Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

ChainsawCharlie posted:

Does anyone have any recomendations for co-op/Split screen games?i've played the lego games with MY WAIFU but everything else seems to be fpses..ses...and im looking for something less murderish.even recomendations for stuff like "keep talking and nobody dies" are welcome.

ultimate chicken horse is some solid multiplayer fun and it gets even better if you get even more people playing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I just ordered a top line gaming desktop to replace my five-year-old, functional but weary desktop. Typically, 4x games and RPGs are my jam (I finally upgraded because my current computer didn't meet the recommended requirements for Civilization 6, and while I played Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 on my PS4, I'd really like to experience them on PC). But neither of those genres have a lot of demanding games, so I'd like to know what's new and bleeding edge from the past 2 years. I think the last graphics intensive game I played on my PC was Wolfenstein: The New Order.

I enjoy action shooty games, but I am bad at them. Therefore, heavily multiplayer based games probably aren't a good pick for me. I'm interested in the new Doom, but I understand the singleplayer campaign is very short so I'll probably wait for a good steam sale.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is definitely my next purchase. I'm also very interested in Dishonored 2, when it comes out(the first is one of my favorites of all time).

I really enjoy a well-done story in games, so Mafia III is intriguing. I love exploration, so I'm looking at Just Cause 3(also for dumb fun explosions).

Any other recommendations?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Have you been playing the Total War games? Total War Warhammer is great, as is Shogun 2. Skip on Rome 2. Find a buddy to play Divinity Original Sin with, that's the best RPG for really emulating the pen and paper RPG feel. Also check out Exanima, as it's the prologue to a game that I feel is really going to push RPG combat if not forwards at least in a different direction. Endless Legend is a must play for 4X if you haven't already, and it's gorgeous.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Have you been playing the Total War games? Total War Warhammer is great, as is Shogun 2. Skip on Rome 2. Find a buddy to play Divinity Original Sin with, that's the best RPG for really emulating the pen and paper RPG feel. Also check out Exanima, as it's the prologue to a game that I feel is really going to push RPG combat if not forwards at least in a different direction. Endless Legend is a must play for 4X if you haven't already, and it's gorgeous.

Original Sin is one of my favorite games of the past 10 years. I've played pretty much all of the big Kickstarter RPG titles(Divinity; Wastlenad 2; Pillars of Eternity, Shadowrun because they're pretty easy on system requirements). Shogun 2 I played religiously on my current system; it it was top of the line when it came out. Definitely want to check out Warhammer when it comes out as my current system is below the minimum specs. I adore XCOM2, but it barely runs on my current computer so I'm looking forward to a smooth experience with all the bells and whistles.

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

Is there a good PC game like Advance Wars? Preferably a little older, since my laptop can't run recent games.

E- looks like Silent Storm is supposed to be similar, and it's $2 on GoG right now. Invisible Inc. was also recommended, but I'm not sure if I could run that. I've already played XCOM Enemy Within, and I'm really sad that XCOM2 won't run.

man in the eyeball hat fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 26, 2016

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Zlocista posted:

Is there a good PC game like Advance Wars? Preferably a little older, since my laptop can't run recent games.

E- looks like Silent Storm is supposed to be similar, and it's $2 on GoG right now. Invisible Inc. was also recommended, but I'm not sure if I could run that. I've already played XCOM Enemy Within, and I'm really sad that XCOM2 won't run.
Battle for Wesnoth is probably more similar than any of those, and also it's free and old!

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

What are some games that have good exploration and really reward that exploration by finding interesting/rare/unique items or materials or a really tough enemy or whatever? The Witcher 3 does this phenomenally, and so does the STALKER series. I'm not looking for like a loot grind or dungeon crawler necessarily. I've played most of the big modern RPGs (Dark Souls, Elder Scrolls, etc). It doesn't have to be fantasy or even an RPG, as long as it encourages and rewards fun exploration.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

johnny park posted:

What are some games that have good exploration and really reward that exploration by finding interesting/rare/unique items or materials or a really tough enemy or whatever? The Witcher 3 does this phenomenally, and so does the STALKER series. I'm not looking for like a loot grind or dungeon crawler necessarily. I've played most of the big modern RPGs (Dark Souls, Elder Scrolls, etc). It doesn't have to be fantasy or even an RPG, as long as it encourages and rewards fun exploration.

Grim Dawn is full of this but it is a loot-based dungeon crawler. The world is enormous and full of little twists and turns and dead ends that hide optional dungeons, bosses, treasure chests that explode into loot showers, NPCs that can be rescued and sent to live in the villages and optional quests. It's pretty story-heavy for an ARPG and a a fair amount of the rewards are lore-related (picking up audio logs kind of stuff), but there's also a separate character progression system based entirely on finding shrines hidden in the world.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 26, 2016

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Zlocista posted:

A few to check out on GOG, but I can't say for sure if they're enough like Advance Wars to scratch what itch you're going for:
However, they should all run on damp towel or whatever you got going there.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Shakill OReal posted:

Grim Dawn is full of this but it is a loot-based dungeon crawler. The world is enormous and full of little twists and turns and dead ends that hide optional dungeons, bosses, treasure chests that explode into loot showers, NPCs that can be rescued and sent to live in the villages and optional quests. It's pretty story-heavy for an ARPG and a a fair amount of the rewards are lore-related (picking up audio logs kind of stuff), but there's also a separate character progression system based entirely on finding shrines hidden in the world.

