Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Angry Lobster posted:

I own Civ III, IV and V, but I doubt I can run V, and I detest IV's unit stack combat, is III worth a try?

You should try to see if you can run V, I've seen it work on low-power systems and it has a board-game like 2D strategic view that might work out for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Angry Lobster posted:

I've recently moved due to work and I've left my pc behind, bringing with me only my new laptop, which have a decent processor but a lovely intel integrated graphic card.

I'm itching for a good turn-based strategy game, I own a fair steam and GoG library. Recommendations? I own Civ III, IV and V, but I doubt I can run V, and I detest IV's unit stack combat, is III worth a try?

Try Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic unless you dislike fantasy settings.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
Neverwinter Nights 2 has an extensive gameplay section dedicated to building and developing a town. The Suikoden series is famous for this, and to date Suikoden 2 is my favorite JRPG (and I generally don't care for the genre.) In Morrowind, you can build your own mead hall in Bloodmoon and develop your stronghold in the main game. In Bravely Default, you rebuild your hometown(but this is super shallow and barely scratches the itch of what I'm looking for).

Basically, I'm a sucker for base building in non strategy games(especially RPGs.) What are good games that do this?

I'm indifferent to platform and genre. I'm about to start playing Dark Cloud, because I understand its a good representative example of what I'm looking for.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

prometheusbound2 posted:

Neverwinter Nights 2 has an extensive gameplay section dedicated to building and developing a town. The Suikoden series is famous for this, and to date Suikoden 2 is my favorite JRPG (and I generally don't care for the genre.) In Morrowind, you can build your own mead hall in Bloodmoon and develop your stronghold in the main game. In Bravely Default, you rebuild your hometown(but this is super shallow and barely scratches the itch of what I'm looking for).

Basically, I'm a sucker for base building in non strategy games(especially RPGs.) What are good games that do this?

I'm indifferent to platform and genre. I'm about to start playing Dark Cloud, because I understand its a good representative example of what I'm looking for.

If you have access to it Xenoblade Chronicles has a city rebuilding section that was pretty fun. I never finished rebuilding it or the game so I don't know how in depth it goes though.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Looking for a mordern Metroidvania game on Steam like Castlevania SOTN, or an RPG that's like Valkyrie Profile/Star Ocean 2. Want me some old 2D goodness.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

joshtothemaxx posted:

My girlfriend absolutely adores survival horror games, but she has generally only played the biggest series. Her favorite is of course Resident Evil 4, and she is also a huge fan of Alone in the Dark, Fatal Frame, and Silent Hill. She also hated Evil Within, plus she's gotten a hand full of random indies off steam for :5bux: and they too have been bad.

So what is a good survival horror or three that's out on ps3/360/pc that she may have missed?

Does she have tolerance for old games? Because if she hasn't played system shock 2 she should (1 is probably too old and janky).

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I'm feeling another space dogfighting itch. I asked a while back and got some good recommendations, but I want more! More! MORE!

edit: Last time I asked I got recommended Tachyon, which was totally awesome, so thanks for that.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Accordion Man posted:

If you have a PS2 emulator I'd at least recommend giving Rule of Rose a try. It's not for everyone because its really clunky and slow, but if your girlfriend can stomach the usual jank of the genre and can stick it with it I think she'll like it, because the atmosphere and writing is really good.

Also she really needs to play Deadly Premonition, because DP is so drat good. The original 360 version runs the smoothest, though its also on PS3 and Steam/GOG.

Just be warned that an actual physical copy of Rule of Rose goes for 100 bucks on Amazon.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

All Civ games have stack-based combat except V, if you really hate it that much it's not the series for you.

Maybe, I really like CivIV but I'm just really bad at combat.

Chomp8645 posted:

Since you put GoG titles on the list I'd say that you can't go wrong with Master of Orion 1+2 (they're sold together) and King of Dragon Pass. If you're not familiar with them, the MOO series is space based 4x strategy, and King of Dragon Pass has you managing a quasi-viking clan who trades/feuds with other clans, beasts, and the like. Both are turn based, should run on the lamest integrated graphics card you can come up with, and both are great games.

e: Plus they are on sale right now!

