Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

i3lueHorneT posted:

I'm looking for a transport management game for the PC. Something where you layout bus routes and roadways and such. Already played the Sim City series, I was thinking about Cities XL but I don't want the city building aspect, just the transport.

Maybe a train simulator where you layout rail tracks. Any suggestions?

If you don't mind retro goodness, there's OpenTTD. There's also an occasional goon flare-up of interest, as it's pretty robust as a multiplayer game, and it's a relative snap to set up a server.

http://www.openttd.org/en/

It'll cost you nothing but time to find out if you like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Pikey posted:

I'm looking for a fun tactical RPG/strategy game, preferably turn based so I can play it while chilling in front of the tv on my laptop. It doesn't have to be full on RPG but I would like some kind of character progression be it through gear or ability. The one thing i don't want to deal with is a miles deep obscure combat system or having to play for 5 hours before my guys can hit somebody at 10 paces. I tried to get into jagged alliance 2 with 1.13 which I enjoyed, but by the time i really got a handle on the game's systems I had died and replayed the opening few towns so much i was just burnt out. Any ideas?

You could go with Alien Assault, a free Space Hulk remake. It's tbs tactical scenarios rather than open world strategic, though your guys do level up from mission to mission.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Yonic Symbolism posted:

I really liked the tactical missions in Half Life Episodes one and two, like the zombie ambush in the dark and the part where you defend the base from the Striders and Hunters, but I'm kind of new to modern FPS's. What games are like that?

Hm. Iron Grip Warlord is kind of like the bit in ep 2 where you defend against the antlions, it's basically a FPS tower defense, where you also must participate in shooting the oncoming legions.

It's $2.50 on Steam at the moment, and is (in my small experience) better suited for play on your own or amongst friends also new to the game. Playing online with others more experienced in the game, it hardly matters what you do, in fact, you're almost in competition with them to place turrets in just the right place.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

You might want to look outside the 4X genre heavyweights. Oasis is to a 4X what Desktop Dungeons is to Nethack. It looks nothing like a 4X, but you still have to manage research, population, assemble a military force, and uncover a map. It's the basics of 4X distilled into 5 minute segments, and has never gotten half the attention it deserves. I've routinely found Oasis as low as $5 at brick and mortar stores, and I have no idea why it isn't on Steam.

Haven't played it, because Shrapnel can't seem to understand how to price their products to non-grognards, but Bronze looks pretty good as well. Free demo, a jaw-dropping $30 for the full game.

The above are not set in space, obviously, but the Planetfall mod for Civ IV is. Comes stock with Civ4 Complete.

Too complex? Just play Pax Britannica: a one-button spaceship RTS battler.

e: Pax B is set underwater.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

^^^ This guy is right on all counts. If the 4X genre's a bit of a ghost town, space-based TBS 4X's are moreso. MoO2 would also be my first choice, and GalCiv does mostly everything right, but has an oddly clinical feel.

I'd also add Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (it's futuristic and planetary, and the AI isn't too bright, but it's quite good), and possibly the Civ 4 Planetfall mod in a 4X emergency.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

FRAZZLED JOHNSON posted:

Turns out I have a boxed copy of Master of Orion 2, but I may still get it from good old games so I don't have to set it up in dosbox or whatever. Any chance of being able to play it over a lan?

Some! GOG comes with a preconfigured DOSBox, and with a shortcut to start the game in a mode that's conducive to a networked game. Haven't tried it myself.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Painkiller is a fantastic game to shoot bad dudes in.

If you get it, be sure to install the PowerMad mod.

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/painkiller_black_edition/important_powermad_cheat_scripts_for_painkiller_black/post1

To quote myself (pimping the mod, I didn't make it):

quote:

Want to circle-strafe around a cloud of enemies at 8X speed, firing rockets faster than they can come out of your weapon, then resume action to normal, watching the whole crowd of 'em get kicked around by competing explosions, and do this thirty times every level?

