Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

bitterandtwisted posted:

I've figured out a workaround, though it's not elegant:

Hope that's useful for you.

Thanks for this. I just tested it and it seems to work. I just added an update to the ExcelJobCtrl setting to set it to 0 and that seems to be all it needs. Yes, not elegant but it works and will stop people from complaining about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Just ordered one of Brother's new models from Amazon: the DCPL2540DW. Should be here this weekend. I will post impressions of it after I get it set up. Does pretty much everything except automatical duplex scanning and color for $179.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
God bless Amazon. The Brother DCP-L2540DW got here today.

First impressions: Small enough to sit on top of a narrow file cabinet. Easy to set up. Warms up to print really fast. Like it goes from being asleep to a printed page in 10 seconds. Scanning/copying is not super fast, but not too slow. Wireless networking works great and can be set up using the little LCD display (if you have a long or complex WPA key, you will probably want to connect it using USB or Ethernet and then configure the WiFi settings using their software).

In short: I have only had it for a couple hours, but it's feels like it was a great value for $179.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Plus it's already down to $164!

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Yip Yips posted:

Plus it's already down to $164!

Awesome. Going to contact Amazon to see if I can get the discount refunded to be since I just ordered it 2 days ago.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Anyone have a good recommendation for print management software, we are looking for something to prevent people from printing in color and possibly track what customer they are printing it for. We have used Argos before but was hoping for something easier to manage.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

PaperCut

Furcifer
Apr 20, 2007
It's Furcifer, not Lucifer
Hey guys. I just dropped into the thread. The Brother DCP-L2540DW seems like a good fit as per Lowen's post, however I'd like to double check with everyone that it meets my needs, and also survey for alternatives products incase I can't find it here in Canada.

Needs:

-Quality and reliability - Just migrated from a laserjet 1200 after 10+ years, that thing has set the gold standard for me
-Laser monochrome
-photocopying/easy scanning to PDF
-wireless capabilities

Thoughts? It seems that the brother checks all my boxes. Are there alternatives anyone can recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Furcifer posted:

Hey guys. I just dropped into the thread. The Brother DCP-L2540DW seems like a good fit as per Lowen's post, however I'd like to double check with everyone that it meets my needs, and also survey for alternatives products incase I can't find it here in Canada.

Needs:

-Quality and reliability - Just migrated from a laserjet 1200 after 10+ years, that thing has set the gold standard for me
-Laser monochrome
-wireless capabilities

Thoughts? It seems that the brother checks all my boxes. Are there alternatives anyone can recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Hard to say anything about the reliability on it since it's a new item, but it does everything else you need. Worth noting that it will scan to PDF, but it does require a PC with their software to do that. It does not scan to a network share from the printer it self. Not a big deal and it wouldn't have kept me from buying the printer, but I thought you should know.

Also, Amazon has it on sale for $107.99. And I thought that $179 was a good deal for this thing.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
The universal answer is:
Low volume = Buy a Brother.
High volume = Lease a MFP.
While there are a few edge cases for this, 99% of the time this is the truth.

Furcifer
Apr 20, 2007

Mrit posted:

The universal answer is:
Low volume = Buy a Brother.
High volume = Lease a MFP.
While there are a few edge cases for this, 99% of the time this is the truth.

Uh oh - I might have made a mistake. I went to buy the Brother but they were out of stock, and instead bought the Canon MF4890DW for 75% of the price ($200 CDN vs $150). The canon seems to have everything the brother has, AND it also comes with duplex scanning and fax.

Should i return it? I quickly skimmed amazon reviews and the user feedback seemed positive.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Canon stuff is pretty solid.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

Lowen SoDium posted:

Also, Amazon has it on sale for $107.99. And I thought that $179 was a good deal for this thing.

Crap, I missed it.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Furcifer posted:

Uh oh - I might have made a mistake. I went to buy the Brother but they were out of stock, and instead bought the Canon MF4890DW for 75% of the price ($200 CDN vs $150). The canon seems to have everything the brother has, AND it also comes with duplex scanning and fax.

