Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Sci-fi weekend. By which I mean I watched blade runner, went to the gym for cardio cinema and they had the new Total Recall playing. Also i've been playing Sega Genesis Shadowrun for the past week or so (Just a half hour to an hour each night, slowly working my way through the game to buy a Fairlight Excalibur deck).

Why hasn't anyone made an open-world cyberpunkish dystopian style game? Or have they and I don't remember it? Deus Ex is the closest I can think of, and that's nowhere near open enough for my tastes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Well there's Cyberpunk 2077 coming out in 201X by the creators of the Witcher 3 and it's probably one of the most anticipated games on the horizon.

Recently you've had Satellite Reign, a Syndicate-style game in an open world. Nice visuals but I didn't really connect to the gameplay and refunded it. There's also the Shadowrun series but those are more tactical CRPGs. Remember Me has a really cool dystopian setting and an interesting gimmick but the combat itself is not that great.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

StoryTime posted:

Darksiders is 80% off at Steam right now. Imagine if God of War had 90% less QTEs and a Zelda style overworld + dungeons structure.

Its a lot more like Zelda than like GoW in every way except theme so I'm gonna counter with a big "don't bother".

Alris posted:

Here's my current Steam Wishlist. What on here should be moved to my shopping cart, and what should be deleted for all eternity?

Superhot just buy it, set a timer, and 110 minutes in decide if you are done or not. It's super fun and if you enjoy replays/time attacks you'll get even more out of it.

DOOM is great new and probably won't get cheaper for a while after this sale.

Twilight Struggle I don't know poo poo about the Steam port. Someone tell me more and if you buy it'll buy it and we can play together.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 27, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Open world is expensive enough that you need a million seller to bother. If The Witcher 3 is any indication then CDP's Cyberpunk will be the cyberpunk game to end all cyberpunk games when it comes out in 2020.

I'm still enjoying Satellite Reign even though the game's difficulty ramps up ridiculously near the end. It's not traditionally open world but it's basically a massive mixture of the Commandos games with Syndicate Wars and I enjoy exploring all the technology they offer like mind controlling literally everyone, mini-nuke grenades, drone controls, and stealth field generators. Basically all the flair of Ghost in the Shell in a top down strategy game. Been meaning to check out Dex (which is on sale for a good price) and Underrail. I'm hopeful that Consortium's sequel will channel the Die Hard Deus Ex mix they're going for.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The Arkham series.

exquisite tea posted:

If you liked Bayonetta then you'll also probably like MGR: Revengeance...On the RPG side, Shadow of Mordor

John Murdoch posted:

I'm surprised nobody mentioned that Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition is on Steam, as is DMC.

gohuskies posted:

Shadows of Mordor and Batman Arkham Asylum and City are all excellent third person action, I'd highly recommend all three.

Thanks for all the recommendations, looks like there is gonna be some Batman in my future. Should've mentioned I've not actually played DMC/Bayonetta/GoW as I don't have a console, but I mentioned them because they're the kind of games that make me want to buy one (and Bloodborne, obviously).

I really should go back and finish Shadow of Mordor. The combat was great and the nemesis system was great, shame it was hard to give a drat about the story. Also, did everyone make fun of the name 'Revengeance' when it came out?

Fat Samurai posted:

Right up to the first boss. Then you get the tone of the game and Revengeance fits perfectly.

This answer has me intrigued, especially if it also has fun combat!

hampig fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jun 28, 2016

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Right up to the first boss. Then you get the tone of the game and Revengeance fits perfectly.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Can anyone recommend me a game that has a heavy focus on squad/roster management?

Anything that involves hiring, training, developing characters and fitting them into a team. Preferably they would be actual individuals with traits, stats etc rather than "Scientist 1". Genre is no issue, PC only.

Examples I have already played and enjoyed:

Football Manager
X-Com
Rimworld (sort of)
Battle Brothers (have it but haven't played much yet)

I tend to prefer more sim/stats based stuff instead of story/rpg, so stuff like Wasteland, JA2 wouldnt be what I'm after. And for whatever reason I didnt like Deadnauts.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Game Dev Tycoon is all about putting together teams of people of different talents, and additionally training them for bigger and better roles, under the guise of building up a game studio. Entirely stats based, close to zero story.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Lemon posted:

Can anyone recommend me a game that has a heavy focus on squad/roster management?
Have you played the UFO: After*** games? They're basically a slightly different take on the XCOM formula. Personally I'd recommend the middle one, Aftershock, as I quite enjoyed the way your soldiers develop in the game. There are different class trainings your soldiers can go through if they meet the stat requirements, and they're not limited to just one per soldier, so you can have rocketeer-medics or ranger-scouts, etc. The training takes time too, so you'll want to manage your lineup so you don't have all your top dudes in training when something bad comes up. And of course there's all the equipment fiddling on top of that.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Lemon posted:

Templar Battleforce
Warhammer 40k: Chaos Gate.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Lemon posted:

Anything that involves hiring, training, developing characters and fitting them into a team. Preferably they would be actual individuals with traits, stats etc rather than "Scientist 1". Genre is no issue, PC only.

