Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Meta Ridley posted:

I kind of have an MMO itch..

I have an old WoW account - last played during WotLK, favorite era was TBC. Never played Cataclysm or MoP. Interested in buying Warlords of Draenor to see all that has changed..
I also have an FFXIV account - bought it when it relaunched, never played past level 10. Didn't have a problem with it but didn't want to dedicate the time to it, but Heavensward has me interested now.

I only want to casually hit the level cap over the next few months then quit, but can't decide which game would be funner to play casually like that. Is FFXIV simply far ahead of WoD, or does WoD make things fun and interesting enough to enjoy WoW again?

For what it's worth, I played WoW up to Cataclysm and recent had the MMO itch. I tried FF on a trial and was bored to death with it and I can't even explain why... it seemed like something I should enjoy, but it was just so boring. I was interested in the crafting though, but not enough to pay for the game. My husband did the trial too and played even less.

Then a friend bought us WoD because he wanted a group for challenge dungeons, and my husband and I subsequently re-subbed, and we did a bunch of group and arena content and had a lot of fun. And then all of them quit except for me and now I spend like 20 minutes a day before work doing all my missions and trying to catch up the reps I missed in the three years I didn't play :sigh:. Not bothering with any raids other than LFG though.

I guess it depends what your itch is for. WoW is great for the completionist itch. There is so much poo poo to collect now and a large majority requires you to be consistent (like log in once a week and spend 5 minutes) rather than ridiculous time sink (but those certainly exist too...). but all the WoW content feels pretty recycled and there's nothing really new about the dungeons, so I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Meta Ridley posted:

I kind of have an MMO itch..

I have an old WoW account - last played during WotLK, favorite era was TBC. Never played Cataclysm or MoP. Interested in buying Warlords of Draenor to see all that has changed..
I also have an FFXIV account - bought it when it relaunched, never played past level 10. Didn't have a problem with it but didn't want to dedicate the time to it, but Heavensward has me interested now.

I only want to casually hit the level cap over the next few months then quit, but can't decide which game would be funner to play casually like that. Is FFXIV simply far ahead of WoD, or does WoD make things fun and interesting enough to enjoy WoW again?

WoW has completely re-invented itself with each expansion and generally pushes ahead of all other MMOs. MoP, although it was given a lot of poo poo, did a lot of really brilliant and forward-thinking design moves, and WoD has only continued that while adding more. And WoD also has a cool classic warcraft-2 feeling going on, since pandaria wasn't super popular.

What you'd want to do is get WoD and then boost a character right to 90. Then play from 90 to 100, and do the new stuff they added for 100+ in Tanaan Jungle. Then either play the new raids on LFG difficulty (stuuuupid easy, you can do this while drunk and nobody will notice unless you're tanking, and even then...) or just stop playing once you get to that point. 90 to 100 plus the new Tanaan stuff should give you a couple months of content easy, and it'll be a nice romp of quests with good variety and some decent story (nothing award winning).

Its hard to compare FFXIV. I like it a lot too, but its really... different? The world has more detail and story and craft, and the game looks beautiful. But it also feels kinda hollow compared to WoW? Like everything's pretty but there's less to do.

But in a way WoW feels hollow too; there's a ton of different things to do but none of it feels especially deep. FFXIV almost feels more ... solid, in that way? gently caress its hard to put into words.

Also FFXIV's FATEs (events) are pretty drat cool and bring lots of random players together for a fun moment, then off you go on your own. WoW's best attempt at doing something similar hasn't really worked out.

WoW's dungeons and raids are MILES ahead of FFXIVs. But you're not really planning on raiding or doing dungeons, are you?

FFXIV you would have to start at level 1 and level up all the way to max, but that'd be a much more even and well-crafted experience.

if you start WoW from level 1, its going to be 4 months before you start having fun. I'm serious. But that's why when you buy WoD you get a free 90 boost. Because the game really begins at 90 at this point, stuff before 90 is practically broken. But that's not to say there isn't as much to do; there might even be as much or more to do in WoW from 90 to 100 than in FFXIV from 1 to max.

Hopefully that gives you some idea of the difference? :v: If you want to play it like a traditional single player RPG, then FFXIV is probably the better option. But it comes down to personal taste.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looking for something like Demon/Dark/blood Souls/borne or Monster Hunter, but more souls-y. Levels with check points, hard game play, and very direct engaging combat are a must. (I don't like how long it takes to do a thing in Monster Hunter.)