I already own Moo2, which I've played to death in the past fifteen years. I play it from time to time but I'm looking for something different. I own King of Dragon Pass too, but I've never played past the first hour or so of the game, it's mechanics seems really obscure, maybe I should try to get some tutorial for this game.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You should try to see if you can run V, I've seen it work on low-power systems and it has a board-game like 2D strategic view that might work out for you.

I've just tried and it seems to work fine on my laptop, hoorray! :) Should I get the Brave New World epansion? I have the gold version, with Gods&Kings.

Kanfy posted:

Try Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic unless you dislike fantasy settings.

I like fantasy settings, in fact I have that game, when I finish my playthrough of Heroes of Might and Magic 3: Chronicles I will give it another chance.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Leper Residue posted:

Just be warned that an actual physical copy of Rule of Rose goes for 100 bucks on Amazon.

$20 at GameStop and they have the ability to order games from Gamestops in other states. No extra charge just waiting.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Angry Lobster posted:

I've just tried and it seems to work fine on my laptop, hoorray! :) Should I get the Brave New World epansion? I have the gold version, with Gods&Kings.

Brave New World is such a huge addition to the game I can't imagine playing without it at this point. (I put 20 hours into base Civ V; when the Gods and Kings expansion came out, I spent another 20; after Brave New World I added another 200 hours to that.) It adds ideology, tourism, and trade to the game, and revamps most of the victory conditions and game mechanics connected to them (diplomacy, culture, etc.) Also, a bunch of my favorite civs (Venice, Poland, Brazil, Morocco) are in BNW, but that's a personal preference thing...

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 23, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

School Nickname posted:

Looking for a mordern Metroidvania game on Steam like Castlevania SOTN, or an RPG that's like Valkyrie Profile/Star Ocean 2. Want me some old 2D goodness.

I've been looking for this as well. My search has led me to Guacamelee, Valdis Story, and Dust: An Elysian Tale. These appear to be the least crappy ones out there, but I haven't played them enough to know.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I've been looking for this as well. My search has led me to Guacamelee, Valdis Story, and Dust: An Elysian Tale. These appear to be the least crappy ones out there, but I haven't played them enough to know.

Guacamelee is a good, fun game. Valdis Story feels overly technical, with lots of canceling in and out of combos and parts where you have to jump on a million tiny platforms on a tight timer. Dust wants to be really technical, but was too easy to make you bother with the fiddly bits, at least as far as I played. All 3 are very combat focused.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Looked up Dust: An Elysian Tale and it's actually called Dust: An Elysian Tail and looks furry as gently caress. Valdis Story seems really nice though, brings back some Megaman memories with the wall jumps. Thanks!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Leper Residue posted:

That's why I suggested to just emulate it instead. Sony really needs to put it up on PSN, especially because they actually own the rights.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

joshtothemaxx posted:

My girlfriend absolutely adores survival horror games, but she has generally only played the biggest series. Her favorite is of course Resident Evil 4, and she is also a huge fan of Alone in the Dark, Fatal Frame, and Silent Hill. She also hated Evil Within, plus she's gotten a hand full of random indies off steam for :5bux: and they too have been bad.

So what is a good survival horror or three that's out on ps3/360/pc that she may have missed?

She's already played the really good ones. Go buy a ps2 and a wii for like 40bux and you have access to Haunting Ground, Siren 1 & 2, Rule of Rose (was mentioned earlier), Resident Evil Zero, Juon, Cursed Mountain, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, Calling, and Obscure 1 & 2. Those are really the B-list of horror games, but even bad survival horror is better than none. On PS3 you have Siren: Blood Curse and Resident Evil Revelations, and on 360 you have Condemned 1 & 2, Alan Wake, and Left 4 Dead 1 & 2 (not really genre-appropriate but still good). You can play Resident Evil Zero & Revelations, the Obscures, and the Left 4 Dreads with her too.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

joshtothemaxx posted:

Maybe try Don't Starve? It doesn't play like the ones you mentioned, but it's a survival game where you die if your torch goes out at night.

