Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Lemme tell you about V.A.T.S. :)

In Fallout 1 & 2 it did the roguelike "enemies move when you do" thing, so it was all turn based but it could move by pretty quick if you knew what you were doing.

Fallout felt extremely similar to playing tabletop D&D to me, taking turns and rolling dice. While most of the Baldur's Gate games were too fast and messy, they had the literal rules of D&D (unlike Fallout) but they didn't feel the same because of how the videogame part of it changed the flow.

I really like that Fallout 3 maintained that and had a semi- turn based, stat rolling mode in the middle of a real-time FPS.

Yeah, I played Fallout 1 & 2, I just couldn't remember if they had a pure real-time option (which Tactics did, if I remember right). I thought their combat was fine.

On the other hand, I didn't like Fallout 3's. The actual real-time FPS gunplay component felt terrible. I just wanted to be in VATS all the time, at which point - why am I using this lovely first-person interface to manage turn-based RPG combat? I'd have been happier with a third-person view and pure turn-based combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I can't wrap my head around how people find real-time-with-pause games chaotic. They provide every kind of tool to manage the battlefield from assigning combat orders to issuing waypoints so actions occur in sequence. Everything is color coded, you can't really mix up or confuse where your dudes are. And you can customize the entire thing so that pauses whenever something important happens instead of going through the absolutely boring hit-miss dance that's really endemic to D&D especially at low levels.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

al-azad posted:

I can't wrap my head around how people find real-time-with-pause games chaotic. They provide every kind of tool to manage the battlefield from assigning combat orders to issuing waypoints so actions occur in sequence. Everything is color coded, you can't really mix up or confuse where your dudes are. And you can customize the entire thing so that pauses whenever something important happens instead of going through the absolutely boring hit-miss dance that's really endemic to D&D especially at low levels.

Well, this here:

Turtlicious posted:

Pausing and issuing orders isn't the same thing as Real Time with Pause as well, one is objectively terrible and the other can really work.

Might explain why there's some miscommunication. I use (misuse?) "real-time-with-pause" to mean any game with real-time combat that's designed with the intention of pausing to issue orders - out of my personal experience, that's mainly the aforementioned Torment and NWN games.

If any of those had some kind of automatic pause-per-round feature that closely emulated turn-based combat, I never found it. Even if NWN, say, paused every 6 seconds, it would still be a lovely compromise - the way the game actually executes queued up orders is super-unreliable and frustrating.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pausing and issuing orders is a bit like Red Orchestra, or Binary Domain, or Rainbow Six, You're playing the video game like normal, but you pause at opportune times to order people around. (As far as I understand OP's request.)

Real Time with pause, involves abusing the pause mechanic to give out constant orders, like a bad jrpg.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't think you misused it. Infinity Engine games are definitely real time although every single action is keyed to the D&D round/sequence timing.

Give me real time any day unless your battles are especially well scripted which I'd say only one game mentioned falls under so far and that's Shadowrun with its mission-based design. The absolute worst thing in turn based games is when you have trash mobs that take one hit to kill but you're still forced to play the battle out. God bless Fallout but I can never play that game again for all the waiting around taking out 1hp hostile rats that can see you a mile away. I'd love to see more Arcanum or Fallout Tactics style games where you can switch. Arcanum was kind of funny in that real time was so sped up it could either grossly overpower your characters from spamming spells or you'd die in the blink of an eye as the enemy did the same.

Turtlicious posted:

Pausing and issuing orders is a bit like Red Orchestra, or Binary Domain, or Rainbow Six, You're playing the video game like normal, but you pause at opportune times to order people around. (As far as I understand OP's request.)

Real Time with pause, involves abusing the pause mechanic to give out constant orders, like a bad jrpg.

I don't know what it says about you as a player but I don't pause to give out "constant orders." Unless it's a big set piece battle or boss encounter I rarely need to pause because I'm not terrible at managing a party.

But whatever, I'll chalk it up to the eternal debate of RTS vs. TBS.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 20, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

al-azad posted:

Its because in order to properly micro-manage your team so that nothing bad every happens, you have to literally pause the game every single second, and 90% of the time you're just going "okay, okay, okay, okay, WAIT, okay, okay"

With turn based its just assumed that you're taking turns and so the way actions fit into turns is simpler and more structured than if you have things based on time events firing off.

I love games like Xcom or Divine Divinity but can't manage to get into games like Baldur's Gate or Pillars of Eternity no matter what.

It seems that playing the as "turn-based but realtime" requires you to just generally allow hosed up poo poo to happen, like people pathing into each other, people standing in fire, people attacking the wrong targets, etc.

