Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psygnosis
Jul 30, 2003
I'm looking for a game like The Guild 2. Basically these games are about managing a dynasty and fighting against rival dynasties while running a few businesses. It's not like any of the paradox games(I.E. hearts of Iron/Europa Universals) or the ANNO Series; instead it's closer to The sims combine with one of the business tycoon games. Is there anything like this out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Psygnosis posted:

I'm looking for a game like The Guild 2. Basically these games are about managing a dynasty and fighting against rival dynasties while running a few businesses. It's not like any of the paradox games(I.E. hearts of Iron/Europa Universals) or the ANNO Series; instead it's closer to The sims combine with one of the business tycoon games. Is there anything like this out there.

Patrician IV and the expansion Rise of a Dynasty sounds like it would be what you're looking for. You take control of a merchant dynasty in the Hanseatic League and you are tasked with building a fortune via buying and selling goods in northern Europe. Later you can build your own production facilities, running your competitors in the cities out of business because you control all of the supply. You can also become elected mayor and whatnot of the cities, eventually running them as your own personal cartel. It's basically Free Market Capitalism: The Game because the only restrictions on how you can do business are based on supply and demand. There's even pirates! YOU can become a pirate! You can organize and run your own fleet of pirate ships to destroy rival shipping convoys so you can quite literally eliminate your competition.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

pigdog posted:

Bioshock: Infinite has the best AI companion out there, but for all that effort put into her she still doesn't participate in fights.

I think what you're asking is impossible, since even flesh and bone human companions in MOBA games will appear as completely useless idiots.

Aaaaaaw, oh well, something to look forward to.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Do get Bioshock: Infinite though, as it's the closest thing to what you want. It has a companion with a personality, who is helpful and doesn't get in your way, and it's a good game in its own right.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Dongattack posted:

A game with capable, sentient and smartish AI companions? Good AI, not good scripting (The Half-life 2 girl was really good in her little scenes, but that's scripting just to illustrate). For comparison i think the Skyrim companions are utter shite.

SW: Republic Commando has pretty good companions. But in the same way as Bioshock Infinite I guess; they almost never get in your way and don't get themselves killed in stupid ways most of the time.

silentpenguins
May 9, 2013

Abysswalking
That Van Helsing game made me want a similar action RPG to mess around with. Torchlight 2 came to mind but it's not on sale anymore (was 7 bucks a few days ago). Any recommendations?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Psygnosis posted:

It's from Paradox but Crusader Kings 2 might fit the bill. It's essentially the concept of the Guild games at a larger scale with you taking control of a minor or major noble and plotting out a dynasty over centuries.

Patrician IV (get the expansion as it fixes a ton of issues with the game) focuses more on be oming a major business tycoon if that's the side you like though. CK2 is exclusively about the politics.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!
I really wish they'd just go ahead and make The Guild 3. There are games that share some of its concepts, but nothing that is quite the medieval racketeering simulator that is The Guild 2. And I've played that game to death.

silentpenguins posted:

That Van Helsing game made me want a similar action RPG to mess around with. Torchlight 2 came to mind but it's not on sale anymore (was 7 bucks a few days ago). Any recommendations?

Similar in what way? Setting, gameplay, loot, story or what?

The good, new ARPGs right now are Path of Exile and Marvel Heroes, but I don't know what you're looking for.

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION
I'm looking for a game about surviving in a hostile and harsh environment, preferably something sort of sandboxy or free-roaming rather than linear. An atmosphere similar to that of STALKER or Metro 2033 would be nice, just in the sense that every part of the world feels dangerous and your goal is purely to keep on surviving rather than to grow to be some kind of super powerful badass or anything.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Davos posted:

I'm looking for a game about surviving in a hostile and harsh environment, preferably something sort of sandboxy or free-roaming rather than linear. An atmosphere similar to that of STALKER or Metro 2033 would be nice, just in the sense that every part of the world feels dangerous and your goal is purely to keep on surviving rather than to grow to be some kind of super powerful badass or anything.
I haven't played it, but from what I hear Don't Starve fits your description.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Davos posted:

Accordion Man posted:

I haven't played it, but from what I hear Don't Starve fits your description.

Don't Starve is literally what you're describing.

Nazi Zombies
Mar 18, 2009

Dark Souls

That's it; we can close this thread now.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Davos posted:

PC: Don't Starve
360: State of Decay, but try the demo first as it's a rather unique game

Dark Souls does actually somewhat fit what you're looking for as well as the way you become a badass is mostly through learning how to play the game.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.

Liberatore posted:

I really wish they'd just go ahead and make The Guild 3. There are games that share some of its concepts, but nothing that is quite the medieval racketeering simulator that is The Guild 2. And I've played that game to death.

Similar in what way? Setting, gameplay, loot, story or what?

The good, new ARPGs right now are Path of Exile and Marvel Heroes, but I don't know what you're looking for.

I don't know if I would even consider Marvel Heroes good, I'm not very far but there seem to be a lot of complaints and the combat is already getting really stale for me at around level 9. Path of Exile just got (or is just about to get) a pretty huge rework, previously it was the framework for a great game but with a lot of things that prevented it from being sustainable; a lack of variety in builds, fairly boring non-varied skills, massive imbalances between ranged and melee characters, and an awful economy. This next phase of the beta is aimed at fixing most of these things. I don't know how it's actually going to work out, but I do have faith in the PoE devs.

Titan Quest is good if you like singleplayer ARPGs, or have friends to play with, but has a pretty weak skill tree and character development system. Torchlight 2 is pretty soulless, Torchlight 1 was a better game but I also found it soulless, D3 is the WoW of ARPGs (extremely simplified, extremely accessible, no variety). Dungeon Siege 3 is alright but it's a Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance style ARPG rather than a Diablo/Van Helsing style RPG. There hasn't been a Diablo 2-quality ARPG since Diablo 2, and if you're a fan of ARPGs and never played D2, you should, the biggest problem with the game is literally just that it can't be played in modern high resolutions. I don't think it will be topped any time soon, it had the absolute best itemization of any ARPG, tons of spells, lots of classes, and combat that didn't involve kiting or graveyard-rushing enemies with massive HP pools that kill you in 1-2 hits, which is a plague that seems to affect every modern ARPG.

So, play D2 if you haven't, and play Path of Exile or Titan Quest if you're sick of D2.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I'd also like to add Sacred 2 Gold to the list of Diablo-likes. It's a bit janky and had a lot of bugs at release but nowadays it's a rather excellent game in the same vein that doesn't take itself too seriously and yet has more soul than a lot of its type.

But yes, some more idea of what you're looking for would be nice. I mean, I could even recommend Dawn of War 2 based on the singleplayer/co-op part which is basically an action RPG where you control multiple characters.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Mokinokaro posted:

I'd also like to add Sacred 2 Gold to the list of Diablo-likes. It's a bit janky and had a lot of bugs at release but nowadays it's a rather excellent game in the same vein that doesn't take itself too seriously and yet has more soul than a lot of its type.

But yes, some more idea of what you're looking for would be nice. I mean, I could even recommend Dawn of War 2 based on the singleplayer/co-op part which is basically an action RPG where you control multiple characters.

Holy poo poo, does Sacred 2 really take 20gb? How long is that game? I wish it was cheaper now because I really want to buy it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ariza posted:

Holy poo poo, does Sacred 2 really take 20gb? How long is that game? I wish it was cheaper now because I really want to buy it.

Length varies a lot. It's an open world Diablo-like so there's tons of content. Each character (class) has some unique quests and most can play both an evil or good campaign as well, which varies mostly in quest objectives mind.

Also, it's 14 GB here. Might need more for the initial install.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Ariza posted:

The game is gigantic, if you want to do everything it'll probably take you several hundred hours.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Ashenai posted:

The game is gigantic, if you want to do everything it'll probably take you several hundred hours.

Mokinokaro posted:

Length varies a lot. It's an open world Diablo-like so there's tons of content. Each character (class) has some unique quests and most can play both an evil or good campaign as well, which varies mostly in quest objectives mind.

Also, it's 14 GB here. Might need more for the initial install.

Well poo poo, I think I'll get this. I only vaguely remember the first one but this sounds interesting and worth the $20. Thanks!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

This is more "recommend me a mod" and an obscure one at that, but here it is: Are there any good race mods for Dawn of War: Dark Crusade? I'd like to see Tyranids and maybe Dark Eldar, but I don't know how well-balanced the existing ones are.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Ashenai posted:

Here is a pretty good video explaining the combat in Witcher 2. It's definitely worth checking out, it's really an excellent RPG in many ways.

Is there anything on the level of The Witcher games that also allows you to customize your character's appearance? I admit I kind of like to play dress up in my RPGs as well.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

BigRed0427 posted:

Is there anything on the level of The Witcher games that also allows you to customize your character's appearance? I admit I kind of like to play dress up in my RPGs as well.

The Witcher 2 has combat inspired by Demon's Souls and the Souls games are basically dress up at heart, since it basically governs all of your equipment choices.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

I'm buying a new PC, and I'm looking for the most resource-hungry games to test the hardware. Last time I went looking Crysis 1 was king of that niche, but it's six years old now.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

The Witcher 2 at max with ubersampling will bring your computer to its knees. There's also Crysis 3 which just came out a few months ago.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

EightDeer posted:

I'm buying a new PC, and I'm looking for the most resource-hungry games to test the hardware. Last time I went looking Crysis 1 was king of that niche, but it's six years old now.

Well then use Crysis 3 for the most up-to-date system crushing specs :v:.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

I found Metro:LL to be harder on my machine than any other recent game.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well then use Crysis 3 for the most up-to-date system crushing specs :v:.

Crysis 3 is actually a lot less demanding than the original game; the engine itself is better optimized, and the environments aren't as huge because they needed to be able to run on consoles as well.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Anyone know an MMO with character building options as deep as Dungeons and dragons online?

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
I recently tried out The Punisher for PS2 and immediately bought it for PC. (We have a regular 'old-schoolish' night where we get high, get some pizza and play stuff from the SNES / Genesis to PS2 / Xbox, so I could've borrowed it off him, but I prefer playing anything shooty on PC if I can). I really loved the fast, yet smooth and pretty stylish (especially for a PS2) action. What I really loved was the sort of 'score attack' it had, where killing enemies quick while looking cool and without getting hit gave you extra points. The levels are usually fairly short, sweet and action packed and weapon choice gives you some replayability, plus I don't always nail those interrogations (The controls for some of them are a bit wobbly with a mouse).

I'm looking for similar stuff basically. In the same vein I really enjoyed Bulletstorm, and I was also a fan of Devil May Cry (haven't tried out the 360 one though) and Ninja Gaiden (although that was less about the score and more about the extreme satisfaction of the difficulty curve).

If anyone has any recommendations for that, I'd love them. I've got a decent gaming PC (I can play most things on high settings and generally everything on 'okay' settings) and a 360, but I prefer playing games on my PC when possible as I generally prefer a mouse and keyboard and can always plug a controller in when I need one.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Crysis 3 is actually a lot less demanding than the original game; the engine itself is better optimized, and the environments aren't as huge because they needed to be able to run on consoles as well.

I have a 7950 and an i5-3570 with 12GB of RAM. Crysis 3 on Ultra at 1080p crushes my system; I can only get 30fps on Very High. It's the single most demanding game in existence right now overall. Ubersampling might beat it but it's not as fun because Witcher 2 doesn't necessarily benefit as much from it as Crysis 3 does from its graphics options. Metro Last Light is the only other thing I can think of that even really touches it, but it's less demanding, from what I've seen, than Crysis 3.

It does have some huge environments, though they're not as foliage-dense as Crysis 1's.

I don't have an Nvidia card for PhysX though.

Some other good looking recent games include Max Payne 3, Tomb Raider, and Sleeping Dogs, but none of them are as taxing as Crysis 3 or M:LL. With mods Skyrim(ENB) and Crysis 2(Maldohd) can be pretty brutal on your system, too.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 7, 2013

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

StashAugustine posted:

This is more "recommend me a mod" and an obscure one at that, but here it is: Are there any good race mods for Dawn of War: Dark Crusade? I'd like to see Tyranids and maybe Dark Eldar, but I don't know how well-balanced the existing ones are.

Soulstorm has Dark Eldar so sadly there's no mods for them.

This list will hopefully help you. The tyranid mod is kind of awful but Witchhunters is really good (a better "race" than the Sisters of Battle from Soulstorm I'd argue.)

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Maybe you guys can help me out. I'm looking for some game recommendations for my wife. She has pretty specific things she looks for:

1) Well told story with strong characters. Preferably strong female characters.
2) No twitch gameplay. Management gameplay or strategic gameplay is much more preferable.
3) Having combat is fine, but it's a detriment if the system is too easy or too samey.
4) Really long tutorials are really off-putting and have destroyed her interest in otherwise-good games.

Let me give you an idea of what she has liked and disliked:

-LOVED the entire Mass Effect series (although complained about the repetitiveness of the combat system).
-LOVES Civ 4. Loves it even more with war turned off.
-Love/Hate relationship with Dwarf Fortress
-Enjoyed Fable I and II
-Enjoyed Age of Wonders II: Shadowmagic
-Enjoyed Sims 2. Has dabbled occasionally in SimCity.
-We tried various Elder Scrolls games. Found the combat system to be really boring (at least in low levels) and plot was too open-ended to hold her attention.
-Loved Final Fantasy 12. Hated Final Fantasy 13. Was disinterested in any of the older ones (tried X on her, she got bored in the tutorial areas and quit).
-Enjoyed Star Ocean 3 up until the big plot twist, which lost her completely. You know the one.
-GTA / Red Dead Redemption held her attention for about 10 minutes each. Those ten minutes in GTA 4 were hilarious - she punched a pregnant lady in the face and then bystanders beat Niko to death in response.
-No FPS's.
-I think she would like the combat systems and management inherent in Pokemon, but she finds the game world too childish.

Any thoughts? I know it's a tall order. As far as systems, we've got 360, Wii, PC, Mac, DS. 360 or Wii is probably preferable, but not a dealbreaker.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
It doesn't perfectly fit all of that but I think odds are pretty good that she'd enjoy Beyond Good and Evil.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

Funktor posted:

Maybe you guys can help me out. I'm looking for some game recommendations for my wife. She has pretty specific things she looks for:

2) No twitch gameplay. Management gameplay or strategic gameplay is much more preferable.
3) Having combat is fine, but it's a detriment if the system is too easy or too samey.
4) Really long tutorials are really off-putting and have destroyed her interest in otherwise-good games.

Dragon Age Origins? If she liked the ME series, this is a natural fit.

Very well told story, with memorable characters, and excellent banter.
Combat is much more detailed than the ME series, and is customizable, or in your complete control.

Remote User fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 8, 2013

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Funktor posted:

Does she like adventure games, because I could probably recommend several that fit the criteria, i.e. Walking Dead, The Longest Journey.

Paper Mario 2 is a great game if you have a GameCube, its combat is simple yet fun and the writing is really charming. I'd also recommend Chrono Trigger if you have a DS.

I would suggest Civ 5 but that's more war focused than 4, though the upcoming expansion might fix this.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

Does she like adventure games, because I could probably recommend several that fit the criteria, i.e. Walking Dead, The Longest Journey.
Seconding The Longest Journey. Meets all 4 criteria.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Dominoes posted:

Seconding The Longest Journey. Meets all 4 criteria.
Once I think about the beginning of the game is kinda slow-going, but unlike FF13 its actually very much worth getting through.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

Once I think about the beginning of the game is kinda slow-going, but unlike FF13 its actually very much worth getting through.
I think the drawn-out beginning makes the rest of the game more effectively project a rabithole of awesome. Leaving this vague because the less you know about it before playing, the better. Stay away from Wikipedia articles, reviews, descriptions etc.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jun 8, 2013

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Dominoes posted:

I think the drawn-out beginning makes the rest of the game more effectively project a rabithole of awesome.
Yeah, and it really helps build the characters too. It really doesn't drag down the game aside from a certain puzzle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Funktor posted:

Sadly, that makes it a very small pool :smith:

Beyond Good and Evil is amazing and not too difficult... it focuses more on stealth (and photography!) than combat, and the story is pretty interesting. Jade is one of the best female characters of all time and it is a crime they killed the series.

Longest Journey is definitely an option but all the caveats that go with adventure games come with it (use a walkthrough for the loving inflatable duck puzzle...)

I would also like to suggest Portal and Portal 2. They're a little bit twitchy but it's not combat twitchy. The main character is female, but it kinda doesn't really matter... fortunately GlaDOS is amazing and can still fill the strong female character role (even if she is irrefutably evil...).

[edit] For the not "not story driven and not inherently female character driven but totally all about managing things" pool, it sounds like she will lose many days of her life to the Anno series.

Tagra fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jun 8, 2013