Nolanar posted:

Awhile back, I asked for some suggestions in here, and people recommended the Rune Factory games. They sound great, but they're all on consoles I don't have. Is there anything similar I could play on my PC?
I can't remember the name, but there is a pc clone of harvest moon, ask in the harvest moon thread, they talk about it sometimes in there. Pocket Harvest by kairosoft is almost harvest moon for your phone. Personally, I bought a 3DS just to play Harvest Moon and I don't regret it.

Comedy option: UnReal World RPG let's you play a farmer or Fisher. Viva Pinata for the Xbox looks similar to Harvest Moon.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Angry Lobster posted:

I own King of Dragon Pass too, but I've never played past the first hour or so of the game, it's mechanics seems really obscure, maybe I should try to get some tutorial for this game.

Really, really worth it to put a couple of hours learning the mechanics. It's very difficult to lose the game outright, so even if you do poorly you can recover with a couple good years.

There is a wiki here. Basically, behave like a magical superstitious bronze age Viking and you will be all right:

- Always follow the tradition of your ancestors (if they didn't capture slaves, you shouldn't either, f.e.)
- At the start of the year, pay attention to the omens, specially the ones that said "this year we should do this or that"
- Never put magic into children. A good standard allocation is to max Crops and Cattle, a bit in War and then into whatever you're planning to do that year (Exploration, Mysteries or Quests, f.e.)
- Always max your crafters.
- Sell your magic bull after a 3-4 years, exchange it for a another treasure if possible. It's going to die.
- You should only raid in fire season. A little raiding is not too damaging for your relations with other clans, as long as you spread it a bit and don't focus on someone.
- Try to have a variety of gods and skills in your Circle. Pay attention to what they said in each decision.
- If you expect a bad harvest, use the Earth season to sow more Rye, and more Weath in case of a good harvest. Barley is good for beer, so you need a bit because too much will lower your clan productivity. Because you'll be drunk. You can leave these sliders alone on your first games and be mostly all right.

Also, there are a couple of good LPs that will probably teach you the basics.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fat Samurai posted:

- You should only raid in fire season. A little raiding is not too damaging for your relations with other clans, as long as you spread it a bit and don't focus on someone.

One thing to be aware of here is that if you pick Valind as your ancestral enemy (the ice lord), you have a fairly good chance of being able to raid during dark season, and clans will be much less likely to meet you with their full force than they would be during fire season. Valind makes a great enemy choice for a newbie because of this, and also because the negative events associated with him barely ever happen and don't really do much when they do.

Also I don't know if you're just on PC, but if you've got an iOS or Android device, get King of Dragon Pass on that instead - those versions are both streamlined to be easier to play (they removed a bunch of extraneous stuff that never really made a difference like manual crafter management and the aforementioned children magic), and also has a ton of new content compared to the PC version.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I'd like a game with lots of discovering recipies and/or building and crafting, I'm playing craft the world and its..ok, but its given me an itch.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 24, 2014

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

LLSix posted:

I can't remember the name, but there is a pc clone of harvest moon, ask in the harvest moon thread, they talk about it sometimes in there. Pocket Harvest by kairosoft is almost harvest moon for your phone. Personally, I bought a 3DS just to play Harvest Moon and I don't regret it.

I think Stardew Valley is the only Harvest Moon-Alike for PC and I don't think it's available yet, even as an Early Access. It's kind of annoying that more people haven't tried to make clones of it for other platforms :argh:

I hadn't played Pocket Harvest yet though! I love Kairosoft...

