Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Frankosity posted:

Can anyone recommend some good retro action-platformer games? I'm already intimately familiar with the classics, e.g. Contra, Megaman, Castlevania, Metroid and I'm looking for something similiar. I've already played Cave Story a million times, before anyone brings that up, and I'm aware of La-Mulana.

Have you ever heard of Spelunky? It's like if La-Mulana were a graphical roguelike, complete with randomly generated levels, permadeath, hidden information up the wazoo, and an absurd difficulty that exceeds that of most of the major roguelikes.

beaten by 3 minutes

quote:

from the guy who did Cave Story

What? No it's not. Derek Yu did Eternal Daughter, I'M O.K., and Aquaria, not Cave Story.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 12, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

GyverMac posted:

Hm I checked this game up on Google,and its looks neat! Thanks for the suggestion.

Yeah i forgot to add the DOW games on the list over games ive tried. But you were right tho, they were right up my alley. Except DOW 2, it felt like a stripped down version of the previous DOW games. So stay away from that one unless you are a hardcore fan.

This is wrong. You are wrong.

To clarify for people who might be interested in less conventional RTSes, whereas Dawn of War 1 and expansions are more conventional StarCraft-like RTSes where you build bases, expand to take resources around the map, and build armies of expendable units to use in large battles, Dawn of War 2 is what happens when you take Company of Heroes, set it 38 thousand years in the future, remove the majority of base building, give every unit powerful abilities that can wipe out armies if used properly, and remove turtling and any kind of defensive measures beyond ambushes, mines, turrets and set-up weapons. DoW 2 is a much more aggressive and focus-intensive RTS than DoW 1, where you will never spend more than 30 seconds without being engaged in combat, and leaving units to fend for themselves without micromanagement can get them annihilated within seconds. DoW 2 places much more emphasis on using what little you have to achieve more than what should be possible, and battles will be won or lost by tactical maneuvering and game-changing abilities used at critical junctures, rather than by out-zerging your opponent with half a dozen tanks and a dozen squads of marines.

I much prefer DoW 2 over the first games, but it certainly is not for everyone; multiplayer is really user-unfriendly, not because of the community, but because it is very easy to lose everything and never recover because you don't know what you are doing.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Rocketlex posted:

As for me, I've had an inexplicable hankering for a good JRPG on the DS, something to keep me occupied during a five-hour plane trip across the country. I've played and enjoyed Final Fantasy Tactics A2 and both of the Mario & Luigi games, and much as I love Pokemon I think Diamond is enough for me for now (so no HeartGold).

I've had a few I've been eying (most notably Disgaea DS) but I'd love to hear some suggestions.

The World Ends With You and Strange Journey are solid JRPGs, with TWEWY focusing more on active combat and story-telling, and Strange Journey being more of a Pokemon-like dungeon crawler with a bit of a difficulty curve that can be frustrating without an occasional look at a walkthrough. You got a couple ports of older games, like Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest 4/5 and FF4, which may also be what you are looking for. Other than those, Disgaea, and maybe Fire Emblem, I'm afraid there aren't very many more JRPGs on the DS that are really worth playing. A bunch of them, like Infinite Space or Etrian Odyssey, have really big problems with grinding, unbalanced combat, or just aren't particularly notable. They'll have their defenders, but you can't go wrong with my suggestions.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Verty3 posted:

Just finished replaying System Shock 2, and was reminded of how good it is and how much better than the Bioshocks it is.

What comes close to being as atmospheric as System Shock 2? Anything?

Dead Space. It basically is System Shock 2, modernized and without some of the weaker points like hacking or degradation, though the characters and records aren't as memorable and the game is more linear.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

0staf posted:

I've been replaying old adventure games (some i played when i was a kid, a couple i didn't), and was wondering if there are any i've missed. I've played the space quest(s), kings quest(s), monkey island(s), police quest(s), sam and max, full throttle, leisure suit larry, maniac mansion, laura bow, beneath a steel sky, day of the tentacle, zak mckraken, loom, gabriel knight and indana jones.

