Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Keeshhound posted:

This might just be me being weird, but I've had success using the Diablos and their various imitators as semi-mindless time killers. Torchilight and it's sequel are pretty good, and won't require a $60+ investment, if you haven't played them already.

Any ARPG is pretty mindless fun indeed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Thanks for all the suggestions, I tried Anno 1404 a while ago but couldn't get into it. I've already got Torchlight 2 in my library so I'm going to give that a whirl but I added a bunch of others to my wish list for later. I had never heard of a few that look pretty cool.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

djw175 posted:

I mean just generally stay away from XCOM 2 anyway. It's a significantly less polished game and it shows.
This is bullshit. It's shoddily optimised and runs like poo poo, yes, but otherwise it's the better game of the two.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Nordick posted:

This is bullshit. It's shoddily optimised and runs like poo poo, yes, but otherwise it's the better game of the two.

It's good if you liked the Long War mod for 1. If you didn't, it has the exact same problems. There's never any relaxation time and things are constantly nearly going out of control.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

djw175 posted:

There's never any relaxation time and things are constantly nearly going out of control.

To many people, this is the defining characteristic of the new X-com games.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

djw175 posted:

It's good if you liked the Long War mod for 1. If you didn't, it has the exact same problems. There's never any relaxation time and things are constantly nearly going out of control.
it's good, then

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Long War is bad, XCOM 2 is good, tia.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Any good games based around (or solely about) negotiation? I'm thinking along the lines of the negotiation part of Pacific Theater of Operations 2 for the SNES.

E: Oh, and like Romance of the Three Kingdoms style debates of course, but without actually having to do that other boring crap.

djw175 posted:

XCOM:EU on easy difficulty isn't too hard. Stay away from XCOM 2 or the old XCOMs. I mean just generally stay away from XCOM 2 anyway. It's a significantly less polished game and it shows.

XCOM 2 is a much better game as if you lose a mission you aren't boned, whereas in EU losing a soldier means you've just lost the game.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 12, 2016

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'm getting a 3ds in a week or so. Any must haves? I mostly play RPGs and strategy, but I would be open to platforming because, well, Mario.

EDIT: I know Pokemon exist. Played the first or second one and didn't like it, despite enjoying Shin Megami Tensei games.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm getting a 3ds in a week or so. Any must haves? I mostly play RPGs and strategy, but I would be open to platforming because, well, Mario.

EDIT: I know Pokemon exist. Played the first or second one and didn't like it, despite enjoying Shin Megami Tensei games.

I'm guessing the Fire Emblem games will be right up your alley, being turn-based strategy with minor RPG elements (numbers). Fates is the latest in the series and has 3 separate sub-campaigns, purchased separately. They're anime as heck (and not in a good way sometimes) but the gameplay is solid and you can be as casual or obsessive about the mechanics as you like.

For my part, does anyone know of ANY realistic / pseudo-realistic mining-based games? Steam only contains 'Mining Industry Simulator' and 'Mining and Tunneling Simulator', both of which have terrible reviews. Space Engineers is about as hardcore as any simulation I've played goes, and I'm looking for something a bit more involved.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Fat Samurai posted:

I don't have a 3DS so I can't really fully vouch for them, but yeah I've heard the Fire Emblems are good, as well as the Bravely Defaults. Seeing is that you're a Mega Ten fan there's 4, Apocalypse, Devil Summoner 1, and the Devil Survivors.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

immortal flow posted:

I'm guessing the Fire Emblem games will be right up your alley, being turn-based strategy with minor RPG elements (numbers). Fates is the latest in the series and has 3 separate sub-campaigns, purchased separately. They're anime as heck (and not in a good way sometimes) but the gameplay is solid and you can be as casual or obsessive about the mechanics as you like.

For my part, does anyone know of ANY realistic / pseudo-realistic mining-based games? Steam only contains 'Mining Industry Simulator' and 'Mining and Tunneling Simulator', both of which have terrible reviews. Space Engineers is about as hardcore as any simulation I've played goes, and I'm looking for something a bit more involved.

Important about Fire Emblem Fates. Start with Birthright! It's a generally easier game with the option to grind up experience if you have trouble. It's a good way to introduce the mechanics and storywise, it's clearly meant to be played first. Then move onto Conquest and then finally Revelation.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Fat Samurai posted:

When you do get one, take an hour or two and put a custom firmware on it before upgrading to the latest firmware version, as the later versions essentially lock out homebrew. This includes stuff like save backup and restore, emulation, custom themes, :filez:, and a lot more. No downside for doing so either, you set it up once and then never need to worry about it again.

This guide will tell you how.

https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki

As to the substance of your question! Going to go along with everyone else and recommend Fire Emblem. There are two 3ds Fire Emblem Games - Fire Emblem Awakening, and Fire Emblem Fates. Both are excellent.

