Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Roflan posted:

Might and Magic 6 was just released on GoG: http://www.gog.com/en/frontpage/. It's a FPS RPG. Plus it includes M&M 1-5.

Also, OP, I wouldn't worry about how "fantasy" it seems - it's intentional, at least in the later games; somewhere along the line the entire Might and Magic series became parody. (Might've been from the start, but I haven't played the first two.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Corridor posted:

I also said in the OP that multi player-characters annoy me unless they have real personality. I think M&M are all player-generated? Bah.

Yeah, but you really don't manage them as individuals much, especially as you get into higher levels and everyone starts developing at least rudimentary spellcasting. Think of it less as a party and more as an insane adventurer with four split personalities.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Faerie Fortune posted:

I don't care about the newest and shiniest games, I will play a text based adventure from 1972 if it's good fun. I just want it to be immersive, fun and most importantly, easy to just pick up and play whenever I feel like it.

I've played Fallout 3 and Oblivion lately (both heavily modded) but I tend not to prefer the first person RPG style, I enjoy the isometric top down views of things like Baldur's Gate 2 (which I still haven't beaten - the first dungeon puts me off every time) the first Neverwinter Nights which I still play from time to time, and Dungeon Siege. I tried to play the Dark Spire but embarrassingly I got stuck at a locked door about five minutes into the game which is a shame because I've heard wonderful things about it.

Any takers?

Somebody already mentioned Arcanum, but they may have missed an even more obvious question: Have you played Fallout 1 or 2?

If not, definitely check them out. Anything you enjoyed about Fallout 3 other than the graphics or shooter elements, these games do many times better.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Bluetooth human being posted:

Shadowrun looks like it could be cool. I've tried the SNES version, but had no idea what to do. I might have to try the genesis version.

They are completely different games, and the Genesis version is worlds ahead of the SNES one in just about every way.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Jinnigan posted:

I'm at my parents for another couple of days. Can someone recommend a well-written RPG that I can beat in about two days, for an older PC?

You've probably already played it, but how about the original Fallout?

Very well-written, not as long as Torment or Arcanum, should run on just about anything hardware-wise. (Although compatability can be an issue.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

bleh654321 posted:

So far all I've come across is Blue Wish Resurrection, which was pretty good and freeware to boot. Are there any gems I'm missing out on?

Get Blue Wish Resurrection Plus, it adds a few more ships and some other goodies.

Also, Cho Ren Sha 68k is a personal favorite of mine, although it can be a little weird on multi-core processors.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Xenopax posted:

Games that I loved were Ultima V, Dark Queen of Krynn, and other games in those genres. Is there anything like that out there these days?

Dragon Age Origins is party-based and coming out very shortly. I'm not certain about user-created, though, it might only let you design one of them.

After that it depends on how recent you mean; Icewind Dale has an entirely user-created party by default, and Baldur's Gate II can have one if you use a workaround. (Although you miss out on all the NPC party members that way.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I wanna play a game with randomised/procedurally generated levels/content that isn't a roguelike/dungeon crawler, or Spelunky, or Elite. Basically, I wanna see if anyone's taken the concept of randomised levels and applied it to something that relies more on skill and less on random drops or sta spreadsheets or whatever. It'd be nice if the randomly-created levels were actually fun, too, but this is more an intellectual exercise than anything else so just gimme what you've got.

I don't know where you got the idea that roguelikes aren't about skill, but that said, maybe try a strategy game with random map generation, like Civ 4 or Alpha Centauri?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Tesla333 posted:

I'm gonna join in with the "I NEED A GAME" crowd here. I guess I'll just list the stuff I'm looking for.

- MMO, preferably RPG but that's not a big deal
- Low system requirements, I'm on a laptop with a 1.4Ghz processor and only onboard graphics
- Goon presence, Not a deal-breaker, but I have been combing the Games forum for a game I'd like

That's it, really. I thought it'd be longer, but anyway, I've found HellMOO and Dragonica already. I've already played Maple Story, and Runescape doesn't run well on this computer. So far it seems that HellMOO is my best bet, but I'm not experienced with text-based MMOs. That's a bit daunting.

