Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Riven had some devilishly clever puzzles. Figuring out the D'ni number symbols from the whark toy in the schoolhouse made me feel like a boss, before I knew that non-decimal counting systems were even a thing that existed in mathematics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Evilreaver posted:

e: I doubt there's even a single adventure game without a bullshit puzzle somewhere in it

Phoenix Wright? There are a few situations conducive to the 'oh this must be where I present [secret weapon evidence], wait what do you mean this is unrelated?!', but it never expects you to combine stuff or anything, so you can only get so stuck.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Is Star Wars the Old Republic a traditional MMORPG, or is it a huge stand alone cRPG?

Can I parade around as a sith in an open world?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Protons posted:

Is Star Wars the Old Republic a traditional MMORPG, or is it a huge stand alone cRPG?

It's Wow with lightsabers

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Protons posted:

It's pretends to be WoW but it's actually better as a single player cRPG.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It's Wow with lightsabers

General Emergency posted:

It's pretends to be WoW but it's actually better as a single player cRPG.

WoW with lightsabers could be cool. Has it received any updates, or will it look like the 12 year old MMO that it is?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Protons posted:

WoW with lightsabers could be cool. Has it received any updates, or will it look like the 12 year old MMO that it is?

It is still pretty solid looking, the style of graphics tends to hold up. I think they improved the F2P to be a bit less...draconian as well

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
It came out like three or four years ago. I mean it's not Witcher 3 but it's not that bad either.

CptJackLaser
Jul 16, 2013

Protons posted:

Are you referring to Star Wars Galaxies as the old game? It was released in 2003 and abandoned a few years later I think.

Star Wars the Old Republic is something entirely different, and very much like the other guys describe...WoW with lightsabers. I played for about a year and it was pretty fun. The graphics are pretty good and it's worth a shot for a F2P game.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

CptJackLaser posted:

Are you referring to Star Wars Galaxies as the old game? It was released in 2003 and abandoned a few years later I think.

Star Wars the Old Republic is something entirely different, and very much like the other guys describe...WoW with lightsabers. I played for about a year and it was pretty fun. The graphics are pretty good and it's worth a shot for a F2P game.

I played SWG :( I was a Teras Kasi Doctor who would buff himself to dizzying heights then box your ears.

I mean the Old Republic, which I'm trying now and it doesn't seem terrible for a F2P.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Protons posted:

SWTOR is literally WoW but with a skin over it that makes it kinda look like KOTOR if you squint.

CptJackLaser posted:

What happened with SWG was it was a really weird unique sandbox game about dancing and making cities instead of lightsaber duels. It was extremely popular with a niche audience, but it never had anywhere near the numbers of WoW. So they released a patch a couple years into the game called "NGE" or New Game Experience that remade all the base mechanics of the game to try to be more like WoW. End result was everybody who liked it for what it was got upset and left, but everybody who wanted a WoW-like game just played WoW, so after NGE there was no reason to play the game anymore and it crashed HARD.

Its one of the biggest examples of misunderstanding your product and audience in the games industry. If they hadn't hosed with it, SWG would probably be going strong today. Not WoW strong mind you, but still strong.

Protons posted:

I played SWG :( I was a Teras Kasi Doctor who would buff himself to dizzying heights then box your ears.

I mean the Old Republic, which I'm trying now and it doesn't seem terrible for a F2P.

Its not terrible, I played it at launch when it required a sub and it was kinda fun, the conversations are a nice story element that makes the game slightly more interesting than WoW singleplayer. But when you hit max there were only 2 short raids so everybody burned out on it and left.

So they made it free to play, but I think some of the ways they nickle and dime you are kinda lame. Its not a bad game but its not a great one either.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

SWTOR is literally WoW but with a skin over it that makes it kinda look like KOTOR if you squint.

What happened with SWG was it was a really weird unique sandbox game about dancing and making cities instead of lightsaber duels. It was extremely popular with a niche audience, but it never had anywhere near the numbers of WoW. So they released a patch a couple years into the game called "NGE" or New Game Experience that remade all the base mechanics of the game to try to be more like WoW. End result was everybody who liked it for what it was got upset and left, but everybody who wanted a WoW-like game just played WoW, so after NGE there was no reason to play the game anymore and it crashed HARD.

Its one of the biggest examples of misunderstanding your product and audience in the games industry. If they hadn't hosed with it, SWG would probably be going strong today. Not WoW strong mind you, but still strong.

Its not terrible, I played it at launch when it required a sub and it was kinda fun, the conversations are a nice story element that makes the game slightly more interesting than WoW singleplayer. But when you hit max there were only 2 short raids so everybody burned out on it and left.

So they made it free to play, but I think some of the ways they nickle and dime you are kinda lame. Its not a bad game but its not a great one either.

It really feels like a single player RPG. I get a quest, I kill X mobs, I come back and pick 1 of 3 conversation choices. Rinse and repeat. Things will change I'm sure once the game is downloaded fully and I'm out of the newbie area.

I was under the impression that SWG failed so hard because of their handling of becoming a Sith or Jedi. Buying or finding those holocrons and then grinding whatever 2 stupid professions it told you, only to need to grind a 3rd mystery profession was a *huge* gently caress you. This was when there were something like 18 professions or something, so having 16 to just guess from was *awful.*

CptJackLaser
Jul 16, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

I believe there was an attempt to resurrect SWG on private servers several years ago as well, correct? I have friends who played the game on release and said it had an incredible crafting system, and some of the most detailed gameplay they've ever experienced. Thanks for the background on what caused it to fail.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Crafting was a pain in the rear end from what I remember. SWG was the only game I can recall that had degrees of quality on crafted goods. For example, you could craft your own medical packs to heal and buff yourself with, but depending on a.) the quality of materials you paid for or farmed extra hard for, b.) the quality of the fabrication machine you used to create the items, which then had it's own levels of component quality, and c.) your skill at crafting, you could easily make healing and buffing items that would be 10x better than someone who used standard stuff.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Protons posted:

Crafting was a pain in the rear end from what I remember. SWG was the only game I can recall that had degrees of quality on crafted goods. For example, you could craft your own medical packs to heal and buff yourself with, but depending on a.) the quality of materials you paid for or farmed extra hard for, b.) the quality of the fabrication machine you used to create the items, which then had it's own levels of component quality, and c.) your skill at crafting, you could easily make healing and buffing items that would be 10x better than someone who used standard stuff.

Pretty much this, and to add salt to the injury, the average quality of the natutal resources available for crafting varied greatly from server to server. Europe Infinity-2 player here, aka one of the servers with worst materials ever :(

Still one of the best mmorpgs experienced I've ever had.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Protons posted:

I was under the impression that SWG failed so hard because of their handling of becoming a Sith or Jedi. Buying or finding those holocrons and then grinding whatever 2 stupid professions it told you, only to need to grind a 3rd mystery profession was a *huge* gently caress you. This was when there were something like 18 professions or something, so having 16 to just guess from was *awful.*

No, that was a good thing. It meant most people weren't Jedi and that was how it should be, jedi are pretty rare in star wars. It made getting to Jedi a big deal.

(there were no sith players)

It just meant that most people weren't jedi and accepted it. You were a smuggler or a dancer or a medic or a bounty hunter instead. And that was still fun.

After the NGE, they made it so you could create a jedi character right away at level 1. So you had jedi everywhere who couldn't even hit a bat with a stick. It was a joke. They weren't jedi, they were world of warcraft warriors that just happened to be in SWG. It ruined the whole thing, nobody cared about being jedi anymore.

In SWTOR you can be a jedi from level 1, but the game is more built around that. There's a story that explains why you're a padawan or whatever, and its more action focused and plot oriented. You're a jedi flying from planet to planet solving problems or whatever. Its also Old Republic era where Jedi where way way more common. Its literally WoW so having Jedi by Warriors works out okay, while in SWG it didn't.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

68 games total,

Recommend me a game.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Protons posted:

68 games total,

Recommend me a game.

Dragonball Universe

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Protons posted:

68 games total,

Recommend me a game.

War Thunder is free and p good if you want to play planes or tanks and ships are coming soon. It's free!

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Protons posted:

68 games total,

Recommend me a game.

Have you tried Call of Duty?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Protons posted:

68 games total,

Recommend me a game.

I hear Bad Rats is popular among goons.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Protons posted:

The Repopulation seems to be making things even more confusing on top of this by allowing you to enrich either a single plant or an entire area for a period of time, plus gigantic crafting trees, and oh dear god

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Back To 99 posted:

Have you tried Call of Duty?

I played Planetside 2 for 2 years and realized I suck at FPS games because I'm old now. I don't really do arcadey FPS games either.

Hahaha $50 for a dumb fighting game?

CptJackLaser
Jul 16, 2013

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The Repopulation seems to be making things even more confusing on top of this by allowing you to enrich either a single plant or an entire area for a period of time, plus gigantic crafting trees, and oh dear god

I run an industrial corp in EVE online, so this sounds like it would have been up my alley.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

CptJackLaser posted:

I run an industrial corp in EVE online, so this sounds like it would have been up my alley.

So does this.

CptJackLaser
Jul 16, 2013

I use Google Doc's, but you are correct. I have five different spreadsheet to cover the various parts of the corp. Man I love that game.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Why do you hate yourself that much?

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
Master of Orion III was so so bad. Not just because it was a boring, lifeless spreadsheet of a game. But because it had so many ideas that genuinely seemed cool and exciting.

One of those features was the emphasis on making alien races that were actually alien, with well developed backstories and history(I am a bit of a story dork in video games). I'd rather the interaction be a bit more involved than killing the aliens.

I am interested in video games, either science fiction or fantasy, that feature genuinely alien non human races. Genre doesn't matter. The list of games that I can think of that do this are pretty short, but for reference here's what I have already played that does this well:

Alpha Centauri-Living planet/collectively conscious fungus!
Star Control 2-there were a fair amount of oddly colored humanoids, but a lot of really cool ideas as well.
Alien Legacy-an obscure early Sierra game
Endless Legend had some really cool races story wise, like the Cultists and Broken Lords and Necromorphs and also gets bonus points for giving each race radically different mechanics.
Planescape: Torment (duh)

And that's really all I can think of(other than Master of Orion III, which was complete poo poo).

prometheusbound2 fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 5, 2015

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
What are some Real Time Strategy games with good meta-game skirmish modes like Galactic Conquest in Star Wars: Empire at War?

I also know that Command and Conquer 3's expansion has one too. Haven't tried it yet.

And Total Annihilation: Titans is on my playlist.

Sins Of a Solar Empire is in a grey area but on my list it counts as one too.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Sep 5, 2015

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

NeoSeeker posted:

What are some Real Time Strategy games with good meta-game skirmish modes like Galactic Conquest in Star Wars: Empire at War?

I also know that Command and Conquer 3's expansion has one too. Haven't tried it yet.

Dawn of War: Dark Crusade is like this. It has a kind of Risk style turn-based strategic map where you can move your guys around and conquer territories. When you attack an enemy territory or come into contact with another hero, it switches to RTS gameplay.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

NeoSeeker posted:

Obviously the Total War series. Rise of Nations. Star Wars: Battlefront II had a similar feature, but that's no RTS.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

prometheusbound2 posted:

Master of Orion III was so so bad. Not just because it was a boring, lifeless spreadsheet of a game. But because it had so many ideas that genuinely seemed cool and exciting.

One of those features was the emphasis on making alien races that were actually alien, with well developed backstories and history(I am a bit of a story dork in video games). I'd rather the interaction be a bit more involved than killing the aliens.

I am interested in video games, either science fiction or fantasy, that feature genuinely alien non human races. Genre doesn't matter. The list of games that I can think of that do this are pretty short, but for reference here's what I have already played that does this well:

Alpha Centauri-Living planet/collectively conscious fungus!
Star Control 2-there were a fair amount of oddly colored humanoids, but a lot of really cool ideas as well.
Alien Legacy-an obscure early Sierra game
Endless Legend had some really cool races story wise, like the Cultists and Broken Lords and Necromorphs and also gets bonus points for giving each race radically different mechanics.
Planescape: Torment (duh)

And that's really all I can think of(other than Master of Orion III, which was complete poo poo).

Captain/Commander Blood is just cold and alien period, complete with the alien vocal synthesis and trying to figure out what aliens are trying to say, and how you might manipulate them. At its heart it's more like Carman San Diego, though. You're basically hunting down your own clones with an HR Geiger ship capable of blowing up planets, to avoid being turned completely into a machine. It's a weird game.

Might also look at the Starflight series.

Take a look at MASTABA SNOOPY https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/3p6uthbmkusf2ja/MASTABA%20SNOOPY.html

Dumpbuckets
Dec 26, 2012

Can anyone recommend me a game that's like Shadow President, ie manage a country, international relations, crises involving enemy countries but without quite as many bugs?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Dumpbuckets posted:

Can anyone recommend me a game that's like Shadow President, ie manage a country, international relations, crises involving enemy countries but without quite as many bugs?

There is its more difficult to find sequel Cyber Judas. Beyond that, nothing really scratches the itch the same way--believe me, I've tried. Paradox games are close, especially Victoria II, but not the same. There's the Supreme Ruler series which is apparently buggy as poo poo. Democracy 3 maybe? It has a much more detailed domestic side but virtually no foreign side.

If you find anything worthwhile, let me know. I've had the same question for years.

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012
Any suggestion for decent post-2009 FPS and/or action adventure games that doesn't require Steam (and Origin)?

I know lots of interesting games are in Steam, but for *reasons* I'm looking for non-Steam and non-Origin games.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Section 31 posted:

Any suggestion for decent post-2009 FPS and/or action adventure games that doesn't require Steam (and Origin)?

I know lots of interesting games are in Steam, but for *reasons* I'm looking for non-Steam and non-Origin games.

I hear Splatoon is p. good.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

Section 31 posted:

Shadow Warrior 2013, Metro 2033, Metro: Last Light, Ziggurat, and Rise of the Triad 2013 are all on GOG.com, which has no DRM and their client is optional.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

NeoSeeker posted:

Battle for Middle Earth 2 has a "war for the ring" mode, in where you conquer middle earth on a strategy map. Each province has special ressources and bonuses, and you amplify these by control all the provinces in a region. You can recruit and arm units in the RTS map, but you need a hero to lead an army. Once you attack or defend a territory, it becomes a RTS match. Only units recruited on the strategy map transfer from a battle.

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Sep 6, 2015

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Dumpbuckets posted:

If you do not mind going old old school (like 1988 DOS game), Hidden Agenda. You play the head of a newly liberated banana republic, with everyone hating you and the US/Soviets pushing their agenda on you as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Can anyone fill me in on Tomb Raider? Is the most recent one good for PC? I gather it's basically a Zelda-type game with an Indiana Jones type girl rather than an elfish boy.