Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
I'm looking for a co-op (either lan or online) pve game to play. I really love dungeons and bosses but I don't want to spend all of the time doing all of the time-sink things like leveling up/professions that MMOs like WoW or Rift have. I've been trying to google things like this and I haven't had much luck.

I've been playing / have tried:
Dota 2
Baldur's Gate (partner isn't interested)
Diablo 2 (we beat it, not a lot of strategy in that)
WoW Private server (didn't want to put in the time)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Blowdryer posted:

I'm looking for a co-op (either lan or online) pve game to play. I really love dungeons and bosses but I don't want to spend all of the time doing all of the time-sink things like leveling up/professions that MMOs like WoW or Rift have. I've been trying to google things like this and I haven't had much luck.

Dota 2

Dark Souls.

Also, you should at least play through normal in Path of Exile. Act 4 boss fights are pretty intense now, and it doesn't take a whole lot of time to get there.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
If you like RPGs and turn-based strategy, Divinity: Original Sin is pretty much tailored for co-op and it has plenty of dungeons and bosses. There's also an enhanced edition coming sometime in the future which AFAIK is free for anyone who owns the game.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chamale posted:

Red Faction Guerilla, once you realize that a big truck is more effective at destroying buildings than explosives it becomes very Fury Road.

Especially if you play the Demons of the Badlands add-on DLC (Which I'm pretty sure just comes with the game anywhere you can buy it now) where you play as the Marauders.

Some examples.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Blowdryer posted:

Dota 2

If you want a hilariously bad game that is somehow still entertaining because it has co-op first person dungeons, check out Dungeon Lords :v: (if you can find it...)

If you want to end friendships, try FORCED. It's kind of like the intricate boss fights from WoW but it requires a lot of precision and it's incredibly easy to screw over your whole team.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I wonder if a game like this exists:

• RTS with relatively fast paced, truly real time combat (ie. not like a Pillars of Eternity where I have pause 100 times in every fight)
• A big world to explore
• Small, persistent team of characters with RPG elements
• A good story

I enjoy traditional RTS games but am tired of the whole "do a battle with a bunch of expendable dudes, win, then do another" thing. If I there's a game like Wasteland 2 or Pillars of Eternity with combat that plays like Starcraft or Company of Heroes I would be sold.

Any ideas?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

kedo posted:

• RTS with relatively fast paced, truly real time combat (ie. not like a Pillars of Eternity where I have pause 100 times in every fight)
• A big world to explore
• A good story

I enjoy traditional RTS games but am tired of the whole "do a battle with a bunch of expendable dudes, win, then do another" thing. If I there's a game like Wasteland 2 or Pillars of Eternity with combat that plays like Starcraft or Company of Heroes I would be sold.

Any ideas?

It's older and certainly shows its age, but Original War is an RTS where every single soldier is unique with skill growth and can be lost permanently. And you will have to sacrifice them sometimes.

It is mission based though, the rest fits your criteria though.
(Goofy voice acting though)

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blowdryer posted:

Dota 2

Monster Hunter 4U

There's a timesink aspect, but it's beating a monster, that can very easily kill you if you're not careful, over the head with a hammer made from another monster's skull.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

kedo posted:

• A big world to explore
• A good story

Any ideas?

Dawn of War 2. No real exploring/overworld, but you can pick and choose mission, get levels/loot/customize your dudes + co-op.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Blowdryer posted:

Dota 2

Divinity: Original Sin?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Loving Life Partner posted:

Are there any new-ish games in the style of Game Dev Tycoon that are good/decently deep?

I love management sims, played the hell out of GDT and every good Kairosoft game.

Bit late but "Holy Potatoes: A Weapon Shop" is basically Game Dev Story/Tychoon but for weapons.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Blowdryer posted:

Dota 2

Maybe Magicka?