The entirety of the Quest for Glory series are goon favorites. Imagine if King's Quest had statistics relating to fighting, lockpicking, spells, etc. that determine whether or not various paths are open to you, along with a kind of Punchout-like battle system. If the idea of that scares you, it isn't normally required, and I think it is done incredibly well. This is a slightly spoilerish (not in any meaningful way though) video of a 'boss fight' that exemplifies the way it combines genres.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

rizuhbull posted:

I'm not into MMOs, but I did play Fallen Earth for awhile before it went f2p and quite enjoyed it. The manual single-player like fighting, simple to learn but complex crafting system and not strictly fantasy atmosphere are what compelled me to it.

What other MMOs are like this? The combat system being the most important to me. I'm looking for something that isn't just a numbers grind. Aiming, combos and dodges would be nice.

I've already tried DCUniverseOnline. The Secret World's setting is super appealing, but the rest of the game looks meh. I Think Tera might be something I'm looking for, but all I've really gathered from it is the lolis. Guild Wars 2 is super hyped, but I don't know what's so great about it. Enlighten me?

Guild Wars 2 has a large focus on player vs player combat (in addition to fully fledged storylines that can be played solo or with friends), both in small scale tournament settings and persistent server vs server PvP with territory. There is a cap on character advancement such that each character will inevitably get to a tier where itemization is based more around building the character to make full use of your chosen skills and areas of focus, rather than grinding for more stats, so PvP is going to be based on player dexterity and foresight instead of who has the best gear. To put icing on the cake, there is no monthly fee, just the initial box price and microtransactions for things like server changes.

Tera is structured more like a traditional MMO, but with an action-based combat system similar to Guild Wars 2. More focus on PvE combat throughout the game, more grinding itemization, and endgame content focusing around raids.

I prefer GW2 and didn't care much for Tera, so maybe someone can give you a second opinion on it, but there's a good reason everyone has been hyped up for GW2 so it is worth checking out.

If you can consider something even less RPG-like, PlanetSide 2 is a free-to-play MMOFPS currently in closed beta. RPG-like advancement of characters who gain experience from fighting and use it for minor upgrades and unlocks, kind of like other modern FPSes but on a larger system, and with battles of hundreds or thousands of players over persistent territory.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Could someone recommend a JRPG to someone who doesn't like JRPGs? I keep feeling that I'm missing out. :(

You liked SMRPG, how about the Mario & Luigi games? The third, Bowser's Inside Story, is probably one of my favorite RPGs in a long time.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

grumperfish posted:

FreeSpace Open has great combat. Download FS2 from Good Old Games and then add the FSO patches. You'll mainly be using fighter-craft, and it's mostly mission-based so there's not much exploration or diplomacy involved.

To clarify, Freespace is combat and combat alone, along the lines of a combat flight simulator like IL-2 Sturmovik, so it might not appeal to you. It just happens to be the best of the best in the space genre.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Aug 26, 2012

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Urdnot Fire posted:

Check out Natural Selection 2, it's phenomenal.

I'm pretty darn sure NS2 is not a turn-based strategy game with cooperative multiplayer, or close to it. Let's not turn NS2 into the new "dorf fortress".

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Scambl posted:

I really wanna play a game with awesome speechcraft. Where you can manipulate people and change the way they think. Like KotoR 2 when you can manipulate your teammates, allies, and enemies. Please tell me there's a game like this!

Planescape Torment handles this pretty seriously, where you can verbally and thoroughly torture many people in the game to your heart's content (especially your party), and there is a unique premise to the setting: if you can get people to believe something, it becomes real. The only caveat to PST's conversations is that dialogue options will have attribute requirements, with the best options normally requiring non-combat stats.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

I'm seeking recommendations for games that have unique interesting atmosphere/ambiance. I know that's a really freaking broad request, but I've got this weird craving for games that:

How about Bastion? Most of that game takes place in a vibrantly colorful steampunk Moroccan city and the surrounding wilds, twisted into Escher paintings.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Herobotic posted:

I'm looking for something Metroidvania style that I can play on PC, preferably with a controller. I've just finished Fez, and it failed to scratch the itch to play something like Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Something that has a good story? Thanks.