Of course you do.

e: the download link is down, try this one: http://www.mediafire.com/?wa1wx827ie95cdn

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 5, 2011

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

My friends and I are looking for an action-packed FPS game, along the lines of Battlefield 2. We all have PCs. We're a diverse group, which basically means that the only thing that holds 100% of everyone's attention is big FPS military shootouts. Anything outside that range, and people tend to drop out and lose interest.

- must be cheap or free
- must run on older systems
- must have co-op against bots. Most of these guys are casuals.
- must be fairly easy to jump into
- must have a minimum of technical issues

As a group, we have enjoyed and have pretty much played out:
- Battlefield 2
- Counter Strike
- SWAT
- Operation Flashpoint (the original)
- IL-2

We didn't all enjoy, or a few of us basically refuse to play:
- Left 4 Dead (boring)
- Team Fortress 2 (no bots)
- Citizen Kabuto (managing a base is too hard and complicated)

We can't get these to work with everyone's PCs:
- Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising
- Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising

The above two are kind of a heartbreak, because they've held the most potential for fun. Pretty much all of use want to run around on an island, steal tanks and helicopters, and cause A-Team level damage. Everything like that is either too new and expensive, has no co-op versus bots worth a drat, or doesn't work on Hamachi. I'm out of ideas, is there anything out there that will work for us?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Verty3 posted:

Shawdowrun on snes?

Hell yes.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Danger Mahoney posted:

I'm looking for a good coop game for four folks to play on the same screen. Between us we have all the major systems as well as a PC hooked up to the living room television. So far we've enjoyed LBP, LBP2, Castle Crashers, Scott Pilgrim, and Black Ops against bots. We are really hoping for something a little more strategic though, maybe even something with hotseat multiplayer. Nothing TOO hardcore though because copious amounts of beer are usually present.

I dunno, I think I may be out of luck.

Split Second, though that may not be 4-player. It's a racer with Michael Bay physics.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Cowcatcher posted:

I'm looking for a strategy-ish game to play on a lunch break. Had a lot of fun with Desktop Dungeons and Revenge of the Titans.

Jive One posted:

Maybe try Weird Worlds. It's specifically designed to be played in short 15-30 minute runs.

If there's a way to get it without spending $25, I'd pick this up in a second. Shrapnel, Weird Worlds is hella old, put it on Steam for a decent price already!

However, the first game, Strange Adventures in Infinite Space, is very similar, very good, and very free.

Oasis is an excellent game that never got enough love. In my view, if Desktop Dungeons is a puzzly homage to roguelikes, Oasis is a great boiled down 4X, like Civilization. Like Shrapnel, Mind Control doesn't seem to want to put this marvelous game on Steam. It's $20, and frankly, worth it, but you can find it at random stores for about $10 or less. Reviewed.

There's also Bronze, a newcomer with some real promise, haven't played it much myself, but it looks very good. Sadly, it's also a Shrapnel game, and will probably languish in obscurity.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Danger Mahoney posted:

What are the hardest games for PC that are absolutely fair? Difficulty: Not platformers or puzzle games.

My "fair" I mean in the way that Super Meatboy is fair where Kaizo Mario isn't. I know they're platformers but those are the best examples I could think of.

Chess.

e: Yeah I know, who plays chess?

No platformers? What a shame. Spelunky's still great.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 26, 2011

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

All I could think of while watching the Subversion alpha demo video from a few months ago was how badly I just wanted to ignore the tiresome squad management stuff, and just control a single person from first or third person perspective, sneaking into high-tech security buildings, stealing poo poo, and then making a desperate getaway in a massive, generated city.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

It looks like Noctis won't run on my Win 7 64 system, can anyone recommend a game that focuses on the exploration of a vast universe of drab wonders?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Silentman0 posted:

Are there any single player games like that? Hopefully on Steam?

It's not nearly the same, but it's the only thing I can think of, and it's free: Alien Assault, a turn-based Space Hulk clone.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Arctic posted:

Though it's definitely not a 1 to 1 comparison to Noctis I think Nomad fits the bill of having an open explorable lonely universe. The whole game is best described as Star Control 2's less successful and slightly dumber brother where you have places to dock and buy supplies, upgrades and check out the assignment board. However for the most part you're out in bumfuck uninhabited space looking for clues, lore, resources and just general poking around.

