Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
The current fuji flashes? No they don't have any options not available on the nissin. Fuji is planning on putting out a new speed light in the up coming months that will do HSS on the newer bodies but I don't know if that's worth waiting for or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I need it for Sept. 3 so that makes my decision easy. Thanks again!

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Finally got a chance to do a rain photo. I've wanted one of these for a while. It was kind of on a whim, so it wasn't exactly how I wanted, but I wanted to take advantage of the rain.

_KPH03072 by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

dakana posted:

Finally got a chance to do a rain photo. I've wanted one of these for a while. It was kind of on a whim, so it wasn't exactly how I wanted, but I wanted to take advantage of the rain.

_KPH03072 by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

fuckin' raaaaaad

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Nice. Whats with the slow/lack of posts in this thread? I know my excuse ... lack of work lately.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Verman posted:

Nice. Whats with the slow/lack of posts in this thread? I know my excuse ... lack of work lately.

:effort: for me. Get done with editing, send 'em to the client, start the next batch of editing, vacation, personal photo backlog, etc. I get excited about a photo here or there and throw it in this thread every now and then, but I really need to find some time to put a few sets together to share. I know I enjoy seeing other people's work.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I've "retired" from the wedding photography business. The realities of running a wedding photography business - ie all the time you need to spend on the "not photography" side of things set in and I slowly realised I didn't have it in me to do all the "extras" necessary to be successful. Especially as someone who took "nice, but not exceptional" photos.

This coincided with starting a new job that had a bit more responsibility so it seemed like a pretty good time to hang up the cameras and go back to shooting stuff for fun.

I shot my last wedding in February and I've really enjoyed having my weekends and weeknights free of shooting/editing.

I've also sold off most of my Canon gear and now have a nice little Fujifilm XT1 with a couple of lenses. Booya.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Is there a thread devoted to professional digital videography or making wedding videos anywhere? I looked but couldn't find it. Thanks!

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

BBQ Dave posted:

Is there a thread devoted to professional digital videography or making wedding videos anywhere? I looked but couldn't find it. Thanks!

No, but if you want to include it in this thread I hereby give you permission.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

dakana posted:

No, but if you want to include it in this thread I hereby give you permission.

No no, I'm clueless. Never done it before. I posted in ask tell (tell me about being a wedding videographer) because I was thinking about starting a small business and someone sent me here. I looked through it's a cool thread, though.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
It depends, will you be shooting with a Canon Rebel camera?

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

HookShot posted:

It depends, will you be shooting with a Canon Rebel camera?

I haven't even gotten to equipment shopping yet. Are you talking to me?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

BBQ Dave posted:

I haven't even gotten to equipment shopping yet. Are you talking to me?

I was talking to you. Maybe you should consider actually learning the trade you want to open a business in before doing anything else.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Two quick questions:

1. the markup every wedding photographer gives for print options is always insane, right? If I go straight to the source, I can likely get the same prints done at a fraction of the cost? I don't tend to get prints done much, and when I do it isn't high end quality, but I'm sure if I hit up one of the recommended print places in the threads here I can get much better pricing.

2. if I get all my print work, and tell all my friends/family to do the same, through an external company and my photographer doesn't get any print orders, is this considered 'unfair'? i.e. is it part and parcel of wedding photography that I should just eat massive costs for any print work we want done?

I already spent what we consider a hefty amount on our photography (multiple $thousand) and we get on well with our photographer, but individual print rates are naturally very expensive and if we can save everyone some money then I'm all for it and I have 'originals' (JPEG, not raw, naturally) to work with. But if the expectation of selling x amount of prints essentially subsidises the cost of the photographer, then I'd feel pretty bad for taking that expected income away.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
Personally, I consider the print based income model outmoded. I straight up tell my clients that I will be happy to make prints and albums for them but I cant do it at the price point that they can themselves. Honestly if the photographer gave you print rez jpgs then they'd be stupid to rely on you coming to them for prints.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
yeah I make my money in my upfront fee and provide edited hi-res files. I tell them they can print themselves or order through me for archival-quality, color-controlled stuff at a slight markup.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
no one knows what it means but it's provocative. it gets the people GOIN

_KPH4136 by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

wisegirl
Dec 31, 2004
Not quite '05!
Continuing the stupid questions trend:

I had my wedding during the summer, and managed to get a photographer whose work I had encountered and liked some years back. He had already retired from wedding photography by the time I asked, but promised to come anyway - for a reasonably low price, to be paid in cash. Week later he sent me a USB-stick with the raws, nothing edited in any way. I was and still am somewhat torn about the raws, because as a cyber hoarder I like to have the freedom of editing them, but on the other hand I don't have the skills and creativity necessary to make anything good out of them.

I wonder if anyone here would know anyone doing post-processing they could recommend, or if anyone here's interested in editing others' pictures during the slow season. My email is printer.fault at gmail dot com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

wisegirl posted:

Continuing the stupid questions trend:

I had my wedding during the summer, and managed to get a photographer whose work I had encountered and liked some years back. He had already retired from wedding photography by the time I asked, but promised to come anyway - for a reasonably low price, to be paid in cash. Week later he sent me a USB-stick with the raws, nothing edited in any way. I was and still am somewhat torn about the raws, because as a cyber hoarder I like to have the freedom of editing them, but on the other hand I don't have the skills and creativity necessary to make anything good out of them.

I wonder if anyone here would know anyone doing post-processing they could recommend, or if anyone here's interested in editing others' pictures during the slow season. My email is printer.fault at gmail dot com.

emailed

• Locked thread