Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it

a savvy frood posted:

Nobody has recommended Mass Effect yet?

Edit: Nvm, didn't see the "classic" part meaning "old."

Also it's not a goddamn FPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

doctor iono posted:

Follow-up recommendation, then. Have you played The Last Express? It's kind of a similar game, but it's set right before the outbreak of WWI, and the whole game takes place on a train. Lots of emphasis on well-written characters and story, and everything takes place in real-time. Very nonlinear.

Plus they used a rotoscoping animation tool thing so everything looks like this:

You should know that this game is also incredibly hard to follow if you leave it for a day or two. I found it pretty hard to follow when I knew what I was doing.
And yeah, everything is realtime, a mode of gameplay that I usually hate, and it's entirely possible (probable) to miss out on necessary poo poo or awesome little scenes. But it's okay, because you can actually rewinds and fastforward time to pretty much anywhere you want. This single feature makes the game a freaking awesome experience. It also has lovely fight sequences that are sort of fun but get annoying fast, so the game lets you skip them. There are also cute lesbians.

Another thing you should know is that the game looks far better than in screenshots. In still images it looks like total crap, but when moving it's gorgeous.

Jetsetlemming posted:

You mentioned System Shock 2, but have you played System Shock 1? That's from 1995 right on the nose.
Yeah, I've been avoiding SS1 for like 5 years because I tried to play it after the ss2 masterpiece and the interface was horribly confusing. I've been meaning to try it again but there are other games I'd like to try that I'm less afraid of.

al-azad posted:

suggestions
Thanks, these look interesting, I'll try them if I can find them.

Also what is going on here - that first player character is a freaking bird. Not a birdman, an actual loving bird that someone dressed in a cape. That bird has no idea what's going on. :saddowns:

And this has got to be the cutest skeleton ever. :3: Holy poo poo look at him he's freaking adorable

quote:

That's Red Alert which is the most ridiculous continuing game storyline I've ever seen. The main series is very much serious.
I dunno man, I played the original C&C a while ago and it was pretty drat hammy. :colbert: My BF recommended the game on the strength of the hilarious fun the acting dudes have, and he was right.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Oh and I'm currently trying to play the first Ultima Underworld but I'm having a lot of trouble getting it to run smoothly in DOSbox. I mean, it looks fine, the sound is fine, but the lag is horrible to the point where it's unplayable. Messing with the frameskip and CPU cycles helps a bit but it's still horrible. Seems to use a similar interface/engine to Daggerfall, and that worked fine with the settings Bethusda provided, so I know playability must be possible. Anyone have any recommended settings? :(

Tried the second one briefly and it's the same deal.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

quote:

Also what is going on here - that first player character is a freaking bird. Not a birdman, an actual loving bird that someone dressed in a cape. That bird has no idea what's going on.

That's a kenku, a race of natural born assassins and spies in D&D canon. They're my favorite race and sadly underrated post-2000 because of "furry" allegation (to most gamers now, any bipedal animal is instantly a furry).

quote:

Anyone have any recommended settings?

Set emulation to auto and cycles to max. I can't remember the settings to get sound and voice to work but I'm playing with it now.

Otter Wate
May 10, 2007
Do I laugh now, or wait 'til it gets funny?
I guess I have a pretty weird request, here's what I'm looking for:

A social climbing game - it can involve combat, but I'm more interested in RPG and puzzle solving elements. I've tried the Sims and that's not really what I'm after. The Guild has some of the elements I'm looking for, but it's a little too focused on economy-building.

I only have a PC unfortunately. Any and all recommendations are welcome. My laptop's system is a little outdated and my gaming computer is in the shop; when I get it back I'll be trying Mass Effect since I enjoyed the KOTOR games. I realize the kind of game I'm looking for might not exist. That said, any suggestions?

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!
I want the guy looking for an adventure game to play The Last Express instead of the also-recommended Hotel Dusk, which is the same game except lovely.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Otter Wate posted:

I guess I have a pretty weird request, here's what I'm looking for:

A social climbing game - it can involve combat, but I'm more interested in RPG and puzzle solving elements. I've tried the Sims and that's not really what I'm after. The Guild has some of the elements I'm looking for, but it's a little too focused on economy-building.

I only have a PC unfortunately. Any and all recommendations are welcome. My laptop's system is a little outdated and my gaming computer is in the shop; when I get it back I'll be trying Mass Effect since I enjoyed the KOTOR games. I realize the kind of game I'm looking for might not exist. That said, any suggestions?