Thanks, I'll check it out

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
recommend me a game with an active, large multiplayer community, that allows you to play while you're downloading so I can try it out with out waiting 6 hours. I'm cool with MMO's or Shooters or whatever, as long as there's a fairly active discord with people shooting the poo poo, and are friendly.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Any suggestions for a game like mini metro but open ended? Like I'm tired of the fuckers at new-geometric-destination and can ignore them without losing the entire game. Just expand/optimize at my own pace? I already play factorio. PC or android would be nice.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Wandering Orange posted:

Any suggestions for a game like mini metro but open ended? Like I'm tired of the fuckers at new-geometric-destination and can ignore them without losing the entire game. Just expand/optimize at my own pace? I already play factorio. PC or android would be nice.

Have you tried mini metro on endless? This is a legit question, some people don't know about the other modes.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
What are some good single player games that have a large town element that as you gather resources from exploring/fighting you are slowly upgrading the town and providing additional benefits for yourself? Something along the lines of your homestead in Skyrim, Garrisons in WoW, or even the crafting stations in Diablo 3, but where a lot of the focus of the game is on that.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Darkest Dungeon?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Malt posted:

What are some good single player games that have a large town element that as you gather resources from exploring/fighting you are slowly upgrading the town and providing additional benefits for yourself? Something along the lines of your homestead in Skyrim, Garrisons in WoW, or even the crafting stations in Diablo 3, but where a lot of the focus of the game is on that.

Dragon Quest 7, recently released for 3DS!!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Malt posted:

Not sure if it would count, but the Rune Factory series is Harvest Moon crossed with a dungeon crawler RPG

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Malt posted:

Seconding Darkest Dungeon.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Unreal_One posted:

Have you tried mini metro on endless? This is a legit question, some people don't know about the other modes.

Endless mode isn't endless - there are a limited number of lines (7) and stations (81?), and you stop getting upgrades over 100 passengers per day.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

The Mantis posted:

let's talk about this part

No seriously, can we get an A/T or something?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Are there any good modern PC games about running a business? I've seen several nice old games but, can't tolerate the aged graphics anymore.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Azuth0667 posted:

Are there any good modern PC games about running a business? I've seen several nice old games but, can't tolerate the aged graphics anymore.

Game Dev Tycoon sort of does this. And it isn't a business per se, but Democracy 3 has alot of the same appeal.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop
Anyone know of any (PC) strategy games with a decent skirmish mode, where you buy your units in advance - like the original Battlefront CM games? I believe they got rid of Quick Battle, or at least unit purchasing, in the newer ones. I've got zero interest in playing a campaign; I just want to assemble a hosed-up army and go improvising on some random terrain against the AI.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Azuth0667 posted:

football manager?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Flopstick posted:

Anyone know of any (PC) strategy games with a decent skirmish mode, where you buy your units in advance - like the original Battlefront CM games? I believe they got rid of Quick Battle, or at least unit purchasing, in the newer ones. I've got zero interest in playing a campaign; I just want to assemble a hosed-up army and go improvising on some random terrain against the AI.

Total War? The single battles have a point system if I remember correctly.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Total War? The single battles have a point system if I remember correctly.

Cool, thanks, will give it a look.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Azuth0667 posted:

What's your definition of "modern"?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Angry Lobster posted:

What's your definition of "modern"?

The last 5 years.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Azuth0667 posted:

The last 5 years.

Mad Games Tycoon is cool, kinda Game Dev Story but taken to 11, way more things to research and dip your foot into in the business.

Also its had as nails

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Azuth0667 posted:

Software Inc is good.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Looking for a somewhat relaxing game with some kind of item or crafting progression, fun core gameplay loop, maybe a good sound track. Something that's challenging and interesting but that I can play when I'm too tired to play Rocket League or CS:GO or anything that requires alertness. Some games I've played recently and liked:

Stardew Valley
Civ V
Cities Skylines

I'm pretty open to genres, styles, whatever, but ideally it would be a PC game that I can get on Steam.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

prom candy posted:

Looking for a somewhat relaxing game with some kind of item or crafting progression, fun core gameplay loop, maybe a good sound track. Something that's challenging and interesting but that I can play when I'm too tired to play Rocket League or CS:GO or anything that requires alertness. Some games I've played recently and liked:

Stardew Valley
Civ V
Cities Skylines

I'm pretty open to genres, styles, whatever, but ideally it would be a PC game that I can get on Steam.

This might just be me being weird, but I've had success using the Diablos and their various imitators as semi-mindless time killers. Torchilight and it's sequel are pretty good, and won't require a $60+ investment, if you haven't played them already.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

prom candy posted:

Stardew Valley
Civ V
Cities Skylines

X-Com, Tropico 3-5, King's Bounty Series.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

prom candy posted:

Looking for a somewhat relaxing game

:psyduck:

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Banished is relaxing for a survival city builder. Every town I've made eventually collapses before I reach 1000 people but the path to collapse is pleasant.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

XCOM:EU on easy difficulty isn't too hard. Stay away from XCOM 2 or the old XCOMs. I mean just generally stay away from XCOM 2 anyway. It's a significantly less polished game and it shows.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

prom candy posted:

Stardew Valley
Civ V
Cities Skylines

Subnautica does this for me.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

prom candy posted:

Stardew Valley
Civ V
Cities Skylines

Farming Simulator is great for this. Euro truck can be good too, although it's a bit too slow for my personal tastes

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
I typically use Warframe for it. I find grinding repeatedly an actual relaxing activity and if I'm not doing sorties, it's pretty drat easy to sleep through the missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Anno 1404 on one of the chill difficulty levels