Dark Souls is probably the premiere 3d Metroidvania of any platform right now, and you kind of have to play with a controller on PC. It doesn't have so much a story as an extremely interesting setting that conveys the history of its world and characters more through background details than dialogue. The recent La-Mulana remake is a great 2d one, but you have to be fine with keeping a walkthrough in another window. Iji and Cave Story are the classic PC story metroidvanias, and are two games that you have to play before you die. Hero Core isn't anywhere near as good the above examples, and is very light on story, but it is well worth it if you want to spend an afternoon mindlessly.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 6, 2013

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Caufman posted:

Third-World banana republics are turning down my requests for cultural exchanges in Shadow President. Are there any more recent geopolitical simulators that will give me an even more exhilerating high as I punish these haughty rulers with my nuclear arms?

The closest thing I can think of in the last ten years is Supreme Ruler 2020. I'm not going to recommend it - I haven't played it, and the game it is a sequel to (SR2010) was horribly broken and unfun. Maybe I'll get around to it sometime, but you should see if it fits your bill.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
The Commandos games are essentially puzzle games: you have enemies walking around pre-determined paths, and you try to keep your characters moving around out of their line of sight and using abilities in tandem to take them out. I wouldn't say it is linear, because the maps get gigantic enough where they can take over an hour to beat, and solutions are rarely straightforward on first glance. I highly recommend playing Commandos 2 regardless of genre preferences, it is a great game that can appeal for any number of reasons.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

StashAugustine posted:

I might check it out then. How much gear/ability customization is there?

Not really any - each character has their own set of expertise, and although you can loot items off of dead enemies, not every character can use every weapon. The point is to use each of the characters and the tools given to the fullest of their capabilities.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

tehspiekguy posted:

I've definitely been meaning to give DotA 2 a shot, but almost everything I've heard is that what the game lacks in screaming manchildren it makes up for in the tryhards that will constantly berate you for not adhering to the latest and greatest pro-level meta play. Granted, I've never given the game an honest shot so I'll give it a run.

Dota 2 is pretty good about its matchmaking for the majority of the playerbase - your first few matches have a significant effect on your (hidden) matchmaking rating, so it won't be long until you get to a point where you have matches you can win. And unlike LoL where all the characters have a very rigid role and lane setup that the developers enforce through punishment, Dota 2's characters all have multiple roles and lane setup is flexible across all skill levels that you'll generally have fun doing whatever you want as long as you aren't screwing someone else over.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Xandoom posted:

A good deep preferably more open than linear RPG along the lines of Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim or Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Thanks!

There's the oft-repeated recommendation of Dark Souls, though I think Divinity 2: Developer's Cut will follow your examples a little more.

If you're ok with venturing into the realm of sci-fi and shooting, Fallout 3/NV and the STALKER games are great open world games, though STALKER games tend to force the story on you.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
If you are going to use the Wii for homebrew at all (you should if you get a Wii), an internet connection will take 90% of the workload of installing and patching programs off your shoulders.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

AnonSpore posted:

I know you guys probably get this a lot, but... I'm looking for a game that's like Dark Souls but isn't Dark Souls. :smith:

I don't have a console so Demon's Souls is out.

Well, what specifically did you like about it that you want to find more of? We can offer games that are great solo dungeon crawlers, games that have a similar attention to detail in the world and characters, games that are just as demanding on the player and are rewarding to master, etc.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Alvie posted:

My friend and I are gonna have a retro gaming night and are having trouble picking a game. We'd like to sit down with a nice substantial game and play through it. We figure we'd either like to play an rpg, or something with some sort of co-op. Ultimately we're interested in anything that's especially fun for two people to play through together. Good story is a plus.