You might be interested in Republic: The Revolution which just so happens to be available on Good Old Games. You play a revolutionist during the collapse of the Soviet Union whose goal it is to establish control over the country. You can do so through social networking, bribery, intimidation like kidnapping, or straight up using force to exert control.

There's a series of games called Democracy that you may enjoy. I haven't played them personally but the whole point of them is climbing the political ladder.

Otter Wate
May 10, 2007
Do I laugh now, or wait 'til it gets funny?

al-azad posted:

You might be interested in Republic: The Revolution which just so happens to be available on Good Old Games. You play a revolutionist during the collapse of the Soviet Union whose goal it is to establish control over the country. You can do so through social networking, bribery, intimidation like kidnapping, or straight up using force to exert control.

There's a series of games called Democracy that you may enjoy. I haven't played them personally but the whole point of them is climbing the political ladder.

Yeah I've been looking to try Republic. I couldn't tell if it was super linear; I like how in KOTOR your actions tend to influence later parts of the game. That's always something I look for since it ups the chances of me replaying it. I tried Democracy, but it's much more of a cut and dry political simulator, which is fun but not really what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the recommendation; I'll read some reviews of Republic before buying on GOG.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Otter Wate posted:

Yeah I've been looking to try Republic. I couldn't tell if it was super linear; I like how in KOTOR your actions tend to influence later parts of the game. That's always something I look for since it ups the chances of me replaying it. I tried Democracy, but it's much more of a cut and dry political simulator, which is fun but not really what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the recommendation; I'll read some reviews of Republic before buying on GOG.

Republic is an amazing concept but it is the clunkiest game I have ever played. I used to scoff at complaints of the interface and bugs in games - they were never things that truly hampered my enjoyment of a game, until I played Republic. Also, in practice it plays out like a pretty flavorless strategy game, rather than a game centered around anything actually political.

:( What could have been.

TheRedEye posted:

I want the guy looking for an adventure game to play The Last Express instead of the also-recommended Hotel Dusk, which is the same game except lovely.
To be fair, there's not a whole ton of games out there like that. In my opinion, anyone would be doing themselves a disservice not by playing both. Not that it matters, he's already played Hotel Dusk. (In which case, yeah, he really should play The Last Express, which is admittedly better.)

scott14277
Dec 24, 2008

Such grace...
I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but figured it wasn't worth making a new one...
I LOVED the Myst games, especially Riven and Revelation, but have never again seen anything on par with them since. I am specifically looking for a puzzle game driven my non-traditional and often mechanical puzzles.
I have seen plenty of games use your standard fare puzzles such as "Simon" and "Lights Out." Some even using tile-matching. Myst puzzles were always much less obvious in the workings. Half of solving the puzzle was trying to figure out what the puzzle was.
I was also a huge fan of the exquisite graphics and animation, and in the case of Revelation, the magnificent story line. These are optional, though.
Also, any of the games I have tried that are any good I have been able to solve in a single evening. I need something that I will be bashing my head against for weeks.
Hmmm... I hope I gave enough info there, and not so much that I started to ramble. Any suggestions?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Otter Wate posted:

Republic is more of a board game than anything else. Take that how you will.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I assume it's cool to use this thread to ask for recommendations? I've got a hankering for any sort of CRPG that's come out in the last four or five years that I haven't played. It's not that I don't like old games, I've just played all of them. In recent years I've played all of Bioware's stuff, Drakensang, and uh.. Fallout 3/Oblivion, The Witcher, that's it I think. I can't find anything else of recent vintage. There was a goon that posted about another German RPG a while ago that I think should be out by now where you turn into a dragon or something but I can't remember the name of it or find the thread. Help me :(

quarkman
Feb 7, 2006

I'ma fucking KILL you Spuds Mackenzie

Machismo posted:

And for you, my perscription is:
Arcanum.

A loving bad-rear end magic meets steam-punk RPG. Very cool.

Thank you for reminding me about this game, I used to play it back in the day, and I can't wait to get my hands on it again.

Expendable Henchman
Apr 7, 2009
What games are similar to Anachronox? I'm looking for sci-fi RPGs that aren't Deus Ex or System Shock or KOTOR.

Thanks!

CAPTAIN SHIT
Mar 10, 2001

guff
Divine Divinity is fairly old and pretty good. It plays like Diablo but the story and combat are deeper and it's got a large overworld.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

quarkman posted:

Thank you for reminding me about this game, I used to play it back in the day, and I can't wait to get my hands on it again.