Should i return it? I quickly skimmed amazon reviews and the user feedback seemed positive.

The price per page for consumables may be higher but it's unlikely to make much difference unless you're going through more than one cartridge per year.

Furcifer
Apr 20, 2007

Cpt.Wacky posted:

The price per page for consumables may be higher but it's unlikely to make much difference unless you're going through more than one cartridge per year.

I don't expect to use it that heavily; I was more concerned about quality and longevity of the machine.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

You will have to pry my Laserjet 4100n from my cold, dead hands.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

Furcifer posted:

Needs:

-Laser monochrome
-wireless capabilities

Thanks in advance!
I'm looking for basically the same thing, but I need a document feeder and I'd like to have duplex printing (and scanning) if possible (but not a must-have). I'm in the UK, though, so the models and pricing are a bit different. Has anyone used the MFC-L2700DW? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brother-MFC...3M577GBSJ50WDQ8

Furcifer
Apr 20, 2007

Ani posted:

I'm looking for basically the same thing, but I need a document feeder and I'd like to have duplex printing (and scanning) if possible (but not a must-have). I'm in the UK, though, so the models and pricing are a bit different. Has anyone used the MFC-L2700DW? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brother-MFC...3M577GBSJ50WDQ8

Fyi, and also a trip report; The Canon MF4890DW i got also has a duplex document feeder, and I've been incredibly impressed with it this past week. Wireless setup and printing from desktop, laptop, and ipad have been absolutely seamless.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

My mom recently became secretary for the choir she's part of, meaning she has to print a bunch more than usual. We currently have an Epson all-in-one inkjet, but with the increased volume of printing it'd seem like it might be smart to switch to laser.

She really wants to keep the ability to scan/copy documents, but doesn't care much for color. And it'd be preferable if it wasn't a loud, towering monstrosity.

Print volume isn't giant, more along the lines of 15 pages a week on average.

Which model Brother should I be looking at?

E: I should probably mention I'm in Europe and around € 150 would be the limit on price.

Geemer fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 23, 2014

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
I'm not sure if it's available in the EU, but the usual go-to of the thread, the HL-2270DW, has a variant with a scanner on top, the HL-2280DW. The only downside I can see to it (compared with the towering monstrosities) is that it's only a letter/A4 scanner, not a legal scanner, and there's no scan auto feeder.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

McGlockenshire posted:

I'm not sure if it's available in the EU, but the usual go-to of the thread, the HL-2270DW, has a variant with a scanner on top, the HL-2280DW. The only downside I can see to it (compared with the towering monstrosities) is that it's only a letter/A4 scanner, not a legal scanner, and there's no scan auto feeder.

Looks like it's not available in the EU. The Dutch Brother site doesn't even list it at all. And legal isn't even a paper size here. Everything's A4.
I guess I'll have to poke around Brother's site and see what strikes the best balance between our needs. Thanks for the advice, anyway.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
That's now the previous generation (at least in the US), I just got my DCP-L2520DW, which is of the next generation. It's the 2nd level model, so it has ethernet and an ADF, but the DCP-L2520DW is the cheaper model. As far as I can tell only difference is now ethernet (wireless only) and no document feeder. There was some bizzaire sale where the L2520DW was only $110 on a bunch of sites here in the US, when the MSRP is normally $180. The cheaper 2520DW lookes to be around $130 normally here, so you should be able to get least one of those below 150 Euro moon dollars.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

FISHMANPET posted:

DCP-L2520DW

This thing looks pretty much perfect. Looks to be around €130, and the toner isn't very expensive either. Thank you.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I need a multifunction printer with a good scanner for:
Scanning diagrams/drawings
Some text document printing
Some photo printing

It won't see particularly heavy use and I don't have room for separate devices. Colour is a must and the ability to print on card would be very useful. My budget is £150 ($200?). I'm currently eyeing the Epson XP-610, but I'd be willing to spend a bit more if the quality of the scanner is better. Haven't bought a home printer in ages so I'm not sure what the good manufacturers are.

bumnuts
Dec 10, 2004
mmm...crunchy

McGlockenshire posted:

Does something like the HL-2280DW with a scan auto feeder + AirPrint exist?

