Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Looking for strategy games like the original Star Ruler, the second isn't cutting it for me. In particular I liked the following things:
1) The numbers aren't capped by anything, so balance gives way to silliness with enough time/the right strategy
2) Allows for macro-level strategy where, while you -could- micromanage everything, you can also just brute force everything
3) Very in-depth and interesting unit customization

Things that I don't really give a crap about :
1) The flavor. Sure, star ruler is a space game, but that's not why I like it.
2) Whether it's turn based or real-time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

jon joe posted:

Looking for strategy games like the original Star Ruler, the second isn't cutting it for me. In particular I liked the following things:
1) The numbers aren't capped by anything, so balance gives way to silliness with enough time/the right strategy
2) Allows for macro-level strategy where, while you -could- micromanage everything, you can also just brute force everything
3) Very in-depth and interesting unit customization

Things that I don't really give a crap about :
1) The flavor. Sure, star ruler is a space game, but that's not why I like it.
2) Whether it's turn based or real-time.

Distant Worlds: Universe is similar. You can micro down to small levels or automate things and only manage things at high level. The unit customization has a lot of depth too. The game is very complex if you want it to be. Decent learning curve and the UI isn't that great though.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Distant+Worlds%3A+Universe+gameplay

http://store.steampowered.com/app/261470/?snr=1_5_9__300

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012
Seconding Distant Worlds, you can repair or build world-destroying ships and you have the ability to manage as little or as much as you want. It's my absolute favorite 4x game at the moment. The only games that compete are Paradox's grand strategy games, and maybe Stellaris when it releases.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

DW:U is fantastic but it can be a little tricky to get into. I watched some guy do a Let's Play with nothing automated to learn most of the systems, and then went in and automated the parts I didn't find fun.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

dis astranagant posted:

I'm probably asking for something that doesn't exist but I want a game like Hammerfight.

exanima

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FITvhI20jbw

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Uhhh, what's the state of the art in dancing games right now? Anything to avoid? I have a PS4 and WiiU.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I'm looking for something to play while listening to podcasts. Something with progression, RPG elements, interlocking systems, collection mechanics, stuff like that. Nothing too story- and dialogue-heavy unless it can be safely ignored. I'm flexible on genre.

Past winners: Diablo 3, WoW, Destiny, Disgaea, Dark Cloud 2

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

The F2P Marvel Heroes (Diablo 2-ish) was pretty fun for that purpose for me for a long while. Might be worth a try.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shab posted:

I'm looking for something to play while listening to podcasts. Something with progression, RPG elements, interlocking systems, collection mechanics, stuff like that. Nothing too story- and dialogue-heavy unless it can be safely ignored. I'm flexible on genre.

If you liked WoW then FFXIV is the same thing but better. The story is actually really good but its all text and can be safely ignored while grinding away at public events, and there's entire classes dedicated to just collection and crafting.

Everquest project 1999 is also pretty good for just chilling out and grinding in a party or solo while listening to podcasts, but it probably isn't for you if you don't have nostalgia for balls-hard old school MMOs.

As for non-MMOs, Skyrim and Fallout 4 are obvious candidates for games that you can blow hours just running around robbing people, picking up garbage to sell or craft, etc. and both have RPG mechanics.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Shab posted:

Minecraft :D , Just Cause 2 (3 very soon!).

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Shab posted:

Grim Dawn is a really good no-frills ARPG that's a spiritual sequel to Titan Quest. It's in late early access but feels like a finished game.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 1, 2015

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Shab posted:

Euro Truck Sim 2

Sapato
May 31, 2005
:)
I am looking for an RPG where things go constantly wrong for the heroes. The only game I can think of is Wild Arms 1 for ps1. I know every RPG have things go wrong, BUT I would like to experience a game where they kick you when you're down.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Sapato posted:

I am looking for an RPG where things go constantly wrong for the heroes. The only game I can think of is Wild Arms 1 for ps1. I know every RPG have things go wrong, BUT I would like to experience a game where they kick you when you're down.
LISA, Witcher 2, and Nier.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Sapato posted:

FF8? From what I vaguely remember pretty much the only mission things don't get worse afterwards is the tutorial one.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Sapato posted:

Does X-Com count as an RPG?
Or Tomb Raider (2013) which may as well be titled "Lara Croft has a very bad day"

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Sapato posted:

Accordion Man posted:

LISA, Witcher 2, and Nier.

I can confirm The Witcher 2. At the beginning of the game you are the personal bodyguard to the most powerful king of the North and are together with the royal advisor, a bitching hot sorceress. Things only go downhill from there.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Cantorsdust posted:

I can confirm The Witcher 2. At the beginning of the game you are the personal bodyguard to the most powerful king of the North and are together with the royal advisor, a bitching hot sorceress. Things only go downhill from there.
Witcher 2 is pretty much, "What can blow up in Geralt's face this time?"

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Sapato posted:

Pathologic

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Sapato posted:

On the JRPG side I remember Shadow Hearts: Covenant being really depressing and also pretty good. Also really weird.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Sapato posted:

While it might not be obvious at first glance, even 15 years later Breath of Fire IV remains one of the bleakest RPGs around and a lot of Bad poo poo happens throughout that game to the point where at the end you can decide that (obviously bad ending spoilers) humanity is so cruel and selfish that it deserves to be eradicated and then proceed to do exactly that, starting from your own party members who plead you to come to your senses as you murder them in an in-game fight they have no chance of winning. Even the good ending to that game isn't all sunshine and rainbows.