It goes without saying you'll be playing it through DOSBOX.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nomad_%28game%29
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/nomad

Well, this isn't at all what I asked for. But it is a pretty neat game, and I've been wanting a space wanderer with a plot, so thanks! Not bad for 1993.

e: I'm pretty sure I can play this on an analog game controller, neat.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 9, 2011

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

TheStampede posted:

Looking for a game where you can lead fleets of spaceships in battle, kind of like Homeworld or Sins of a Solar Empire. Any suggestions?

Might want to take a look at AI War. For me, it's taken both a learning curve and an enjoyment curve, but it's pretty good, and still in very active development. If it appeals, units commanded rise into the thousands, and still there's not much micromanagement to worry about.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Mar 21, 2011

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

GreatGreen posted:

4x stuff

AI War is kind of like this, you conquer a planet, set up your defenses, mass produce a bigger fleet, and move on to the next planet. However, you will have to shuffle around your fleet to defend your previous planets at times, and re-shuffle your defensive turrets according to escalating threats. There is less micro than it sounds like, (for example, you can set up your fleet and turret defenses to automatically rebuild, and your ships are smart enough to fight for themselves in battles) but there definitely is some management needed other than just dragging your fleet around and scorching the earth.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

GreatGreen posted:

I'll give this a shot too. There's something I can't tell from the videos about it though. Is this more of a casual game, or is it just as hardcore as anything else, but with simpler graphics?

I'd say it's midcore, and definitely not casual. I'm not much of an RTS player (I couldn't get into Starcraft at all), but the pacing works for me (and actually the pacing is adjustable). It's also definitely complex, or at least seems so, because it tries to merge RTS, 4X, and some tower defense elements into a single game, so it melds several game concepts into something that's not immediately familiar. It also removes a lot of the micromanagement associated with classic RTS games, so being blindingly fast at issuing orders isn't really necessary, you can take your time and think things out, and can even set things up so that you have an unlimited time to do so... or jack up the threat level so you're more motivated.

The graphics are what they are because sprites are CPU cheap and there can be thousands of ships going at it at once. I've gotten used to the graphics, but they're probably my least favorite thing about the game, because a good sprite artist could have given AI War much more appeal, even personality, which the game lacks.

Since the developer practically butters his toast with this game, it's also being continually developed and patched. I've even had a few of my ideas used in the game (very minor ones), so take my words with a grain of salt, as I probably feel a bit more invested in it than your average player.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Implosion Factory posted:

So consider my request to be "what would you recommend as an exemplary example of co-op game with a cool plot/world to explore?"

I was recently reintroduced to Hardwar thanks to another thread. It's an open world game, with a plot that's advancable by the host, at his own pace. From what I can tell, it would be pretty good for a few like-minded friends to play. A downside: the lag ain't great.

e: thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3398621

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Isolationist posted:

Flying around a kill-everything plane, base raping until someone lands a lucky shot on you, and you bail out and land directly in their just-respawned helicopter to continue the slaughter

I can see why it died. Fun for one guy, aggravation for five others.

One game that sort of does that was the old Roseanne's Bum server for Unreal Tournament... the first UT, that is. Those maps were almost entirely about flying around in pocket jets, baseraping, and never stopping.

e: I used to just grab a sniper rifle, and pick off X-Rocket pilots at a distance by the dozen. Good times.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Fil5000 posted:

Just looked (finally) and there's no co op in Frozen Synapse. I still recommend it though.

It's "definitely planned" though: http://forums.mode7games.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1704#p5181

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Synnr posted:

Any recommendations for single player junk I can play on a kind of crappy laptop or ds? I need something to kill time during flights waiting around, or when I'm away from an internet connect. I have steam for the moment.

At the moment I have harvest moon and rune factory 2 for the ds and only really have dwarf fortress on my laptop. I'm going to see if I can get a copy of alpha centauri and the sequel if I can, and try to find my copy of dungeon keeper 2. Maybe there are some megaman x games for the ds?

Alpha Centauri's a great choice.

