Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Expendable Henchman posted:

Are there any games set in the Maya/Inca world?

You travel to ancient Chichen Itza in the 2nd Journeyman Project game, but your interaction with the Mayan civilization is grossly limited, sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

What are some more good simulation games that you play as a dynasty? Other then the Guild 1/2 and Rome Total War. I want a game where I start with some people, then 200 years later I'm the ruler of the world and the great great great great great grandson of my original dude.

Gameplay wise, something more like Rome Total War, Civilization and the guild rather then Starcraft or Age of Empires (Economy civilization builder vs. hope you can build a big enough ball of troops before your opponent does)

If you're a fan of old games, check out Sword of the Samurai. You start off as a samurai trying to gain your daimyo's attention, but you aspire for your family to rule all of feudal Japan some day. It's definitely a dynasty game because you're unlikely to capture the country in a single lifetime, but your sons will take up your sword when you die/retire/have to kill yourself out of shame.

It's old, though, and shows its age in gameplay and graphics. I doubt anyone these days can fall in love with it, but it's still appreciable for its originality for its time.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Thwack! posted:

Well, I've finally pooled my money together to build myself a pretty good gaming PC, and I feel that I should use this badboy for some games. Is there any good current PC RPGs on the PC worth checking out?

Fallout: New Vegas is the obvious choice. You should also check out Dragon Age: Origins and maybe Alpha Protocol if you're into the choices and dialogs part of RPGs, but it's not recommended if you can't overlook some gameplay issues.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I'm really looking for a game with themes of survival and migration, like The Oregon Trail and Homeworld. Actual gameplay similarities to the two games aren't important, just the themes. Any ideas?

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Bouchacha posted:

I'm a mentor for this Iraqi refugee family (cue "awwwwww") and want to give the kids some computer games.

- 5 and 6 year old
- They have very limited English so far, so I'm hoping they'll learn something through this although mindless fun has its place.

Any suggestions?

Every child throughout the world should play Oregon Trail at some point. Maybe their English isn't there yet, but this should be an explicit goal.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
If you're into old school games, I recommend the 1989 abandonware Sword of the Samurai. You start out as a lowly samurai, dueling and conniving your way towards the shogunate. The gameplay and graphics are horribly outdated, especially if you're coming from Total War Shogun 2, but I prefer how much more personal your character is.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

PTizzle posted:

Her favourite games of all time are Thief 1/2, Settlers 2, Age of Empires 2, Caesar 3 and GTAIV.

Perhaps she might enjoy something from Tropico series? If she doesn't, have her jailed!

Leper Residue posted:

Can anyone recommend some real easy adventure games?

If you're willing to dip into interactive fiction, Photopia by Adam Cadre is a good, story-intensive, written adventure with few puzzles.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

My sister's SO's child saved up for a new computer. He wants to try something graphically intensive. But, alas, he is 9 years old so no Witcher 2 for him. In fact, no violent (i.e. high age rating) games at all.

This is not what your nephew is looking for, but I suspect it might be every grown-up's duty to introduce the youth to Oregon Trail. I'm not sure it's on school computers anymore, so this may be the only way the next generation of Americans know about dysentery.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Like Crusader Kings 2, are there any other games out there that truly let me scheme? That game's capacity to let me contrive and execute my own plots has impressed me. Do any other games come close?

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Besson posted:

Please give me any interesting game that has been labelled by nerds as 'pretentious'. I eat up games like Every Day the Same Dream, Kentucky Route Zero and The Cat and the Coup. I like weird, interesting games that go out on a limb to try and say something interesting and profound.

Welcome to the Rabbit Hole, friend.

Urdnot Fire is right. You're gonna love Cart Life. If you don't love Cart Life, play Half Life for 20 more years and then try Cart Life again. I'm also following Papers, Please, currently in playable beta. It's another monotony simulator with that wonderful drab pixel art.

I see you like adventure games. Well, have you tried their evolutionary ancestor, the Interactive Fiction? Now there's a niche place with lots of creative, quirky, insufferable minds working. Adam Cadre makes wonderful, contemporary IF games. His most artful one is probably Photopia. Emily Short is another prolific IF writer.

Thirty Flights of Loving is a very different take on the FPS formula. Here you won't find any radically experimental gameplay, but Brendon Chung is definitely playing around with the storytelling.

Cowboyana is the only thing from the Western genre I've ever enjoyed. Everything from Messhof comes from a clearly troubled mind.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Third-World banana republics are turning down my requests for cultural exchanges in Shadow President. Are there any more recent geopolitical simulators that will give me an even more exhilerating high as I punish these haughty rulers with my nuclear arms?

