Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Galick posted:

I'm looking for a game where the combat is pure bone crushing and fierce melee. No HP sponge antics or anything, just fast brutal combat in which where you strike the opponent, how many of them there are, and what kind of weapon you're using actually matter. Where if you gently caress up or get hit in a bad spot, you can easily die. Dunno what kind of games there are with this type of thing, but it's been a craving I've had for the past few days!

I'll freely clarify if this isn't enough information, and about any kind of genre works. Though, I was honestly imagining something similar to but better than Dark Messiah: Of Might and Magic.

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare for multiplayer. Mount and Blade Warband has a deep-ish SP mode with excellent combat as well.

The Witcher 2 has most of the elements you're looking for too. The combat is extremely deadly; a mis-step can get you killed in one hit or combo, especially on harder difficulties. It's all about fighting dirty against terrible odds, positioning, and mobility. Aka spamming dodge rolls.

What mods for Skyrim combat have you tried? I use Duel: Combat Realism, and it does the trick. Of course, I'm also usually starving, freezing, soaked to the bone and exhausted when I get attacked by Joe Bandit, so that may be a factor.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jun 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Noticed on Steam a game called Dust: An Elysian Tail. Despite the groan-worthy name (and associated character aesthetic), it looks like a fun Metroidvania-ish game. Any yays or nays on this one?

It's pretty fun. The game looks nice, but I had to stop playing it for one stupid reason. Every time you move, you guy loving sprints as hard as he can instantly, and when you stop, its one of those dig your heels into the ground and screech to a stop moves. If you want to take a couple steps forward, you look like the biggest idiot.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Geektox posted:

Playing through Republic Commando again. Any other games that has cool tactical military combat stuff? Aside from X-Com and what not, looking for something a little more reactionary than a turn based game but not necessarily a shooter

Valkyria Chronicles is a alternate reality WW2 era turn based strategy game, but the turns are more active, there's real time movement, manual aiming of guns etc. It is turboanime though.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

black.lion posted:

Friend and I are looking for a game we can play multiplayer (together) online, would prefer something with progression and some RPG elements, something resembling a story, etc. We used to play WoW PVP together like a million years ago and then it started being bad. We don't want another MMO. Ideas?

Guild wars 2 is free and not totally poo poo, and has alot of pvp focus, both as a openworld style war and structured normalized matches.

Also Destiny has gotten alot less grundy and alot more fun, but it's still AAA price.

Borderlands series is good co op fun as well.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Rorac posted:

I've been playing a lot of Infinite Space lately, and I've gotten a sci-fi itch to be a spaceship captain and go exploring. Actually, take about 80% of what doctorfrog is asking for, but apply it in space. Bonus points if I can command a big loving ship, like a cruiser or battleship (eventually. I don't mind working my way up). No storyline is required if I don't want to get involved, just let me gently caress around.

Edit: If anybody has played the tabletop game Traveller, basically that, in video game form.

Check out Rebel Galaxy.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

These Loving Eyes posted:

True, but sadly I've burned myself with M&B and its other stand-alone versions. What I'm searching for is a game in which you amass crew, upgrades and resources and then go wild trading and fighting until there are no stronger enemies to beat nor equipment to upgrade. Even roguelites like FTL can scratch that itch a bit, and I'm tentatively considering giving Death Skid Marks a try. On the other hand, I'd love to play a game in which the combat part was turn-based and tactical rather than real-time with pausing.

You should check out Starsector then. It's pretty similar to Mount and Blade in basic formula but its SPACESHIPS (real time with pause though, but very cool and good).

Less so is the old SPAZ (space pirates and zombies), which is fun but also kinda brainless.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

prometheusbound2 posted:

Playing lots of Fallen London has gotten me interested in MUDs. I'm particulary interested in well realized, well written settings and detailed character building. Exploration and rising from nothing to something are of particular interest. Any recommendations?

Achaea, Dreams of Divine Lands. Full stop. Multiple city states all in a constant political drama, all government positions held by humans. You can not even be max level, and by roleplay and clever gameplay become a major player in the world. I played it for years and still miss it.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

credburn posted:

Can someone recommend me a good single player roguelike with the sort of post-death-progression that you get with, say, Binding of Isaac? I've been playing roguelikes forever, and recently I've been introduced to Binding of Isaac and Rogue Legacy. I think both are fantastic at what they do and am looking for other examples of this gimmick in which it's sort of like a roguelike in that your death is permanent and stuff is randomly generated, but the next time you start you might have a slight advantage. I've tried Nuclear Throne and Enter the Gungeon; the former I thought was exciting but there doesn't seem to be anything more to unlock than a few other characters, and Enter the Gungeon is great but I'm wondering if there's something out there that's less...oh, something that doesn't feel like Ikaruga. I don't want to just dodge enemy fire all the time. An RPG would be great. Basically I played the poo poo out of Nethack and would love something like Nethack but with this added gimmick. But I'd take any suggestions. Oh, I've played Risk of Rain, too, which is fine...I love how much can be unlocked, but I'm really only looking for single player games and that game kinda sucks playing by myself.

