Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Might and Magic 6 was just released on GoG: http://www.gog.com/en/frontpage/. It's a FPRPG. Plus it includes M&M 1-5.

Roflan fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Sep 6, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Well, all of them have technology mixed in-- most of the plots end with the discovery that the main enemies are aliens or something. The Wizardrys also had a lot of tech stuff in them.

PS: I can't read. As I didn't notice you mention your aversion to fantasy...

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Does anyone have a way to induce temporary amnesia? Barring that, I've been playing through the Devil May Cry series, again, and have been trying to think of what it is about them I like. I've reduced it to: Low skill wall but high skill ceiling.

My most recent favorite games have been Dark Souls/Demon's Souls and Bayonetta. My problem is that very few games like these exist. Off the top of my head, I can only think of Ninja Gidien. Which, when I tried the first xbox releases many years ago, gave me the impression that it had a high skill wall and ceiling. Meaning that they are difficult to beat and once you do, you are as good as you need to be with little incentive to get better. Everything I've heard about them over the years had reinforced that belief.

So, does anyone know of any games which(in order of importance):
-Is heavily dependent on player skill or understanding of the game
-Is of any genre, system and age
-Has several difficulty levels and/or a newgame+ system
-Preferably has a mission based structure
-Rates your performance in some way
-Is not PVP

Or, failing that, a game that is crushingly difficult to start with but that you can over come either with player or in-game skill.

BTW, I despise GoW and it's clones...

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

I've definitely considered the Monster Hunter series before but the problem is, especially recently, that it's always on systems I hate. Now if they'd only let you play PSP games on the PS3, I'd be all over it. I've also heard that the most recent Wii version wasn't really all that good.

While not exactly what I'm looking for, rhythm games are very hit and miss with me and I have no way of predicting what I'll like. So, I'll give it a go.