR800 against a wall and try to catch some wild stuff.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I've just had a friend of a friend ask me for a quote for a wedding, they want me there for 4 hours (groom/bride getting ready through to the start of the reception) - and I've quoted them AUD$1200 which I think is pretty reasonable especially as the wedding is a 3 hour drive away from where I live. I'm including all photos on a DVD and a web gallery in that price. It's about 40% lower than the average photographer in my area, but the bride is saying that she only wants to pay $800-$900 at the most.

I want to market myself to clients in the $2000+ range (bundling prints/albums/thank you cards into that price), and I'm offering a pretty low rate as I'm still starting out.

Am I being unreasonable?

psylent fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Nov 2, 2009

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Absolutely not. Don't sell yourself short :)

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

psylent posted:

Am I being unreasonable?
I quoted a friend-of-a-friend $900 for all-day shoot, plus album and gallery and all the high-res files on dvd, and she went with someone whose name I've never heard of and who I can't find any mention of online. Personally, I can't wait to see the photos she gets if she went cheaper than that. It's completely possible that they'll be fine, and it's also possible that she found some $400 shooter on Craigslist.

Bottom line, I decided that - worth it or not, and very likely I'm not, yet - I'd rather not become the $500 wedding photographer, which I think is what this girl is looking for. It's just too much damned work.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
Being the $500 photographer sucks. Most of my first year was $500 clients, and holy poo poo. Its like there is an equilibrium point when it comes to the price/work graph.

**FAKE EDIT**

gently caress it, here's an MS Paint graph.

Of course, this is just my narrow experience, you're mileage will vary. Consult your doctor before believing this graph. Etc.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
why does it start out with more work for less money? if you charge less, shouldn't you set expectations to receive less, work less time, and get fewer photos? Or does this not work in the real world?

Zoowick
Apr 9, 2007

Making fifteen year old girls looks like whores since 2006

squidflakes posted:

Being the $500 photographer sucks. Most of my first year was $500 clients, and holy poo poo. Its like there is an equilibrium point when it comes to the price/work graph.

**FAKE EDIT**

gently caress it, here's an MS Paint graph.

Of course, this is just my narrow experience, you're mileage will vary. Consult your doctor before believing this graph. Etc.

I'm in the 3k-5k range and those are the clients you want. Not just because of the money but they tend to be educated and have an understanding of what you do. Also there is never and haggling at that level, it's pretty much just people who love your style and are willing to pay for it.

Zoowick
Apr 9, 2007

Making fifteen year old girls looks like whores since 2006

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

why does it start out with more work for less money? if you charge less, shouldn't you set expectations to receive less, work less time, and get fewer photos? Or does this not work in the real world?

People that spend $500 on a wedding probably make about that much a week so to them that's a shitload of money. They have high expectations for their $500 and are never really satisfied. It's crazy, when I was charging 1k I had A LOT more issues than I do now.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
I mostly hate being a dick like this, but the $500 people are the Wal Mart crowd. Literally. I shot a couple of $500 weddings where the couple was registered at Wal Mart, but they really wanted to register at Target because everything there is so much more upscale, but then their guests wouldn't be able to afford to buy them anything.

The $500 people are all about instant gratification and can't understand why you can't have all of the pictures you've taken up in a day or two. They can't understand why you didn't post every picture you took. They can't understand why you didn't take a picture of their dog drinking out of the punch bowl or their grandfather dropping trou while dancing, cause dammit that's funny!

The $500 people think that their aunt/cousin/brother is perfectly capable as a photographer because he's got a "nice camera" which usually turns out to be a Fuji Fine Pix S2000. (good little cameras mind you, but its still a P&S)

The $500 people think that shooting over your shoulder is perfectly acceptable, in fact, move the gently caress over because granny wants to take that picture, change your pose, and turn on another dozen lights and bring in lamps from the other room because their cameras aren't working really well so obviously yours isn't either.

The $500 crowd buys this picture:

Agedashi Tofu
Jul 27, 2004

I paid money to type stuff here.
So in relation to this $500/cheap client talk:

I'm in a situation where I'm just starting out, but due to where I live there isn't much, if any, opportunity to be a second shooter to build up my chops. I feel I'm a fairly competent photographer but haven't ever done a wedding - so I'm certainly not to a point where I can feel comfortable charging $2000 or maybe even $200 for a shoot.

Is it going to be a bad idea to do some free/very cheap weddings to build up a portfolio? I was thinking of doing 2 or 3 for just enough to cover some expenses and a couple camera items like extra batteries and a softbox... but the last few posts have me thinking I'm going to enter a world of pain by doing so.

