Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking for a PS3/ps4 game for my younger brother. He's a big Star Wars fan and I was thinking he'd like one of the Lego Star Wars games. However, his favourite thing to do in Lego games is just mess around in the open world sandbox. If the sandbox is too small/non existent the appeal of the game dies. With that in mind, Is the new Lego force awakens my best bet or would I be better off getting Lego Star Wars the complete saga?

Additionally, if anyone has any suggestions of good games suitable for ages 7+ I'd love to hear them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

HairyManling posted:

Is there anything like Baldur's Gate II on 3DS or DS? I'm looking for something to scratch the handheld rpg itch. I've already been through most of the Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy games as well as many of the Tactics games (FF, Onimusha etc). I'm really looking for something like Baldur's - party of four or so, pausible or turn based combat, preferably fantasy but sci fi would be ok too.

The Etrian Oddysey games are entirely turn-based dungeon crawlers with a party of (up to) five. Xenoblade Chronicles (only on NEW 3DS) is an epic RPG with a party of three at a time and real-time battles. Those are the closest I can think of.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Nyeehg posted:

I'm looking for a PS3/ps4 game for my younger brother. He's a big Star Wars fan and I was thinking he'd like one of the Lego Star Wars games. However, his favourite thing to do in Lego games is just mess around in the open world sandbox. If the sandbox is too small/non existent the appeal of the game dies. With that in mind, Is the new Lego force awakens my best bet or would I be better off getting Lego Star Wars the complete saga?

Additionally, if anyone has any suggestions of good games suitable for ages 7+ I'd love to hear them.
Lego Force Awakens is really good, get it.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

pun pundit posted:

The Etrian Oddysey games
Somehow I had completely overlooked this series. Thanks pun pundit!

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

HairyManling posted:

Somehow I had completely overlooked this series. Thanks pun pundit!

They're really good, and I think EO4 is still $10 on the eshop

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Nyeehg posted:

The Complete Saga is the combined form of two of their earliest games before they started doing open world stuff at all, so that's definitely not the way to go.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Bought Bad Company 2 and Vietnam.

I'm baffled. Everyone is terrible, and every server puts me and everyone else at 100+ ping at least.

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 7, 2016

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Linnaeus posted:

They're really good, and I think EO4 is still $10 on the eshop
Currently playing this and yeah it's still $10. Thanks for the recommendation pun and Linnaeus.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

My god, are there any good roguelikes for Android?! I just spend the last half hour combing through the store and most of them look like garbage, and the few that I tried that looked interesting or competently designed were also garbage.

e: looks like the last page had a few recommendations. I'm reluctant to drop cash on mobile games but maybe I'll try Sproggiwood. Of course, any other recommendations are welcome.

kalel fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 8, 2016

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

SciFiDownBeat posted:

e: looks like the last page had a few recommendations. I'm reluctant to drop cash on mobile games but maybe I'll try Sproggiwood. Of course, any other recommendations are welcome.

It's good, could've used more variety/content. I wouldn't buy it for full price on Steam but apparently it's like 5 bucks on mobile which seems about right, I paid 6 for it on PC and didn't feel ripped off or anything.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SciFiDownBeat posted:

My god, are there any good roguelikes for Android?! I just spend the last half hour combing through the store and most of them look like garbage, and the few that I tried that looked interesting or competently designed were also garbage.

I think Powder is on Android but it looks like you have to custom install it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Hoplite, Cardinal Quest, a clunky port of DCSS, and yes: Sproggiwood. I don't know of any others yet.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've asked this before but... is there any modern game out there that captures the same feel of Skyroads? Chill synthy music, beautiful sci-fi backdrops, maybe some light platforming but nothing too involved? When is somebody going to kickstart Skyroads 2. :(

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
This is kind of a weirdly specific request, but are there any games for iPhones that involve managing a small community over several generations? Some examples of things I feel fit that description (not all iOS) are King of Dragon Pass, Banished, Crusader Kings, even the Sims kind of (although that's less of a strategy game than the others).

