Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
I'll be honest.

I've bought two of the inkjet little brother versions of those brothers that are mentioned. I wanted lasers, but also my wife likes to print a lot of photos, and well I didn't have $400 around for a decent color one that I've bought for some professors.

They seem good quality, I live with a law student who prints like nobodies bidness (honestly, I may have printed 5-10 pages in the past 3 years, mostly I print to PDF and drop into into a cloud store), but between her and my wife, they burnt the ink like it was going out of style (2 months, before I got married, I bought a new inkjet every 2-3 years because I went to print photos, and the ink was dry, and cheaper to buy new).

There is a company on amazon called tonerpals that sells a lot of non-oem toner/ink for goddamned dirt cheap (10 bucks for 4x all the carts in my printer and one I bought for my dad) that no eyes I've shown to can tell a difference on photos.

So if you don't need a laser, and want a full featured inkjet/copier/fax/scanner on the network, you can normally pick them up for less than $125 and get cheap rear end ink for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

Lediur posted:

Can anyone recommend me a color MFC laser printer? Wireless would be nice, but not necessary. Fax is optional.

My budget is <= $500.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828113363

I buy these left and right for professor home printing/scanning/faxing needs and they are pretty loving awesome.

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

sbyers77 posted:

It's for real estate so it mostly line art, graphics and color text with the occasional image of a house - but just on plain paper. Not like photo-quality on glossy paper or anything like that. They aren't even really professional looking if you ask me, but it what she wants.

She's pretty much dismissed color lasers as too expensive and crummy prints, but you're right, it's pretty much exactly what she needs. Thanks for letting me know about the CIS. As you describe it I don't think it what we want then.

In the mean time we'll have to settle on a cheap inkjet, even just using factory ink cartridges. I'm probably going to go to Fry's tonight and pick up something that doesn't suck, so keep the suggestions coming.

Buy one of the small brother inkjet mfps. . . I have one of these at home, because honestly, I never loving print. . . my wife prints 5-10 3x5 cards a month of recipes, and when our roomate is here she burns through 30-100 pages a day printing poo poo for law school.

The beauty of them is, you can pick up a 16 pack of carts for them from amazon for around 10-12 bucks, and with the roomate, and going on a year, I still have 2x of each color and black cart.

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

FISHMANPET posted:

Just don't accidentally get a Xerox solid ink printer. We're finally moving away from those because... WTF is the point of a solid ink printer?

Keeps you in a job because no end user will ever figure out what a "wastebasket" is. . .

Which reminds me, I need to order another 3 of those monday.

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

fatman1683 posted:

Anyone have any experiences with aftermarket ink and/or toner?

The toner light on my Canon laser has started flashing after three years of use. New OEM toner cartridges are $70. However, a large variety of aftermarket cartridges are available from $30-50. I've read plenty of horror stories about aftermarket ink and toner being generally worthless or causing actual damage to equipment, but I don't want to spend more money than necessary on something that's only going to be used occasionally.

Read what people are saying about various aftermarket brands. Like with LD I have some printers that love them, unfortunately they gently caress up the chips somehow and lexmarks hate them.

I've had people buy some no name toner that outperformed OEM toner and didn't leak, then someone buy some from another no name, and that poo poo leak all over and about ruin the printer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

Fangs404 posted:

I have a question regarding Brother printers. I just got a brand new 2270DW today (which is loving awesome). I installed it just fine, and then I began configuring it for duplex. I noticed there's a duplex option in the web control panel (http://192.168.1.101/user/prnset.html), and there are also options in the Windows printer settings. What I discovered is that the Windows settings override whatever settings are set through the web interface. So, if I enabled duplex in the web interface and disabled it in Windows, it wouldn't print 2-sided. But if I disabled it in the web interface and enabled it in Windows, it would print 2-sided. I had the same question about my previous 2170W, but I didn't have an obvious way to test the settings (mainly, I was curious about toner save).

Basically, why does Brother even offer this web interface if it doesn't use those settings and uses the settings it receives from the OS instead?

Because there are other protocols to send the document directly to the printer and let the printer handle anything (ipp/email/ftp/etc). The settings in the web control panel handle junk from those kind of job submissions.

• Locked thread