Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Cool, a printer thread. I've been wanting to get a mono printer to save ink costs from my all-in-one inkjet, which I've spent far too much on ink for.

A new Brother printer w/o wifi or network is about £65 but I can get an older HP LaserJet for anywhere from £20-40 after shipping. Add a JetDirect EX add-on for about £5 and it's networked. Does anyone have suggestions for a particular LaserJet? I've looked at the 5L and 6L which I like the look of, but I'll need to worry about paper feed or just get the kit and install new rollers, which seem to be plentiful on eBay. A 6P is quicker but a lot bulkier. Someone mentioned the 2100, which sounds much more recent but looks about as bulky as the 6P. I'm not printing off manuscripts so 10ppm isn't a necessity, but I would be printing a bit more if I didn't have to worry about £25 black ink cartridges.

At the moment I'm just shopping around but there seems to be a good selection of recently serviced or used eBay LaserJets around so anything in particular I should look out for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

url posted:

Judging by the pound signs, you're in the UK.
The Register just did a summary of lasers you should look at.

Printer group test

Personally, I couldn't put anymore money into wet-ink printers.

e: better link

Thanks, that's a great review. I've only just recently started looking at a laser for home use, however the only thing I'd need color for is printing a few photos, so I just need a mono laser, which is why I'm happy to have a 'retro' HP, which are about half the price of a new, non-wifi mono laser like a Samsung. When the Canon ink gets too exhorbitant (not too long, I'm sure) I'll definitely get a color laser, considering the prices these days.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah, sorry that's what I meant - I'll use up the Canon ink printing whatever color stuff I need and when that's all gone I'll go to online only. Costco has really good prices but I tend to save up photos to print until I have 500+ so I can get their best deal.

I just checked on Freecycle and there's a guy that's got a few office LaserJet 1100's that just need an updated roller kit. Free printer + £10 roller kit + parallel-to-USB adapter and I'm all set for now :)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Any ideas how I can get an old HP printer with a parallel connection hooked up on USB? I'm told there's a specific HP-standard connection that apparently isn't the normal parallel connector, and they're supposedly hard to find but I don't know what to look for.

eh, more extensive googling found the answer, I'll leave the answer in case other folks sourcing old LaserJets have the same issue: http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447626+1270569231603+28353475&threadId=778999 - basically look for 'Half Pitch Parallel Printer Adapter' or HP36 male connector or 'Half Pitch Centronics 36 Male'

normal parallel port:

half pitch connector:

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 6, 2010

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

FISHMANPET posted:

FWIW, I think I've got one of those cables rattling around somehwere (or I threw it out with the POS printers, :iiam:)

I'm in the UK, but thanks :) I did find the same cables for UKians and EUians though:
http://www.tronisoft.com/2482.php
http://www.tronisoft.com/2487.php

Apparently the way to set these up is this:

quote:

You must not connect everyting together first or your printer will NOT WORK!

FIRST: Plug the USB to Centronics adapter cable into the computer BUT DO NOT CONNECT TO ANOTHER CABLE OR TO THE PRINTER YET!

The computer should automatically recognise and install the USB Printing Support and put a message saying it is ready to use.

SECOND: Connect to the other printer cable and to the printer and power the printer on.

The computer should automatically install the printer driver and put a message that the printer is ready to use.

Now your printer should work OK.

If not go to the Control Panel/Printers and Delete the printer.

Then you have to go to the device manager and uninstall the USB Printer Support there.

After this go back and follow the above directions again.
(from the hp forum link in my post above)

Hopefully this helps old HP cheapskates like me :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Don't most printing options for word processing or whatever have the option to print consecutive odd-numbered pages and then you reload the paper to print consecutive even-numbered pages? I seem to remember doing this in the past, the biggest pain was getting the paper in the right direction.

edit: Ebuyer doesn't have any mono duplex lasers with a scanning function, have you thought about picking up a cheap scanner (I see them free all the time on my local Freegle listing)

Anyway, I just picked up 2 free HP LJ 1100's that need a USB-parallel converter and roller kits, plus an LJ 2100N that needs black toner and a cleaning kit. Score! Just have to figure out where the put them for a couple of weeks while I wait for the bits to arrive.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 20, 2010

• Locked thread