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Thanks for the recommendations everyone. There has to be something in there she would like.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Tagra posted:

I think Stardew Valley is the only Harvest Moon-Alike for PC and I don't think it's available yet, even as an Early Access. It's kind of annoying that more people haven't tried to make clones of it for other platforms :argh:

Yeah, I've had my eye on Stardew Valley for a while, but it's still not out. It's a shame.

On that note, are there any other PC games in a more general "adventure to help your town/whatever grow and prosper" theme?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Nolanar posted:

Yeah, I've had my eye on Stardew Valley for a while, but it's still not out. It's a shame.

On that note, are there any other PC games in a more general "adventure to help your town/whatever grow and prosper" theme?

Not quite the same, but Settlers 7 is a fantastic game where you grow a medieval town. It's mission based and the levels are always interesting and sometimes really challenging. Really awesome game.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Nolanar posted:

Maybe the Westeard series. They are combination citybuilder/adventure games, and you generally have one main city that your various missions boosts in some way.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

LLSix posted:

Maybe try Don't Starve? It doesn't play like the ones you mentioned, but it's a survival game where you die if your torch goes out at night.

Tagra posted:

May I springboard from this, since these inspired me to look up Kairosoft and all these games look adorable. Anyone want to share which are the better/worse ones? I have an android, if it matters.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

mycot posted:

May I springboard from this, since these inspired me to look up Kairosoft and all these games look adorable. Anyone want to share which are the better/worse ones? I have an android, if it matters.

Game Dev Story is probably the most well-known one, it's still worth checking out even if it's a bit simpler than the newer ones.

Dungeon Village is fun as well - it's about building a little RPG town with shops and such to attract adventurers who will kill monsters and complete quests outside town.

I'm not sure which ones are on Android, but those are ones I've played that are fun and different enough from each other that they're both worth checking out.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

mycot posted:

Gamedev is the classic and most of their other games are variations on it (particularly Pocket League Story and Grand Prix Story). The Hot Springs and Cafe games are a bit more like Theme Hospital in style.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

joshtothemaxx posted:

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. There has to be something in there she would like.

Whilst it may seem more like an fps at first glance, S.T.A.L.K.E.R (shadow of chernobyl and call of pripyat, don't get clear sky first unless you/she enjoys the others) are pants making GBS threads and as much about survival (food, bleeding) as killing horrible things in the dark. Running to find shelter to hide from an emission is just terrifying when you are out in the open.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

mycot posted:

I played Dungeon Village for like 5 days straight and it was really engrossing up until the point I had everything and I was just upgrading buildings for no real reason. I'm just starting Pocket Harvest now and I feel like there are even more factors at play in it than there were in Dungeon Village so it should steal my life for a few days.

I have noticed I need to close the app totally when I turn my phone off, though. My phone (Nexus 4) got super hot and the battery was draining like mad until I swiped the game closed. Dungeon Village ate my battery when I played it for an hour straight on my lunch break but it suspended properly when I turned the phone off...

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I was looking through my Steam library the other day and realized that almost every game I have is either competitive, or very unforgiving / high-energy singleplayer.

So what's a game you find relaxing, but not completely mindless or repetitive? Playing Minecraft on peaceful is the general kind of experience I'm looking for, but that's just an example, it doesn't need to be the same genre or anything.

If it has co-op that would be even better but it's not essential.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
I own most of the Kairosoft games as they're great games to play during my commute.

They are all quite similar. What differs is if the focus lies on the town/farm/spacebase or on something else. I really enjoyed the racing game one (F1 Story?), where there isn't much base-building, but you have to skill up your drivers, mechanics and build faster vehicles. The

Epic Astro Story was also pretty neat, this one picks a balance between building a space base and leveling up your spacepeople into formidable warriors who clear dungeons.

Oh! Edo Towns focuses almost entirely on the town you build.

Most of the games have free demos, so check those out.