Maybe Air Rivals? I think it still has an active goon presence, the last time I played they had a voting majority in their nation (there are two nations in the game) and basically went around electing goons to positions of authority and making the other side miserable.

It's grindy as anything, but by free Korean MMO standards the gameplay is decent.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I'm looking for a free or very cheap way to play multiplayer Mahjong, by the traditional rules, with a mix of human players and bots. What are my options, and does anything in particular stand out as the best?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I'm looking for a turn-based strategy game with fixed starting armies -- no income or unit production -- with two-person, asynchronous multiplayer (i.e. upload turn files to a central server or play by email -- both people don't have to be connected at once.)

I was thinking of picking up Elven Legacy, but it looks like it only has hotseat multiplayer. Something similar would be great, though.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Shab posted:

Check out Mode 7's games, Frozen Synapse and Frozen Cortex. They are different in theme (gun-play and football, respectively) but they both fit the bill of what you're describing.

How close to complete/release-ready is Frozen Cortex? It's very tempting but I don't really care for Early Access much.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Shab posted:

It's a pretty straightforward game and the core is there and very solid--matchmaking, stats and leaderboards, replays, a few different gametypes. I picked it up about 6 months ago when it first released to Early Access (under the name Frozen Endzone; they changed it to downplay any connections to American football, which it is not) and it was extremely playable and fun, albeit fairly simple. They've since patched in stats for individual players and some more bells and whistles so I imagine it's pretty close to a release state, but I haven't played it lately to check out the changes myself.

Thanks, we'll probably go with this.

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Chess, it's a classic.

If my opponent wanted to play Chess I wouldn't be asking you nerds for recommendations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

ZombieLenin posted:

I am assuming PC? How do you feel about historical "hardcore" war gaming? If you're open to that I can think of a dozen titles you might want to look at depending on your preference.

Check out Matrix. They're probably the largest online publisher/digital distributor of war games for PC out there. They have hundreds of titles with varying degrees of complexity, and you can search titles by the historical time period you're in to.

Or you can give me some more info, like are you willing to play historical games? More interest in strategy or tactics? What time period? Etc. and I can recommend something.

I've got nothing against historical wargaming in theory, but I'm a very stubborn ludist. I hate games where design decisions were made with realism or simulation in mind rather than balance and depth.

I'm more interested in tactics than strategy, prefer something that's mostly about positioning with a little bit of math to something with a lot of math and only a little emphasis on positioning, fantasy/sci-fi settings preferred but ultimately doesn't matter, and it'd really help sell it to my friend if it were visually interesting. (But tell me even if it isn't because I might play it anyways.)

Something with a small number of unique and complicated units would be best -- we tried Aerena but the F2P model was too offensive to stick with it, and I'm looking forward to Duelyst. Frozen Cortex was a great suggestion, but something that plays on a grid would be even better.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 1, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I wouldn't call either Prototype a "deep" game, but the first one had vastly better controls, at least on PC.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Sam. posted:

What are some good games about politics?

Crusader Kings 2 is a pretty good game about doing political things, but less so if you mean "with a message about politics" or "about contemporary politics."

You can change laws, plot to weaken your vassals if you're a ruler or your liege if you're a vassal, bribe people for all kinds of purposes, forge marriage alliances, convert religions, hold public events; really the core mechanic of the entire game is "how much do other important people like or hate me, and why" and everything else flows from that.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Leper Residue posted:

Speaking of, if you're into atmosphere keep an eye out for there uh, remake, of Pathologic that is due next year.

Wait, this is actually happening? I hadn't heard a peep in years, the forums looked abandoned last time I checked -- I assumed the project was dead.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

SquadronROE posted:

I played the first STALKER and Bioshock 1/2. Worth playing any of the other STALKERs?

Call of Pripyat is pretty good. It's less buggy and a little more freeform than the first game, but it's also much easier and has far less of a horror element.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Divine Divinity is also pretty similar but its turn based.

Divine Divinity isn't turn-based, it's a Diablo clone. You might be thinking of Divinity: Original Sin, or maybe one of the other games in the franchise.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I would say play Bloodline Champions, but I'm pretty sure there are only 50 people left on Earth still playing it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

Tome4 for sure, but I am also looking for this.