I also recommend starting Birthright first. When choosing your difficulty, I would advise starting on Hard/Casual. Normal is ludicrously easy, and unless you have homebrew and therefore cheats, you can only reduce your difficulty, not increase it.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I need a game that can eat time. As much time as possible, I'm talking Civilization or Minecraft levels of time-eating. A minecraft-like would be perfect, or survival games in general; alternatively an ARPG like Diablo or something would work. Any sort of game that encourages you to waste five hours at a time, then come back tomorrow and do it again.

Difficulty: Gotta be Steam VR / Vive. So far all I've seen as decent games are once-through stories or arcade-type no-progression games (Brookhaven Experiment is FANTASTIC for what it's worth)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Evilreaver posted:

I need a game that can eat time. As much time as possible, I'm talking Civilization or Minecraft levels of time-eating. A minecraft-like would be perfect, or survival games in general; alternatively an ARPG like Diablo or something would work. Any sort of game that encourages you to waste five hours at a time, then come back tomorrow and do it again.

Difficulty: Gotta be Steam VR / Vive. So far all I've seen as decent games are once-through stories or arcade-type no-progression games (Brookhaven Experiment is FANTASTIC for what it's worth)

Stardew Valley? If you're in for its gameplay, it'll take forever to get through and I'm enjoying it immensely.

e: wait damnit, I misread your post you want VR games. I...don't know if a long good VR game exists yet?

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm getting a 3ds in a week or so. Any must haves? I mostly play RPGs and strategy, but I would be open to platforming because, well, Mario

A lot of people like Fire Emblem, i found it overly complex and the pointless anime cut scenes detracted from the experience but it's about as good a mix of strategy and rpg as you'll find.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate is great, if you are unfamiliar with the games I'd recommend you look up a video to see if it's too your taste.

Ocarina of Time if you have never played it is a great shout but everyone knows it. Its outstanding how well a 18 year old game can stand up with a bit of polish.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Evilreaver posted:

I would like one of those too :v:

I guess you could do the wave shooters like Out of Ammo but there just isn't anything with that much depth yet. You can however play Mine craft in VR if that is your thing.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Evilreaver posted:

The Solus Project is a survivally game, Vive Minecraft is also great. Final Approach is also a good full game, but it isn't that long of a time destroyer. Onward is a great multiplayer shooter, House of the Dying Sun has a great campaign and a good wave mode, though the games that have gotten the most of my time have been Audioshield and Elite Dangerous.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

immortal flow posted:

Far from being up everyone's street, but have you considered dwarf fortress? With the LNP pack (read the sa thread first) it isn't really that hard to get into.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
I'm looking for a big open world RPG. Can be first or third person. Not looking for an older isometric game. I've already played most of the big ones, but was wondering if there's any I've missed.

I've played:
Fallouts
Elder Scrollses
Witchers
Dragon's Dogma
Soulsbournes
Borderlands
Dragon Ages

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Viperix posted:

I'm looking for a big open world RPG. Can be first or third person. Not looking for an older isometric game. I've already played most of the big ones, but was wondering if there's any I've missed.

I've played:
Fallouts
Elder Scrollses
Witchers
Dragon's Dogma
Soulsbournes
Borderlands
Dragon Ages

Kingdoms of Amalur is pretty fun. Don't try and do every side quest or you will burn out long before the game is over.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Viperix posted:

I've played:
Fallouts
Elder Scrollses
Witchers
Dragon's Dogma
Soulsbournes
Borderlands
Dragon Ages

Dying Light is an open world parkour/combat/exploration zombie game that came after the peak of the genre. A fantastic open world game. Scavenge during the day, then scramble home before the super strong aggressive zombies come out at night--or try your hardest to survive.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Ramagamma posted:

A lot of people like Fire Emblem, i found it overly complex and the pointless anime cut scenes detracted from the experience but it's about as good a mix of strategy and rpg as you'll find.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate is great, if you are unfamiliar with the games I'd recommend you look up a video to see if it's too your taste.

Ocarina of Time if you have never played it is a great shout but everyone knows it. Its outstanding how well a 18 year old game can stand up with a bit of polish.

it's worth mentioning monster hunter 4 ultimate also has a demo if you want to give the gameplay a shot

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Viperix posted:

I've played:
Fallouts
Elder Scrollses
Witchers
Dragon's Dogma
Soulsbournes
Borderlands
Dragon Ages
have you played Gothic 1-2 or Risen 1? German and pretty "hardcore" with some design decisions that can be offputting if you're not a masochist, but fantastic games that really scratch that itch you're after. Risen 1 is probably the most polished so I'd recommend starting there - I bounced off Gothic hard until I played Risen and went back and enjoyed it a lot.