Edit: I found the DCPL2540DW. Why is it so much cheaper while seeming to have more features?

bumnuts fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 12, 2014

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Need a new office printer suggestion.

Our old one is an HP LaserJet P3015 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828115518)

Today, after 4 years (and only 18,000 pages), it died. Bad formatter board or something. It gave a 49.4C02 communication error any time someone tried to print. I updated the firmware and then it gave an 49.4C01 error. I did USB recovery, re-flashed the firmware, and wiped NVRAM. Now it just sits on boot, with "5/6" and "B/F" codes.

I'd like something similar (ethernet, duplexing, 42 ppm, less than $600) that has great OS support. I'd like to avoid HP (quality issues) or Xerox (driver issues), though. AirPrint compatible is a plus.

I'm a fan of Brother printers, but our office manager does not like them.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Chas McGill posted:

I need a multifunction printer with a good scanner for:
Scanning diagrams/drawings
Some text document printing
Some photo printing

It won't see particularly heavy use and I don't have room for separate devices. Colour is a must and the ability to print on card would be very useful. My budget is £150 ($200?). I'm currently eyeing the Epson XP-610, but I'd be willing to spend a bit more if the quality of the scanner is better. Haven't bought a home printer in ages so I'm not sure what the good manufacturers are.

Will it be frequent use or infrequent use? Why is a color a must? A photo printer (inkjet) is going to suck at printing text and be stupid expensive with supplies, a printer good at print text (laser) is going to suck at printing photos. You can get a color laser but it's probably out of your budget. Also think about consumables cost in your budget. Inkjets may look cheaper up front, but their cartridges are way more expensive per page than laser. Also, if you don't print frequently, your cartridges will dry up. Unless you're printing photos everyday or something, you'll get better photos for less money by just going to the local pharmacy or Target/Walmart and print them at the photo kiosk there.

bumnuts posted:

Does something like the HL-2280DW with a scan auto feeder + AirPrint exist?

Edit: I found the DCPL2540DW. Why is it so much cheaper while seeming to have more features?

It's the newer generation. I've got one of those and it's pretty great.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Xenomorph posted:

Our old one is an HP LaserJet P3015 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828115518)

Today, after 4 years (and only 18,000 pages), it died. Bad formatter board or something. It gave a 49.4C02 communication error any time someone tried to print. I updated the firmware and then it gave an 49.4C01 error. I did USB recovery, re-flashed the firmware, and wiped NVRAM. Now it just sits on boot, with "5/6" and "B/F" codes.

I'd like something similar (ethernet, duplexing, 42 ppm, less than $600) that has great OS support. I'd like to avoid HP (quality issues) or Xerox (driver issues), though. AirPrint compatible is a plus.

Why isn't your office manager down with Brothers? Racist?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

thebigcow posted:

Why isn't your office manager down with Brothers? Racist?

Possibly. This is St. Louis.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Xenomorph posted:

Possibly. This is St. Louis.

I don't have anything to suggest besides Brother, but you could try running the numbers between them and say... Lexmark. Maybe the difference in cost for operating a Brother would sway them.

Otherwise look into leasing something from a local outfit. Our vendor sells us the machine and a monthly contract for a cost per page with minimum. All we supply is the paper and electricity, they cover everything else including toner, service calls, broken parts, etc.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Xenomorph posted:

I'd like something similar (ethernet, duplexing, 42 ppm, less than $600) that has great OS support. I'd like to avoid H (quality issues) or Xerox (driver issues), though. AirPrint compatible is a plus.

We have ~8 of these in an office for 260 people and I've had one get hosed up like what happened to you after 20k ish pages. $150 for someone to fix it which made more sense to me than buying a new one. What other issues have you had with HP? In my experience, we have had a much better time with these than Xerox, and we seem to spend a ton more on Brother consumables.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Once you hit the LaserJet Enterprise range then you're back in the familiar territory of the LJ4000 in terms of being built like tanks and just working.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Just wanted to add I have a fleet of HP LaserJet 400 M401DNs I couldn't be more happier with them. Not had a single failure yet. Have several units past 50k pages.