Jinkeez
Dec 31, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This is kind of a weirdly specific request, but are there any games for iPhones that involve managing a small community over several generations? Some examples of things I feel fit that description (not all iOS) are King of Dragon Pass, Banished, Crusader Kings, even the Sims kind of (although that's less of a strategy game than the others).

It's a lot simpler than any of those examples (and doesn't span generations, I hope that's not a deal-breaker), but I played and enjoyed rebuild on Android a while ago. It appears to be available on iOS!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jinkeez posted:

It's a lot simpler than any of those examples (and doesn't span generations, I hope that's not a deal-breaker), but I played and enjoyed rebuild on Android a while ago. It appears to be available on iOS!

Rebuild is a good game but I've already played it to death unfortunately. It seems like there's a real dearth of good games on iOS.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
There's no such thing as a good phone game. Any good phone game is a port from some other platform.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

There's no such thing as a good phone game. Any good phone game is a port from some other platform.

Hoplite?

5thMouseButton
Jun 6, 2010
Looking for a local co-op or party game for non-gamer mom & grandma types on the XB1. Something 2-4 players, colorful, easy to understand and pick up.

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005

The Cheshire Cat posted:

A Sharp, the guys who made KoDP are actually working on a successor to it called Six Ages. It probably won't come out till next year though.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Just got a PS2 from a friend.

I mostly wanted it to play the SMT games that I havent yet (bought three of the potential seven or so that are on the system so far and I intend to get the rest).

He gave it to me with a bunch of games that I'm not as interested in but it did include Soul Calibur 3 and I love it.

What other fighting games are must haves for the PS1 or PS2?

I'm thinking of one of the Tekken games and the Street Fighter Alpha collection for the ps2.

Edit: I've never played any of the SNK games (KOF and the like) and I'm a bit overwhelmed by the options so additional suggestions there may help.

And, on an unrelated note, what other good JRPGs would you guys suggest. I intend to get FFIX since the better half recommends it and I'll probably get the other ones down the line as well.

SylvainMustach fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 23, 2016

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

5thMouseButton posted:

Looking for a local co-op or party game for non-gamer mom & grandma types on the XB1. Something 2-4 players, colorful, easy to understand and pick up.

Jackbox Party Pack? Set of party games specifically for non-gamers, meant to be played with friends/family.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

SylvainMustach posted:

And, on an unrelated note, what other good JRPGs would you guys suggest. I intend to get FFIX since the better half recommends it and I'll probably get the other ones down the line as well.
The Shadow Hearts trilogy, most especially 2/Covenant.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

SylvainMustach posted:

Just got a PS2 from a friend.

I mostly wanted it to play the SMT games that I havent yet (bought three of the potential seven or so that are on the system so far and I intend to get the rest).

He gave it to me with a bunch of games that I'm not as interested in but it did include Soul Calibur 3 and I love it.

What other fighting games are must haves for the PS1 or PS2?

I'm thinking of one of the Tekken games and the Street Fighter Alpha collection for the ps2.

Edit: I've never played any of the SNK games (KOF and the like) and I'm a bit overwhelmed by the options so additional suggestions there may help.

Tekken 5 is one of the best entries in the series and it's probably the Tekken game you'll want to go for between those two platforms.

SylvainMustach posted:

Unless 2D graphics are a dealbreaker for you, Suikoden II for the PS1 is amongst my favorite games of all time.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

SylvainMustach posted:

Okay, since you've gotten a PS2, play all the Ace Combat games. Play Persona 3 FES for JRPG, play Metal Slug (All of them, especially 3) for SNK, complete the Soul Calibur 3 campaign mode where you make your own dude.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Woah shadow hearts seems expensive. Not as awful used so I'll dig around

And I wanted to play metal slug since I love gunstar heroes and contra so thanks for that.

