Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

black.lion posted:

Dying Light is a perfect idea except we've played it into the ground already; same with Diablo III; Divinity is something he wanted to try but I prefer more action, though honestly I may give it a go at this point. Is it pretty at least?

Really what I want is like, WoW open world PVP, but not WoW (and pref something that will flex my video card). Don't want something MOBA or CS:GO or similar "drop you into an arena, kill people, repeat" - an MMO would be fine if it wasn't super drat grindy, bonus points for no subscription. We used to love WoW PVP around Season, like, 2 or 3... have tried to find another MMO that hit that sweet spot but after idk a decade or however long ago I played WoW, we can't find anything.

We considered ARK but read about how you can't really build anything bc of alpha clans etc., bought Hurtworld and it was really fun once we found each other but every time we log off we're separated again so that's a bit of a drag. It doesn't need to be a hard RPG, I just prefer something with more depth than "how quick can you aim your crosshairs" and something where my progress doesn't drop back to zero after each map (MOBA). Also for reasons I won't go into, I hate games that are click-to-move.

Maybe that's too specific...

Secret World is pretty cheap and has no monthly fee. Its not the best MMO ever but its kinda original, works as a pretty decent co-op RPG with a decent story. Its not too grindy though, there's no 'levels' at all in the classic sense.

lots of MMOs are free to play now, SWTOR feels like a mix of WoW and KOTOR and is free to play. Has a good story and dialogue system like you're playing co-op KOTOR or Mass Effect.

Action RPGs that are multiplayer is pretty much just MMOs. There's a few exceptions here and there but if you want something you can have long-term progression on that's pretty much it.

ARK is okay but if you play PvE then it gets old and if you play PvP then you just get destroyed by bigger clans when you log off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

How's Wildstar doing? That was our last great PVP hope. May try SWTOR, thanks for the suggestions!

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Are there any sandbox survival games that have a similar level of completeness/polish as ARK, excluding ARK? A buddy and I have played ARK to death and are looking for a new game we can hop into now and then, kill stuff, build things, and then hop out for a day or two. Any co-op game could work really, but open world and sandbox over storyline driven games is preferable as we'll dick around in game without the other person pretty frequently, and we both like building things.

We played Reign of Kings previously but were annoyed with the small map and hideously large number of hacks. Zombies are a little boring at this point, otherwise I think 7 Days to Die would hold us over for awhile. Life is Feudal and Space Engineers seem not quite finished enough, but I honestly don't know much about them besides watching a few let's plays (which may be terribly out of date).

Any ideas?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

black.lion posted:

How's Wildstar doing? That was our last great PVP hope.

People liked it until the first raid which wasn't done so they made it insanely difficult and then everybody bailed.

Like stupid stupid supid hard, and when people actually started beating bosses, they made it harder.

So now its going free2play and the ship is sinking.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

black.lion posted:

Dying Light is a perfect idea except we've played it into the ground already; same with Diablo III; Divinity is something he wanted to try but I prefer more action, though honestly I may give it a go at this point. Is it pretty at least?

Really what I want is like, WoW open world PVP, but not WoW (and pref something that will flex my video card). Don't want something MOBA or CS:GO or similar "drop you into an arena, kill people, repeat" - an MMO would be fine if it wasn't super drat grindy, bonus points for no subscription. We used to love WoW PVP around Season, like, 2 or 3... have tried to find another MMO that hit that sweet spot but after idk a decade or however long ago I played WoW, we can't find anything.

We considered ARK but read about how you can't really build anything bc of alpha clans etc., bought Hurtworld and it was really fun once we found each other but every time we log off we're separated again so that's a bit of a drag. It doesn't need to be a hard RPG, I just prefer something with more depth than "how quick can you aim your crosshairs" and something where my progress doesn't drop back to zero after each map (MOBA). Also for reasons I won't go into, I hate games that are click-to-move.

Maybe that's too specific...