Ideally we'd like a SNES game but we're possibly open to NES or Genesis. As far as RPGs, between us we've played (and enjoyed) the following games: Tales of Phantasia, Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior, Dragon Warrior II, Super Mario RPG, Earthbound, and Chrono Trigger. Some examples of multiplayer games we like would be Donkey Kong Country 1/2/3, Streets of Rage, and TMNT:Turtles in Time.

Kirby Super Star is probably one of the best co-op games of all time, it still holds up today and has a pretty amount of content for a platformer. Secret of Mana is also great as a co-op RPG, though you won't have the second character until a little bit into the game.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

bigperm posted:

I got Civ V on sale recently and I love it. I've never played a game like it (I'm sheltered I guess) but it's making my lovely computer scream and crawl. I am looking for a similar game with less computer requirements. The obvious choice I guess is Civ IV but is there another game (or series) in the genre that shouldn't be overlooked?

Civ 4 with Warlords and Beyond the Sword, and Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, full stop. Those two are the highlights of the whole Civilization series - Civ 4 for its almost perfectly polished gameplay and huge mod collection (which you should take full advantage of) and SMAC for its superior atmosphere which any competitor or sequel has yet to match.

If you want to venture into the world of space strategy games, Master of Orion 2 is the undisputed king of them and can be a hearty rival to Civilization's best.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
I'm on a laptop for a while, with a mobile videocard and a terrible processor. I'm going braindead playing roguelikes - I need something that gives an experience, a game that can hook me in for multiple reasons and stick with me even after I'm done. A game like Metal Gear Solid 1 or Star Control 2 or the Infinity Engine games or System Shock or Snatcher, but not them. I've played probably everything that was mainstream and I've gone over the SNES and PS1 libraries, so I guess I'm looking for recommendations of older PC games, DOS games, the kind you would find on Abandonia. I've gone looking through it myself multiple times before, but I always end up just downloading a ton of things that sit in a folder and never get tried. I need someone to persuade me into sticking with a few. The only genre limitations I can think of are that I don't want a point&click adventure game, I already have too many of those sitting on a harddrive in my gaming computer.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Re: Planescape: Torment

The most important stat is Wisdom. Also, when you find a piece of Junk, a Hammer and a Prybar, hold onto them.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Fruits of the sea posted:

Every once in a while, I like to drink and play pvp games. I need a new one, preferably an fps (although I'm open to other genres) with a lively community and fast-paced, competitive gameplay.

Previous games have included WoW battlegrounds, TF2, Burnout Paradise and Brink. I should add that I don't want to play a CoD game. They make me twitchy.

You might want to look at World of Tanks, though admittedly it isn't for everyone. There can be a lot of downtime inbetween the twitch shooting.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
I haven't played it in a while so it may have changed, but Tribes was pay-to-win in the sense that you would tire of the game long before you could grind out all the post-release overpowered weapons. The grind was mind numbing and there wasn't any sense of progression to it, you would spend dozens of hours using the same guns until you get enough XP for a new gun that is noticeably more powerful or more forgiving.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Blast of Confetti posted:

Are there any games at all where the villain(s) has better motivation than being an evil rear end in a top hat? I was listening to the FarCry 3 soundtrack and it made me think how much cooler Vaas would be if there was a reason for what he did besides being an enormous cock. I'm not expecting Javert from Les Mis levels of complex, but a reason for the bad guys to be bad besides "I am a bad guy." would be nice. :v:

Knights of the Old Republic 2, preferably with the restored content mod. I can't think of another game with a villain who is as thoroughly detailed and who challenges the player's expectations and beliefs the way Kotor 2's does.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Funktor posted:

How is FTL? What sort of game is it? What does it do well? Worth the purchase? Or are there other similar games that do the same thing better?

The thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3469690

Buy it if the videos/description appeal to you at all.