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
I think I want to build and defend a castle, but I heard the "Castles" games are somewhat bad. Is there an alternative (please don't mention Dwarf Fortress)? Thanks!

e. \/ Cool, thanks for those suggestions! :)

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jul 4, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Turtlicious posted:

Looking for something like Demon/Dark/blood Souls/borne or Monster Hunter, but more souls-y. Levels with check points, hard game play, and very direct engaging combat are a must. (I don't like how long it takes to do a thing in Monster Hunter.)

There's unfortunately not much good like Souls games other than Souls games.

There's Lords of the Fallen which wants to be Souls and feels similar, but generally just isn't as good. If you can get it on big discount then that'll scratch the itch.

Dragon's Dogma is kinda like skyrim mixed with monster hunter and dark souls. The combat isn't quite as good, but its way better than most. Bonus points because you can climb up on griffons and dragons like shadow of the colossus or some poo poo. Its more of an open world quest affair than a really tight specific level thing like souls, though. But it has the fantasy and combat down.

Monster Hunter is pretty fun stuff, its very specific and limited but its really fun if you like what it does. It has very deliberate, resource based combat like dark souls, but its super... clunky? There's some similar games to MH like Toukiden: The Age of Demons.

There's also the precursors to the souls games, King's Field, although its first person so the combat is more like skyrim aka totally poo poo. So that may not work for you. Still, its got the souls level design and survival going on, and some very similar themes. Shadow Tower Abyss is the same thing but its a clunky FPS which works slightly better?

No joke the closest thing I can think of to Dark Souls is the old Castlevania games on NES and SNES, pre-metroidvania. Maybe try those, or Shovel Knight?

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

I think I want to build and defend a castle, but I heard the "Castles" games are somewhat bad. Is there an alternative (please don't mention Dwarf Fortress)? Thanks!

Stronghold! Probably Stronghold Crusader HD these days. There's also a newer 3d Stronghold but I think the reception was kinda mixed? Classic Stronhold rules though.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

Toukiden: Kiwami just released on Steam and is supposed to be a straight clone of Monster Hunter.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

The Total War series of games let you defend/attack forts and such. You don't get to build any of your own design though.

Medieval Engineers may also be what you're looking for, but it's very very early access. Building and besieging castles seems to be the point of that game though.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Zaphod42 posted:

WoW has completely re-invented itself with each expansion and generally pushes ahead of all other MMOs. MoP, although it was given a lot of poo poo, did a lot of really brilliant and forward-thinking design moves, and WoD has only continued that while adding more. And WoD also has a cool classic warcraft-2 feeling going on, since pandaria wasn't super popular.

What you'd want to do is get WoD and then boost a character right to 90. Then play from 90 to 100, and do the new stuff they added for 100+ in Tanaan Jungle. Then either play the new raids on LFG difficulty (stuuuupid easy, you can do this while drunk and nobody will notice unless you're tanking, and even then...) or just stop playing once you get to that point. 90 to 100 plus the new Tanaan stuff should give you a couple months of content easy, and it'll be a nice romp of quests with good variety and some decent story (nothing award winning).

Its hard to compare FFXIV. I like it a lot too, but its really... different? The world has more detail and story and craft, and the game looks beautiful. But it also feels kinda hollow compared to WoW? Like everything's pretty but there's less to do.

But in a way WoW feels hollow too; there's a ton of different things to do but none of it feels especially deep. FFXIV almost feels more ... solid, in that way? gently caress its hard to put into words.

Also FFXIV's FATEs (events) are pretty drat cool and bring lots of random players together for a fun moment, then off you go on your own. WoW's best attempt at doing something similar hasn't really worked out.

WoW's dungeons and raids are MILES ahead of FFXIVs. But you're not really planning on raiding or doing dungeons, are you?

FFXIV you would have to start at level 1 and level up all the way to max, but that'd be a much more even and well-crafted experience.

if you start WoW from level 1, its going to be 4 months before you start having fun. I'm serious. But that's why when you buy WoD you get a free 90 boost. Because the game really begins at 90 at this point, stuff before 90 is practically broken. But that's not to say there isn't as much to do; there might even be as much or more to do in WoW from 90 to 100 than in FFXIV from 1 to max.

