Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

BobTheCow posted:

I've always thought of wedding photography as crazy intimidating, way over my head type stuff. But I've been shooting a bunch for the student newspaper, and then assisting the university photographer, and now been working as a second shooter at university events, steadily improving my shooting and learning lots and lots about lighting and composition along the way, and I think I may try to start assisting at weddings.

Anyway, I still thought weddings were way over my head. Until I saw the shots from my buddy's wedding that the photographer just put up, and went "well poo poo, I could do that." I don't know if he ended up being a subpar photographer, or I've just become more confident in my abilities, or some combination, but these pictures that I've been looking forward to seeing for months now really didn't impress me.

Also, the wedding was June 20, and the photographer just put up the gallery for folks to look at yesterday. He never provided any previews to the bride and groom beforehand or anything, either. I feel like three and a half months is a really drat long time to wait for wedding shots, is that normal?

The thing with wedding photography I think is that the stuff you do see that is publicized is shot by the upper tier photographers for publication which can be intimidating. Other than that I think there are probably more mediocre to average wedding photographers than good ones. It's relatively easy to shoot an "acceptable" wedding, especially in the eyes of an untrained client.

However, good wedding photography can be appreciated by everyone. My friend who got married a few years ago had a fantastic wedding photographer, and although I couldn't make it to the ceremony the pictures did a perfect job of capturing the mood.

Judging from the wedding ask/tell thread it seems a lot of people just don't see a wedding photographer as necessary or instead go for the cheapest option. If/when I get married I'll probably want the most expensive part of the wedding to be the photographer - unless I can get one of you guys to give me a discount!

Sorry for just rambling without really contributing. I've been on a real wedding photography kick - checking out people like Jasmine Star and Ryan Breznier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Cyberbob posted:

I've got Jasmine Star on RSS, some really good stuff there. She works with stupidly attractive people most of the time which does her a lot of favours. Being an ex model from Orange County helps with having friends like that though.

I actually found Ryan Breznier having a mini-sperg about that on flickr. How she's successful because she started "rich" and well connected which helped her develop a good brand.

I would imagine her status (and fee) are so high in that area that only couples that know they're going to look good will shell out for it. It does help to step back from her just for your own self esteem (at least in my case) and realize that even though she's pretty skilled there's a lot of stuff behind why she's where she is such as location and branding as well as her networking.

She's a great blogger too, I get a little annoyed when she's shilling photoshop actions or that online portfolio site. Otherwise I just love the moods she captures, she seems technically sound judging from some of her answers to comments.

Out of curiosity how much do the "elite" wedding photographers typically charge? Jasmine Star doesn't list her price anywhere I can see on her sites. I'd imagine it'd around $8,000 maybe?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

5 figures aren't out of the question at all.

Daaaaamn. When I saw how much she was charging for workshops I knew her shoot fee must be high.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Cyberbob posted:

One of the most respected wedding photographers in NZ has a deluxe package of $12k NZD (about $9k greenback)

I'm sure it's much like any "service" based professional.

The general joe would get a hooker for $300 a night, a hedge fund manager wouldn't mind paying $5k for the same hooker.

so to speak.
I'd look at it as a percentage thing. If the average person has a $40k budget, 10% on a photographer might be about right. If it was a 100k budget suddenly that 10% nets a lot more dosh for the shooter.

And to extend the metaphor - the cheap guy would throw 30 bucks at craigslist to see what he got - either for a hooker or a photographer.

I don't even think it's even smugmug that she uses. I think her husband runs another portfolio type site.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I just picked up an internship at a place that hires out its premises for weddings and other events. They were very excited that I was also a photographer. So, hopefully I can build some contacts and see if I can be a second shooter on anything.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Cyberbob posted:

FYI, Jasmine Star's doing a couple of one day workshops in Aussie and NZ soon.

The downside? $900 for one day (at least the nz one)

Pass...

Haha, I think the hooker metaphor applies again. For 900 bucks I bet she makes you feel fantastic for the day, but you'll probably end up with some regret.

I bet nearly all of the people that sign up are just Jasmine Star fanatics who want to shoot exactly like her so they'd never complain.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

My friend linked me to the photographer one of her friends of a friend is using.

The name of the "company" is literally "& Unlimited" - http://www.andunlimited.com/

The watermark is a goddamned ampersand. The photography isn't good enough to transcend lovely branding either.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Well you can hate on the logo and name, but the photos are drat good. What issues exactly do you have with them?

Some of the pictures have a few problems with missed focus (http://www.andunlimited.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Engagement_Pictures_Raleigh.jpg), and a few have blown out highlights that just look bad not artistic. (http://www.andunlimited.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Fall_Family_Portraits.jpg)

I'm just linking to examples because I don't really feel comfortable re-hosting a photographer's pictures

They're okay, I wouldn't call them "drat good"

Paragon8 fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 24, 2009

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

TsarAleksi posted:

Those are pretty nice engagement/wedding type photos, that's exactly the kind of stuff people are looking for, from what I've can tell (and is very popular at the moment). Noone but photographers gets freaked out about shallow depth of field and that kind of thing.