Davoren posted:

I've been playing Rogue Legacy, and really enjoying it, but it's given me a hankerin' for a more traditional metroidvania, are there any good ones on PC? I thought Unepic might be what I wanted, but it seems to be trying its own thing. I guess I could just play Symphony of the Night again, but I want something fresh.

Just in case, on the off chance that you haven't seen it mentioned here five or ten times already, Dark Souls.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 3, 2013

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

MooCowlian posted:

I've played quite a lot of Dawn of War II, and I'm looking for something similar. Strategy where I'm just controlling a few units that all have special abilities, that sort of thing. I've played things like XCOM, but I never really felt like any particular soldier was special. It was all "Oh drat, I just lost a guy" rather than "drat, I just lost THAT guy." I guess I'm looking for a fantasy/scifi setting, since when you're using "normal" soldiers like CoH or XCOM, the biggest difference is whether the guy has grenades or a rocket launcher, and I've been spoiled by running a dude with a giant hammer in to the rear of a tank so he can explode while a guy with a giant lascannon is exploding orcs.

Ideally, I'd be playing the WH40k or Warmachine tabletop games on my computer, but since I can't, I'm hunting the next best thing.

It isn't exactly 40k or Warmachine, but Silent Storm is probably close to what you are looking for. But if you do want to play tabletop, then yeah look up Vassal and the modules for those games. It is essentially like proxying models, you will still have to know all the rules since the game can't supply them itself.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm in the mood for good visceral combat, preferably involving swords/daggers. My current playthrough of Assassin's Creed II inspired this so that's a good idea of what I'm looking for. RPGs of any sort would be fine too since I've been enjoying Dragon Age: Origins sword and board gameplay even though it's not extremely involved. I just want it to feel solid and satisfying.

360/3DS/iOS/WiiU (I guess haha?)

Time for another Dark Souls recommendation.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Contest Winner posted:

This one is kind of weird, because I can't think of any examples, but can anyone recommend a strategy game(turn-based or RTS) where all players are competing under the shadow of an apocalypse? I don't mean in the sense that the game plot is about one, that is common enough, but a game where either through passage of time or player actions(or both) the game ticks towards an end state where everything goes to poo poo and everyone loses.

I guess Defcon kind of sounds like it counts, but that is not what I really mean.

Alpha Centauri was big on this. There was was an army of psychic worms that acted as mindless units attacking everything and would become stronger as the game progressed, and players could do things to either lower or raise their rate of expansion.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Tagra posted:

Do not buy Starforge.

Hmm, let's see what non-goons are saying about it...

OP of most popular nonsticky thread on steam forum frontpage posted:

Will the devs show the "nay-sayers" that they are all wrong for all their ranting that this game will suck!

I can't wait for that time when this game is good enough to play and have fun with, so that I could lift my head up high and stick my tongue out to all the not-so-nice peeps both who

(1) did pre-order and lost patience and became sarcastic and those who

(2) didn't pre-order and say that those that did are fools.

Thats, uh, great praise isn't it? Looks like a winner to me!

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Walton Simons posted:

I'm not short on games just at the moment but does anyone know any good games where both you and your enemies don't take much to kill? I loved Deus Ex on realistic, Fallout 3 with 3x damage and I'm playing ranger mode on Metro 2033 now. I just really enjoy the tension when one misstep or enemy overlooked could end you.

Single player and PC, please. Not a fan of the squad-based Rainbow Six sorts.

Rainbow Six 3 has a Lone Wolf mode where you have to eliminate a few dozen enemies across a map all by yourself. The game is very cheap by now, especially if bought used, and there is no shortage of new content from the expansions and player-made modifications. Shootbang people to your heart's content.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

NeilPerry posted:

Is Mother 3 worth playing? I've never played Earthbound you see.

Earthbound is worth playing, and you absolutely should play it before Mother 3.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Why not just go straight to Warhammer 40k and get Space Marine?