(Diablo 2 can be nice.)

Make sure you use the Eternal Darkness mod, I'm pretty sure whoever designed the base game Necromancer got jilted by a skeleton or something. (You can still do some pretty cool stuff without it but you have to invest tons of skill points just to get access to features that should been turned on by default from level one.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Angry Lobster posted:

I'm itching for a good turn-based strategy game, I own a fair steam and GoG library. Recommendations? I own Civ III, IV and V, but I doubt I can run V, and I detest IV's unit stack combat, is III worth a try?

All Civ games have stack-based combat except V, if you really hate it that much it's not the series for you.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I was looking through my Steam library the other day and realized that almost every game I have is either competitive, or very unforgiving / high-energy singleplayer.

So what's a game you find relaxing, but not completely mindless or repetitive? Playing Minecraft on peaceful is the general kind of experience I'm looking for, but that's just an example, it doesn't need to be the same genre or anything.

If it has co-op that would be even better but it's not essential.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

I find The Void relaxing, but probably your first few games are going to be very tense, because you won't know what the gently caress is happening and how to avoid dying.

I played and completed The Void before they rebalanced color management to make it easier; I don't think I'll ever find that game relaxing. :v:

It has been a very long time since I messed around with city builders, though, I think I'll explore in that direction. Thanks guys.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The Void isn't that hard any more, they patched it to make resource management easier after getting a lot of complaints at release. Just keep in mind that maintaining a balance of each color is the primary challenge of the game and not an afterthought and you'll be fine.

It's also really good.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This isn't exactly correct - the base game is as hard as it ever was, but they released optional patches you can download from their website to make it easier (there's an "easy" and "medium" difficulty patch, with the base game being considered "hard"). If you just play the game right off Steam or wherever, you're still playing the hard version.

Are you sure it's not both? I never downloaded the optional patches but I could have sworn there was something they changed really early on that made it easier; maybe a bug they fixed rather than a balance patch?

If not, then I still suggest just playing it on the default difficulty, it's a game of resource management and it's thematically about starvation and loss and the two are meant to complement each other.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

pumpinglemma posted:

Can anyone recommend a good PC turn-based strategy title for my dad? Specifically I'm looking for something in the mould of Advance Wars or the old Battle Isle games, where the emphasis is on tactics and there's little to no civilisation-building. (I've already picked up Endless Legend for him, so he'll have something to scratch that itch already...) I know Panzer Corps is meant to be excellent, but I'm not sure he'd be entirely comfortable playing as the Nazis.

Battle For Wesnoth is pretty good, especially for a free title. Sadly the combat is adjacent-hex-only instead of having variable ranges like Advance Wars, but you mention Panzer Corps so I guess that can't be too much of a problem.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

MrBims posted:

I'm looking for a story-focused game of any genre where you and your party take some big hits during the course of the game - not like Fantal Fantasy 7 schlock where everyone comes together to beat the bad guy with the power of love, but more where you learn things about yourself and each other that people wish they hadn't, and getting to the end was a journey through hell that sacrificed the life, limb or emotional wellbeing of the characters. Games like Spec Ops Or Planescape: Torment or the better Metal Gear games, but older or not so well-known. I'm open to translated Japanese games, which I'm thinking might be where to look for my next depressing thing to play, though I've already tried most of the Megami Tensei games.

It isn't as text-heavy as most of those, but maybe try The Void? You could also attempt Pathologic, but I would wait until the retranslation project is done (if it isn't already?) before trying that.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Is running a party in Wasteland 2 pretty much mandatory, then? I never used companions in Fallout 1 / 2, apart from Dogmeat once in a while.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I'm looking for a 4X (preferably fantasy-themed, but I'm open to anything) game with snappy, adjustable animation speeds and a very clear, simple visual style. I tried Age of Wonders III and Endless Legend and both are sluggish and too visually busy -- they could be amazing games from a mechanical standpoint and it would still feel like a chore to play them. On the other hand it'd be nice if it were something made in the past five years or so, I've already played most well-known 4X games from the nineties and early 2000s, plus a lot of older games in that genre don't play nicely with modern resolutions.