Although it's not really my preferred option, I had also considered contacting some photographers in Reno which is about a 4-5 hour drive away and maybe shooting alongside them. I'd prefer this for the learning experience but gas is expensive and so is taking the time off to drive across the state, pay for food, etc.

Maybe a combination of both?

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
The completely unhelpful answer is: Its up to you.

The cheap clients are a pain in the rear end, but you do learn how to maximize the speed of your workflow and how to handle weird things at weddings. Don't expect to turn out great shots, get too creative, etc.

There is one upshot though. When you're doing cheap weddings you tend to get a lot of younger couples who tend to be more in to interesting photos, a more fun and enjoyable atmosphere, and a higher chance of some tattooed and pierced chick getting drunk and naked.

Of course, this is location dependent. Utah, not so much. Texas, it depends on where you are.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

squidflakes posted:

...or their grandfather dropping trou while dancing, cause dammit that's funny!
If you saw that happen at a wedding and didn't get a picture I wouldn't hire you either. :colbert:

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

Agedashi Tofu posted:

So in relation to this $500/cheap client talk:

I'm in a situation where I'm just starting out, but due to where I live there isn't much, if any, opportunity to be a second shooter to build up my chops. I feel I'm a fairly competent photographer but haven't ever done a wedding - so I'm certainly not to a point where I can feel comfortable charging $2000 or maybe even $200 for a shoot.

Is it going to be a bad idea to do some free/very cheap weddings to build up a portfolio? I was thinking of doing 2 or 3 for just enough to cover some expenses and a couple camera items like extra batteries and a softbox... but the last few posts have me thinking I'm going to enter a world of pain by doing so.

Although it's not really my preferred option, I had also considered contacting some photographers in Reno which is about a 4-5 hour drive away and maybe shooting alongside them. I'd prefer this for the learning experience but gas is expensive and so is taking the time off to drive across the state, pay for food, etc.

Maybe a combination of both?

Charging very little for a wedding isn't a horribly bad idea when you're starting out, but it depends on how you approach it. If a friend of a friend needs a cheap photog, go for it! However, don't go advertising on Craigslist or in a newspaper that you'll shoot a wedding for 50 bucks; you'll get really, really horrible clients, and they're often quite ugly, too (call me an rear end in a top hat, but it's true!)

galaxian
Dec 29, 2008
Here's the thing: the sub $1500 category of photographers really aren't good. Chances are, they are so cheap because they do it just on the weekends, or are glorified hobbyists. Some are just starting out, but that still means they lack experience/a strong portfolio. So what's my take on it? Not my issue. The type of clients I am going for are: appreciative of good photography, stylish, laid back, and open. Bonus if they are creative/have a really cool wedding. I book around the $3500-$4000 range (Seattle-Tacoma area) --- these people are serious about photography, or at least have a somewhat serious budget. Chances are, they can recognize the dichotemy of talent between a $500 Craigslist shooter and a licensed, experienced, creative professional. If not? It happens. Not every client is amazing. I can win over most couples by saying: Hey. At the end of the day, the food is eaten, flowers are wilted, cake is cut, DJ is gone. Photos/Video are equally as important as a venue/caterer IMO, moreso if the couple is into art/photography. But $500 clients arent going to have weddings that will boost your portfolio, will try to squeeze more out of you at the end, and are trying to get as much as they can for as little as possible.

Also, its important to take into effect that the price game can't be compared across the nation. Cost of living is something to definitely take into account. Here are some shots from a wedding I just blogged in Vegas. Well, Henderson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arinel
Aug 16, 2006
How does the water of the brain yield the wine of conscious experience? - Some one quoted it once.

Agedashi Tofu posted:

Are there no Wedding Photographers near you? Because that is certainly the best idea. There's less issue if you stuff up, you learn from dudes who've done it before. I mean, if you think it's worth it consider trying to stay down there (with a Goon maybe for cheeps?) and do a couple in a row so it's less gas and you get everything done.
But hey, I don't do this (I wish) and maybe post processing would be a bitch if you did a couple of weddings in a row.

You might want to consider doing a couple engagement shot type of things for classy people. People may hire you with a smaller portfolio (that isn't specific to weddings, maybe grab a couple of friends to do some fake engagement shots). If they like you they may take you for the wedding. If they don't like you at least you have some nice stuff for fattening a portfolio.

• Locked thread