With Divine Divinity I never have to hit the pause button but I also never have to hit the resume button. Its just "<character> turn, do their action, over. Next character..." and it cycles in a predictable manner that isn't too frantic or too slow.

Supraluminal posted:

If any of those had some kind of automatic pause-per-round feature that closely emulated turn-based combat, I never found it. Even if NWN, say, paused every 6 seconds, it would still be a lovely compromise - the way the game actually executes queued up orders is super-unreliable and frustrating.

In my experience auto-pause never works smart enough. It either misses things I have to still pause manually (or gently caress up and some dude gets hurt) or it pauses literally all the goddamned time and you're just trading the pause button for the resume button.

On the other hand turn-based games just make turns part of their mechanics in a far more pleasing way than real-time-with-pause games do with seconds which end up syncopated from each other. Its more realistic but its way way way more messy.

al-azad posted:

I don't know what it says about you as a player but I don't pause to give out "constant orders." Unless it's a big set piece battle or boss encounter I rarely need to pause because I'm not terrible at managing a party.

Its not a matter of how good you are at managing a party. If you're "managing" then that means you're breaking the action and pausing.

And if you're not managing then you're just relying on the AI. If the AI is smart enough the game is just playing itself and masturbating ala FFXII. If the AI isn't smart enough then you're just watching a bunch of sims run into fire and then get hurt. I don't like either of those.

Turn based on the other hand is like chess. Every move is specific and there's a clear strategic dance between you and the enemy.

Real-time-with-pause is like a boxing match where you're just both slugging at each other hoping the other side falls before you do. That or its pause every loving second and get OCD about never taking damage. Neither is fun to me.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 20, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Its not a matter of how good you are at managing a party. If you're "managing" then that means you're breaking the action and pausing.

And if you're not managing then you're just relying on the AI. If the AI is smart enough the game is just playing itself and masturbating ala FFXII. If the AI isn't smart enough then you're just watching a bunch of sims run into fire and then get hurt. I don't like either of those.

Turn based on the other hand is like chess. Every move is specific and there's a clear strategic dance between you and the enemy.

Real-time-with-pause is like a boxing match where you're just both slugging at each other hoping the other side falls before you do. That or its pause every loving second and get OCD about never taking damage. Neither is fun to me.

See, this is the breakdown for me.

Sometimes I don't need to manage my party. If my party is so powerful that they can steamroll through enemies then just let it happen. If the enemy is powerful then I can specify exacting tactics. That's not "masturbation" that's me reacting to the challenge the game throws at me.

Bottom line, we're talking about RPGs here. Everything boils down to numbers. There's nothing strategic or "chess-like" about fighting a rat just because you take turns shooting and moving. But if "dancing with your enemy" is somehow strategic then I can tell you all about kiting enemies using the terrain, coordinating spells, or throwing a wall of monsters between you. Using the terrain and environment, is that suddenly not strategic because one is real time? I'm doing all the stuff you're doing just not in every. Single. Encounter. Ever.

The big disconnect I see here is in bold. I don't know if you're afraid of taking damage or if you're afraid of not knowing the exact second you're taking damage. Because you're going to take damage in a turn-based game. There's no difference in the underlying numbers here. But one game says "HEY LOOK! THIS JUST HAPPENED!" and the other continues along until you decide to address it.

e: poo poo I'll close by saying if you don't think Infinity Engine games are tactical then I 100% understand why you would have a hard time with them.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 20, 2015

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
I basically agree with everything Zaphod said.

I'd much rather play a game that embraces one style or the other. If you're making a real-time game, balance the complexity and flow around that and don't build pausing into your gameplay loop. This is the realm of the Elder Scrolls games, Diablo-style ARPGs, MOBAs, etc. If the gameplay is complex enough to require pausing (or at least for pausing to be a valuable tactical tool), make the game turn-based. Don't put me in a lousy middle ground where the game is highly chaotic and then give me lovely tools to manage it.

al-azad posted:

Give me real time any day unless your battles are especially well scripted which I'd say only one game mentioned falls under so far and that's Shadowrun with its mission-based design. The absolute worst thing in turn based games is when you have trash mobs that take one hit to kill but you're still forced to play the battle out. God bless Fallout but I can never play that game again for all the waiting around taking out 1hp hostile rats that can see you a mile away. I'd love to see more Arcanum or Fallout Tactics style games where you can switch.

Yeah, that's a problem with encounter design, not so much the combat mechanics. I think the proper solution there is designing better encounters.