Maybe something like Rust or 7 Days to Die? There are a lot of survival like games out there with large worlds and persistent servers. Also, you might want to give ARK another look. Last time I played there were a number of active goon clans, including some groups who made a business out of going to established servers and knocking alpha clans off of their high horse. My only problem with ARK is the time commitment involved. I just don't have the long runs of spare time required to tame a lot of the dinosaurs.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Have any couch coop (at least three player) games come out lately worth playing? I need something for me and the sisterwives to play, preferably on a long-term basis. We finally think we've hit the "end" of Diablo 3 as far as equipment grinding goes. Our tastes run toward the rpgish, but then again we put in hours and hours on Blops zombie mode. So pretty much any genre, any system, as long as three people can play it together on the same tv/monitor for more than a few hours.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Danger Mahoney posted:

Have any couch coop (at least three player) games come out lately worth playing? I need something for me and the sisterwives to play, preferably on a long-term basis. We finally think we've hit the "end" of Diablo 3 as far as equipment grinding goes. Our tastes run toward the rpgish, but then again we put in hours and hours on Blops zombie mode. So pretty much any genre, any system, as long as three people can play it together on the same tv/monitor for more than a few hours.

Rayman Legends is great fun on any platform (best on WiiU if you have one though). I think Borderlands 2 has split-screen co-op too?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Danger Mahoney posted:

The Tales series of RPGs has couch-co-op combat and a good story. I'm fond of Tales of Vesperia.

Borderlands 1 is heads and shoulders more fun than 2, but I don't remember how many people can play it.

Castle Crashers is pretty darn fun.

Maybe Trine, although again I don't remember how many players it supports.

Check to see if there's a version of Gauntlet for your preferred system; I vaguely remember seeing one available via Xbox live.

If you're willing to go old school PS2 has a Baldur's gate game with couch co-op (and a sequel and an Everest clone in the same style) that were all pretty fun. Graphics around going to be seriously dated though.

There are frustratingly few couch co-op games these days; good luck.

Wife and me have set up computers on the same table so we can play PC co-op games like Don't Starve and Neverwinter Nights side by side.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 8, 2015

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

black.lion posted:

Friend and I are looking for a game we can play multiplayer (together) online, would prefer something with progression and some RPG elements, something resembling a story, etc. We used to play WoW PVP together like a million years ago and then it started being bad. We don't want another MMO. Ideas?

It might seem a bit out there but you should look into ArmA 3 - specifically online servers and mods. ArmA 2 is where DayZ started and there are a lot of similar concept mods for 3 - and its not all zombie survival stuff either. ArmA sandbox mods are probably the closest thing you'll get to WoW open world PvP outside of an MMO.

If you want co-op RPG stuff, Torchlight 2 is worth checking out.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 8, 2015

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

black.lion posted:

Friend and I are looking for a game we can play multiplayer (together) online, would prefer something with progression and some RPG elements, something resembling a story, etc. We used to play WoW PVP together like a million years ago and then it started being bad. We don't want another MMO. Ideas?

Guild wars 2 is free and not totally poo poo, and has alot of pvp focus, both as a openworld style war and structured normalized matches.

Also Destiny has gotten alot less grundy and alot more fun, but it's still AAA price.

Borderlands series is good co op fun as well.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Did Destiny get better? We played together a lot when it first came out but neither of us have bought the expansions because it deflated into repetition and grind so quickly.

What are the latest Borderlands games? Think the last I played was 2

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Danger Mahoney posted:

I picked up Helldivers on pc a couple of days ago and the two friends I've been playing it with and I have been having an absolute blast, and I think being face to face could only make it more fun

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

black.lion posted:

Did Destiny get better? We played together a lot when it first came out but neither of us have bought the expansions because it deflated into repetition and grind so quickly.

I think it has, but the expansions are so expensive that they're slightly ridiculous. If you can pick up the full version cheaply, I'd say grab it because it's still (bizarrely) the most fun console fps out there. I still find myself going back to it thinking "the grind is getting silly but.... i could play some crucible... and then a strike or two... and then maybe jump in a raid..." and suddenly I'm thinking there's only a couple of hundred rep points to grind out and the night is still young...

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Hi! I'm looking for some cool, preferably oldschool platformers. 2D, 3D, Action, Metroidvanias, whatever. Basically I just want good controls, and not-poo poo camera. Obviously I've heard of Marios, Mega Mans, Castlevanias and other big games.
Also a specific request for Metroidvanias. Do any other games capture that Metroid and Castlevania feel? I feel like most games of the genre (Ori, Guacamelee, Cave Story) have basically no exploration and just require you to backtrack for a power-up sometimes, or straight-up point you to where you need to go.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Vookatos posted:

Hi! I'm looking for some cool, preferably oldschool platformers. 2D, 3D, Action, Metroidvanias, whatever. Basically I just want good controls, and not-poo poo camera. Obviously I've heard of Marios, Mega Mans, Castlevanias and other big games.
Also a specific request for Metroidvanias. Do any other games capture that Metroid and Castlevania feel? I feel like most games of the genre (Ori, Guacamelee, Cave Story) have basically no exploration and just require you to backtrack for a power-up sometimes, or straight-up point you to where you need to go.
There's Shadow Complex that's free right now on PC, but that might fall too much into the category of Metroidvanias that you don't like

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Have you tried Axiom Verge?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Vookatos posted:

Have you tried Rogue Legacy?

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
My friend has really been getting into the Tomb Kings in Warhammer Fantasy, and was wondering if there were any games where you could play as a necromancer, preferably an RPG, but he's open to any genre. He's played Diablo 2 to death, and didn't like Torchlight 2 at all. Not sure what his stance on mods are but I'm sure any suggestions wouldn't hurt.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Probottt posted:

My friend has really been getting into the Tomb Kings in Warhammer Fantasy, and was wondering if there were any games where you could play as a necromancer, preferably an RPG, but he's open to any genre. He's played Diablo 2 to death, and didn't like Torchlight 2 at all. Not sure what his stance on mods are but I'm sure any suggestions wouldn't hurt.

Mount & Blade: Warband with one of the following two mods.
Warhammer Phantasy, which includes D&D stuff and has the ability to be a necromancer of some sort.
Warsword: Conquest. Which is an actual Warhamer Fantasy mod that let's you play as the Tomb Kings. Be warned that it's mostly a reskin and a lot of the actual Warhammer mechanics aren't in, but it's still fun just for how wacky it is (Looking at you, dinosaur riding dino-men)

Also there's always mods for D2. Eastern Sun will let you play as a necro and opens up options for all the characters. Whether this makes them all feel the same or not is up to you.

Buried alive fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 11, 2015

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Buried alive posted:

Mount & Blade: Warband with one of the following two mods.
Warhammer Phantasy, which includes D&D stuff and has the ability to be a necromancer of some sort.
Warsword: Conquest. Which is an actual Warhamer Fantasy mod that let's you play as the Tomb Kings. Be warned that it's mostly a reskin and a lot of the actual Warhammer mechanics aren't in, but it's still fun just for how wacky it is (Looking at you, dinosaur riding dino-men)

Also there's always mods for D2. Eastern Sun will let you play as a necro and opens up options for all the characters. Whether this makes them all feel the same or not is up to you.

Yeah, he's playing Warsword Conquest and really seems to be liking it. He also expressed some interest in Warhammer Phantasy, but I can't seem to find it on Google.
Thanks for the suggestions! Any more recommendations would be welcome.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Probottt posted:

Yeah, he's playing Warsword Conquest and really seems to be liking it. He also expressed some interest in Warhammer Phantasy, but I can't seem to find it on Google.
Thanks for the suggestions! Any more recommendations would be welcome.

Path of Exile has undead summoning, though not as awesome as Diablo 2 but that is truly peak necro.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

So here's a fun request! I'm learning German lately and I've decided to play games in the language as a form of immersion learning to supplement my studies. I was thinking I'd play through a game in German and translate as I go!