Here's what's on my netbook: http://www.gog.com/en/mix/30_minutes_a_cup_of_coffee_and_a_netbook

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

If a female main character is wanted, can't go wrong with Beyond Good and Evil. It's not a shooter, but it's still a good game.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

lDDQD posted:

I'm looking for more 2D platformers to play. Preferably for PC, but anything that can be emulated is fair game. Or PSP/NDS.

games from the same genre [2d platformers] I really liked
(in order of preference, by platform):
(pc)
-Cave Story
-Super Meat Boy
-MegaMan X4 (win32)
-N
-Abuse (win32)
-Braid
-Aquaria
-The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom

(msdos)
Fury of the Furries
Prince of Persia (1&2)
Aladdin
Prehistorik 2

(snes)
MegaMan X3

(nds)
MegaMan ZX Advent
N+

I might be forgetting some, but whatever.

Bytejacker seems to review a new platformer or three every week. http://www.bytejacker.com/

You've probably already played Spelunky and Super Crate Box. I don't much care for the latter, but Spelunky is one of my favorites.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 17, 2011

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Tagra posted:

I always have the most fun in those games playing with my husband who does all the military stuff and protects me while I supply him with all the trade goods and money to bolster the armies. Unfortunately it never seems like I have those sort of cooperative options in a single player game. Too complicated to design in a not lovely way, I guess.

[edit]I just want to be the lovable country with all sorts of shiny resources that everyone leaps to defend if someone glares in my direction :smith:

I wonder if Giants: Citizen Kabuto would work for you two at all.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Len posted:

This is a weird question but are there any games that are less game and more just running around exploring pretty environments? If possible a PC game with coop so a friend and I can just gently caress around in pretty environments.

Would Love (the video game) work here? That or Minecraft with some some graphics addons.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Couple more ideas for world roaming:

- Arma II, with no combatants, just fauna and civilians and vehicles. There are even extra landmasses to download and explore.

- Stay with me here, but Far Cry 2. The maps are the size of postage stamps unfortunately, but it's so absurdly easy to plant down a huge swampy forest and stick some ruins in there, then draw a river cutting through it, or just bound through the desert in dune buggies.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Can someone recommend me a few good Arma II mods or missions?

My friends and I all have Arma II: Operation Arrowhead and the base Arma II. We've been playing it for at least two years, and I've been very bored with it for some time. I'm starting to browse through the huge catalog of fan missions and mods, but I could use some advice.

We play co-op, in fairly short bursts of around half an hour, at least half of us are averse to versus gameplay, or really anything very challenging. As a group, we prefer to go up against enemies that we outrange, where they shoot at us but rarely hit. Like I said, I've been pretty bored with this for some time.

What I'd really like is something like Far Cry 2's single player game, but with multiplayer co-op. Like, roam around, get a mission, find little fortifications or populated towns on the road, kill dudes, take their stuff, maybe with the larger goal of an assassination or demolition, or an escape.

Sounds like a typical mission, BUT what I want is something that generates these goals randomly on its own. Something like the SecOps module, but with more depth, randomness, and replayability.

(Arma has a personal reputation with me for almost, but not quite, meeting my lowest expectations for basic fun, so I will not be surprised if something like this only 'almost' exists.)

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm not asking about Arma III, just II.

If you gotta know why, it's because these guys are very casual and will not pony up the cash for a newer game, that's not significantly improved (in their view) from II. It was very difficult to get them to pay for this game in the first place. And personally, I'm not interested in plowing more cash into a franchise I'm not that enthusiastic about.

Does Arma III have exactly the feature that I'm asking for or something?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Blast of Confetti posted:

So what's the new hotness on sandbox space games where you're in the cockpit of a lovely fighter and eventually find yourself commanding a capital ship with fleets of destroyers and fighters?

I heard that Evochron Mercenary might be it, but the whole one man dev team concept usually worries me. :v:

Should I just stick with X3:AP?

It's not new hotness, but if you don't mind old warmness, Starshatter was too good to be as overlooked as it was, and you can command everything from a lowly fighter to managing carrier operations. I wouldn't call it a sandbox, though, more of an open-ended war campaign that generates skirmishes based on the latest kills each side made.