That being said, sure, I don't have a problem with games that offer a choice between both modes instead of the crappy pausing compromise. I imagine it's harder to balance and much more expensive to develop that way, though.

e: Part of this debate is definitely a matter of personal taste and reflex/twitch capabilities. What might be totally manageable for one person in real-time can be overwhelming for another, or just not fun. I usually can do OK in real-time games that require a lot of micromanagement, but it's often more stressful than fun for me, whereas I enjoy thinking over a move at my leisure in turn-based games.

Supraluminal fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 20, 2015

massecurr
Dec 15, 2012
I'm looking to get my Mad Max on after seeing Fury Road, whats some good games to do this in outside of the usual suspects of Fallout, Wasteland and STALKER?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
I'd go with Borderlands 2. Metro 2033 and Last Light also have a bunch of hacked-together weapons that might work, although there's not alot of automotive sections.

massecurr
Dec 15, 2012

cisco privilege posted:

I'd go with Borderlands 2. Metro 2033 and Last Light also have a bunch of hacked-together weapons that might work, although there's not alot of automotive sections.

Hell I didn't even think about Borderlands, any others maybe outside of the FPS genera?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Dead Rising series has brutal duct tape weaponry as it's main gimmick.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

If you hate yourself you could always get Rage.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

massecurr posted:

I'm looking to get my Mad Max on after seeing Fury Road, whats some good games to do this in outside of the usual suspects of Fallout, Wasteland and STALKER?

Twisted Metal Black for PS2. No idea if it holds up but it's the game I wanted to play after seeing mad max.. That or vigelante 8 for the 64 but I'm fairly sure that's terrible.

In twisted metal, there is a cheater character you can unlock that's a dump truck, and with it you can pick up enemy combatents and crush their poo poo into cubes. Any game that tops that I want to hear about.

Olaf The Stout fucked around with this message at 09:25 on May 21, 2015

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

massecurr posted:

Convoy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

massecurr posted:

Farcry 2 was surprisingly Mad Max unlike all the other Farcry games.

Also Rage? Its kinda the main and obvious choice here. Rage is practically Beyond Thunderdome: the game.

cisco privilege posted:

In particular the Torgue DLC for Borderlands 2.

But BL2 is a bad game don't play it.

And so is rage actually.

Just play Farcry 2.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't know how active it actually is anymore, but Defiance is a pretty mad max-ish third person shooter mmo (it's not subscription based though. You just buy the game). I haven't played it in ages but I remember it being pretty fun driving around post-apocalypse San Fran on an atv and shooting mutants and aliens.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
I just picked it back up a few days ago and at least the beginner areas are still semi active

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I don't know how active it actually is anymore, but Defiance is a pretty mad max-ish third person shooter mmo (it's not subscription based though. You just buy the game). I haven't played it in ages but I remember it being pretty fun driving around post-apocalypse San Fran on an atv and shooting mutants and aliens.

Actually it went completely free-to-play last June/July-ish. The only way you're paying for it is if you go hunt down the PS3 version.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Actually it went completely free-to-play last June/July-ish. The only way you're paying for it is if you go hunt down the PS3 version.

It's actually free off of PSN as well, since the disk version installs like 50 gigs on your HDD anyway you might as well just get it there.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Having just seen Mad Max myself, you might want to check out Brutal Legend. A lot of the style in that movie reminded me of that game, from the crazy leather and spikes design to driving around in hot rods to having a huge car with a dude shredding on guitar as part of your war party just because.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
Having a fair amount of stress recently I was wondering if any goon had a recommendation for a relaxing exploration style game, I was thinking something were you can fly around and explore? Preferably something that would work on an older pc. Other relaxing/immersive games would also be cool to know.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Kea posted:

Having a fair amount of stress recently I was wondering if any goon had a recommendation for a relaxing exploration style game, I was thinking something were you can fly around and explore? Preferably something that would work on an older pc. Other relaxing/immersive games would also be cool to know.

I dunno if you have access to it but Endless Ocean is pretty chill. Instead of flying you swim around and look at pretty ocean things.

hatesfreedom
Feb 20, 2007

I make a profit of three and a quarter cents an egg by selling them for four and a quarter cents an egg to the people in Malta I buy them from for seven cents an egg. Of course, I don't make the profit. The syndicate makes the profit. And everybody has a share.

Kea posted:

blessed is he who plays euro truck simulator 2

it's a very chill game of driving trucks and listening to audio books, podcasts, or music.

ninety
Mar 13, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

(and can't post for 4 years!)

I want to try submarine simulation games, where's a good place to start? I'm new to sim games in general but I'm not worried about complexity and difficulty as much as quality. I don't want to learn how to play one of these things and find out the game I picked out is a buggy broken mess afterward.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

hatesfreedom posted:

blessed is he who plays euro truck simulator 2

it's a very chill game of driving trucks and listening to audio books, podcasts, or music.