So there's a few factors to keep in mind here! One, I think it'd be better if it was a game I wasn't already hugely familiar with, otherwise I wouldn't be translating anything, just remembering the dialogue from my playthrough of the game. Secondly, it needs to be slow moving enough that I can stop and read through things and spend time translating them and the game won't go ahead without me, so something more slowly paced would be ideal. Thirdly, since I'm only just really starting to learn I'd prefer something with less complex language. I'm practicing every day but I'm not at the stage where I can translate Lovecraft or anything just yet. Natural dialogue/writing would be perfect.

Finally the translation needs to be competent of course. Special bonus if it has voice acting so I lean pronunciations too!

I'll generally play pretty much anything as long as its fun but I really enjoy puzzle games and RPGs. As long as it fits into the criteria above, anything should do but the only stipulation here is please no player characters with guns. Beyond that, go wild!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Probottt posted:

Age of Wonders 3 is a bit HoMM-like and playing as a necromancer is extremely good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Faerie Fortune posted:

So here's a fun request! I'm learning German lately and I've decided to play games in the language as a form of immersion learning to supplement my studies. I was thinking I'd play through a game in German and translate as I go!

So there's a few factors to keep in mind here! One, I think it'd be better if it was a game I wasn't already hugely familiar with, otherwise I wouldn't be translating anything, just remembering the dialogue from my playthrough of the game. Secondly, it needs to be slow moving enough that I can stop and read through things and spend time translating them and the game won't go ahead without me, so something more slowly paced would be ideal. Thirdly, since I'm only just really starting to learn I'd prefer something with less complex language. I'm practicing every day but I'm not at the stage where I can translate Lovecraft or anything just yet. Natural dialogue/writing would be perfect.

Finally the translation needs to be competent of course. Special bonus if it has voice acting so I lean pronunciations too!

I'll generally play pretty much anything as long as its fun but I really enjoy puzzle games and RPGs. As long as it fits into the criteria above, anything should do but the only stipulation here is please no player characters with guns. Beyond that, go wild!

If you want to work on your vocabulary, get a German copy of Super Scribblenauts or Scribblenauts Unlimited.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Here's an odd one for ya'll
I like to play game while I listen to podcasts or watch TV or whatever

Some games I've used for this include: Bejeweled, Civ 5, Torchlight 2 and New vegas

It has to be something that doesn't require too much attention, stuff like Sim City or whatever would probably be pretty fitting but I dunno.
If its dialogue or atmosphere heavy it won't work either because I'll feel like I'm missing out or something (new vegas is an exception because I've beaten it several times).

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you want to work on your vocabulary, get a German copy of Super Scribblenauts or Scribblenauts Unlimited.

This is a really good idea and I already own Super Scribblenauts on steam but never beat it so its perfect, thank you!

Ahundredbux posted:

How about Settlers 2? The original game came out sometime in the 90s so if the old graphics bother you there's the 10th aniversary edition as well which has updated graphics, mechanics and soundtrack but its a real fun game to play and a real fun game to chill out to as you watch your little mans running around hauling supplies and hunting. You can micromanage if you want but its not necessary at all and you can easily just respond to stuff as you need to and just idle the rest of the time

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
If you want some stuff in the vein of Bejeweled, Gyromancer and Might & Magic Clash of Heroes are both pretty fun thing-matchers. The former is like Bejeweled Twist but with monster fights, the latter is like... AstroPop I guess?

Binding of Isaac and Spelunky and such are good for podcasts too, though they require a bit too much visual attention for you to be able to watch TV.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Not a great fan of BoI but Gyromancer looks extremely like my poo poo, Settlers 2 also, thanks to the both of you :)

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
Every Point-and-Click-Adventure where text doesn't auto-advance i guess? Deponia (which a lot of people here hate) has a demo, was made by a German company and you should be able to get it in like every sale. I think i paid less than 10€ for all three parts.
Can't tell you how good the German sync is though, i played it in English because Germans can't sound natural/good in video games, we have a law forbidding it.