Football Manager
X-Com
Rimworld (sort of)

I tend to prefer more sim/stats based stuff instead of story/rpg, so stuff like Wasteland, JA2 wouldnt be what I'm after. And for whatever reason I didnt like Deadnauts.
Jagged Alliance 2 is exactly what you want. It's still probably the best squad-based tactics game ever made and every character is unique, has loads of interactions with others and can be levelled up and customised to your liking (including a totally custom main character).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jagged Alliance shares a lot of DNA with XCOM and its story begins and ends with "A dictator took over this place, kill them."

Also if you like XCOM for the management aspect then check out Xenonauts which is straight up classic XCOM where you're more of an administrator than a commander, hiring staff, building bases, and managing inventory. It even lets you play out interceptor battles.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried Xenonauts but found it a bit impenetrable, I will give it another go. That Templars one looks interesting. Is Game Dev Tycoon significantly more complex than Game Dev Story?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Coming from the new XCOM it is a giant wall, and it's probably meant to be played twice as you can lose the game in XCOM fashion. But if what you want is a management sim then it's the best management simulator of running a shadow ops organization during an alien invasion.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Angry Lobster posted:

Warhammer 40k: Chaos Gate.

Used to love this one in the 90's

khy
Aug 15, 2005

So here's a slightly different question. Not really recommending a game per se, more of recommending how to get a game. I couldn't find a more appropriate thread, but if anyone can recommend a better thread to ask this in I'll gladly head over there.

Last week my Nephew turned 10; I gave him a Nintendo DS for his birthday. He LOVES pokemon and I wanted to get him several GBA carts since his grandparents (My folks) were getting him some DS pokemon games and I was hoping to pick up a few relatively cheap since I already spent the $$$ on the DS.

The problem is it seems like many GBA pokemon carts are suspect. A lot of the 'used' ones on ebay are chinese knockoffs and it's hard to tell from a couple of smallish photos the authenticity of the cart. Can anyone recommend a good place to get some of the authentic GBA pokemon carts? Specifically I'm looking for ruby/sapphire carts.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lemon posted:

Football Manager
X-Com
Rimworld (sort of)

Blood Bowl is worth looking at - think Football Manager combined with Warhammer Fantasy. It's much more RPG than sim-ish (being a fairly close adaptation of a board game), but team development and management is one of the core features.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

khy posted:

So here's a slightly different question. Not really recommending a game per se, more of recommending how to get a game. I couldn't find a more appropriate thread, but if anyone can recommend a better thread to ask this in I'll gladly head over there.

Last week my Nephew turned 10; I gave him a Nintendo DS for his birthday. He LOVES pokemon and I wanted to get him several GBA carts since his grandparents (My folks) were getting him some DS pokemon games and I was hoping to pick up a few relatively cheap since I already spent the $$$ on the DS.

The problem is it seems like many GBA pokemon carts are suspect. A lot of the 'used' ones on ebay are chinese knockoffs and it's hard to tell from a couple of smallish photos the authenticity of the cart. Can anyone recommend a good place to get some of the authentic GBA pokemon carts? Specifically I'm looking for ruby/sapphire carts.

Ask in the retro games thread since this is some of the bullshit facing people who collect old games.

I'd say your best option is Gamestop's online store as they're selling older games and those come with the guarantee that if they don't work you'll at least get your money back. Ruby is currently $18 which is about the average price for a gamble on eBay. If you do want to take the eBay route then your safest bet is to purchase from anyone who has an open return policy.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 28, 2016

khy
Aug 15, 2005

al-azad posted:

Ask in the retro games thread since this is some of the bullshit facing people who collect old games.

I'd say your best option is Gamestop's online store as they're selling older games and those come with the guarantee that if they don't work you'll at least get your money back. Ruby is currently $18 which is about the average price for a gamble on eBay. If you do want to take the eBay route then your safest bet is to purchase from anyone who has an open return policy.

That is very good advice. I'll ask over there but keep the gamestop online store option in mind. I appreciate your assistance!

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note that Gamestop is absolutely not immune to selling fakes, and there are many documented times where the new Retro Gamestop has sold very obvious fakes or just plain non-functioning games to people.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Anyone here know of any games like Euro Truck Simulator but medieval? Medieval merchant games always tend to put you in an omnipotent RTS style view. Is ships the best I can get?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Note that Gamestop is absolutely not immune to selling fakes, and there are many documented times where the new Retro Gamestop has sold very obvious fakes or just plain non-functioning games to people.

Yes but you can return/exchange any pre-owned item. Either that or eBay stores with return policies are the safest ways to get legit GBA games.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Anyone know of games similar to Black and White 1/2?

E: Preferably for stuff similar to its skirmish mode.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Lemon posted:

Football Manager
X-Com
Rimworld (sort of)

Software Inc. is a good one.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
I've asked this in this thread before but since it's been awhile and the Steam Summer Sale is going on, I figure now wouldn't be a bad time to ask again.
I'm looking for a game where you play the underdog in a conflict, something where you have to be kind of scrappy to win, and really have to pick your fights. Freedom Fighters is my go-to for this, where you played a small guerrilla force that had to overcome a gigantic army occupying New York. The Mombasa Streets section of Halo 3: ODST did this as well to some extent. More recently, I loved Homeworld: Remastered, specifically how resources were extremely limited and you were encouraged to steal enemy ships in order to win battles. I have also played and loved the Dark Souls trilogy and have recently picked up Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak, but any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Probottt posted:

I'm looking for a game where you play the underdog in a conflict, something where you have to be kind of scrappy to win, and really have to pick your fights.

xcom2

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

If you don't mind roguelikes, Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead has been my recent addiction and it's about as underdog as you can get. You spawn in an empty evac shelter with nothing but what you have on your body, make weapons out of whatever you can build out of benches and metal lockers, and then enter a city that has been completely overrun by zombies until you can scavenge enough supplies and tools to set up a base. Picking your fights is mandatory, because if you get even two zombies on you in the early game, it could end up killing you.

Most of your other games are FPS or action, but if you don't mind such a big shift in genre, it's worth a shot!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Probottt posted:

I've asked this in this thread before but since it's been awhile and the Steam Summer Sale is going on, I figure now wouldn't be a bad time to ask again.
I'm looking for a game where you play the underdog in a conflict, something where you have to be kind of scrappy to win, and really have to pick your fights. Freedom Fighters is my go-to for this, where you played a small guerrilla force that had to overcome a gigantic army occupying New York. The Mombasa Streets section of Halo 3: ODST did this as well to some extent. More recently, I loved Homeworld: Remastered, specifically how resources were extremely limited and you were encouraged to steal enemy ships in order to win battles. I have also played and loved the Dark Souls trilogy and have recently picked up Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak, but any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Satellite Reign has you play four commandos severely outnumbered by infinitely spawning enemies. You have to play like a guerrilla force, constantly moving and blowing poo poo up and mind controlling dudes because it's easy to get overwhelmed and pinned down then you die.

And I guess by design the Commandos games do the same thing. A handful of extremely vulnerable but flexible heroes fighting an entire army of nazis.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
I can't believe that I completely forgot that XCOM 2 fits what I was looking for almost verbatim. It's a little expensive for my tastes at the moment, but I will keep an eye on it. I will also take a look at Satellite Reign, Commandos, and Cataclysm as per the other suggestions - thanks!

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
Who wants to help me help a friend with some game recommendations?

My friend is in education. She is looking for free or low cost games that could be used for education (not necessarily intended for education.) Specifically for liberal arts: either arts (music, visual art theater, dance) or humanities/social sciences (economics, geography, sociology, history, communications, etc.) This would be for college aged students.

I know it's a weird request, but if you have any good ideas please let me know. I'd like to give her some ideas in time to take advantage of the Steam sale.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

doctorfrog posted:

Play any sports management sims? I assume so. There's a big soccer/football one, and a baseball one. Sorry, the only business sims I've been able to get into are X3, and Dope Wars.

Sorry, not much for sports. Still thank you!

grate deceiver posted:

Have you tried Offworld Trading Company?

No but looks very interesting. For some reason the first time I glanced over it somehow got stuck into my mind that it's an RTS.

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

If you don't mind roguelikes, Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead

I didn't even come into the thread for this and that answer wasn't even directed at me but that looks like a very cool game. Thanks!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lonjon posted:

Who wants to help me help a friend with some game recommendations?

My friend is in education. She is looking for free or low cost games that could be used for education (not necessarily intended for education.) Specifically for liberal arts: either arts (music, visual art theater, dance) or humanities/social sciences (economics, geography, sociology, history, communications, etc.) This would be for college aged students.

