Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most

Wallet posted:

I assume it's cool to use this thread to ask for recommendations? I've got a hankering for any sort of CRPG that's come out in the last four or five years that I haven't played. It's not that I don't like old games, I've just played all of them. In recent years I've played all of Bioware's stuff, Drakensang, and uh.. Fallout 3/Oblivion, The Witcher, that's it I think. I can't find anything else of recent vintage. There was a goon that posted about another German RPG a while ago that I think should be out by now where you turn into a dragon or something but I can't remember the name of it or find the thread. Help me :(

I'm gonna guess what you're talking about is The Witcher, which is a german RPG based on a novel, where the entire plot branches based on your actions, but manages to do it linearly. The goonthread is here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most

Corridor posted:

On a similar note, is it better to start on Baldur's Gate 1 or 2? Haven't really looked at them for years and I'd have to rebuy them... I can't remember much about either, but heard 2 is better. Also are there any mods/patches that are pretty much essential to playing, like that bigass FO2 fanmade one that fixed bugs and re-added unused content?

There's a baldur's gate thread running at http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3136028

But basically if you're gonna play 1, there's a mod that lets you play it in 2's engine, which makes it a ton better an easier to play. You need a copy of 2 to do so though.

As to which to play first... the charactarization and plot gets a lot better in the second one, but there are a lot of carryover characters, and such, I believe every playable character shows up again in 2. Unlike Mass Effect, the save transfer doesn't copy the state data, so each encounter just has a bunch of conversation options like "Didn't I kill you?" or "You were my best ally and ruled."

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most

GreatGreen posted:

I'm looking for a city building game or even a colonization game where you'll often need to expand with the help of a military.

In other words, expansion should be something like "build military buildings->send military to eliminate resistance in area of desired expansion->expand->send military units to next desired area of expansion->expand again and so on.

Honestly, the minutia of the city building doesn't matter all that much to me. For all I care, there could be just one big "build city/economic hub here" button and that would be cool, but I also wouldn't mind if I had to do the typical city building, "micromanging food/water/goods sources for the population" thing if I had to either. Same goes for military. I'd prefer not to have to control individual units, and instead just put them down and watch them go, but I wouldn't mind if I had to control them either.

Basically, what I'm looking for is a game that will let me dominate the game world by slowly expanding and building my cities, which will strengthen my economy, which will fund my ever expanding and conquesting military.

It sounds like you're describing caesar 3 here, but in case you aren't, play caesar 3.

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most

Contra Calculus posted:

Can someone recommend me the Mega Man game that would best suit someone who is new to the series? It doesn't necessarily have to be a Mega Man game either, it can be a similar game to that series.

Mega Man X is a bit easier than the original Mega Mans, I feel. There's some tricky jumping and stuff, but the fact that you can walljump makes it a bit more forgiving.

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most

Parallax posted:

Yeah, I've played most of the Katamari games. I meant to use it as an example of weirdness, but I don't exclusively want Japanese weirdness. Although that kind of weirdness is good as well. (Also I have heard of Noby Noby Boy)

Deadly Premonition for the 360. Silent Hill, crossed with a cohen bros movie, crossed with... GTA? The combat is kind of awful though. Check out the thread for it over here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3270379

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most

Danger Mahoney posted:

For Windows, just download Windows Frotz. That page also has a link to the IF Archive, which has a ton of IF games listed and ranked. You can also look for Frotz for iOS, which has a searchable game browser built in.

To start out, I would recommend Anchorhead, Lost Pig, and Theatre.

In addition, the stuff that wind the interactive fiction competition each year tends to be pretty good: http://www.ifcomp.org/

I forget if they have a category on the IF Archive for winners or not, but there's some really cool ones.

Also, I haven't checked out this year's yet. Yay.

EDIT: Some one's I'd recomment are Gun Mute, the IF on-rails shooter,
Violet, a game told in the second person where you have to stop procrastinating and write a paper.
Slouching toward bedlam, a game with... cthulu-ish overtones and time travel and saving built into the narrative.

Residual Toast fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Nov 29, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most

Jive One posted:

Edit: Also adding System Shock and its sequel, which are both stellar games.

Didn't someone finally put out a mod for SS1 to enable mouselook? I thought I had heard that, and I had a hard time playing it/recommending it to others when it didn't have it.