Just a suggestion, every other Point-and-Click should fit too.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Ahundredbux posted:

Some games I've used for this include: Bejeweled, Civ 5, Torchlight 2 and New vegas

It has to be something that doesn't require too much attention, stuff like Sim City or whatever would probably be pretty fitting but I dunno.
If its dialogue or atmosphere heavy it won't work either because I'll feel like I'm missing out or something (new vegas is an exception because I've beaten it several times).

Cities: Skylines is the Sim City flavor du jour, it's both a fantastic city builder and great for listening to podcasts.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Cities: Skylines is the Sim City flavor du jour, it's both a fantastic city builder and great for listening to podcasts.

It's a good suggestion but I've found C:S to be lacking in the simulation department which just leads me to grow tired of it after establishing the basics and basically entering sandbox mode.

I did discover Banished though...

Ahundredbux fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Dec 12, 2015

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Vookatos posted:

You might try Abyss Odyssey. It's PC, but you'll want a controller to play it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Is there anything like Chivaly: Medieval Warfare but with more story/RPG elements? I have 746 hours logged in Chiv and I keep thinking it would be great if there was a game with similar combat mechanics but with an actual story, items and improvable stats.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Phlegmish posted:

Is there anything like Chivaly: Medieval Warfare but with more story/RPG elements? I have 746 hours logged in Chiv and I keep thinking it would be great if there was a game with similar combat mechanics but with an actual story, items and improvable stats.
Nothing really modern comes to mind, but before Chivalry the top dog in 1st person melee combat was probably Dark Messiah of Might & Magic. It has been brought up many times in this thread iirc, but it bears repeating because it's a really, really good game. First person action adventure with pretty decent, simple character progression that lets you go magic, stealth or strength or a combination of those.

If you're looking specifically for multiplayer games, then I got nothing.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Thanks. No, it doesn't have to be multiplayer.

I've heard about Messiah of Might and Magic, but I was under the impression that all of the games were fairly old by now. When I look at Dark Messiah on Steam it has really good user ratings but a poor Metacritic score, so I'm not sure what to think.

I'm open for third-person stuff in the vein of Divinity II: Dragon Knight Saga and the Witcher II as well.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Have you tried Mount and Blade Warband? It's more of a sandbox game but there's some skill progression and story elements depending on what you want to do.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

bitcoin savant posted:

Have you tried Mount and Blade Warband? It's more of a sandbox game but there's some skill progression and story elements depending on what you want to do.

This is a good suggestion, also there are a ton of good mods out for M&B and you can usually get it pretty inexpensively if you wait for a sale.

Edit: Also look into Vermintide. It is multiplayer coop (think Left 4 Dead) but with melee combat.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Phlegmish posted:

I've heard about Messiah of Might and Magic, but I was under the impression that all of the games were fairly old by now. When I look at Dark Messiah on Steam it has really good user ratings but a poor Metacritic score, so I'm not sure what to think.
Yeah Dark Messiah is... wow, it's 9 years old already? Where the gently caress has all this time gone? :psyduck:
Anyways, yeah it's old but it's aged pretty well I think. It uses the Source engine as well and doesn't look terribly much worse than Chivalry. And the gameplay is rock solid; the combat is really fun and it has good map design, with lots of little nooks and crannies to explore for goodies but still compact enough. The movement has a nice physical feel to it since your whole body is visible in first person.

As far as I know the Goon Consensus (tm) of the game is very positive, if that means anything.

Hope you're not aracnophobic though...

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I played M&M Dark messiah recently and it uses an old version of the source engine so the lighting and shaders are kinda dated and the textures are not that great either.
The combat also did not feel as great as I remembered it, check out a video or demo or something before you buy it imo.

Mount & Blade is a great suggestion IF you're willing to make your own story since it's more of a sandbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Vookatos posted:

Aquaria and La-Mulana. Both are almost 10 years old at this point, but I can't think of anything more recent that has the "minimal direction, explore and find things to do on your own" philosophy.

Accordion Man posted:

There's Shadow Complex that's free right now on PC, but that might fall too much into the category of Metroidvanias that you don't like

Shadow Complex literally draws a line on the map telling you where to go.