If it's something older but relatively obscure that's worth a shot, but I am absolutely not interested in anything real-time with pause, or anything with the words "Total War" in the title.

e: As an example, if Battle For Wesnoth had in-depth city building and were anywhere from a little bit to much less focused on combat, it would be perfect.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 27, 2015

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I've played quite a bit of Dominions, but I'll give wizardgame a shot, thanks!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I miss when FPSes didn't have reloading, iron sights, muzzle sway, or recoil on anything smaller than a rocket launcher at all.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

the dominions wiki is full of misinformation written by enthusiastic morons and people who've only ever played in a small pond. no concise guides exist, you basically just have to find one of the dozen or so people in the whole world who actually know how to play the game well, pick their brains on IRC, and play dozens of games (in a series where a single game can take months) until you start to improve

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

yeah i know for some people that's a positive. it's not for me but I didn't mean to speak ill of the game (which is great on its own merits and the kind of thing that only an indie studio could make), just the state of available strategy and information

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Evilreaver posted:

I need a game where you spend most of the time barely scraping by, supplies bleeding out, but if you play well and the RNG rolls well (ideally more of the former than latter) you can find yourself turned into an unstoppable killing machine. Think of FTL when you get 3 or 4 burst lasers with a preigniter :supaburn:

You might enjoy Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead, if you aren't sick of zombies.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Tagra posted:

"Roguelike RPG" needs to become a more prevalent genre. One of the things people love about XCom is building up their soldiers and getting attached to them only to have something horrible happen. Why aren't more roguelikes like that :argh:

That's exactly what roguelikes do. They are a turn-based RPG genre by definition. You build up your (one) character, and then something horrible usually happens to them.

I am really confused by what you and that other guy are talking about.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

They are talking about Jrpg style combat

There are a lot of things they could be talking about, but the posts do not make them explicitly clear. That's why I'm asking before I make any recommendations!

Like my best guess would have been that he wanted something with a move + action budget (like D&D or Fire Emblem) instead of something on the "one step per turn" system that roguelikes use, but you guys each came up with something completely different.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 23, 2015

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I'm still used to thinking of The Witcher as "that lovely repackaged NWN mod with collectible cards of all the women you've banged and combat consisting entirely of QTEs."

It's a deep hole to climb out of.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

dongsweep posted:

Can anyone recommend a good multiplayer or MMO game that rewards winning in PVP and more importantly punishes for losing? Group of friends loved UO and the looting aspect of it, also the non-consensual PVP. It looks like FPS's are our only choice? I can think of ARMA 3 multiplayer mods, DayZ, and ARK but not a lot of interest in those sadly.

Any ideas?

You could play EVE Online. It's not as bad a game as it used to be, but it's still idiosyncratic and sometimes outright backward in ways you wouldn't expect in 2015.

On the plus side, non-consensual PvP can happen anywhere, any time. There are safe zones, but they are "safe" only in the sense that unkillable NPC police come and blow up your ship in retaliation after you start shooting someone. With proper builds your opponent might already be dead by the time that happens, and there are organizations that push the envelope of this kind of PvP to the point where it's not just less expensive for you than the target, but even profitable.

Similarly, the penalty for losing a ship is... you lose your ship. The hull itself turns into a wreck that can be salvaged for damaged parts, and everything else has a roughly even chance of disappearing or turning into loot for whoever grabs it (not necessarily the people who killed you, if somebody else can steal it or blow it up first.) If that ship is something they weren't expecting to ever lose, like a dedicated PvE setup, that can be a huge setback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

kaesarsosei posted:

Doesn't have to BE the Punisher. But some ARPG like D3 but with guns, or a sci-fi setting would be great.

Hotline Miami isn't really an RPG but based on my limited knowledge of The Punisher it's probably a much closer tonal match than Marvel Heroes.

It's also a good game with a great soundtrack and it's only ten bucks even when it's not on sale (I think I got my copy in a Humble Indie Bundle) so you can't go too far wrong.