I got the opposite experience. It was a pretty rad game of ignoring speed limits and driving down the wrong side of the road blaring death metal :black101:

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Kea posted:

Eidolon is pretty chill. You wander around a post-human future and find chunks of story to figure out what happened. The graphics suck and there's not much to do but walk (there's a hacked-in "survival" minigame which really only exists to give it a status of "game" because it's entirely irrelevant and mostly just an annoying timesink you need to engage in once every so often), but the writing was decent and kept me wanting to know more. You can use cheat codes to walk faster or fly when you get bored of doing it legit style, too.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a Faster Than Light but focused on exploring the universe and doing poo poo as it pops up rather than a linear rush to the end of the game?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

ninety posted:

I want to try submarine simulation games, where's a good place to start? I'm new to sim games in general but I'm not worried about complexity and difficulty as much as quality. I don't want to learn how to play one of these things and find out the game I picked out is a buggy broken mess afterward.

I think that Silent Hunter III is the gold-standard, and that the newer stuff is worse. I really enjoyed III but haven't played any of the others, so I may be wrong.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Kea posted:

Uru Live is pretty relaxing, and works excellently on older PCs - it also lets you bring friends along to gawp at scenery and help you solve puzzles.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

ninety posted:

SH3 with the Grey Wolves mod is fantastic. SH4 is, I believe, also okay, but stay the hell away from SH5.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Are there any other newer games like Reus? It's pretty fun, but I want to check out if there's something better out there.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Danger Mahoney posted:

Is there a Faster Than Light but focused on exploring the universe and doing poo poo as it pops up rather than a linear rush to the end of the game?

If you're willing to go "ancient school", you just described Starflight. And you should, because Starflight is amazing, especially considering when it came out.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Danger Mahoney posted:

Space Engineers might get there eventually, but it's nowhere near there yet (It's an game very much in Alpha, but still has a fair bit of stuff to play with). You can still go do mining or explore/loot/disassemble encountered ships for stuff though, and there's going to be randomly-generated planets soon :allears:.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I need a game focused on resource management and min/maxing, particularly with supply chains and the like. I've put an unhealthy amount of hours into Factorio, Space Engineers, Minecraft Technic, Transport Tycoon and even Fortresscraft.

I'm jonesing pretty hard here. Gregtech and Factorio Marathon are starting to look good :ohdear:

Turtlicious posted:

Starbound is pretty great, so would Rimworld and Dwarf Fortress, Prison Architect also fits. Cities Skylines is where you start getting into supply chains and stuff like that.

X3: Albion Prelude is pretty great for that, but warning, the learning curve is just a straight up wall.

Starbound is a butt, Rimworld doesn't appear to be on Steam, DF I've boatmurdered, and I'm not really looking for a citybuilder. Prison Arch I'll look into.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 08:50 on May 26, 2015

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Starbound is pretty great, so would Rimworld and Dwarf Fortress, Prison Architect also fits. Cities Skylines is where you start getting into supply chains and stuff like that.

X3: Albion Prelude is pretty great for that, but warning, the learning curve is just a straight up wall.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

I've got an odd one: I'm looking for a fighting game that has AI vs. AI as a fight option. My friends and I like to sit around and occasionally make wagers on the fights, because we are dorks. A visually nice game would be ideal; having to play it to unlock stuff is fine as long as the gameplay is decent. A create-a-character feature would be good but isn't mandatory. For platforms, we've got a PC (a few years old; it can run all but the newest games reasonably well), a WiiU, and a PS4. I could probably also drag my 360 out of storage for a solid recommendation.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Maleketh posted:

I've got an odd one: I'm looking for a fighting game that has AI vs. AI as a fight option. My friends and I like to sit around and occasionally make wagers on the fights, because we are dorks. A visually nice game would be ideal; having to play it to unlock stuff is fine as long as the gameplay is decent. A create-a-character feature would be good but isn't mandatory. For platforms, we've got a PC (a few years old; it can run all but the newest games reasonably well), a WiiU, and a PS4. I could probably also drag my 360 out of storage for a solid recommendation.

Pretty sure Smash Bros WiiU will do AI vs AI fights.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Maleketh posted:

http://www.saltybet.com/

Automated randomized AI vs AI mugen fights! Ignore chat n' things to place your own wagers if you like, and always/never bet on DBZ!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Evilreaver posted:

http://www.saltybet.com/

Automated randomized AI vs AI mugen fights! Ignore chat n' things to place your own wagers if you like, and always/never bet on DBZ!

SaltyBet is definitely the kind of thing we do, but we'd rather have control since we sometimes set up tournament brackets and such.