Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

krushgroove posted:

Cool, a printer thread. I've been wanting to get a mono printer to save ink costs from my all-in-one inkjet, which I've spent far too much on ink for.

A new Brother printer w/o wifi or network is about £65 but I can get an older HP LaserJet for anywhere from £20-40 after shipping. Add a JetDirect EX add-on for about £5 and it's networked. Does anyone have suggestions for a particular LaserJet? I've looked at the 5L and 6L which I like the look of, but I'll need to worry about paper feed or just get the kit and install new rollers, which seem to be plentiful on eBay. A 6P is quicker but a lot bulkier. Someone mentioned the 2100, which sounds much more recent but looks about as bulky as the 6P. I'm not printing off manuscripts so 10ppm isn't a necessity, but I would be printing a bit more if I didn't have to worry about £25 black ink cartridges.

At the moment I'm just shopping around but there seems to be a good selection of recently serviced or used eBay LaserJets around so anything in particular I should look out for?

Judging by the pound signs, you're in the UK.
The Register just did a summary of lasers you should look at.

Printer group test

Personally, I couldn't put anymore money into wet-ink printers.

e: better link

url fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 30, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread