Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Tacier posted:

I like everything about the Mass Effect series except the combat missions, which I find tedious. My favorite parts are just running around the citadel or my ship just talking to people and solving dumb little mysteries and exploring and stuff. Also it'd be cool if my dialogue options and actions mattered more. Suggestions?

Have you played ME2 or ME3? The combat improves significantly I think from the borefest that is the first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

N. Senada posted:

Set it to easy, pick pistols, and cruise through.

Step 1; Max out Chain Shot.
Step 2; Laugh your rear end off through the entire game.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Makky posted:

This may be a bit of an odd suggestion, but I've been searching for games that let you observe a game between two or more AI opponents without having to interact with the game yourself. I know that you can usually accomplish this with fighting games and sports games, but I'm having trouble in the strategy/tactics genre. Are there any games that support things like this anymore?

There's Arma, which, with this happy little fella: http://plannedassault.com/, means that you don't even really have to plan the battles. There's even an "observer" position you can take, though what I've done to make sure the scripting turns out right is plant a civilian unit in the game with a hired pilot+helicopter and have him chauffeur me around while the battle rages.

There's also a game nearing release called The Last Federation (http://arcengames.com/w/index.php/tlf-features), in which you play the last of a mighty species in a planetary system full of aliens that are essentially playing a 4X with each other. Your master goal is to use political maneuvering and war to get them to form a lasting federation of planets, but you can also just turn them against each other and watch the bloodshed, or just leave it running and let nature take its course.

There's also DEFCON, aka, the best screensaver ever turned into a video game (not literally).

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 12, 2014

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Recommend me an RPG that has fun grinding and gameplay. If it was something I could find cheap, it would be nice.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

ManOfTheYear posted:

Recommend me an RPG that has fun grinding and gameplay. If it was something I could find cheap, it would be nice.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning immediately comes to mind. It's essentially a single-player MMO with great combat. Only thing about it is that it's $20 on Steam and doesn't go on sale often, though I suppose that depends on your definition of "cheap".

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

A game with player choice that doesn't involve a large scale, "macro" story like any of the Bethesda/Obsidian RPGs, if that isn't too vague.

(This is just coming off of finding out that the VTMB MMO is cancelled, to give you an idea.)

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I'm looking for a good god game. I love being able to create a civilization and let it go. I like Banished a lot, but there's just not enough content there for me to keep enjoying it. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'd like to have something with decent graphics and preferably from this decade.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mira posted:

A game with player choice that doesn't involve a large scale, "macro" story like any of the Bethesda/Obsidian RPGs, if that isn't too vague.

(This is just coming off of finding out that the VTMB MMO is cancelled, to give you an idea.)

Maybe something like Mount and Blade: Warband would fit the bill? It doesn't have the story rich side content like something from New Vegas, but it's one of the penultimate "roam around and do poo poo" games in my opinion. You go around fighting people and accomplishing tasks while building up your fighting force that you personally lead on the battlefield. It is much more about combat than story compared to a Bethesda/Obsidian RPG, but that's ok because the combat in those games suck. Warband combat is surprisingly satisfying.

HonorableTB posted:

I'm looking for a good god game. I love being able to create a civilization and let it go. I like Banished a lot, but there's just not enough content there for me to keep enjoying it. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'd like to have something with decent graphics and preferably from this decade.

The obvious suggestion would be Civilization. If you'd already played that or don't like it then maybe something like the Tropico series? It's a city builder kind of in the a similar vein to Banished but it focuses on different things and has more depth over all. There is also an indie game called Reus this a decent god game that focus on shorter play times wherein you focus on completed specific goals.

CMvan46
Oct 7, 2013
Looking for new co-op game recommendation for my fiancee and I.

We both have our own computers with good video cards/cpus so anything goes graphically.

We have tried Monaco, Torchlight 2, and Left for Dead 2. She loved the collecting and gear upgrading part of Torchlight 2. Would prefer to try a different genre but just lookign for some suggestions. Cheaper options are definitely appreciated as we need 2 copies.

Thanks.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

CMvan46 posted:

We both have our own computers with good video cards/cpus so anything goes graphically.

We have tried Monaco, Torchlight 2, and Left for Dead 2. She loved the collecting and gear upgrading part of Torchlight 2. Would prefer to try a different genre but just lookign for some suggestions. Cheaper options are definitely appreciated as we need 2 copies.

Thanks.

Diablo 3 with the new loot system has turned out to be really good, but that's definitely not cheap. Maybe try Terraria or Starbound for light crafting, loot, and fighting? I also always recommend Magicka as a good co-op game for couples.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

CMvan46 posted:

Thanks.

I had a lot of fun with Resident Evil 5. The game is entirely designed around co-op. Picked it up for cheap to play with a friend and was not expecting much, but we ended up playing almost non-stop until we beat it. It's great fun.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

CMvan46 posted:

Thanks.

I would say try Warframe, it sounds like it has everything you want. It's designed around coop, takes advantage of having a not poo poo computer, has lots and lots of gear to grind and play for, and it's F2P so you can try it out for nothing. I spent 75 hours on it without paying a dime and I didn't feel overly constrained at that point.

CMvan46
Oct 7, 2013
Great thanks for the suggestions checking into them all now. Is Diablo something that goes on sale often at all?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

CMvan46 posted:

Great thanks for the suggestions checking into them all now. Is Diablo something that goes on sale often at all?

Blizzard doesn't do sales. The most they'll do is a discount when the next expansion or game in the series comes out. But it will always be $50-$60 to get whatever the current state of the game is.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey so I've been requesting the same "type" of game in this thread for like a year now, and I've found the perfect match. So if anyone was looking for a really awesome Pirate game, where you can trade, get a large fleet of dudes, take over nations, and also have large text based adventures, then you should grab Space Rangers HD. It's pretty great and reminds me of a cross between Sid Meier's Pirates, Uncharted Waters 2: New Horizons, and X3. All while still maintaining a bit of simplicity and awesomeness.

Don't believe me? Read about it from this goon who experienced one of the like... 50 random text events.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=420827393&forumid=44

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

CMvan46 posted:

Thanks.
Saints Row 4. I've been enjoying the co-op and it isn't worth playing singleplayer. There are loads of things to do in co-op and you'll probably have a lot of fun just flying around the city together. Should be pretty cheap now, too.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
I am really into the STALKER series if my icon doesn't give that away. The problem is that the first game likes to crash a lot which ruins the experience.

So recommend me a game that's more similar to Shadow of Chernobyl and/or Call of Pripyat than Clear Skies. My computer is pretty good so go hog wild.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Monolith. posted:

I am really into the STALKER series if my icon doesn't give that away. The problem is that the first game likes to crash a lot which ruins the experience.

So recommend me a game that's more similar to Shadow of Chernobyl and/or Call of Pripyat than Clear Skies. My computer is pretty good so go hog wild.
Metro 2033 & Last Light aren't open world but they'll scratch the STALKER itch.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Are there any 4X-Style games where instead of competing against other 'player' entities which are more or less the equivalent to myself, I'm competing against the equivalent of the independents in most 4x games, but more fleshed out and made in to a full entity? I don't really know how to explain what I'm looking for but I had a dream about a fantasy 4X game like this where I played as a civilization settling an untamed wilderness and instead of dealing with other players the opponent was the wilderness itself, big roaming monsters and tribal villages and things like that. The idea interested me and I'd like to play something like that.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Warlock 2 is a lot like that. There are enemy wizards but they're treated more like obstacles than true competition. Your biggest foe is the worlds themselves (it's a game based on jumping between different planes while carving a path to the centre of creation.)

Age of Wonders 3 can be set up to be heavily exploration/adventuring focused but it's not quite what you're looking for.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've been playing a lot of AoW3 lately and while I enjoy it the big thing preventing it from being what I'm looking for here is that all of the adventuring leads to eventually warring with the other player civilizations. I liked Warlock 1's Armageddon DLC which was a lot like this, except it did have other players growing in tandem with me warring against both me and the big evil threat taking over the world, does Warlock 2 have something similar built-in?

e: vv That sounds great, I'll check it out!

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Apr 18, 2014

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

A.C. posted:

Are there any 4X-Style games where instead of competing against other 'player' entities which are more or less the equivalent to myself, I'm competing against the equivalent of the independents in most 4x games, but more fleshed out and made in to a full entity? I don't really know how to explain what I'm looking for but I had a dream about a fantasy 4X game like this where I played as a civilization settling an untamed wilderness and instead of dealing with other players the opponent was the wilderness itself, big roaming monsters and tribal villages and things like that. The idea interested me and I'd like to play something like that.

Not exactly what you want, but Hinterlands is an action RPG where you explore the wilderness, then return to town and build it up. Your goal is to increase the village's population and buildings with the loot you get in the wilderness.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I've been wanting a really good wizard game. Something like an RPG or an FPS even, where I can just like wander around and use as many different wizard powers as possible, cast different spells to solve puzzles or help people or do quests or alchemy from things you collect or stuff like that.

The obvious solution and the only thing to really satisfy that itch so far is Skyrim (and TES) but I'm wondering what other things might be out there.

I think Arx Fatalis may be interesting? Or Dark Messiah of Might & Magic?

I really liked Magicka's approach to spellcasting but that's not the style of game I'm looking for right now.

Recommend me games with lots and lots of magic, systems that let you customize your magic, or just games where you can bumble around as an old bearded dude in a wizard hat.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Zaphod42 posted:

Recommend me games with lots and lots of magic, systems that let you customize your magic, or just games where you can bumble around as an old bearded dude in a wizard hat.

I haven't played it yet, but I've heard good things about Lichdom: Battlemage, so you might check that out.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MrBims posted:

I haven't played it yet, but I've heard good things about Lichdom: Battlemage, so you might check that out.

I actually picked it up already :) but its clearly in early alpha, barely playable. Also seems like even the full game is gonna be kinda shallow.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Zaphod42 posted:

I've been wanting a really good wizard game. Something like an RPG or an FPS even, where I can just like wander around and use as many different wizard powers as possible, cast different spells to solve puzzles or help people or do quests or alchemy from things you collect or stuff like that.

The obvious solution and the only thing to really satisfy that itch so far is Skyrim (and TES) but I'm wondering what other things might be out there.

I think Arx Fatalis may be interesting? Or Dark Messiah of Might & Magic?

I really liked Magicka's approach to spellcasting but that's not the style of game I'm looking for right now.

Dark Messiah is more of a strange physics game with magic and swords in it. It's a good game and I never delved too much into the magic system but I don't think it's very customizable.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop
I've been really enjoying One Finger Death Punch, and it's put me in the mood for an old-school beat em up. I'm thinking of the days when all games were played with joysticks, and so you only had like 8 moves to worry about. Ninja, Double Dragon, Chop Suey, that kind of thing. Scrolling affairs where you take on buttloads of NPCs with nunchakus and stuff. Are there any modern beat em ups that are nice and simple like that, without crap loads of combos to memorise?

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Monolith. posted:

Dark Messiah is more of a strange physics game with magic and swords in it. It's a good game and I never delved too much into the magic system but I don't think it's very customizable.

Well you can't go wrong with Dark Messiah.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Flopstick posted:

I've been really enjoying One Finger Death Punch, and it's put me in the mood for an old-school beat em up. I'm thinking of the days when all games were played with joysticks, and so you only had like 8 moves to worry about. Ninja, Double Dragon, Chop Suey, that kind of thing. Scrolling affairs where you take on buttloads of NPCs with nunchakus and stuff. Are there any modern beat em ups that are nice and simple like that, without crap loads of combos to memorise?

You can download Streets of Rage Remake here, which is supposed to be pretty great:
http://www.soronline.net/sorr_downloads.htm

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Are there ANY games at all like Anno 1404: The Guild?

Preferably The Guild 1 and not The Guild 2, which added a bunch of bad things.

Christ I love everything about the idea of that game and nobody will make a proper one that has slick presentation and isn't bugged to hell.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Of all my games that I haven't played what do you recommend I play?
Very vague, but I'm hankering for a new experience.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Spaced God posted:

Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+ is loving bonkers, play that.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Spaced God posted:

I see you have Civilization V, but do you have Gods and Kings and Brave New World? The complete edition with those expansions is my most-played Steam game by a wide margin, but it's not really worth playing the vanilla game.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Spaced God posted:

Hitman: Blood Money. Did you not like Just Cause 2? You only have an hour in it.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

I see you have Civilization V, but do you have Gods and Kings and Brave New World? The complete edition with those expansions is my most-played Steam game by a wide margin, but it's not really worth playing the vanilla game.

I've played the gently caress out of BNW and GK in singleplayer. Is there an active goon multiplay community? The extent of multiplayer I played was with my ex-kind-of-girlfriend, with whom I rarely associate anymore

edit:

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Hitman: Blood Money. Did you not like Just Cause 2? You only have an hour in it.

I played it on PS3 and loved it to death, but I couldn't get into it on the PC.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Spaced God posted:

Company of Heroes is a great RTS by the guys who did the Dawn of War series. The style of game play is more akin to commanding individual squads to do specific tasks then giant armies.

I also see you haven't spend any time with The Witcher 2, which is a shame because it is a fantastic RPG. It has a really great story with combat similar to what you'd see in Demon's Souls, if that's your thing.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
Seconding The Witcher 2, it's also pretty as heck and has some neato monster design goin on.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

Chinook posted:

You can download Streets of Rage Remake here, which is supposed to be pretty great:
http://www.soronline.net/sorr_downloads.htm

Nice! Will give it a go. Thanks!

Macdoo
Jul 24, 2012

Bad Tabletop Opinions Haver

CMvan46 posted:

Thanks.

I'd recommend Dungeon Defenders. It's co-op Tower Defense / Action RPG. It has a lot of DLC but the base game is a meaty affair on its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdh1975
Sep 4, 2011
I'm looking for other pc games like Leviathan: Warships and Gratuitous Space Battles where ship or base building can get pretty involved. Genre doesn't really matter.