Hopefully that gives you some idea of the difference? :v: If you want to play it like a traditional single player RPG, then FFXIV is probably the better option. But it comes down to personal taste.

I was thinking of playing from Level 1 in WoW because I haven't played the redesigned world they did in Cataclysm. I've played 60-80 (TBC/Wrath) too many times to count and not really looking forward to that part of leveling, but 81-90 would also be new content for me too. I just don't know how worthwhile the Cata 1-58, 81-90 content is, or if it would just be a better idea to play 90+. I know WoD redid the stats/numbers so for all I know 1-90 might be a broken mess now.

I would enjoy running dungeons and fast/puggable raids. I just don't have the time to join some hardcore guild and wipe over and over on Lichmaster Dickhead until 3AM anymore.
I used to like PvP too, but I don't know the state of that in WoW anymore. It is something I can live without, but a nice bonus especially if it is actually fun like it used to be during Vanilla/TBC.

Also what is wrong with FFXIV's dungeons? I know nothing about them, are they just bland?

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I played Puzzle and Dragons for two years while commuting. Lately I've felt an itch to get back into a similar type of game. Tried Brave Frontier but the combat seemed lovely. Anything else worth checking out? I like the whole "check the game every few hours, scheduled events, building up a team" style for mobile.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
edit:wrong thread

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I played Puzzle and Dragons for two years while commuting. Lately I've felt an itch to get back into a similar type of game. Tried Brave Frontier but the combat seemed lovely. Anything else worth checking out? I like the whole "check the game every few hours, scheduled events, building up a team" style for mobile.

Summoner Wars is pretty fun, and the guys who made Puzzle Quest just put one out called Gems of War or something to that effect.

Meta Ridley posted:

I was thinking of playing from Level 1 in WoW because I haven't played the redesigned world they did in Cataclysm. I've played 60-80 (TBC/Wrath) too many times to count and not really looking forward to that part of leveling, but 81-90 would also be new content for me too. I just don't know how worthwhile the Cata 1-58, 81-90 content is, or if it would just be a better idea to play 90+. I know WoD redid the stats/numbers so for all I know 1-90 might be a broken mess now.

I would enjoy running dungeons and fast/puggable raids. I just don't have the time to join some hardcore guild and wipe over and over on Lichmaster Dickhead until 3AM anymore.
I used to like PvP too, but I don't know the state of that in WoW anymore. It is something I can live without, but a nice bonus especially if it is actually fun like it used to be during Vanilla/TBC.

Also what is wrong with FFXIV's dungeons? I know nothing about them, are they just bland?

For what it's worth, I think FFXIV dungeons are much better than WoW's. I think FFXIV is a little more challenging, whereas in WoW (WotLK was the last time I played) I could pretty much go AFK with my Paladin tank and could shift into caster form to heal myself as a Druid tank, in FF if I'm not hitting my threat rotation just right I will almost certainly lose threat. Story-wise though, WoW's dungeons are definitely more coherent and colourful, but I think FF's story is better overall but is definitely a JRPG story.

The dungeons are still puggable and I think the community at large is less bad than WoW's.

Geektox fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 3, 2015

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I bought a Saitek Joystick + HOTAS setup to play Elite: Dangerous with and it's rad as gently caress, too bad the game is shallow and boring, albeit very pretty. Can someone recommend games where i could make full use of this setup?

Recent (cause i like pretty graphics)
Not ArmA (cause i've played it and i have no friends to play online with)
Not Star Citizen (lol)
Not Microsoft Flight Sim (see next sentence)
Not a "here's a plane, there's a vast open world, go make your own game" type of game, i need clear goals and meaningful things to do or i lose interest almost instantly.

Other than that it can be pretty much anything i think.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Rise of Flight (WW1 fighter sim) or one of the IL2 Sturmovik games might be good for you.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Dongattack posted:

I bought a Saitek Joystick + HOTAS setup to play Elite: Dangerous with and it's rad as gently caress, too bad the game is shallow and boring, albeit very pretty. Can someone recommend games where i could make full use of this setup?

Not Star Citizen (lol)
Not a "here's a plane, there's a vast open world, go make your own game" type of game, i need clear goals and meaningful things to do or i lose interest almost instantly.