It's also one of the better PS1-era JRPGs, definitely in the top 10 on that system.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

LLSix posted:

FF8? From what I vaguely remember pretty much the only mission things don't get worse afterwards is the tutorial one.

On a related note, Final Fantasy Tactics (the original one - also called "War of the Lions" for the PSP/iOS remaster) is basically a Shakespearian tragedy in RPG form.

It's a game where the overarching theme is that the people who succeed in the world are the ones willing to do terrible things to accomplish their goals, while genuine heroes will be forgotten by history.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Looking for a cheap co-op FPS game for which it's easy to find other goons playing.

No microtransactions, ideally also no RPG mechanics (leveling and item gathering).

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Obvious answer is Left 4 Dead. Less obvious is Vermintide though that has items you can craft.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Left 4 Dead 2, that is. You can play the first game's campaigns in it, so there's basically no point to the original anymore.

Roshambo
Jan 18, 2010
I'm looking for a game similar to Legend of Mana for the original Playstation. The main appeal of the game, for me, was the 2d side scrolling combat with RPG mechanics. The world building, art style and story aren't my favorite parts of the game. The crafting, weapons/golems/instruments, and pet ranch parts of the game are probably too specific to that game for a recomendation, but I enjoyed them.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Roshambo posted:

I'm looking for a game similar to Legend of Mana for the original Playstation. The main appeal of the game, for me, was the 2d side scrolling combat with RPG mechanics. The world building, art style and story aren't my favorite parts of the game. The crafting, weapons/golems/instruments, and pet ranch parts of the game are probably too specific to that game for a recomendation, but I enjoyed them.

Any Tales game.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Thank you for your replies. Yeah, I already have L4D2 which is great but I can't find a thread for that on the forums. I suppose it's too old?

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Roshambo posted:

It's MMO-ish, but Dungeon Fighter Online might be worth a look. The 2.5D side scrolling combat is a lot like early beat 'em ups.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Sapato posted:

Dragon Quest V. Not constantly, but the game did some things story-wise that were unheard-of at the time. There's a really good DS remake of it.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Dear recommendation thread,

I have finally played through (most of) Dark Souls.

You were right. It's pretty good.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Stick Insect posted:

Thank you for your replies. Yeah, I already have L4D2 which is great but I can't find a thread for that on the forums. I suppose it's too old?

Unless loot system will literally kill you, vermintide really is amazing. L4D2 has been out a long long time at this point, there probably isn't much left to discuss.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Stick Insect posted:

Yeah Left4Dead2 is old and lame now. Payday2 is the same thing but better, same with Vermintide. Both are takes on co-op horde action with much more depth than L4D2.

Payday2 is a really good game and you'll find tons of goons go co-op it with. Same with Vermintide.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Really? When I checked yesterday, the Camping The Stairs channels for payday and vermintide were empty during primetime US.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Really? When I checked yesterday, the Camping The Stairs channels for payday and vermintide were empty during primetime US.

For Payday2 it helps to get in the Payday2 Goons Group (ask for an invite in the Payday2 thread) chat in Steam and see who is around that might want to shoot cops. Not a lot of folks hang out in LFG alone stove-touching until goons arrive.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Friend and I are looking for a game we can play multiplayer (together) online, would prefer something with progression and some RPG elements, something resembling a story, etc. We used to play WoW PVP together like a million years ago and then it started being bad. We don't want another MMO. Ideas?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Payday 2 is cool and all but it's not really anything like Left 4 Dead 2, other than the fact that it features four people with guns that shoot things. I haven't played Vermintide but frankly I'm a bit turned off by the Warhammer setting and the fact that its rats. I would say Left 4 Dead 2 is uniquely good and not at all lame.

black.lion posted:

Friend and I are looking for a game we can play multiplayer (together) online, would prefer something with progression and some RPG elements, something resembling a story, etc. We used to play WoW PVP together like a million years ago and then it started being bad. We don't want another MMO. Ideas?

The first thing that comes to mind here is Dying Light.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 7, 2015

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

black.lion posted:

Dungeon Siege III has two player co-op and an APRG-like loot system with a decent choice-based narrative campaign that can be completed in ~12 hours. It's cheap but pretty thoroughly mediocre. Diablo 3 on the other hand has a terrible story that everybody ignores but is probably the single most fun way to waste time in an ARPG setting with a friend blowing up monsters in an array of impressive ways.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

black.lion posted:

Maybe something like Divinity Original Sin? Is turn based okay or do you want action? Be a bit more specific.

As far as co-op RPGs go its mostly just gonna be MMORPGs yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Dying Light is a perfect idea except we've played it into the ground already; same with Diablo III; Divinity is something he wanted to try but I prefer more action, though honestly I may give it a go at this point. Is it pretty at least?

Really what I want is like, WoW open world PVP, but not WoW (and pref something that will flex my video card). Don't want something MOBA or CS:GO or similar "drop you into an arena, kill people, repeat" - an MMO would be fine if it wasn't super drat grindy, bonus points for no subscription. We used to love WoW PVP around Season, like, 2 or 3... have tried to find another MMO that hit that sweet spot but after idk a decade or however long ago I played WoW, we can't find anything.

We considered ARK but read about how you can't really build anything bc of alpha clans etc., bought Hurtworld and it was really fun once we found each other but every time we log off we're separated again so that's a bit of a drag. It doesn't need to be a hard RPG, I just prefer something with more depth than "how quick can you aim your crosshairs" and something where my progress doesn't drop back to zero after each map (MOBA). Also for reasons I won't go into, I hate games that are click-to-move.

Maybe that's too specific...