I'm going to repeat this thanks, got it yesterday and switched it on. Before I knew it, it was 2am. Brilliant game and so much fun, and I adore the steampunk aesthetic.

TheRedEye posted:

I'm definitely going to check it out, I love the art style and if there's one thing that can instantly draw me into a game regardless of how lovely it is, it's interesting art. I've played far more bad games than I should've just because the artwork intrigued me.

(I'm a girl, by the way)

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Wallet posted:

I assume it's cool to use this thread to ask for recommendations? I've got a hankering for any sort of CRPG that's come out in the last four or five years that I haven't played. It's not that I don't like old games, I've just played all of them. In recent years I've played all of Bioware's stuff, Drakensang, and uh.. Fallout 3/Oblivion, The Witcher, that's it I think. I can't find anything else of recent vintage. There was a goon that posted about another German RPG a while ago that I think should be out by now where you turn into a dragon or something but I can't remember the name of it or find the thread. Help me :(

Yeah, the idea of the thread is for anyone to come in and ask for recommendations, to keep the thread moving.

Have you played Mount and Blade? It's pretty actiony, but it has a lot of great RPG systems in there, it has an amazing mod community, and it's the only recent game I can think of along the lines of what you're talking about.

Oh, and the German RPG you're talking about is Divinity 2, I believe.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Expendable Henchman posted:

What games are similar to Anachronox? I'm looking for sci-fi RPGs that aren't Deus Ex or System Shock or KOTOR.

Thanks!
Star Ocean. Note: Nothing like Deus Ex or System Shock or KOTOR.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Expendable Henchman posted:

Thanks!
While it doesn't play anything like Anachronox and is not really an RPG (there are stats but they're mostly pointless), it seems that a lot of people who like Anachronox also like Omikron: The Nomad Soul. It's 3rd person Action-Adventure with puzzles more akin to Point'n Click Adventures than the usual lever-pulling and box-pushing. You can also take control of other peoples' bodies, altough this feature is underdeveloped to the point of just being a gimmick. Combat is handled in form of a clunky one on one Beat'em Up or an abysmal FPS. The game has other rough edges as well, but if you can look past that, it's a good adventure in an awsome setting.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm wondering if there are any games like Pathologic out there: specifically, what interests me most about the game is the fact that the entire thing takes place in a single, small village. Technically, the entire world is available to you, and the entire world is pretty small, but it evolves as you play and progress the plot. Is there anything else like that at all?

(Note: This is not the same as a sandbox title, not GTAs or anything by Bethesda. This is a small game world.)

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Morpheus posted:

I'm wondering if there are any games like Pathologic out there: specifically, what interests me most about the game is the fact that the entire thing takes place in a single, small village. Technically, the entire world is available to you, and the entire world is pretty small, but it evolves as you play and progress the plot. Is there anything else like that at all?

(Note: This is not the same as a sandbox title, not GTAs or anything by Bethesda. This is a small game world.)

Thought about this one for a long time, and I can only think of one recommendation for now. Have you played Bully? It's by the same developers as GTA but takes place in a much more limited setting - a school and a small surrounding town. The seasons progress as you go through the game and the school goes through a ton of cool little changes.

It is a sandbox title, but with a little more focus than GTA and obviously a tighter setting.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Corridor posted:

I've just spent a coupla hours with some of the games recommended and Strife is pretty good. I think it is actually the game I played when I was little, the one I unintentionally visualised when asking for this stuff. As far as I can tell it's just a Doom game with more talking and less crazy poo poo, all I've done so far is explore the town and find out where the first 'dungeon' or whatever is.

Most amazing thing about it was the character art and the voices. They actually aren't poo poo. For some reason I was 100% certain they would be. The dude's voice in the intro is hilarious.

Daggerful was both fun and horrible in the starting dungeon, which is HARD. After I emerged with a ton of awesome magic armour, none of which my class can equip, I got to a town and it just became horrible without the fun. I can only assume I'm playing it wrong, because it just seemed to be an annoying huge maze of houses which are randomly inaccessable, and a bunch of retards who all say the same poo poo. Having a village the actual size of a village probably seems a great idea but I thought it was nightmarishly boring.

edit: I also can't pick any locks, and the telepathic guards instantly know when I've opened a chest that isn't mine even if there's no one else within three floors.

