Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Flopstick posted:

I don't know why more games don't use the old Ultima style of dialogue, whereby you pick out key words from NPC dialogue to ask them about, plus a few standard queries, plus possibly secret things to ask them that you find out from other NPCs. It was a pretty great system, I thought.

It is one-way dialogue - you can't choose options in a way that characterize you, as the player character. You can't set the tone, learn things about the main character you might not have known before, or have the player say interesting or well-written dialogue.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Zaphod42 posted:

What I'm dying to know is why, with Microsoft pushing the hell out of the Kinect, there isn't an RPG where you can "karaoke" your dialogue choices. It seems like the most obvious use of the otherwise pretty meh kinect; it already has the ability to process voice commands so that you can tell it to turn on or to change to Netflix. They need to get some game out like Dragon Age and have it so you can say your own lines, and then it detects either the start of the phrase or certain keywords in order to choose a dialogue choice internally. Done right, where the characters ask you a question, you fire off a response, and then they reply, would be pretty drat novel. I think the RPG crowd would get way behind that.

When people look up videos of Mass Effect 4 on youtube to see if they'll like it, and all they will be able to find are videos of Shepard making Mr Bean faces at Liara during a pre-sex scene.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
ARPG talk: I'm really liking Dungeon Fighter Online. It is a side-scrolling beat-em-up with heavy RPG progression and variable difficulties and playstyles based on chosen class, of which there are like three dozen. It is f2p and online-only, but the cash shop hasn't been introduced yet and I don't know how much it will influence the gameplay (if at all), and party play is highly encouraged. There is a fatigue system where you can only play a character through a certain number of rooms per day, but the number is pretty high and there are incentives for leveling different characters so you can binge all day as long as you're fine with switching playstyles. DFO has pretty fast gameplay and is more about comboing attacks and doing evasive moves than sitting there and holding down left-mouse-button to shoot arrows at enemies.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Ibexaz posted:

Hey guys, I'm looking for a game that makes you feel like garbage. Something real sad and depressing.

Games I've already played:
The Last of Us
The Walking Dead ssn. 1, 2
Mother 3
Spec Ops: The Line

Any standouts that I've missed?

LISA on Steam. It is essentially a Mother 4 in style and gameplay, and very worth ten dollars.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 12, 2015

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Bloodbourne is the best recent Lovecraft game.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

unterdude posted:

I need a looty RPG on PC to play. Something to play mindlessly, where I can collect a bunch of loot and look cool. Preferably F2P.

Dungeon Fighter is a 2.5d beat-em-up / MMORPG that I like way more than all the other diablo-likes. However, loot is mostly separated from your visible character, as the aesthetics are all based on specific item types that are bought with real or ingame currencies.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Dongattack posted:

Anything for recent PC RTS/Strategy games where you can pause and issue orders/etc? Just came off a Starcraft binge and i'm tired of the twitch gameplay and micromanagement, not that there can't be any micromanagement in the games you suggest, i enjoy micro/macro, i just want the ability to do them while paused and think about things.

No turnbased games and no Paradox titles (played them all).

If you're willing to broaden the genre, the recent CRPG Pillars of Eternity uses a real-time system combat system that is pretty involved and, on the higher difficulties, will require more time paused for planning than the fights actually take in real-time.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Turtlicious posted:

Do not get Pillars of Eternity, it seems really fun but then you end up having to mash the spacebar constantly. It's like a turn based RPG but it's up to you to decide when your turn is, and you almost never plan it correctly. Couldn't even get out of the first area without a mind bogglingly boring combat sequence that involved running around constantly, pausing attacking pausing attacking in the worst sequence.

It's also low magic and the mages suck.

I know a lot of people specifically want to see more low-magic RPGs like Darklands and I don't want them to get the wrong idea, Pillars is about as high magic as you can get without getting into Planescape territory.

How far did you play into the game? Magic users do start off with a pitiful 'cast magic missile only three times a day' deal, but it opens up very rapidly as you get many more spells than you will know what to do with and every magic class eventually gets their lower-end spells turned into 'per encounter' instead of 'per rest' anyway (and Ciphers have a constantly-replenishing mana bar from the start). If you treated Might as a dump stat that may have been your problem - you can't do that the way you do in other RPGs unless you are specifically going for a utility spellcaster, since magic damage scales with Might instead of Intelligence. That is the reason a lot of players prefer to have a custom wizard over taking Aloth.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 19, 2015

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

LLSix posted:

Xenonauts is a more roguelike take on XCom. You might like it.

Xenonauts is just UFO Defense but the soldiers look like janitors. I don't know what you mean by 'more roguelike'.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Chamale posted:

Eh, that one's hard all the way. I'm looking for something where you're cruising along for a bit, then the RNG suddenly drops an anvil on you.

The fan-made 'second expansion' mod to XCOM: Enemy Unknown, XCOM: Long War, has phyrric victories and unwinnable ambushes as a design goal, which is something I haven't seen in many games. But it is also meant for the long haul, to be played over weeks or months, and it requires a big investment in learning the systems of the mod on top of the original XCOM: EU game if they haven't played that already. If they already have XCOM: EU and Enemy Within then I'd say look into Long War, otherwise only if they are a mega nerd for strategy games.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Pierzak posted:

Recommend me a good metroidvania on PC? Preferably one with the desolation/exploration feeling of Metroid (loved Axiom Verge).

Stuff I've already played/beaten: Aquaria, Axiom Verge, La Mulana, Dust: the Elysian Tail, Cave Story, Guacamelee, Unepic.

VVV: Forgot about that, beat that too.

Iji is a freeware metroidvania that looks like trash in still screenshots but is actually one of the polished greats, up there with Cave Story. It distinctively has a lot of Deus Ex-ish elements like a focus on finding routes or secrets that may only be accessible to your character having been built a certain way, story consequences for your actions, and the ability to play through the game as a stealthy pacifist.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I am really confused by what you and that other guy are talking about.

This:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You build up your (one) character,

XCom and Darkest Dungeons don't end when one guy dies.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

kaesarsosei posted:

Doesn't have to BE the Punisher. But some ARPG like D3 but with guns, or a sci-fi setting would be great.

Dungeon Fighter Online maybe? It is a Diablo-like styled as a 2.5d beat'em up with kitchen-sink setting and classes in anime dressing. Swords, spells, fists, guns, giant crucifixes.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

cisco privilege posted:

Maybe not exactly a 4x but have you tried Alpha Centauri Alien Crossfire? Think it's on GOG.

That is one of the reference games for the 4x genre. "eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, and eXterminate"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

DarthJeebus posted:

Maybe a bit vague, but I want to play a strategy game (4x/grand strategy and the like) where building an army is expensive and time consuming, and battles can be decisive enough to where losing really fucks you over instead of most games where you can just crank out quick replacements. I want my forces to feel like they have weight, and must be used intelligently, not just out-spamming the enemy. I know EU4 is kinda like this, but I prefer something where combat is less abstract. I'm already playing Dominions 4, but I have more time to waste than that.

Disciples 2 is very similar to Heroes of Might & Magic but with sending out small parties of up to six characters each instead of armies, that have to be built up through combat and customized between different paths to fit your strategy and your opponents. Losing a highly experienced unit or even a whole party can be devastating and takes effort to come back from, or it might be game-ending on its own.