Please don't play Risen 2 or 3.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Viperix posted:

I've played:
Fallouts
Elder Scrollses
Witchers
Dragon's Dogma
Soulsbournes
Borderlands
Dragon Ages

The divinity games are worth a look at.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

What's the best crafting style game out there right now? I'm not crazy about Minecraft as a game, put a fair amount of time into Terraria and enjoyed it, haven't played much else and just wondering what's good lately.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

The Ninth Layer posted:

What's the best crafting style game out there right now? I'm not crazy about Minecraft as a game, put a fair amount of time into Terraria and enjoyed it, haven't played much else and just wondering what's good lately.

Don't get me started on 7 Days To Die, I love it to death and will never shut up. It has a fair amount of 'bad rep' due to being janky/ugly in early alpha but it has been overhauled and looks a ton better than its trailers.

Anyway its all crafting all day, and some zombies here and there. Just hit my 1000th hour!

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

The Ninth Layer posted:

If you have a PS4, it seems like a lot of people are really enjoying Dragon Quest Builders. Other than that, I think Starbound is finally close to being a fully-featured product. But take this with a grain of salt, I haven't actually played either game.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Viperix posted:

I've played:
Fallouts
Elder Scrollses
Witchers
Dragon's Dogma
Soulsbournes
Borderlands
Dragon Ages

If you can deal with Eastern European Jankiness, try out The Precursors.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

FanaticalMilk posted:

If you have a PS4, it seems like a lot of people are really enjoying Dragon Quest Builders. Other than that, I think Starbound is finally close to being a fully-featured product. But take this with a grain of salt, I haven't actually played either game.

As somebody who loves DQB, it's not the greatest crafting game, there's very few crafting recipes and the structure of the game isn't really about crafting per se. Think of it as a JRPG with the combat swapped for rudimentary building and crafting mechanics.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
I recently bought a PS3, and played through Demon's Souls. What are some other good action rpgs that are on the PS3? I have played Dark Souls before.

Also, how's Infamous Festival of Blood?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

CowboyAndy posted:

I recently bought a PS3, and played through Demon's Souls. What are some other good action rpgs that are on the PS3? I have played Dark Souls before.

Nier, though its more of the narrative that makes it so good. It's gameplay is mostly just serviceable though it has some cool boss fights.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

CowboyAndy posted:

Festival of Blood is great, it's like an Infamous game without any kind of slog at any point, just a fun place to use stupid powers. For ARPGs on PS3, go with Dragon's Dogma if you haven't played it yet. There's also Nier, and I suppose God of War might count Ninja Gaiden Sigma? Even slightly further from Action RPG, go for the Devil May Cry HD collection. Please play the Yakuza games, don't worry that on PS3 you'd start with 3. I'd also highly recommend since you've gotten a PS3 to play Heavy Rain, Ni No Kuni, Bayonetta and Vanquish.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
Festival of Blood sounds great. I enjoyed Second Son, but it got repetitive fast.

I have tried a few of those action RPGs (Dragons Dogma, Nier, etc...) and they were good but, weren't for me. I'm more curious about 3d Dot Game Heroes. How was that game? I am interested in it, but 30 bucks for a new copy seem a bit steep for me.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

It's alright, not great. How about Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning?

E: And White Knight Chronicles (quality not guaranteed), the Tales series, Odin Sphere? Deathspank?

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 22, 2016

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

CowboyAndy posted:

I have tried a few of those action RPGs (Dragons Dogma, Nier, etc...) and they were good but, weren't for me. I'm more curious about 3d Dot Game Heroes. How was that game? I am interested in it, but 30 bucks for a new copy seem a bit steep for me.
I really enjoyed 3D Dot Game Heroes. It was just the right mix of NES Zelda with some more modern mechanics. You can make your own in game avatar which I thought was pretty cool. I'd pay $30 for it but you know, ymmv.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
Eh, 30 bucks isn't too bad for a new game. And I do like some zelda, but every time I watch some clips of dot game heroes, it doesn't really grab me. I think I'll play through Demons Souls again, and try out Festival of Blood later on. Thanks!

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

CowboyAndy posted:

Eh, 30 bucks isn't too bad for a new game. And I do like some zelda, but every time I watch some clips of dot game heroes, it doesn't really grab me. I think I'll play through Demons Souls again, and try out Festival of Blood later on. Thanks!

Take a look at Darksiders. It plays like a 3D Zelda game is surprisingly good.

5thMouseButton
Jun 6, 2010
Looking for a PC horror shooter game, first or third. Along the lines of Dead Space, Alan Wake, & Condemned: Criminal Origins.

Horror elements as far as being atmospheric, more action than say Amnesia (though I may just play that again) and would like some shooting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
The Evil Within? It had a rough launch on PC but it's basically fine nowadays.