Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Thirding the Brother HL-21xx printers. I've got one (HL-2140), and they're drat nice, especially for the price. The HL-2170W has ethernet and wireless capability.

Let's see:
Laser
Yes, of course

Wired Networking
For the HL-2170W, yes.

Drivers
On OS X at least, the drivers are about 10MB. The installer will want to install the User Guide and a bunch of miscellaneous programs, but you can tell it not to (unlike HP). The included CD has drivers for Windows and OS X, and there's probably support for Linux too.

Toner
Toner is pretty cheap, as are the drum units if you need to replace yours. Newegg has toner cartridges and drum units for the HL-2170W from both Brother and Rosewill.

Color
Monochrome only, sorry. Color laser printers are expensive, and your toner costs will be higher too.

Price
Right now NewEgg has the HL-2170W for $120 and free shipping. And they have the Rosewill RTC-TN360 toner cartridges for $30 (normal price is $80) so for your $200 "Oh God" limit you could get the printer and a spare toner cartridge or two.

My only complaint with mine so far is that Brother doesn't include a USB cable, but USB cables are cheap, and if yours is going to be networked then it doesn't really matter.

edit: I should point out that the $80 price on the Rosewill toner cartridge is because it's a high yield one (2600 pages). Rosewill evidently doesn't make the 1000-page standard yield cartridge. Brother's standard yield cartridge runs about $45, but right now NewEgg has those on sale too.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 31, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
edit: whoops, nm

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Aug 31, 2009

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Heisanevilgenius posted:

That sounds like what I'm looking for. Can anyone offer a better solution for someone who doesn't care about networking or platform, or the Brother still the best bet?

I've got the Brother HL-2140 and it's great. It's pretty much the HL-2170W with all the networking stuff taken out (and thus costs less), and takes the same toner cartridges and drum units.

Too bad this thread didn't appear earlier. NewEgg was selling the HL-2140 for $90 with free shipping until August 29th. (Amazon had them for the same price, but shipping was something like $25).

edit: the NewEgg price on a HL-2140 is now $110, but shipping is still free.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
If you're only going to be printing a few hundred pages a month, there's not much reason to get a more expensive HP LaserJet in my opinion.

If I was going to be printing thousands of pages a week (like in an actual office) then I'd get something expensive, but for home office usage the HL-2140 has been great for me so far. Mine mostly just prints the occasional invoice and things like that.

Of course, the only other experience I have with laser printers is the awful Lexmark we use at work. Jam jam jam jam jam.

• Locked thread