We switched to HP after every single new Brother HL-54xx and HL-61xx printer we had died due to premature fuser failure. The warranty replacements Brother sent died even sooner than new units did. We where lucky if the fuser in warranty replacements lasted longer than a single toner cartridge.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

americanzero4128 posted:

We have ~8 of these in an office for 260 people and I've had one get hosed up like what happened to you after 20k ish pages. $150 for someone to fix it which made more sense to me than buying a new one. What other issues have you had with HP? In my experience, we have had a much better time with these than Xerox, and we seem to spend a ton more on Brother consumables.

Most of the HP issues are just the number of them loving up on us and our users, and the replacement parts (fusers, drums, rollers, whatever) costing hundreds of dollars to replace. They were great in the 1990s, but the newer ones give us trouble. When us or our users pay $600 for a printer, then discover HP only gives them a 1 year warranty and will cost $200-$400 to fix after just ~3 years of use, it is easier to just buy a smaller printer to replace it.

Even if these little Brother printers last 1 year, paying $100 every year is still cheaper than sticking with the HPs.

With this P3015, I decided to try a formatter board off eBay for $45. If that doesn't work, the office manager said I could replace it with two little Brother printers ($99 each).

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Considering the fact that the Brothers keep getting cheaper and cheaper, and the fact that if you put one in a single person's office they're not going to print an obscene amount...

Man I don't know, gently caress printers.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I just picked up some Brother HL-L2360DW printers. Best Buy did a $99.99 price match when I showed them the Office Depot web site on my phone with that price (Best Buy had them for $119.99).

One for work to replace the HP LaserJet P3015, and one to replace my HL-2170W at home (I've been wanting Duplex + native Air Print for quite a while!).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's quite a step down from a P3015

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Thanks Ants posted:

That's quite a step down from a P3015

It didn't have a super-huge work load (18,000 pages in 4 years), and might be cheap enough to just replace every other year.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

My wife wants an AIO almost entirely for scanning/copying documents. I want one for photo printing (we already have Brother laser for text documents). We want to keep it at or less than $200.

So with these in mind:

Highest priority: Duplex scanning/printing with automatic paper feeder, best possible photo printing in the category/price range, not giving me a no-lube asspounding via ink cartridges that run out quickly and cost a small fortune.

Medium priority: Print photos on large format (11x17) paper.

Don't give much poo poo priority: Print/scan speed (within reason).

I'd lean to Brother due to how much we love our inexpensive laser, but the reviews I'm seeing say that their photo printing is mediocre at best. The Epsons get good marks for photo quality but have lots of nightmare stories about reliability and horrid service.

Lastly, do they even make inexpensive auto-feeding scanners anymore? I want photo printing but if there's a dedicated scanner that would do what the wife wants for less than an AIO, that would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Kind of a shame you've already got the Brother laser already, any chance you could sell it off? You're probably best served by getting a Brother black and white AIO, plus some kind of photo printer. I don't think you're going to find a high quality photo printer that also has a scanner.

I also don't think you're going to find a duplex scanner feeder in anything that also prints photos, period. It's a very business-like use case, kind of the opposite of printing photos. My recomendation would honestly be to sell the current Brother laser, get a MFC-L2740DW (about $250, the cheapest that does duplex scanning) to replace it, and go to the pharmacy to get photo prints. Are you printing tons of photos every day where you need them RIGHT NOW?

E: The MFC-J5720DW meets the qualification of a color inkjet that has duplex scanning, but probably not "photo" quality printing. And also if the wife is looking for something to scan/copy, she's not going to want to scan to PDF from your color device, the print that on the laser printer. So she'll either be unhappy that you got a thing that doesn't do what she wants it to, or she's going to make copies on your fancy photo printing inkjet. Definitely ditch the brother printer and get a B&W Laser AIO.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 6, 2014

• Locked thread