Free, too. Not 100% bug free, but worth a peek. I blather on about it on my lovely blog here: http://drfrog.wordpress.com/2012/02/06/starshatter/

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

A.C. posted:

Can someone recommend some co-op games for 2-3 players that are easy to play?
My friend just got his first gaming PC and we're looking for games to play together but he is struggling with most of the games that we try because he's not really a gamer and he is really bad at video games. Anything where has has to take in a lot of information very quickly or that requires quick reaction times is giving him a hard time.

Games that have worked:
Magicka - We made it through the game and had fun but I think it was more frustrating than anything, because he never really accomplished anything except killing me and whenever I was dead it would take him like 5 minutes of walking in circles before he figured out how to resurrect me.
Endless Space/Civ 5 - Turn-based stuff seems to be easier and once he got over the initial learning curve these went pretty smoothly but his turns take a really, really long time which made it less fun for me.
Trine/2 - because who doesn't love Trine? He had fun but he was also pretty much incompetent through the game and never did anything on his own, he just kind of tagged along while I played through the game.
Portal 2

Games that didn't work:
Borderlands 2 - He died constantly and spent most of the playtime running back to where I was when I couldn't pick him up in time.
Dawn of War 2 - He had a hard time managing multiple units, and the way that units are assigned was causing us some problems (e.g. he would buy a bunch of units and they would just sit there for the entire map because he wouldn't select them)
Risk of Rain - was a little too hard for him on the easiest difficulty

Basically we are looking for "Baby's First Co-Op Videogame" kind of stuff. He's a smart guy but hilariously inept at playing video games (even though he's really in to it). He's extremely bad at reading on-screen text unless it's a big in-your-face popup that you can't ignore/skip and one of the biggest hurdles I have been getting over is getting him to figure out the controls for whatever game we're playing (because he doesn't read the on-screen indicators or whatever and doesn't have the experience playing games necessary to just sit down in a new game and know how to play it) so something with very simple/intuitive controls that are clearly and obviously explained in-game would be ideal. Back in the day (~13+ years ago) he used to play RTS (C&C and Total Annihilation) and Unreal Tournament games but I think whatever know-how or skill he had has entirely faded at this point. I don't think we really have any restrictions on genre, we just want things that are easy for someone who is a non-gamer while simultaneously fulfilling for 1-2 other players that are Good At Video Games.

I have a few friends that are very casual, even after playing co-op games for years. They like to shoot, and be shot at, but not get hit too often. The games that work best for them are those that allow you to fine-tune the difficulty. Here's what's worked for us (though I really wish we could branch out a drat bit, because my gently caress am I bored with manshooters):

- Counter Strike Source (bots are adjustable in their difficulty)
- IL-2 (custom scenarios and adjustable realism)
- Arma II (I hate this game and am thoroughly bored with it, but it's our mainstay because of how flexible it is to create your own scenarios)

Of the above, Arma II is probably the best at giving you what you need, while also allowing you to define roles that let your friend shine. For example, put yourself in as difficult a situation as you like, while putting him in armor to support you.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Love Stole the Day posted:

Remember the Commander function in Battlefield 2? I'd like to have an experience like that, except more modern because giving orders with the BF2 Commander interface was really bad.

I want to have a map with dots representing my teammates where I can select them and tell them where to go, then yell at everyone on the microphone about how they're pushing up our right side and 3 squad needs to rotate South to protect our spawn.

I heard Arma 3 has this kind of experience and can work well (my computer can handle it according to the sys reqs), but I've heard that the playercount isn't very good and that the number of mods have really split whatever community the game has. I could be wrong, but this is my impression of things.

Recommend me a game pls.

I've been sort of doing this in Arma 2. There's a mission called Patrol Ops 2, designed for multiplayer, and you can hire on AI soldiers and tell them what to do and where to go. You are limited to controlling 9 dudes total I believe. I've been having my team of friends (who do not coordinate well all the time) go into a mission and I stay back at base, loading up a few ground vehicles or CAS with AI, then I send them in as support if they need it. If you're out of line of sight, though, you have to rely on the map and your imagination to give them orders, there's no flying your camera over the battlefield or anything. You can, however, HALO drop somewhere near the action and get a visual that way. While joining in the action of course.

