Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Corridor posted:

Deus Ex can kiss my rear end. :colbert: It's a bit more modern than I was looking for anyway (same goes for Vampire Masquerade and Oblivion, technically AF is too but I'll make an allowance).

What are you, insane? I can only hope you played the poo poo out of these games you mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

al-azad posted:

While you don't talk to anyone outside of cut scenes, Realms of the Haunting is a Cthulhu inspired horror adventure game with some devious puzzles and awesome weapons. Really atmospheric game and probably the only non-Command and Conquer game I've played with real actors in the FMVs that isn't totally campy.

You're the only person I've met who've played this as well. It was a great game, great world and the athmosphere scared the poo poo out of my 12 year old self.

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Jetsetlemming posted:

Gothic, maybe? It has that same feel of an isolated community stuck with itself that evolves and changes as the plot moves forward. It's set in a dark fantasy prison colony, where a magical barrier was put up so nothing that goes in can come out (except dead and non-living things because it's also a mining colony). The prisoners have taken over and make demands of the kingdom for supplies and luxury items in return for the mined ore. Anyone who commits any crime in the kingdom is sentenced to life in this prison becuase the need for more miners and ore is great, as the kingdom's fighting a losing war with invading orks.

You play as a new prisoner who makes it his goal to find a way to bring down the barrier and escape. Along the way you get fully ingrained with the society's different aspects and can choose to join one faction or the other and play them off one another, and as you progress things can change, people can die or betray you, etc, just like Pathologic.

Yeah, Gothic is a pretty good action/RPG/adventure game. Gothic 2 is good as well, although the setting isn't as interesting as Gothic 1.

But stay away from everything named Gothic besides this two games. Gothic 3 is bad, Gothic 4 is pure crap.

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Jetsetlemming posted:

Gothic 4? Is that out yet? I know Jowood is making a Gothic without Piranha bytes (Who are making a new IP with a similar design called Risen, about being shipwrecked on a magical island or something like that), and Jowood internally developed games tend to be completely awful, but I haven't heard any actual news one way or the other about Gothic 4.

Sorry, I meant Gothic 3 plus the addon (Gothic 3.5 if you will). The original Gothic 3 had an horrendous amount of bugs that made it virtually unplayable. Like missing crucial quest items, flying wolfes and no female models in the entire game(!).

There were only a handful of females in Gothic 1 but that made sense since it was supposed to be a mining colony for male criminals.

Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods is even more (Gothic 3.5) wasn't developed by Piranha Bytes but some cheap rear end Indian Studio and is unplayable as well. It's even got typos on the box and booklet.

Jowood officially ran this brand into the ground.

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

doctor iono posted:

poo poo, I knew I was missing something. I've played Silent Hill - well, 2 and 3. How worth it are 4 and 5?

And thanks for the Dead Space recommendation, I somehow forgot about that.

No, Silent Hill 2 and 3 really are the best of the series.

While not beeing really scary, Resident Evil 4 is a fun spooky game for the PC. And with a gamepad it's playable quite good.

edit: Oh and if you really would like to know how an unexperienced, nameless marine who fights an overwhelmingly powerful enemy, and usually dies in the first 5 minutes of an action movie feels - then play the Marine Campaign of AVP1.

Play as Alien or Predator and this game is a fun FPS.

Play as marine and it's a survival horror shooter.

Onkel Hedwig fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 9, 2009

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Jetsetlemming posted:

IMO, AVP2 isn't nearly as scary as AVP1. They try to have more of a story, and there are more non-hostile NPCs (I can't really remember the first game having any at all actually), so it's got a whole different atmosphere.

Both are AVP1 and 2 are great games, but AVP1 had a different athmosphere.
Play as Alien: Creepy (crawl through tunnels and pierce human heads from above.
Play as Predator: Stealth-Shooter (Become invisible, shoot humans or gore them on your spear
Play as Marine: Horror (Run for your life / don't die)

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

doctor iono posted:

I guess I'm alternating between obscure and general requests here.

What are some games where you start off with nothing, and you truly have to figure out everything for yourself - not just the game mechanics, but I mean the setting, how the world works, etc.

I always loved that about the Myst series - you had to do some serious, large-scale thinking and really figure out the world around you, instead of just solving lame puzzles.

:( Is there even anything like this?

Notrium is a survival adventure game where you have to figure out lots of stuff by yourself. Not to the extent of Myth, but it's important stuff like where to find food, shelter and what makeshift items you can build out of spare parts. Also you need to do learn fast, otherwise you die.

From the HP:

quote:

You have crash-landed on planet Notrium. Your food supplies are running low, a pack of predatory aliens have got your scent. There are no more bullets for your pistol, your only weapon a handful of rocks. The night is coming, and you are desperately looking for wood to make a fire. Notrium is a game of Survival, Exploration and Action

An integral part of the game is finding enough food and supplies to survive through the cold, dark nights.

Exploring the alien ruins and bases you can find various items, which can be combined to make weapons and equipment.

Most of Notrium’s inhabitants are not happy to see you. You can try getting past your enemies quietly, but often you will need either fast legs or a sharp aim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

windsor posted:

Or a web-based MMO or RPG with a daily turn limit?

"Quarantine 2019 is a browser-based zombie apocalypse multiplayer game where citizens and zombies fight to gain control of the quarantined city."

http://quarantine2019.com/

I've played a couple of rounds in the beta. Your character regenerates Action Points (or energy, i dont know) per hour that you can spend to move, fight, search for supplies, etc. Eventually you'll become a zombie yourself, then you can spend your AP to hunt and bite other players :P