Caufman
May 7, 2007
MDickie's Wrestling MPire is the only wrestling game that ever needed to be made.

edit: beaten

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Walton Simons posted:

Also since I'm loving Driver San Francisco at the moment are there any good other good car chase/street race games around? Needs to be on PC, realism is nice but not necessary and same goes for good wheel support. I've played the GTA games. I'm tempted by the Need for Speeds Most Wanted and Hot Pursuit. Any good? Other suggestions are very welcome since the extreme rubberbanding in NFS mars the experience for me.

You won't believe it, but Euro Truck Simulator 2 is the most exciting driving game on the market. That it's going to have Occulus Rift support is icing on an already tasty cake.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Liberatore posted:

It might not be to your liking, but The Guild 2 is pretty good at that. You start as a bandit, thief, blacksmith, tailor, etc who just settled in a city.

I've only played The Guild 2, which is mired with rough edges that drag down its unique gameplay. Though I haven't tried it myself, I'm told the first Guild is actually a better overall experience.

My recommendation for rags-to-riches is Crusader Kings 2. Don't let that large strategic map of Europe fool you; CK2 is thoroughly a character-driven RPG. You're not playing a country, you're playing a feudal lord, dealing with the vast and complex social network of medieval Europe as you try to keep your family in power. The progress curve in CK2 is not linear. You're not guaranteed to go from count to king; it takes planning, patience and luck, and even with all three you're still going to get boom-and-bust cycles in your multi-generational reign. Best part, CK2 is still actively played on these forums, so you'll have plenty of people to ask questions and discuss strategy.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

HonorableTB posted:

I'm looking for a city builder or a business simulator. I eat those games up, and I need more! I own: Democracy 2, Democracy 3 (I also love political sims), Political Simulator 2012, SimCity 4, Game Dev Tycoon, and GameBiz 3. I'm looking for something like Capitalism 2 but not so ancient that it runs and looks like soggy rear end on a modern machine. Can anyone help me out?

Law posted:

Alright so I've been playing a lot of Tropico 4 lately and basically I'm looking for more games where I can impose my bullshit political beliefs on people. I've also played a bunch of Democracy 3 which is great fun.

Roach Warehouse posted:

This is probably a longshot, but how about a game that's basically The West Wing? I like the idea of a government sim, but economic management and the like makes my eyes glaze over, I just want to deal with crises and rule on issues of the day.

I have been waiting for someone to make a game like The West Wing, but I think all three of you should check out Fate of the World, if you haven't. I can't recommend the game for entertainment (it has a slew of gameplay problems), but it's a compelling entry in the too-thin list of politically-oriented games.

What I'm really hungry for is a game that doesn't just focus on policy but also on process. The closest thing might be the old DOS game, Shadow President which does feature interaction with members of the President's cabinet and staff, but they're essentially just a set of options menu except for when they resign over gross recklessness.

edit: I just thought of another great oldie political game: Hidden Agenda. The player is the newly elected president of a Latin American country that has just had a revolution. Almost all of the gameplay is the player meeting with politicians, diplomats and citizens that represent the various stakes in the country, and enacting policy based on the advice of the President's cabinet. Hidden Agenda was one of those games that I'm surprised didn't develop a genre onto itself. The things modern computers could do to a game with the philosophy of Hidden Agenda, ah... a sweet only-if.

Caufman fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Feb 8, 2014

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Bouchacha posted:

Banished is super super difficult based on the RPS Review

It has a worse problem: it's not all that much interesting once you get the survival down.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Apple2o posted:

Some kind of city-builder / survival game. Akin to dwarf fortress but maybe with graphics of some sort.

Banished is billed exactly as a city-builder/survival game, but it does suffer from a bit of shallowness in its current state.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

I'm looking for two completely unrelated recommendations for PC.

First, I'm interested in a game that has the player trying to survive in a warzone without fighting. Something like Warco (if the developer hadn't folded) or Far Cry 3 when you wander around with no weapons. Preferably an FPS but other genres might be cool too, can anyone recommend something?

Secondly, are there any recent-ish AAA games that are played entirely without the mouse? I haven't been able to think of a single example, wondering if there are any out there at all.

I think if you're not going to use a controller to play NBA 2Kwhatever, you're supposed to have both hands on the keyboard. But if you're not going to use a controller, you'll lose every match, miss every shot, and have no reason to live.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I'm not sure you're going to do better than Sid Meier's Pirates! or AC: Black Flag, both games you probably already know about.

Tropico 2 has some bitter flaws, and God help you with its logistics problems, but I've also never played a game quite like it where you play as the governor of a pirate island.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Leper Residue posted:

Cherry High Comedy Club is kind of like it, but more focus on comedy, less horrible death.

My God, how have I only heard of this game now?

Caufman
May 7, 2007

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Are there any games like FTL or Battleships Forever for naval battles?

Oh, perhaps Leviathan: Warships will scratch your fancy. Helps if you also like smooth jazz.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Cheaper than a real boat.

