Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Picked up a Brother 2170W and I had some trouble getting it set up on the network.

The 2170W doesn't appear to support TKIP security. So if that's what your network is set up for, it will not connect. It connects in AES mode. Thankfully, my router (I hope most do this) can do TKIP+AES, which allows me to satisfy the printer's requirements without reconfiguring all of my wireless devices that are on this network. This could have been a big pain in the rear end.

So, if you set up the printer on your network and it won't send the print jobs to it, check to see if you have TKIP or AES selected. For me, this resolved that issue.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 17, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I have a Brother HL-2170W and I think the drum is hosed up.

I've cleaned the hell out of it several times and the pages have splotchy spots all over them.

I've been looking around at replacement drums and there seem to be a lot of knock-offs. And the official Brother replacements cost almost as much as a new printer from them.

Are there cheaper replacement drums/cartridges available that are also dependable? Or should I look at a new printer? If so, which model? I liked the HL-2170W well enough until it started acting lovely.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I don't recall exactly, but I went through a few reams over several years. So probably between 1000 and 2000.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I can try a third party replacement and roll the dice I guess. But I don't know what else to say, the existing drum is hosed.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
At a glance, the fuser looked ok, but when I got up close and personal I saw what I would describe as a "pitting" pattern along the surface. The drum roller is nasty looking also. I'll attach some pictures and maybe you could confirm what I'm thinking, that both drum and fuser are a loss? I appreciate everyone's help so far.

The fuser:

The drum roller:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Thanks for the help everyone.

stevewm posted:

For the fuser, you want to look at that tan roller at the bottom of the first picture. From what little I can see of it, it looks to be in good shape. Check the extreme left and right ends of it. It shouldn't appear to be torn or crumpled. As for the pitted orange colored roller, it is just a pressure roller. It looks to be in good shape. The pitting is nothing to worry about.

The drum however does not look so good. It should be shiny and clean across the entire length, yours obviously is not . It appears worn and has leftover toner on it. The defects on a printed page likely line up with the marks on the drum roller. Definitely time to replace it!

Ah, of course. I don't know my colors. The fuser looks like it is in good shape so I'm going to try a drum replacement.

tater_salad posted:

I have that exact printer, I've used a reman drum and 3rd party toner with no issue.

How many pages did you get out of it before the drum took a crap?

Your replacement drum was a re-manufactured one from Brother themselves? Or from a third party?

• Locked thread