Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Corridor posted:

edit: When I say classic or older games, what I mean is "something from around '95 or earlier'. poo poo I may have played when I was a kid, that used a lot of sprites and pixelly textures. SS2 or Vampire Masquerade, for example, are more recent and technologically advanced than I'm thinking of.
You mentioned System Shock 2, but have you played System Shock 1? That's from 1995 right on the nose.
System Shock Portable: http://www.strangebedfellows.de/index.php/topic,211.0.html
Reference card and manual: http://www.strangebedfellows.de/index.php/topic,128.0.html

A tip about playing Daggerfall: Play with this open http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Daggerfall
It's real easy to get lost, stuck, confused, and discouraged from playing on your own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Expendable Henchman posted:

What games are similar to Anachronox? I'm looking for sci-fi RPGs that aren't Deus Ex or System Shock or KOTOR.

Thanks!
Star Ocean. Note: Nothing like Deus Ex or System Shock or KOTOR.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Morpheus posted:

I'm wondering if there are any games like Pathologic out there: specifically, what interests me most about the game is the fact that the entire thing takes place in a single, small village. Technically, the entire world is available to you, and the entire world is pretty small, but it evolves as you play and progress the plot. Is there anything else like that at all?

(Note: This is not the same as a sandbox title, not GTAs or anything by Bethesda. This is a small game world.)
Gothic, maybe? It has that same feel of an isolated community stuck with itself that evolves and changes as the plot moves forward. It's set in a dark fantasy prison colony, where a magical barrier was put up so nothing that goes in can come out (except dead and non-living things because it's also a mining colony). The prisoners have taken over and make demands of the kingdom for supplies and luxury items in return for the mined ore. Anyone who commits any crime in the kingdom is sentenced to life in this prison becuase the need for more miners and ore is great, as the kingdom's fighting a losing war with invading orks.

You play as a new prisoner who makes it his goal to find a way to bring down the barrier and escape. Along the way you get fully ingrained with the society's different aspects and can choose to join one faction or the other and play them off one another, and as you progress things can change, people can die or betray you, etc, just like Pathologic.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Onkel Hedwig posted:

Yeah, Gothic is a pretty good action/RPG/adventure game. Gothic 2 is good as well, although the setting isn't as interesting as Gothic 1.

But stay away from everything named Gothic besides this two games. Gothic 3 is bad, Gothic 4 is pure crap.
Gothic 4? Is that out yet? I know Jowood is making a Gothic without Piranha bytes (Who are making a new IP with a similar design called Risen, about being shipwrecked on a magical island or something like that), and Jowood internally developed games tend to be completely awful, but I haven't heard any actual news one way or the other about Gothic 4.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

HenryEx posted:

It's called ArcaniA, for whatever reason and it's not out yet. Due for 2010.

Any news you could find are most likely in German.

/edit: Here's a short preview.
Wow, that actually looks pretty good in the screenshots. I'm surprised. No expectations at all for gameplay but the art style looks really neat.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

There was a PS2 series called Shadow Hearts that I remember reading about and being interested in. The thing is, I think there are 3 games and you have to play them in a certain order but some people say not to bother with certain ones?
The first of the games was on the PS1 I think, called Koudelka or something like that. I don't recall it being anything too special though.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

doctor iono posted:

System Shock 2 is indeed great, will play Alien Vs. Predator 2.
IMO, AVP2 isn't nearly as scary as AVP1. They try to have more of a story, and there are more non-hostile NPCs (I can't really remember the first game having any at all actually), so it's got a whole different atmosphere.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Revol posted:

I'm looking for a multiplayer game that's between an FPS and an MMORPG.

What I mean by that, is, I want something with some kind of persistence (be it world or player), like an MMO, but unlike an MMO, I don't want to play timesink games where I fall behind because I don't play 8 hours a day.
Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. As you play you gain experience in a few different areas, with each class having its own main XP bar, and as you reach new levels in individual areas you get unlocks. By default the game resets your XP, levels, and ranking at the end of a "campaign" (four maps that are meant to be played in order), but most servers have modded it so that it knows your player name and keeps your stats for some time, typically 24 hours or a week, so that as long as you keep your gaps between play less than that time, you won't lose your poo poo. There are also mods that extend the RPG aspect so there's more than 4/5 max levels in each category, such as "No Quarter" which gives 10 levels for each category with lots of new abilities, for example maxing Medic lets you give a downed player CPR to try and revive them as a non-medic class, and maxing soldier lets you pick up and use any class's weapon.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

I want a game whose primary reward mechanism for progress is looking at cool, atmospheric environment art. Games like The Void on PC, where as you progress you unlock new nodes on the world map that you're allowed to enter, or Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon on the Wii, which has very basic gameplay which serves purely as something to occupy your time as you progress through the neat environments. I have all platforms except 360 and PSP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Bleusilences posted:

Genesis shadowrun of course :c00lbert:.
Space Rangers 2 Reboot. It's on Steam (was $2.50 during the summer sale). Similar mission structure to Shadow Run, has an RPG system and faction/reputation system, except it's in space and semi-roguelike and semi-turnbased (unless you've given it continuous orders like "fly across the solar system and warp to x" or "autoattack this dude until one of us is dead" it pauses at the end of a space day to wait for you to input a new command, but while stuff plays out everything moves at once).

Maybe, stretching it even further, the STALKER games, more specifically STALKER: Call of Pripyat. Go on missions for criminals, deal with supernatural creatures, shoot lots of things. There's even an enemy in STALKER COP, called the Chimera, that approaches (but not matches) Hellhound difficulty. When was the last time you had an enemy in a videogame put you in the kind of danger a hellhound could give you?

Edit: Oh, forgot one. Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. Modern day game with supernatural elements, go about doing things in open ended urban environments, shoot things, increase stats.

Jetsetlemming fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 25, 2010