2D is definitely not a deal breaker.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

What's the best shooty-mans game where I can use an M1 Garand or equivalent bolt action gun to kill people? I have a hankering for a WWII era (or earlier?) shooter. I'm curious about Verdun but am having a hard time determining its level of jank via video. Multiplayer, single player, I don't really care.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

kedo posted:

What's the best shooty-mans game where I can use an M1 Garand or equivalent bolt action gun to kill people? I have a hankering for a WWII era (or earlier?) shooter. I'm curious about Verdun but am having a hard time determining its level of jank via video. Multiplayer, single player, I don't really care.

Garand wasn't bolt action :argh:

Also maybe Sniper Elite series?

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
FarCry 2 has one of the best bolt action rifles. And fire.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

kedo posted:

Sniper Elite 3.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

monster on a stick posted:

Garand wasn't bolt action :argh:

Also maybe Sniper Elite series?

Er... Whoops. Yes. Good call, I haven't played any of the Sniper Elite games but have been vaguely intrigued for awhile. Thanks folks!

kedo fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jul 24, 2016

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

kedo posted:

Er... Whoops. Yes. Good call, I haven't played any of the Sniper Elite games but have been vaguely intrigued for awhile. Thanks folks!

Shoot every hitler in all the balls in glorious xray slow-mo, forever

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Anyone who hasn't played Okami yet needs to do so.

And anyone who can manage any tolerance for JRPGs owes it to themselves to play Persona 3 and 4.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

grate deceiver posted:

Shoot every hitler in all the balls in glorious xray slow-mo, forever

Speaking of shooting every hitler in the balls... I was looking into these games yesterday. Is there any reason for me to start with the first one? It looks old and kind of janky. I'm assuming there isn't a hell of a lot of storyline that I'm going to be missing out on if I skip to 2?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

kedo posted:

Speaking of shooting every hitler in the balls... I was looking into these games yesterday. Is there any reason for me to start with the first one? It looks old and kind of janky. I'm assuming there isn't a hell of a lot of storyline that I'm going to be missing out on if I skip to 2?

Here's the storyline: it's World War 2. If there was a plot I can't remember any of it. Sniper Elite 2 is one of those two steps forward, one step back sequels. Improves on a lot of stuff but falls short in a few areas, mostly in level design. Sniper Elite 1 has big open levels and Sniper Elite 2 is more of a "start at one end of the level and get to the other end of the level" type affair. That said I had more fun with Sniper Elite 2 because 1 did feel too old and janky for me. Sniper Elite 3 seems to improve even further, but I only played it for like an hour. 3 is a return to the more open levels where you can actually sneak around, whereas 2 is far too linear to be properly stealthy.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

So I wanted to buy 8 bit armies but it seems a bit bare bones. However I noticed that grey goo got recommended quite a bit as well, anyone else wanna weigh in on grey goo vs 8ba?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

kedo posted:

There is no real story across the games and also just skip to 3. 2 ends up being a mediocre corridor shooter instead of a sniping game.

3 is good stuff though.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Accordion Man posted:

There is no real story across the games and also just skip to 3. 2 ends up being a mediocre corridor shooter instead of a sniping game.

3 is good stuff though.

yea don't buy 2, or 1, or any of the Nazi Zombie Army spinoffs, 3 is the way to go

vvv maybe I didn't get far enough into NZA but it just felt like one big corridor shooter to me

But Not Tonight fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jul 27, 2016

j8910
Apr 2, 2002

But Not Tonight posted:

yea don't buy 2, or 1, or any of the Nazi Zombie Army spinoffs, 3 is the way to go

I liked the Undead Sniper Elite game a lot. Making your opponents undead gave him some design space to make the levels a little more interesting whereas I felt SE3 got repetitive by the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

kedo posted:

The storyline is: there are some hitlers left that haven't been shot in the balls yet.

2 is actually pretty decent, but 3 is better in every way.