There's also a mode called "Warfare" which inserts RTS features into Arma, and a game called Carrier Command (same company, same clunky engine), designed for single player, which is much more of a hybrid RTS.

Also I would say that if you're looking for a great co-op RTS in general where you are constantly coordinating action, you might check out AI War: Fleet Command.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 12, 2014

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Makky posted:

This may be a bit of an odd suggestion, but I've been searching for games that let you observe a game between two or more AI opponents without having to interact with the game yourself. I know that you can usually accomplish this with fighting games and sports games, but I'm having trouble in the strategy/tactics genre. Are there any games that support things like this anymore?

There's Arma, which, with this happy little fella: http://plannedassault.com/, means that you don't even really have to plan the battles. There's even an "observer" position you can take, though what I've done to make sure the scripting turns out right is plant a civilian unit in the game with a hired pilot+helicopter and have him chauffeur me around while the battle rages.

There's also a game nearing release called The Last Federation (http://arcengames.com/w/index.php/tlf-features), in which you play the last of a mighty species in a planetary system full of aliens that are essentially playing a 4X with each other. Your master goal is to use political maneuvering and war to get them to form a lasting federation of planets, but you can also just turn them against each other and watch the bloodshed, or just leave it running and let nature take its course.

There's also DEFCON, aka, the best screensaver ever turned into a video game (not literally).

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 12, 2014

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

MooCowlian posted:

I'm looking for an RPG with a big, varied world, preferably not of the jrpg variety, on PC. I'm looking for breadth more than depth, so I'm not too fussed about the latest AAA graphics or min-maxing a thousand stats. As long as the graphics and systems aren't really fighting me, it's probably okay. I don't really mind whether the variety comes from plot twists, graphics, character/worldbuilding stuff, or whatever else, I just want something that doesn't get too samey but has a reasonable amount of stuff to wander around and see/do/steal.

A friend of mine who hates RPGs (describes them as "trollish," not in the Internet Troll sense, but sort of lumping all fantasy creatures into a single disdainful expression) really liked just wandering around in Two Worlds, said there was a bunch of variety in locale, quests, and he was able enjoy the aspects he liked, and easily ignore all the stuff he didn't give a poo poo about.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Regarding Starshatter: Check out my lovely blog's writeup of it here: http://drfrog.wordpress.com/2012/02/06/starshatter/

Or just download the thing. It's good verging on pretty good, and some extra attention (plus functional co-op multiplayer) would have made it great.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm looking for a coffee break strategy or simulation game with a few twists:
  • the game runs continually in the background, or time passes slowly within the game. Maybe it checks the system clock to fake the passage of time. It's not turn-based.
  • I can check in infrequently to see how things are going, and make a few tweaks here and there, or even react to a catastrophic situation. Something that requires minor "course correction" than "radical recombination of 1000 interacting systems."
  • low system requirements, to run on an office computer or laptop
  • single player
  • no DRM of any kind, as this will run off of a flash drive that I take with me from place to place

Games that I've played that are like this are Neptune's Kingdom (which is versus only), DEFCON (in 8 hour mode, but has DRM), AI War (slowed way down), SimCity 2000, and OpenTTD. I'm not interested in Dwarf Fortress or anything else that requires continuous babysitting and fiddling. A really slow and automated Elite-like might fill the bill as well, but would still have to be light on resources and DRM-free.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 22, 2014

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Sensible World of Soccer has a management aspect, and I think you can just let the PC play the main game, while you manage the team behind the scenes. It's fairly light from that standpoint.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Just go to the Steam store, browse the RPG section, sort by highest price, and buy the twenty most expensive RPGs you can find, and all the DLC for every title. Should be a dragon or two in there.

Just play Two Worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Search doesn't seem to be working on the forums, so does anyone have anything to say about Xenonauts, which recently hit 1.0? Been waiting for it to happen forever.