Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Chiming in with the recommendation for an old LaserJet - my 4000 TN was built in 1998 and cost me £20 a few years ago. Runs like a champ and I've done no maintenance on it other than cleaning it when I first got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you only occasionally need colour then it's going to work out infinitely cheaper to get colour stuff printed at a photo kiosk/online service/copy shop. Don't forget the tendency ink has to dry out – in a worst-case scenario you could be buying new colour ink for each printout you make, assuming you print one photo every 6 months or so.

Once you've accepted that you don't really need colour then it makes it a whole lot easier to give it up.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You're going to find anything Brother make come highly recommended for running costs and quality (hardware and drivers).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've used a Canon Pixma (specifically an IP4200) in the past to do this, very happy with the results. Lined them up perfectly each time, and the software wasn't terrible.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Don't try and print on envelopes, get a thermal label printer.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Be aware that a low end colour laser is a ticket to very expensive toner pricing with a low page yield. If it's going to be used to print a lot so the print heads don't dry out then an inkjet aimed at the small office isn't a terrible choice - I've always been happy with the HP Officejets, they seem to be fairly reliable and the driver packs are free from poo poo.

Edit: With that said, the general rule should still be gently caress inkjet where possible.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 18, 2012

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Did you mean http://www.collobos.com/index.php ?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Seeing as everything else they make seems to be awesome, the Brother HL-6180DW seems to do what you want.

http://www.brother.co.uk/g3v1/g3.cfm/s_page/215760/s_level/222120/s_product/HL6180DWU1/product_tool/1

For labels I'd be tempted to get a separate label printer if you're doing lots of the same size labels. I have a few Brother USB thermal printers and they are awesome for the £30 they cost. The media is reasonably priced too. You can get networked versions for a bit more cash as well.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Apologies for the double post, AS Express seems to be related to this:

http://www.nsiautostore.com/products/autostore/capture/multifunction-devices/konica-minolta/

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is there an equivalent of this in the US?

http://www.printerland.co.uk/Brother-MFC-9320CW-P109250.aspx

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The scratching issue was solved, and the colour quality is excellent compared to a laser. The biggest issue for my clients is that you can't hot laminate the output, and cold laminating is a bit lovely and costs more to do.

Also colour laser has made crazy improvements in terms of quality, warm up time etc so solid ink is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist any more.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've just seen HP's latest range of 'pro' inkjets appear: http://www.hp.com/united-states/campaigns/officejet-pro-x/

They don't seem completely poo poo thanks to that wide printhead thing and pigment inks, and the pricing is decent enough. Has anyone used one?

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 11, 2013

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Edit: Here you go http://www.canon.com.au/~/media/Support%20Documentation/MFD/iR3025_iR3030_iR3035_iR3045%20Sending%20and%20Facsimile%20Guide.ashx

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 27, 2013

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

For some reason I've always had luck checking the Australian website of a company when I'm trying to find a manual. They seem to delete them less quickly than the US or UK sites (maybe there's a law there that means they have to provide them?), and it's the same language which helps.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They tend to call them maintenance kits and come bundled with fusers since they wear out at about the same rate.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

How about this?

http://www.printerbase.co.uk/acatalog/samsung-4729fw-printer.php

Wireless and wired networking, duplex printing and duplex scanning with an ADF.

Edit: I think you're looking at a US model for the Brother unit, which is why you're having issues finding it. It seems identical to the DCP-7070DW so try looking for that.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 3, 2013

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Honestly that thing is so old and basic anyway I'd consider any spending on it to be a waste.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You'd do well to get an A3 mono laser for that price, let alone an MFD.

I think you're going to have to resign yourself to trawling eBay.