Daggerfall is fun but it's slow to get started in. If you pick it back up, you'll want to join some guilds (blue buildings on your map) and do some quests, otherwise start following the main storyline. For money, you can go to the rusty ogre lodge in Daggerfall province (search on the map), then go upstairs and save your game - when you reload all the chests up there will be filled with daedric weapons, and you can just load up on stuff that sells for a crapload of money, plus you'll have some of the best weapons in the game if you keep them. Also turn on cheat mode, and then you can press 1 to move at 6x the speed, which makes running around town more bearable, and lets you do quests in dungeons a lot more easily since you can just use [ and ] to jump around to quest locations, then cast Mark/Recall to get out.

The Might and Magic games are great too, you should definitely give them a shot.

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009
gently caress wrong thread

Jack_tripper fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 9, 2009

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Gothic, maybe? It has that same feel of an isolated community stuck with itself that evolves and changes as the plot moves forward. It's set in a dark fantasy prison colony, where a magical barrier was put up so nothing that goes in can come out (except dead and non-living things because it's also a mining colony). The prisoners have taken over and make demands of the kingdom for supplies and luxury items in return for the mined ore. Anyone who commits any crime in the kingdom is sentenced to life in this prison becuase the need for more miners and ore is great, as the kingdom's fighting a losing war with invading orks.

You play as a new prisoner who makes it his goal to find a way to bring down the barrier and escape. Along the way you get fully ingrained with the society's different aspects and can choose to join one faction or the other and play them off one another, and as you progress things can change, people can die or betray you, etc, just like Pathologic.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Morpheus posted:

STALKER is truly the closest thing to Pathologic IMO. After owning it for 2 years I downloaded Oblivion Lost and devoted some serious time to play it. Don't regret a single minute. It's sort of sand-boxy in that you have a main quest but you can take on several smaller quests but the world is persistent unlike Bethesda's games. Every human character (that isn't a bandit or randomly generated enemy) is tracked and it's pretty cool to see a bunch of guys you know by name because you traded some cheap supplies with them camp in a certain spot then return an hour later to find them in a pitched fight with monsters/bandits. Each time you play enemies will do different things or get "bold" if they form up in groups.

An area you once cleared may be cleared three or four times you pass through it and then some other faction kicks down the doors and sets up camp. That's the kind of stuff I look for in "sandbox" games but developers seem to think "bigger is better" instead of actually giving the player stuff to do. When you think about it, what's more fun? A literal sandbox playground a mile long or a small one with lots of friends to play with?

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Jetsetlemming posted:

Gothic, maybe? It has that same feel of an isolated community stuck with itself that evolves and changes as the plot moves forward. It's set in a dark fantasy prison colony, where a magical barrier was put up so nothing that goes in can come out (except dead and non-living things because it's also a mining colony). The prisoners have taken over and make demands of the kingdom for supplies and luxury items in return for the mined ore. Anyone who commits any crime in the kingdom is sentenced to life in this prison becuase the need for more miners and ore is great, as the kingdom's fighting a losing war with invading orks.

You play as a new prisoner who makes it his goal to find a way to bring down the barrier and escape. Along the way you get fully ingrained with the society's different aspects and can choose to join one faction or the other and play them off one another, and as you progress things can change, people can die or betray you, etc, just like Pathologic.

Yeah, Gothic is a pretty good action/RPG/adventure game. Gothic 2 is good as well, although the setting isn't as interesting as Gothic 1.

But stay away from everything named Gothic besides this two games. Gothic 3 is bad, Gothic 4 is pure crap.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Vidmaster posted:

Daggerfall is fun but it's slow to get started in.
Thanks for all the advice, I'll give it a shot again later if I get bored with all these other suggestions.

scott14277 posted:

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but figured it wasn't worth making a new one...

Now added to OP - I am pretty much done with my OP request now, having received many great suggestions to go on, so don't be afraid to hijack this thread for all your own personal game request needs! All the cool kids are doin' it.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Onkel Hedwig posted:

Yeah, Gothic is a pretty good action/RPG/adventure game. Gothic 2 is good as well, although the setting isn't as interesting as Gothic 1.

But stay away from everything named Gothic besides this two games. Gothic 3 is bad, Gothic 4 is pure crap.
Gothic 4? Is that out yet? I know Jowood is making a Gothic without Piranha bytes (Who are making a new IP with a similar design called Risen, about being shipwrecked on a magical island or something like that), and Jowood internally developed games tend to be completely awful, but I haven't heard any actual news one way or the other about Gothic 4.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Jetsetlemming posted:

Gothic 4? Is that out yet? I know Jowood is making a Gothic without Piranha bytes (Who are making a new IP with a similar design called Risen, about being shipwrecked on a magical island or something like that), and Jowood internally developed games tend to be completely awful, but I haven't heard any actual news one way or the other about Gothic 4.