Shitbreak
Jun 20, 2005
Hey, looking for a rather complex strategy game, preferably in a fantasy/ancient history setting. Games I played and enjoyed include: Basically all paradox titles (ck2, eu4, Victoria etc), civilization, endless legend and dominions 4. Im mainly looking for the empire-building part rather than the battle part. I played soverignity but it was a bit too casual for My Tastes. Looking forward to all suggestions!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Shitbreak posted:

Hey, looking for a rather complex strategy game, preferably in a fantasy/ancient history setting. Games I played and enjoyed include: Basically all paradox titles (ck2, eu4, Victoria etc), civilization, endless legend and dominions 4. Im mainly looking for the empire-building part rather than the battle part. I played soverignity but it was a bit too casual for My Tastes. Looking forward to all suggestions!

Dwarf Fortress is what you want. If you can't handle the graphics, try Gnomoria instead.

I also want to recommend Commander: The Great War which puts you in charge of one of the sides in WW1, but its entirely combat so maybe not your cup of tea. You might find something in the grognard thread, the AGEOD games spring to mind.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Blowdryer posted:

Dota 2

Payday 2 if you want a shooter

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

The Iron Rose posted:

Payday 2 if you want a shooter

Terraria has an RPG like progression, boss fights and can be played multiplayer. A recent patch added a bunch of cool poo poo.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Are there any good turn-based loot fests out there? Roguelikes are fine as long as the loot system is really good.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

LLSix posted:

Dwarf Fortress is what you want. If you can't handle the graphics, try Gnomoria instead.

dwarf fortress isn't really a strategy game though but i haven't kept up on it for a few years so maybe its got new modes. sounds like he wants a total war

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jul 27, 2015

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want a 4x with amazing AI (not necessarily hard, but something that doesn't have 1 true way to win.) That is wildly different between factions, and is easy to learn offline. That isn't Civ V

Gusano
Dec 15, 2013
Hey guys, I've recently got a $50 card for my PS4. I'd like to buy a game that:

- Has a lot of arcade "old-school" fun.
- Can be played in split screen or co-op.
- It's actually long or with lots of elements to play witj.

I already have Helldivers and Magicka. I guess I'm looking for something in the vein of Spelunky or Hotline Miami. Maybe Terraria?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Turtlicious posted:

I want a 4x with amazing AI (not necessarily hard, but something that doesn't have 1 true way to win.) That is wildly different between factions, and is easy to learn offline. That isn't Civ V

gal civ series maybe?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Gusano posted:

I already have Helldivers and Magicka. I guess I'm looking for something in the vein of Spelunky or Hotline Miami. Maybe Terraria?

Terraria for sure. I don't know if it has splitscreen on PS4, but if it does then it's perfect for you. I just put my 600th hour in according to steam

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Turtlicious posted:

Maybe not exactly a 4x but have you tried Alpha Centauri Alien Crossfire? Think it's on GOG.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

cisco privilege posted:

Maybe not exactly a 4x but have you tried Alpha Centauri Alien Crossfire? Think it's on GOG.

That is one of the reference games for the 4x genre. "eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, and eXterminate"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gusano posted:

PS4 games with old school arcade fun: Rocket League, Geometry Wars
PS4 games that are fun co-op: bloodborne (sometimes), assassin's creed unity (sometimes), Helldivers
PS4 games that are both, and also long: <cricket noise>

Your best bet is going to be looking through downloadable PSN games, I guess. There's not a ton on PS4 period, much less that fits those requirements.
And split-screen is pretty much completely dead.

Hotline is fun but is solo. Terraria is pretty lame IMO.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Diablo 3: UEE for PS4 has greatly satisfying arcade-like combat, can be played co-op or split screen, and is getting another huge free update later this month.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

exquisite tea posted:

Diablo 3: UEE for PS4 has greatly satisfying arcade-like combat, can be played co-op or split screen, and is getting another huge free update later this month.

Oh, you've got me there. I keep forgetting Diablo is on console and plays different than PC.

Diablo or Helldivers are your best bet for arcade co-op for sure.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Evilreaver posted:

Original War

Cool, thanks guys!

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

cisco privilege posted:

Just out curiosity, but if SMAC isn't a 4x, then what is? I think the governors are even based around the 4x's.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Gusano posted:

Sports Friends is good arcade head-to-head, but unfortunately it only has a few game modes. They are pretty replayable, though.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

prometheusbound2 posted:

Just out curiosity, but if SMAC isn't a 4x, then what is? I think the governors are even based around the 4x's.
I'm dumb, I didn't quite know how 4x games were defined. Still, it's good and the poster should try it out.