Freespace 2 with the latest SCP version is absolutely gorgeous and also extremely good with enough content, official and fan-made, to last you years.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Freespace 2 with the latest SCP version is absolutely gorgeous and also extremely good with enough content, official and fan-made, to last you years.
I really enjoyed the Freespace 1 campaign imported into FS2 with SCP when I played it. I'd start with that before jumping into FS2 directly.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Dongattack posted:

Not Star Citizen (lol)

war thunder? fly around on teams shooting at the other team, drop bombs on enemy tanks on the ground, crash into your allies on accident, tell people that nazis were war criminals and watch them blow the gently caress up at your, its a real fun game

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

cisco privilege posted:

I really enjoyed the Freespace 1 campaign imported into FS2 with SCP when I played it. I'd start with that before jumping into FS2 directly.
yeah definitely do that. Also Silent Threat: Reborn, the FS1 expansion remade from the ground up with brand-new features like "not being poo poo"

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Any good fantasy hack and slash/action RPG released in recent years that I'm unaware of? Open world is a plus too. I like Skyrim but want something new. Mount and Blade is really my recent favorite but I'm burnt out on it. Preferably looking for PC games but I'm thinking about getting a PS4, so if there are any titles for it that would fit the criteria it'd be more of a reason to get one. :3:

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

crunk dork posted:

Any good fantasy hack and slash/action RPG released in recent years that I'm unaware of? Open world is a plus too. I like Skyrim but want something new. Mount and Blade is really my recent favorite but I'm burnt out on it. Preferably looking for PC games but I'm thinking about getting a PS4, so if there are any titles for it that would fit the criteria it'd be more of a reason to get one. :3:

I assume you've also played the Witcher games? If not, Witcher 3 is a contender for the greatest open-world action RPG of all time. Witcher 1 is pretty aged and clunky now, but Witcher 2 is pretty polished. It might be hard to go back if you play 3 first, though.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Geektox posted:

Summoner Wars is pretty fun, and the guys who made Puzzle Quest just put one out called Gems of War or something to that effect.

Cool thanks I'll check it out. I also downloaded Monster Strike and I'm enjoying it so far. Didn't see a thread for it though, is it not that popular over here yet?

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Cantorsdust posted:

I assume you've also played the Witcher games? If not, Witcher 3 is a contender for the greatest open-world action RPG of all time. Witcher 1 is pretty aged and clunky now, but Witcher 2 is pretty polished. It might be hard to go back if you play 3 first, though.

I tried Witcher 1 not too long ago and it felt really dated, I'll have to give 3 a go maybe. Does the combat feel smoother compared to 1?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

crunk dork posted:

I tried Witcher 1 not too long ago and it felt really dated, I'll have to give 3 a go maybe. Does the combat feel smoother compared to 1?

I couldn't get through the Witcher 1 at all for the same reasons as you. The combat in the Witcher 3 is so different and so much better that it's not even worth comparing. If you've played Arkham Asylum, Shadows of Mordor etc. then it will seem very familiar, just with a few added RPG elements like potion crafting and consumables.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

There's unfortunately not much good like Souls games other than Souls games.

There's Lords of the Fallen which wants to be Souls and feels similar, but generally just isn't as good. If you can get it on big discount then that'll scratch the itch.

Dragon's Dogma is kinda like skyrim mixed with monster hunter and dark souls. The combat isn't quite as good, but its way better than most. Bonus points because you can climb up on griffons and dragons like shadow of the colossus or some poo poo. Its more of an open world quest affair than a really tight specific level thing like souls, though. But it has the fantasy and combat down.

Monster Hunter is pretty fun stuff, its very specific and limited but its really fun if you like what it does. It has very deliberate, resource based combat like dark souls, but its super... clunky? There's some similar games to MH like Toukiden: The Age of Demons.

There's also the precursors to the souls games, King's Field, although its first person so the combat is more like skyrim aka totally poo poo. So that may not work for you. Still, its got the souls level design and survival going on, and some very similar themes. Shadow Tower Abyss is the same thing but its a clunky FPS which works slightly better?

No joke the closest thing I can think of to Dark Souls is the old Castlevania games on NES and SNES, pre-metroidvania. Maybe try those, or Shovel Knight?

Stronghold! Probably Stronghold Crusader HD these days. There's also a newer 3d Stronghold but I think the reception was kinda mixed? Classic Stronhold rules though.