I guess I've just been really spoiled by what I've been looking at like: http://www.tracyturpen.com/ (Unfortunately she has a flash based site).

I'm certainly looking at it with a different eye that the people who it's aimed at. I would imagine most people would be happy with Ampersand Photography, I just would not be.

I understand the look she's going for with wide open apertures and light overexposure. She hits that most of the time, but when she doesn't it looks amateur. Like having a badly blown out shirt the same color as the sky.

Paragon8 fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 24, 2009

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

I like her compositions and ideas a lot more, but they're not nearly as clean and nice looking I think. My aim is somewhere in the middle of those, I want the super clean soft look of the & lady, but with exciting compositions like these.

http://www.jessicaclaire.net/ I think has a similar style to the ampersand lady, you might want to look at her.

TsarAleksi, admittedly I don't really have too much of an idea about what good wedding photography is or isn't but would you really put & limited on the same level as tracy turpen? (Just rereading that you could kind of misread the tone, I'm not trying to be a dick just genuinely curious)

Paragon8 fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 24, 2009

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

The last two of those are incredible. Overall a great job too.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

psylent posted:

HE'S FEEDING HER LIGHT!

Do you have any advice for someone just starting out? I'd love to do this fulltime as the pay and hours are better than working in my particular branch of IT and I want to escape.

I'd like to know this too. I've heard being a 2nd shooter to an established photographer is a good way to do it.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

psylent posted:

Oh man am I ever conflicted about Jasmine Star's blog. She does take great photos and there is good advice there, but the focus on "creating a brand" and the saccharin nature of so many of her posts really puts me off.

Her post with all her photo fuckups cracked me up, especially the one with her husband opening the door behind the posing couple and ruining a dramatic photograph.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

jackpot posted:

I'd love to read this, got a link? I can't find it on the front page.

http://www.jasminestarblog.com/images/content/BlogBehindtheScenes0010.jpg is the picture in question.

http://www.jasminestarblog.com/index.cfm?postID=772&a-year-in-review is the main post.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

galaxian posted:

A handful of recent photos from the last few months. My wedding season for 2010 starts Saturday in Portland, I'm jittery... I hope everyone has a good 2010 whether you are planning or shooting a wedding.

Both weddings were fantastic. You did an outstanding job.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

psylent posted:

I've got 7-8 weddings booked so far this year, half of them have come from referrals from celebrants. My wife has decided to be my sales manager and has spent the last few weeks calling up venues to get me put on their list of suppliers. She pimps out my services everywhere :cool:

haha, sales manager seems like a needless formality. Just list her as "Pimp" in the company director.

Congrats though!

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Wooten posted:

Oh come on, Heathrow to Logan is cheap!

haha, this is actually tantalizingly true.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

BobTheCow posted:

A photographer friend of mine booked Jasmine Star for her wedding. It made me wonder how many of her clients at this point are photographers themselves.

That's pretty cool. How far ahead did he have to book her?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Munkaboo posted:

1,000+ person weddings. No kidding one of the photographers I was seeing said they went to a wedding with 1,000+ people and 15 attendants.

Holy poo poo, I can't even imagine how much that costs. Or, knowing 1000 people that I would invite to my wedding.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

VermiciousKnid84 posted:

Anyone see this update on Jasmine Star's blog?

http://www.jasminestarblog.com/index.cfm?postID=816&kisses-and-disses-locks-photographers-edit

Apparently, they'll process your raw files in Lightroom for $270 per wedding.

I am sort of shocked that she'd be so shameless to not only use such a service, but openly admit and plug it on her website.

I guess the bottom line is wedding photography is 95% branding.

(Also, I'm kind of jealous of this shrewd business idea Photographers' Edit has. I wonder if they'll expand their marketing to pursue couples that get RAW files from the photography via DVD, and cut out the photography altogether.)

I really like Jasmine Star and I was a bit taken aback by that too. At least she's being somewhat transparent. She also extensively uses and plugs photoshop actions too. Which is fine I guess, but does beg the question of what she does when she's not shooting? Or what she teaches in her 500 dollar a day workshops.

I do really like her photography, and the way she created her brand is deserving of recognition. I think someone mentioned it in the photo business thread, but a successful photographer is a better businessman than a photographer.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Yeah, if you're getting 10-15K a wedding, it makes sense to outsource the monkey work for 270 bucks if it means you can spend that day shooting an engagement session etc.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

AtomicManiac posted:

I would like to imagine that she still does the top ~# photos by herself in post. Like the Kiss, the cake, the rings, etc. Then outsources the other couple hundred/thousand out. Realistically though, if she's selling prints at $10, she only needs to sell 27 of them to break even on it.