I know it's a weird request, but if you have any good ideas please let me know. I'd like to give her some ideas in time to take advantage of the Steam sale.

Not sure if this is exactly what you're after, but how about Never Alone (a puzzle platformer about / by native Alaskan people, with lots of educational clips) or Papers Please (an immigration paperwork simulator set in Eastern Europe)? They're both $5 currently.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I finally tried out a Pokemon game (X) because the series is a pop culture touchstone. I found it extremely easy and shallow, but the concept is kind of interesting. Is there an adult version of this game? Team building and training, turn based combat. Not SMT plz

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Probottt posted:

I can't believe that I completely forgot that XCOM 2 fits what I was looking for almost verbatim. It's a little expensive for my tastes at the moment, but I will keep an eye on it. I will also take a look at Satellite Reign, Commandos, and Cataclysm as per the other suggestions - thanks!

Take a look at AI War: Fleet Command.

RTS on a big scale, alien menace has taken over the universe and you start with a single planet and a handful of starships. The pitch is that we're in the rear end end of nowhere, and the aliens are busy with some menace in the other side of the universe. They will send some ships your way, but most of the time will leave you alone, right until you start taking planets back. You objetive is to find the two wormholes the aliens are using to jump into our galaxy and destroy their stations, but along the way you'll capture alien research stations, build infrastructure, etc...of course, as you become a bigger and bigger annoyance the aliens will divert more resources to destroy you.

That means that there are some interesting decisions on where to expand, what to destroy and what to bypass. If you can fortify a bottleneck and isolate 2-3 troop production centres, that's way better than destroying them, because it pisses the AI way less.

There is a lot of optional content, and you can tinker with basically everything in the game, from what ships the AI uses to whether or not the AI gets more powerful over time.

$3 on Steam, all 6 expansions included

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Police Automaton posted:

No but looks very interesting. For some reason the first time I glanced over it somehow got stuck into my mind that it's an RTS.

It kinda sorta is, except you defeat enemies by controlling the flow of resources and buying out their companies, and there are 'battlefield' abilities centered around influencing the stockmarket. You could say it's an RTS but fought with money instead of guns. I've only tried it for a short while, but it looked pretty neat.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Danger Mahoney posted:

I finally tried out a Pokemon game (X) because the series is a pop culture touchstone. I found it extremely easy and shallow, but the concept is kind of interesting. Is there an adult version of this game? Team building and training, turn based combat. Not SMT plz

Look into competitive battling. You use the term 'shallow', but the Pokemon competitive metagame is a vast and terrifying entity.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Danger Mahoney posted:

Try Pokemon Platinum. It's still a kids game, but it's actually somewhat challenging.

If you're emulating you could try either Black or White 2. It has a hard mode, but it had a really dumb unlock condition that your not going to meet nowadays short of a patch.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

I have a PlayStation 4. For work I will be heading outside of stable internet (5GB of monthly internet bandwidth via satellite) connection. It's easier for me to lug out my PS4 there and hook it up rather than a TV. I'll be honest, I bought my PS4 basically for Destiny after trying to demo on my girlfriend's PS4 and I really dug it. Aside from that I haven't touched it much. Being as that Destiny won't work with the lovely internet I'm looking for some solid offline single-player games.

So far I plan to buy and play NHL 16 (I enjoyed NHL 14 a lot but read about how poo poo NHL 15 was so never even bothered), I got the Uncharted Collection with my PS4.

I do have a gaming PC so games that are on PC and PS4 I'll honestly want to get for PC eventually (so Dark Souls III, MGS:V probably).

Games I play and like: Batman games (including Arkham Knight which ran fine on my PC and I think I'm the only one), Skyrim (with a shitload of mods), Assassin's Creed Games, Mad Max, Shadow of Mordor, Mass Effect, Tomb Raider (Rise of the Tomb Raider, also). I should also point out I'm looking for things that may not be top of the line. I dropped 23 hours into TMNT: Out of the Shadows and had a good time with it, as well as Amazing Spider-Man 2.

I enjoy 3rd person adventure games, 3rd person combat games if the combat is good (aka. like Batman), as well as RPGs but not a fan of jRPGs since FFVI or Chrono Trigger unless you can convince me otherwise. I also like FPS and had a great time with Halo 1-3 and Reach on my Xbox. I might try Killzone Shadowfall.

Honestly I don't know much about the PlayStation library as I spent most of my time on my 360 last generation so throw some recommendations my way.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Bloodborne

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Galick posted:

Bloodborne

This.