You boat-er believe it.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
You might get some joy out of the ballistic physics from Sniper Elite, but at least with the first two games, the stealth is far more half-baked than Dishonored and far less open than Far Cry 3. I have not tried Sniper Elite 3.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
If old is what you're looking for, have you tried Beneath a Steel Sky for a moodier, cyberpunk feel?

And of course there is Hopkins FBI which is culturally significant the way Plan 9 might be.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Springly posted:

Great, thanks everyone. There's a lot in there that I haven't played, I'll go check them allout. Beneath a Steel Sky looks really good.

Thought of another one: Blade Runner the adventure game has aged disgracefully and will take a miracle to get running, but boy did it have an ambitiously open and randomized narrative. Blade Runner was made at a time when adventure games were still being adventurous with their genre.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Jinkeez posted:

I am pretty sure the only modern mafia-based strategy game is Omerta: City of Gangsters, and even that is a few years old.

It is a missed opportunity and a shame that there hasn't been a worthy followup to Gangsters, although Liberal Crime Squad is an excellent alternate take on organized crime.

Crusader Kings 2 also scratches a similar itch to think about power politics and relationships.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
What are some unusual roguelikes that I might have missed over the years? I'm not super interested in going down a dungeon, but Liberal Crime Squad or Armoured Commander caught my attention, as well as survival roguelikes like UnReal World, Neo Scavanger and Cataclysm.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
You may want to look at After the Empire. The setting and premise sound like what you're wanting.

You are a powerful AI in a galaxy where the organic lifeforms have ascended to a higher plane, leaving their many machine servants behind. After an indeterminant amount of time, the machines discover a signal which ensouls them. They quickly become interested in defining their own religions and cultures. Some of these interpretations are diametrically opposed to others, leading to a galactic war of philosophies. The machine empires fight one another with warships, cyber warfare, and persuasive rhetoric.

As you can tell from the screenshot, After the Empire plays more like a 4X game than Endgame or Pandemic. It does not have the secrecy that Pandemic and Endgame do, which is a legit dealbreaker. You'll be deciding on resources and fleet movements a lot. Really, I found the neatest part to be the empire customization that lets you choose your machines' religion and culture. For that alone, it's worth a refundable 2-hour run on Steam.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Have you played UnReal World? It's like C:DDA, but even darker because it takes place in Finland.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Lorini posted:

Prey vs Nier:Automata. Which is easier?

Prey is very scary!

Caufman
May 7, 2007
It's at least a little bit like Dungeon Keeper and Settlers, even if the setting is very different. RImworld has resource gathering and supply chains like Settlers, and it has base building and hostile neighbors like DK.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Sammus posted:

Are there any good, modern clones of the Close Combat series?

Have you looked at Steel Division? It's definitely not a clone of Close Combat, but it adheres to many of the same principles of morale and combined arms.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I feel like playing a Dead Rising game. Where should I start, or are there other similar games that are better?

Against conventional wisdom, and if you have the disposable income, I suggest you play the most recent Dead Rising game first. It's arguably the weakest in the series, which means if you play it first, you won't be disappointed, not having played the earlier, better incarnations.

I agree that 2/Off the Record are the best in class.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
A lot of people like Brigador, but in truth the zoomed out isometric perspective took a chunk of the big stompy fun factor for me.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

I loved the humor in Bulletstorm, and the parts of Wolfenstein that are meant to be funny, I also liked Shadow Warrior, and Bad Company 1/2, are there any other first person shooters / super action-y games that have awesome feel good stories like that that make you laugh while you play and have big rear end set pieces and cool things to fight with or against?

Saints Row 4 is not an FPS, but it is super actiony, funny, and fun. It's all about having an over the top good time.

edit: Aside from the Full Spectrum Warrior series, have there been any worthy platoon-size military games? I like Steel Division, but its AO is bigger that I can manage.

Caufman fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jul 5, 2017

Caufman
May 7, 2007

HairyManling posted:

I'm looking for something to coop with my daughter that I can get through PSN. We've played BroForce and Nuclear Throne that we both liked - so something like that that's easy to drop in. She's nine though, so NT was a little too tough for her. Any recommendations?

I'm not familiar with PSN, but is Overcooked available for it? It's fast-paced action without violence, great for all ages.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
There's a classic strategy RPG from Sid Meier called Sword of the Samurai. It's aged plenty, but it's a golden oldie for sure.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Guavatin posted:

I'm looking to fill the void of open world games in my life. Would Ghost Recon Wildlands be worth playing single player?

I tried it and returned it for a full refund. It's a big map, but not especially interesting. You can always give it a shot on Steam, and if you don't like it, you can return it as long as you don't play over two hours.

For a unique city experience, the Hong Kong in Sleeping Dogs is much more fun than the endless jungles of Wildlands.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Is Endless Space 2 worth playing if I'm already in love with Stellaris?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Recommend me some games, folks. Any genre. Please just add a reason or two why you'd recommend it.

Obscurer games work better, of course. No one needs to repost something that's been said in the last few pages.