MrBims posted:

That is one of the reference games for the 4x genre. "eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, and eXterminate"

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Real hurthling! posted:

gal civ series maybe?

cisco privilege posted:

Is there anything newer? The older interfaces always are super clunky, and I'd like something that aged well.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Good AI and strong faction differentiation are almost mutually exclusive. You really should just fire up GalCiv 2 or 3. The latter's only a couple months old.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Recommend me games where I can play an alien alien. As in, something truly alien and not just a humanoid with a rubber suit and different culture. Extra-dimensional entities, grey goo (yes I know that one), emergent AIs* with totally nonhuman thought processes, the sentient ocean from Solaris, the works. The less human the better.

Genre irrelevant, PC preferred but other platforms may be considered if the game's awesome.

* No, it doesn't have to be a SF, it-came-from-another-world being. I prefer SF, but fantasy and other settings are acceptable.

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER
Is there anything out there other than Mass Effect that scratches that Sci-Fi-Shooter-RPG itch?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

NovaLion posted:

Is there anything out there other than Mass Effect that scratches that Sci-Fi-Shooter-RPG itch?

Deus Ex? And Deus Ex HR?

And for that matter, System Shock 2, maybe even Bioshock but less RPG, maybe STALKER.

Pierzak posted:

Recommend me games where I can play an alien alien. As in, something truly alien and not just a humanoid with a rubber suit and different culture. Extra-dimensional entities, grey goo (yes I know that one), emergent AIs* with totally nonhuman thought processes, the sentient ocean from Solaris, the works. The less human the better.

Genre irrelevant, PC preferred but other platforms may be considered if the game's awesome.

* No, it doesn't have to be a SF, it-came-from-another-world being. I prefer SF, but fantasy and other settings are acceptable.

Hmmm. Games like Natural Selection 2 and Alien Vs Predator let you play as aliens that aren't just star trek dudes with makeup, but you might want something more out there than that. Natural Selection 2 lets you bet like a flying zerg monster or a zerg dog thing and stuff like that, with cool weird vision modes, but its also multiplayer. Alien vs predator had a predator campaign and an alien campaign, and both were pretty cool. The Alien in particular was way different than the human or predator and you really felt like an alien monster thing breaking loose on the people experimenting on you. You walk on ceilings and you have night vision, although its this warped tunnel vision, does a good job of conveying the feeling of being an alien.

There's some games like Mass Effect that don't let you be the crazy out-there alien, but have them in the story. But not many that let you play as something that crazy. There's that grey goo RTS and a couple sorta like it... and Spore I guess.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Pierzak posted:

Space Empires IV, if you can stand a somewhat dated and obtuse 4X game, lets you not only be truly alien aliens but customizably so. Do your sentient crystals live on hydrogen gas giants or airless rockballs? Are they aggressive or peaceful? Clever or dense? Can they see the future?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Shitbreak posted:

Pierzak posted:

Both of you should take a look at Distant Worlds. Maybe Endless Legend too, the AI is weak in this one but not totally braindead.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Hmmm. Games like Natural Selection 2 and Alien Vs Predator let you play as aliens that aren't just star trek dudes with makeup, but you might want something more out there than that.
Definitely more than that, I consider the xenomorph still a rubbersuit human.

chairface posted:

Space Empires IV
Played it, loved that you could build Dyson spheres and the like, even if everything follows the same framework as humans, just with different parameters. The closest I got was when games let you throw away some of the basic assumptions, like Stars where you had a race that never settled planets - only starbases, all planetary contact was remote mining drones.

Come to think of it, 4X aren't the best genre for it since truly alien species are so hard to balance without losing the feel.

LLSix posted:

Distant Worlds. Maybe Endless Legend too
Played DW, didn't like it for some reason. Might look at EW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

NovaLion posted:

There's Lost Planet 3 but I cannot in good conscience recommend it unless it goes on sale for ~$6, which happens frequently.