Edit: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-LaserJ...=item2a16d1b496

Low page count considering what that unit is capable of (300,000/month), just old.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 7, 2013

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You'll probably be happy with any Canon or Epson multifunction that is from the photo range. Most of them have Wi-Fi and scanners:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/printers_multifunction/photo_all_in_one_inkjet_printers

If you have to have an inkjet (which you do, since you want photos), then you can do a lot worse than a Canon.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Scanners built in to AIOs tend to be good enough for copies and that's about it. A dedicated photo scanner will be a much better choice for your requirements.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've had a lot of success with the HP Laserjet Enterprise P3015dn

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sort of the opposite of a printer but the Brother ADS-2600W network scanner is currently on a cashback or extended warranty promotion for UK goons:

http://www.tradescanners.com/brother/ads-2600w.php

Normally at that sort of price point you're getting a Fujitsu USB model, so to have something that is completely standalone and can scan to FTP, network shares, email with LDAP directory support etc is pretty great. Oh and it's duplex.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you've got loose toner then it points to either the fuser not getting hot enough or the toner not having a low enough melting point.

If you can connect it to a Windows PC and then see if you can adjust the fuser temperature or turn on altitude correction this might solve the problem. If it doesn't then you probably have a dodgy toner.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is the toner fused but in the wrong place, or is it loose?

It looks like the drum isn't holding charge so I'd try that first, if that doesn't fix it then it's one of the charge rollers which might be a new printer time. Is the waste toner bottle full up? If it is then whatever you do don't empty it, they are replaceable and you will kick so much dust up into the air trying to reuse it.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jan 9, 2014

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

PS vs PCL for me has always been down to what the printer was. When I looked after a fleet of Xerox machines we would always use the PS driver as the machines were fully-loaded so they had the licenses or hardware needed for this to work (Xerox test units). Everything else got PCL drivers.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Samsung M2825DW sounds like it should do the job

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I just see small colour printers as a huge money drain, since the toner carts are tiny and they have transfer belts instead of drums which are a lot easier to gently caress up until you're just randomly placing toner on the page.

I've never really had an issue with stuff like the HP Officejet Pro X series of machines, the initial cost is reasonably high though for a home printer.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Uploading stuff to Google Docs will OCR it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

PaperCut

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Canon stuff is pretty solid.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Once you hit the LaserJet Enterprise range then you're back in the familiar territory of the LJ4000 in terms of being built like tanks and just working.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's quite a step down from a P3015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

b2n posted:

maybe around 20 pages a month

Laser

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Mono laser at home, print the colour stuff at work.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

How come no one has came along and charged a lot for an inkjet And then offer cheap ink :shrug: I understand that's the money maker but you figured someone would do it to monopolize it

http://www.epson.co.uk/gb/en/viewcon/corporatesite/cms/index/11409

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Thanatosian posted:

I'm looking for a thermal mailing label printer for the office, possibly two. I'd prefer an ethernet interface for ease of sharing. Any advice? Any brand better than any other brand in particular?

Had very good experiences with Brother's range of stuff. Not as hardcore as the Zebra, but dirt cheap and a good range of media.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I honestly struggle to find fault with the HP OfficeJet Pro X range if it's replacing something cheap like a 400. You are unlikely to get an economical laser that can fit the budget and footprint requirements. Just make sure you buy non-poo poo paper.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Are you using decent coated paper? If you just shove 75gsm laser paper through them then you won't get vibrant colours out of it.

I'm a big fan of the pagewide inkjets that HP do, it's just a shame there's no A3 version. Just the ridiculous PageWide XL versions if you want larger than A4.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 22, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Any paper designed for pigmented ink should be fine. I think we settled on 100 gram Rey Jetstar. I have no idea what a US equivalent would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've been tasked with getting an Epson C3400 printer that was purchased with a USB interface onto a network. Someone has suggested a networked USB hub thing but honestly I'd rather burn money in the car park than try something like that out, let alone install it on a print server.

The user manual seems to suggest that the networked model just has an extra card in the back:

(lol at how it connects as well)

Epson don't want to say anything other than 'it can't be done'. I'm happy to get a proper service centre to do the work - add the board, flash the firmware if required etc. but I don't want to toss out a £700 printer and then replace it with the £100 more expensive network version just because someone did some incredibly short-sighted purchasing. Has anyone dealt with Epson stuff like this before?

• Locked thread