Jasmine Star charges like 15K, if anything the post production guys are idiots for only charging her $270.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Bread Zeppelin posted:

Are they just moving sliders on RAW files or are they taking them into Photoshop and going all out for each image?

Haha, I'm reading the "more info"

Basically for 270 you get:

Culling

To select a black and white percentage (not sure what this is - I guess how many of the images to turn black and white?)

White Balance - only three options: warm, neutral, and cool

Renaming images.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Yeah, I really wouldn't want to trust culling my images to a third party either.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I don't know about you guys but the icing on the cake for me was the plaintive "please don't send me spam!"

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I'm set on "open relationship" and the only ads I get are for facebook ads themselves.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Just finished second shooting my first wedding - first wedding I'd been to period even.

I think we got some awesome shots.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

jackpot posted:

Screw it, I'm getting the 70-200 and 24-70, and figure on using those exclusively for the day. If I can't cover a wedding with 24-200 and a decent flash I'm not worth a poo poo anyway. I'd love another body but christ they're expensive to rent. Did I mention I'm doing this free for a friend? Kill me now.

You only really need the 70-200 f2.8 - the 17-50 you already own makes the 24-70 a little redundant.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

jackpot posted:

I was just thinking the same thing (haven't reserved anything yet). It's exciting, looking at all that cool equipment; makes you want more than you need. :)

The photographer I was working with today primarily used a 70200 f2.8 and it really is great. Kicked the poo poo out of my 70-200 f4 :(

My sigma 10-20 saved the day for some group shots though :smug:

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I hope this works, first time linking from my smugmug.

I don't have to make it a link like with flickr right?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

TsarAleksi posted:

Link all you like.

Nice shot, by the way, though I'm not sure I'm crazy about the processing. Seems like it might be a stronger shot with cleaner colors.

It was super ugly grass. I'm sort of ambivalent about the picture itself. Other people seem to like it though.

More here

Paragon8 fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 10, 2010

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

HPL posted:

It's the aged, faded look. Makes you wonder what the photos will look like in 20 years though.

Or where wedding photography trends will be in 20 years!

It was the first wedding I'd been to ever, let alone the first one I shot. I was a second shooter, so I missed out on a lot of good opportunities because I had to be crouched in bushes holding the dress up or making fake wind.

It was a super awesome experience and I think I got some great shots out of it. It says more about the wedding photography industry than my skills, but I feel like I'm already better than a lot of people out there.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Erwin posted:

Where on the forums is the best place to look for prospective wedding photographers? Is it this thread?

Try the portfolio thread too.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Shoes are definitely a bridal money shot - It seems like it has become tradition recently for the bride to be wearing super expensive designer shoes.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

On the wedding I second shot for, I experimented a little with video during the vows as I didn't have the greatest angle. The first shooter was using a 5dmkII and it totally ruined the video.

"Do you ta-" CLACK CLACK CLACK "to b-" CLACK CLACK CLACK

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

Aren't shutter sounds pretty easy to filter out?

I have no idea, it was just a quick little experiment. It's wasn't an official thing. I just found it hilarious how loud her shutter was.

The shake on the video was enough that it's not worth really editing anymore.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

robertdx posted:

Yikes! That's incredible. I love the IS on my 100-400 but I don't think it's that good. Either an earlier version maybe or just because the push-pull is so heavy, it still helps a lot though in the 400mm range.

From this weekend:

I like the borders you did. Bah, that feels like a lame compliment - but yeah it really adds to that crisp fresh feeling I like in wedding photography.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I really like detail shots. There's something about the anticipation and buildup to them that I find quite emotional.

Like jackpot says, they probably aren't the most commercially viable photos but they're frosting on the cake so to speak.

Like if you're trying to get published or something, detail shots are one way of standing out.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Hahaha, that owns.

I shot a wedding for a co-worker last night. I got paid a pretty token amount ($300 + materials), but I also had a second shooter (the video guy's friend, who's mom had some baller equipment) and don't have to do any processing, since she's our graphics person. The bride also has an MFA, and was happy to let me shoot film part of the time too:

The Polaroid Fuji instant shots were very popular, got passed around a lot at the reception. It'd be nice to find some local photogs that I could partner with and offer an add-on "analog" package; it's fun shooting with my Speed Graphic and I think the look has appeal even to non-photographers. I'm moving in a couple months though, so it's a bit :effort: I'll post more shots later, haven't gone through the digital yet, bride has the instant stuff to scan (she insists I get to keep the originals), and I've got like 20 sheets of C-41 to mail out for processing.

That's rad as hell, it gives people something to take home on the day instead of having to wait a few weeks for the photos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Sparklepants posted:

Forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong place....but where would I ask if someone was willing to photograph my wedding? It will be in September of 2011. Oh please don't hurt me if I posted this incorrectly :ohdear:

No, we love you. I've lurked the wedding thread in ask/tell and cringed at all the "we're just having a friend with a nice camera shoot our wedding" advice.

Where are you?

• Locked thread