Castlevania is totally a good comparison to souls games I feel. They're the proper way to make a 3d castlevania

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

I couldn't get through the Witcher 1 at all for the same reasons as you. The combat in the Witcher 3 is so different and so much better that it's not even worth comparing. If you've played Arkham Asylum, Shadows of Mordor etc. then it will seem very familiar, just with a few added RPG elements like potion crafting and consumables.

Haven't played either of those but I've seen gameplay video and the hack n slash kind of combat is exactly what I'm after, with the added RPG junk to make progression more detailed. Sounds good and I'll give it a whirl. Thanks guys.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I'm still used to thinking of The Witcher as "that lovely repackaged NWN mod with collectible cards of all the women you've banged and combat consisting entirely of QTEs."

It's a deep hole to climb out of.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'd suggest playing Witcher 2 first, because 3 really ties into it and expects that you've played 2. 2 is also good at explaining things for a newcomer. (2 was my first one)

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Cool thanks I'll check it out. I also downloaded Monster Strike and I'm enjoying it so far. Didn't see a thread for it though, is it not that popular over here yet?

There is a thread for it, but it's not very active. Monster Strike got old very quickly for me and I couldn't find groups go coop with.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Geektox posted:

There is a thread for it, but it's not very active. Monster Strike got old very quickly for me and I couldn't find groups go coop with.

Interesting. I got really sick of Brave Frontier really quickly. The combat was so boring. PAD kept me invested way longer but the match 3 also got old. I kinda like Monster Strikes variety, but we'll see how long it lasts.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Danger Mahoney posted:

Is there a Faster Than Light but focused on exploring the universe and doing poo poo as it pops up rather than a linear rush to the end of the game?

Old post, I'd recommend Freelancer if nobody else has.

Once you get past the introduction, you can do anything you want. It's very much like a single player space MMO with a vast galaxy to tool around in.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Interesting. I got really sick of Brave Frontier really quickly. The combat was so boring. PAD kept me invested way longer but the match 3 also got old. I kinda like Monster Strikes variety, but we'll see how long it lasts.

I think I was also a bit put off by stories of P2W and people frequently dropping thousands of dollars on the game and the insane reroll grind. But both of those things happen in PAD too I and still play that occasionally so... :shrug:

For my own question, are there any Fire Emblem/X-Com:EW style turn-based tactical games with minimal story and set in a more realistic military setting? Is that Door Kickers game any good? (I don't like the original X-Com that much so something like Xenonauts is probably not up my alley.)

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Geektox posted:

I think I was also a bit put off by stories of P2W and people frequently dropping thousands of dollars on the game and the insane reroll grind. But both of those things happen in PAD too I and still play that occasionally so... :shrug:

For my own question, are there any Fire Emblem/X-Com:EW style turn-based tactical games with minimal story and set in a more realistic military setting? Is that Door Kickers game any good? (I don't like the original X-Com that much so something like Xenonauts is probably not up my alley.)

Play Long War :getin:

And then mod the poo poo outta it because it's a bit on the difficult and grognardy side but that poo poo is easy to get rid of.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Meta Ridley posted:

The redesigned Cataclysm world is better than old vanilla (which would otherwise be 10 years old now) but is still not nearly as good as the high level Cata, MoP, or WoD areas. I'd skip it, but you can always create a second character if you wanna fart around those areas.

The Cata zones are really good but playing an MMO by yourself is kinda lonely. Even if you're not grouping with anybody, you want to have people around you, it just feels better. So I'd skip up to WoD honestly, but if you wanted then the zones for Cata and MoP are actually really cool and have some cool quests and stuff.

The pug raids in wow are really easy and pretty fun if you don't want to bother with hardcore raiding. PvP is totally optional but you have a few things you can do that are fun (arena, battlegrounds, and overworld stuff in ashran)

FFXIV's dungeons are fine, but I feel like wow's are just tighter balanced. FFXIV's feel more like a D&D dungeon where its just rooms of stuff but there's a kinda cool backstory? Meanwhile WoW's dungeons are more arcade-y but mechanically feel slicker and more interesting? Like I said in my first post, its really hard to compare. They're very similar games, both trinity based (tank, damage, heals) MMORPGs. There's just some subtle artistic differences. FFXIV is way prettier, but WoW feels more detailed? But FFXIV feels more real?