What I don't like about the games is how badly they're programmed. They're not graphically very intense, but they don't run smoothly enough to be playable on a tablet I have, yet they're fine on my much older phone. I think CPU matters more than GPU for these games. On iOS they always run smoothly. This is why you should try the demos first.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I was looking through my Steam library the other day and realized that almost every game I have is either competitive, or very unforgiving / high-energy singleplayer.

So what's a game you find relaxing, but not completely mindless or repetitive? Playing Minecraft on peaceful is the general kind of experience I'm looking for, but that's just an example, it doesn't need to be the same genre or anything.

Time for my monthly recommendation of the Anno series.

Set up a production chain, watch numbers for five minutes making sure that you don't need just one more kelp farm to make sure the production and demand are exactly balanced, then go ahead and build another neighbourhood, industry chain, whathaveyou on your own time. Watch time fly.

Tropico, too. Any city builder where you don't have to deal with enemies, actually.

The obvious example with co-op would be Terraria, but there are enemies there.

I find The Void relaxing, but probably your first few games are going to be very tense, because you won't know what the gently caress is happening and how to avoid dying.

EDIT:

Stick Insect posted:

Euro Truck Simulator 2

This. Seconding this.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 25, 2014

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I felt the same way a couple of months ago. All I played was Dark Souls games and Counterstrike.

I now find MMOs and sports games incredibly relaxing. It's a vague recommendation but just try FIFA or WoW again. I love my zen sportsball time.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

So what's a game you find relaxing, but not completely mindless or repetitive?
Euro Truck Simulator 2

It's relaxing but you can't let your attention lapse while driving, you will destroy your truck and cargo. If you want it to be less relaxing, disable the speed limiter and zigzag between traffic on the Autobahn. There are some RPG mechanics to unlock new types of jobs, and the ability to invest your money into expanding your trucking company, and more importantly, pimping your truck out. Playing with a steering wheel is ideal, but a gamepad also works. You can still play it with keyboard and mouse if you like.

It's part of the current Humble Bundle.

For something completely different: Anno 2070. If you disable enemies, there's no pressure to do anything. Just build a bigass city and the infrastructure to support it. You can do this somewhat cooperatively over the network.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Fat Samurai posted:

I find The Void relaxing, but probably your first few games are going to be very tense, because you won't know what the gently caress is happening and how to avoid dying.

I played and completed The Void before they rebalanced color management to make it easier; I don't think I'll ever find that game relaxing. :v:

It has been a very long time since I messed around with city builders, though, I think I'll explore in that direction. Thanks guys.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Kerbal Space Program is a fantastic creative game. It has moments of tension and and is generally very engaging, but isn't usually stressful. It's also ridiculously customizable/moddable, so you can make it as challenging or easy as you want in most respects, starting with built-in game mode options and difficulty settings up through mods that make the (normally simplistic) aerodynamic model dangerously realistic or give you sci-fi warp drives.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Supraluminal posted:

Kerbal Space Program is a fantastic creative game. It has moments of tension and and is generally very engaging, but isn't usually stressful. It's also ridiculously customizable/moddable, so you can make it as challenging or easy as you want in most respects, starting with built-in game mode options and difficulty settings up through mods that make the (normally simplistic) aerodynamic model dangerously realistic or give you sci-fi warp drives.

I found Kerbal completely impenetrable. Not that it was hard per se, I just couldn't figure out how to do anything even after playing the tutorial. Dwarf Fortress was easier to get into.

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.

Tagra posted:

W/r/t Harvest moon, I haven't played any of the various versions since the Gamecube version. I'm thinking of getting one, which version of Harvest Moon is the best/has the most new cool stuff since the GC version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

LLSix posted:

I found Kerbal completely impenetrable. Not that it was hard per se, I just couldn't figure out how to do anything even after playing the tutorial. Dwarf Fortress was easier to get into.

Wow, I agree that KSP's tutorial isn't great but I would never have put it anywhere in the same universe as DF for sheer obtuseness. It's basically spaceship Legos, albeit fairly fiddly and potentially complex ones.