It's called ArcaniA, for whatever reason and it's not out yet. Due for 2010.

Any news you could find are most likely in German.

/edit: Here's a short preview.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Sep 9, 2009

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Jetsetlemming posted:

Sorry, I meant Gothic 3 plus the addon (Gothic 3.5 if you will). The original Gothic 3 had an horrendous amount of bugs that made it virtually unplayable. Like missing crucial quest items, flying wolfes and no female models in the entire game(!).

There were only a handful of females in Gothic 1 but that made sense since it was supposed to be a mining colony for male criminals.

Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods is even more (Gothic 3.5) wasn't developed by Piranha Bytes but some cheap rear end Indian Studio and is unplayable as well. It's even got typos on the box and booklet.

Jowood officially ran this brand into the ground.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

HenryEx posted:

It's called ArcaniA, for whatever reason and it's not out yet. Due for 2010.

Any news you could find are most likely in German.

/edit: Here's a short preview.
Wow, that actually looks pretty good in the screenshots. I'm surprised. No expectations at all for gameplay but the art style looks really neat.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

There was a PS2 series called Shadow Hearts that I remember reading about and being interested in. The thing is, I think there are 3 games and you have to play them in a certain order but some people say not to bother with certain ones?

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

There was a PS2 series called Shadow Hearts that I remember reading about and being interested in. The thing is, I think there are 3 games and you have to play them in a certain order but some people say not to bother with certain ones?
The first of the games was on the PS1 I think, called Koudelka or something like that. I don't recall it being anything too special though.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Played Bully, that was pretty fun. Played Gothic, that was awesome. Then I played Gothic 2, and that was even more awesome. Then I played Gothic 3 and then it wasn't awesome anymore.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Wallet posted:

There was a goon that posted about another German RPG a while ago that I think should be out by now where you turn into a dragon or something but I can't remember the name of it or find the thread. Help me :(
It could be Drakensang, which is indeed from Germany. It is a pretty standard (though not D&D) fantasy rpg - mystical elves who love the woods, industrial dwarves who love beer, you know the drill - where supposedly extint dragons play a big part in the mythology. You can't turn into a dragon though, at least not as far as I played (near the endgame).

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

kissekatt posted:

It could be Drakensang, which is indeed from Germany. It is a pretty standard (though not D&D) fantasy rpg - mystical elves who love the woods, industrial dwarves who love beer, you know the drill - where supposedly extint dragons play a big part in the mythology. You can't turn into a dragon though, at least not as far as I played (near the endgame).

As was stated, it's Divinity 2: Ego Draconis. The german version is out, and you can patch it to have English Text. The english version won't be out till the 15th I believe. It is a really cool game from what I played through it. The difficulty curve is a little wonky though. Going from barely surviving a fight with a small pack of skeletons to raping dragon babies in seconds back to barely surviving against some goblins again. Very gear dependent.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3180351

blueberrypudding
Sep 3, 2009
Does anyone know a good non-Blizzard, non-Ensemble multiplayer RTS? I tire of Starcraft, and my friend isn't keen on the AoE series, so we're looking for a neutral title to play.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

blueberrypudding posted:

Does anyone know a good non-Blizzard, non-Ensemble multiplayer RTS? I tire of Starcraft, and my friend isn't keen on the AoE series, so we're looking for a neutral title to play.

Company of Heroes is considered one of the best RTS games out there. Dawn of War 2 is also out, and from what I understand, is kind of similar in gameplay, but of course set in the future.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Bluetooth human being posted:

Company of Heroes is considered one of the best RTS games out there. Dawn of War 2 is also out, and from what I understand, is kind of similar in gameplay, but of course set in the future.

Dawn of War 2 is similar, but only in multiplayer. The single player campaign is more of a real-time tactical game, no base building or anything like that.

Edit: Which I guess you want, saying as how you said multiplayer and all that. But I'd still recommend Company of Heroes over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WastelandTraveler
Sep 8, 2009

When you’ve been here this long, nothing and everything makes sense.

blueberrypudding posted:

Command & Conquer Generals is always fun, the new Red Alert 3 has coop with the campaign mode and is actually quite entertaining to play as well. If those do not suffice I would recommend trying Rise of Nations, Homeworld, Total Annihilation (or supreme commander), Total War series, Empire Earth series (first one was excellent), Sins of A Solar Empire.