You'd have to try both to really know what works more for you.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

I like the whole "check the game every few hours, scheduled events, building up a team" style for mobile.

Maybe not quite the same but you might like Clash of Clans. Check in every now and then and start research/build buildings when your builders are free, or if you're in a hurry and/or have more free time you can start doing attacks to gain resources faster. Unlike most resource war games they can only steal a small percentage of what you've got (less if you're active and store it), and once you've been attacked successfully you get a free shield to protect you for 12-16 hours, so you don't really feel like you're making backwards progress like in most of them. It's also not pay to win which is nice. It does feel kind of pointless until you get a group of friends together in a clan and start planning proper strategies for war hits :getin:. It's nice that it's fairly well balanced and strategy makes a lot of difference in both base building and army compositions, and yet it's not overly punishing either.

Zaphod42 posted:

WoW
The pug raids in wow are really easy and pretty fun if you don't want to bother with hardcore raiding.

LFR can be completed while blind drunk and almost seems pointless, but serves as a vehicle to get through story quests and collect easy gear. The real awesomeness is in the improved group finders which let you find (or make) pug groups for any content, from current raids to old raids (for sightseeing or achievements) or world farming and quests. There are even usually entries for :stonk: horrifying RP situations you can hop into if you wish!

Tagra fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 8, 2015

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Does anything have the same basic game mechanic loop of Age of Empires II but looks pretty and modern? Prefer a historical game if possible.

I have AoEII HD but want something more if it exists.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Besson posted:

Does anything have the same basic game mechanic loop of Age of Empires II but looks pretty and modern? Prefer a historical game if possible.

It's not HD but Age of Empires 3 isn't old enough to look that aged and its a good game.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Besson posted:

Rise of Nations HD is great, but it isnt new.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Besson posted:

Age of Empires 2 is the high water mark, so that's as good as it gets. But if you just want some variety in the same area:
Age of Empires 1 is just as great if you haven't played it. The more primitive time period makes for some fun differences.
Age 3 is similar but changes a lot about the RTS formula so it may not appeal as much, and is 3D.
Age of Mythology is closer to Age 2 than Age 3 but is 3D. Its not historical so much as mythological based, although still slightly historical? Cultural.
Like HerpicleOmnicron5 said, Rise of Nations is very Age in its RTS design and is generally pretty great.
Rise of Legends is similar and also great, but is not historical at all and is instead fantasy based.
The Empire Earth series all feels very Age of Empires (as opposed to say starcraft)
Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds is literally the Age of Empires 2 engine, but its Star Wars obviously. So not historical.
American Conquest is based on the Revolution and feels kinda Age of Empires in the way you direct armies. Truly MASSIVE scale, unbelievable unit counts.
The Stronghold games are different in that its not a normal full RTS but you just defend castles, but it has a Age of Empires kinda feel going on in some ways and is historical (medieval).

Dogfacedchicken
May 7, 2015

Meta Ridley posted:

Playing from Level 1 in WoW is easier than ever with their heirloom system if you still have some high levels sitting around. Basically the way it works is you can purchase "heirloom" gear that go into an account wide collection tab. The gear can be created by any character by just going into the tab, it scales with your level (until level 60, you can then upgrade the heirlooms to cap at 90 and even 100). Many heirloom armor pieces give xp bonuses as well (5%-10%). If you are therefore looking to experience the world for content and are not a huge fan of grinding, it does make it all the better. You can also look at for world events such as the one that just ended (mid summer) that have a 10% xp bonus, or the monthly darkmoon faire (which gives a 10% xp/rep bonus for riding the merry go round.)

Content-wise I have not experienced it all yet, but I can say there are interesting things going on in the cata world compared to vanilla. I particularly made a lowbie to experience the blood elf starting area and then went over to the forsaken area and was surprised to witness this gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt-Lbpdqps4

Lastly, once you DO get to the highest levels, you can experience all the old raids up to cata solo because your character is so powerful, and in LFG people still do the last expansion's raids. I had not played since cata and just came back and for me it is great to see all the things I skipped as I was never a serious raider.

Hope that helps.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I definitely recommend going horde if you're going to start from level 1, the Barrens redo is awesome, and there are some gems of zones like Thousand Needles and others. You get a boat mount in Thousand Needles :pirate:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Are there any good, complex tennis games on PC in existence? One with a career mode like the old Tiger Woods games would be perfect.