Take your chainsword to some Ork boyz! :orks101:

Well, he did ask for good sci-fi games, so...

In case you haven't played them, the first Deadspace game is a modern classic for sci-fi, and the second is a good followup.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Lunimeow posted:

I need to find something that I can sink a lot of time into, I've been having a lot of trouble finding anything that doesn't bore me to tears, story/dialogue in games lately tends to turn me off really fast.

In the past couple months the only games that have interested me enough to completion have been dragon's dogma, shadow of the colossus and gorky 17, I've spent tons of time on minecraft, terraria, dwarf fortress, the X series and I'm pretty much done with them for now. I've also reached end game in FFXIV and I can't play it daily anymore.

I've tried playing skyrim and I want to get in to it but there is just something about it that makes it really boring for me, i've also played fallout new vegas, saints row 4, gta 5 and couldn't really get into them. I have played tons of different roguelikes.

I'm looking for either a really deep game like dwarf fortress I can spend a lot of time in or a fairly long game with an end to play through. If there was a mud or some kind of single player game with the same detail in combat as dwarf fortress adventure mode (targeting limbs, blood loss, dismemberment and such) that would be amazing. Being able to play with other people is a plus but isn't needed.

Have you played any of the Monster Hunter games?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

joshtothemaxx posted:

I am really into games now that have 1) a reasonable but very tough difficulty level/curve, and 2) a huge amount of variety in how you can play the game. Story isn't important, but the world needs to be at least pretty cool (meaning no anime crap or half-naked girls running around for no reason).

The past two games I bought, beat, and then played a LOT more were Dark Souls and Rogue Legacy. What else is in that vein? Preferably on Steam?

Have you played The Binding of Isaac? It is a roguelike game heavily based on the dungeon gameplay of Zelda 1, but with over 200 items that can wildly change your strategies and several different characters to play as. The aesthetics are a distinct mashup of hell-and-brimstone biblical references, heavy gore, and internet and potty humor that ends up very much love-it-or-hate-it. It has replay value up the wazoo - thirteen different endings, with the final 'true' ending only coming after a boss rush that can be pretty rough.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

puschel posted:

Second would be a game like the ancient cave in Lufia 2. But not a roguelike, so I can have continuous character progression and not have to restart all over.

Maybe the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games. And it isn't randomly generated, but you might like Squaresoft's Vagrant story on the PS1.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Shooting Blanks posted:

What about Spec Ops: The Line? I haven't played it, but I've heard some, uh, interesting things about the morality choices in that game.

It isn't really like that - it does do 'morality choices' better than 95% of games out there since you are given perfectly good reasons to do some horrible things and the game doesn't try to punish you for anything, but the choices are relatively few and are there for immersion. The goal is to allow for reflections of how people would act in extreme circumstances, not give a playground to shoot up children.

Khy, you want Planescape: Torment like TehGherkin said. It isn't a contest, no other game comes close, and there is a lot of content in the game that I haven't seen because I refuse to go down some of those paths.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

V!ntar posted:

I've had enough of ultra violence for a while I think, so I'm looking for cute, innocent and nice games that aren't only for kids, or at least are fun for an adult like myself. Something like Animal Crossing would be nice! Any genre is ok.

My systems are PC, 3DS, Wii and PS3

If you're ok with some cartoon violence, then the Mario & Luigi series! If you've played Super Mario RPG (and if you haven't, play it!) they are very similar with the main difference being a heavily increased focus on the action aspects. The first is one is Superstar Saga on the GBA and is a great place to enter the series. Difficulty can actually be fairly tough if you don't try to grind out high levels before boss fights, and they are fairly meaty games for being kind of older and portable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Go with the first, then the last. Call of Pripyat isn't very friendly for new players since it drops you in the middle of a pretty open world that has several places near the start you can get whacked pretty hard going to and kind of assumes you already know the deal, while Shadow of Chernobyl has a more linearish opening that will set you up for success.