Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Bumping this. My Laserjet 2605dn is dying, thanks to a nice crippling design flaw that makes the printer basically kill itself after a couple years.

I'd like to replace it with a color laser multifunction as I do still occasionally have the need to fax/scan/etc.

My requirements:

• Built in duplexer
  • Network support (wired or wireless, I don't care)
  • Windows 7 64bit and Mac OS X support for all functions (I assume this is a given these days, but who knows)
  • Scan to network/email/usb stick would be nice

The Brother models look pretty decent, but people seem to whine about the fairly standard lovely industry practice of artificially claiming that toner cartridges are empty when they actually aren't. Any other big issues with Brother other than that?

The MFC-9840CDW looks pretty close to what I'm looking for, anyone have any experiences with this particular model?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Liongate posted:

Its time for me to buy a printer.

Multifunction I want scanner and copy really. Fax is not needed.
Laser or led since I don't be printing often.
Colour I am kinda torn with this...Either colour or dublex really...can't have both.
Duplex Would be awesome but colour laser and dublex is out of my price range.
Wireless is not must but is always a plus

Samsung CLX-3185FW is something I have been looking for colour laser and
MFC-7860DW For mono Duplex.

I take suggestion for both colour and mono duplex version if you know any better ones.

I went from a color laser to a 7860DW recently and have absolutely no regrets.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Liongate posted:

I still need some good points on going duplex rather than colour since in most cases you can still manually do double sides. Can't go other way around, unless coloring that monochrome picture with crayons.

I have read some previews about CLX-3185 and most complains seems to be on speed and buttons. I don't mind slow speed as long what quality is good.

Thinkfear really hit the nail on the head. A full color toner run on my last printer was maybe 2/3 - 3/4 of the price of a new printer, so usually didn't bother to print color unless I absolutely needed it. Manual duplexing means that you're really not going to end up duplexing in most situations.

Color print jobs on a consumer priced laser are going to be decent, but not photo quality, so it really ended up being a situation where black and white was fine 99+% of the time, and if I want a good color print, or some color printing done, I'll just do it somewhere with a cheaper cost and better materials.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Liongate posted:

I read more about the Samsung CLX-3185FW and it seems it has some annoying driver and ink problems. Guess I go with monochrome printer then since I haven't found any other appealing colour printer so far.

Some review said MFC-7860DW had quite loud idle noise when connected wireless, any experience on that? Too loud noise would be bad since the printer would be pretty near my bed.

I take some more recommendations as long its under 400€

The printer is silent in "deep sleep" mode, I think the problem is that it can't go into deep sleep mode when connected to wireless (at least from what I read). I don't think it's quite loud, but it would be really annoying if it was anywhere by my bed (think small annoying fan noise).

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Robolizard! posted:

the brother printer everyone likes is on sale at newegg today ($80). I ordered it and was going to get the drum cartridge, but it appeared to have very poor reviews (though only two on amazon and two on newegg). Has anyone had success with it? Over 4 times the capacity for less than twice the price of the 2600 page toner seemed like a very, very good deal.

Just to clarify, the drum is a different consumable part from the toner cartridge, it just happens to last longer before it dies (at least for this printer, some printers use a combination unit).

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Aug 23, 2011

• Locked thread