And ACTUALLY if someone could tell me if there's a particular name for this subgenre / gimmick that I'm talking about? I'm sorry; I haven't been on the Internet since 2006 and a lot has changed. Maybe this is a common term now.

Seconding Dungeonmans. It is basically precisely what you are looking for. Goonmade to boot!

Also check out TOME 4 if you haven't yet. Big overworld epic quest style roguelike with good turn based combat involving skill use with cooldowns (think WoW or FF14), and as you play you unlock new classes for future characters.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Remora posted:

Is there an MMO besides Runescape where you can be a pretty much pure crafter? I'm pretty done with raids and level grinding and endgame content grinding and I would really like to run a shop or something in an MMO. I just like making stuff and participating in playerdriven economies, basically, and I can't keep track of what MMOs are good anymore.

Final Fantasy 14 has incredibly in depth crafting, to the point of having full gear itemization and specs. There is no option to set up a player run shop, but there is a market board (think auction house) that houses the player economy. The best things is that you don't need to level combat classes at all to craft (or gather).

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Tenik posted:

That's only true for the areas that were in the relaunch. If you want to access the 3.0 zones for gathering or crafting quests, you'll have to do the main story, which is A LOT of pve. With that said, ffxiv's crafting is really cool and has a lot of depth, including its own skills and rotations and buffs to manage.

This is true, but it is also important to note that the main story is very akin to a single player FF game, and can be played solo almost all the way through (with the occasional party based dungeon), so it isn't really the same experience as other MMOs.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Malt posted:

What are some good single player games that have a large town element that as you gather resources from exploring/fighting you are slowly upgrading the town and providing additional benefits for yourself? Something along the lines of your homestead in Skyrim, Garrisons in WoW, or even the crafting stations in Diablo 3, but where a lot of the focus of the game is on that.

Seconding Darkest Dungeon.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Azuth0667 posted:

Are there any good modern PC games about running a business? I've seen several nice old games but, can't tolerate the aged graphics anymore.

Game Dev Tycoon sort of does this. And it isn't a business per se, but Democracy 3 has alot of the same appeal.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

prom candy posted:

Looking for a somewhat relaxing game

:psyduck:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Viperix posted:

I'm looking for a single player racing game featuring career mode/progression. My two go-to examples are TDU2 and the original GRID. I don't care if it's arcade or sim controls, though I prefer somewhere in the middle, since I only have a controller. Preferably released in the last 5 years. I have a good PC and a PS4.

Gran Turismo or Forza?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Dessel posted:

Second one is even more vague but in case someone has any ideas, I need something to replace my itch with for MMORPG's. I do still actively play FFXIV, but my raiding group is on a break possibly till' February and I really want to get good with some game/scratch the itch for optimization. Doesn't need to control *that* well but I'm not looking something turn-based either.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is a single player action RPG that started off as an mmorpg, and has the typical quest and loot structure for that genre. It isn't that bad either, plenty of content.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

AnimalChin posted:

Are there any chill steam/PC games with multiplayer elements (at least - full on MMO would be better) that have simple controls, and lots of customization that isn't something like Second Life? I want a game where I can build, manage, and decorate my house/town/business and I can walk around and do simple stuff (catch fish, pull weeds, whatever) while also being able to trade stuff with other people (MMO) and visit their spaces and chill for a while. Even better if you can go out on adventures together. Does anything like this even exist?

Those browser/facebook games (Forge Of Empires) start to scratch that itch but they're essentially just grind fests and not very social. Fallen London is just ... weird.

I think I'm looking for A PC flavor of Animal Crossing. :(

Minecraft?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Like, my dude, we are both nerds posting on a dead gay comedy forum, but you have described "going outside" to a T. There are community gardens and volunteer opportunities in your community. Go do those

Yeah for real. He basically said "I want to have friends and clean my house"

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

The Berzerker posted:

I'm looking for games on Steam that have low graphical requirements because I have a not great laptop. For reference, I can run Darkest Dungeon but that's probably about it.

Particular types of games would be turn-based RPGs but nothing super anime.

Dungeonmans. Goon made comedy roguelike with interesting mechanics.

TOME4. High quality less hardcore roguelike. Really good.

It's A Wipe! Mmorpg raiding without the mmorpg. Looks like poo poo but is a fun little diversion.

FTL. Real time with pause spaceship crew death simulator with just, the best music.

Cardhunter. Cheeky boardgame card game RPG hybrid. Grid based tactical format.

LISA. Turn based RPG that's like weird I dunno. Play it. Goon made I think.

Renowned Explorers: International Society. Turn based tactical game with session based structure and really interesting "combat".

Sunless Sea. Pseudo Victorian ship captain game with weird comedy and Lovecraftian influences. Set in Fallen London if that means anything to you.

Stardew Valley. It's Harvest Moon.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Ulio posted:

I want to play one of the telltale games but I don't know which one. I played the Walking Dead one only and it was pretty good. The gameplay sucks but the story is interesting and interactive enough that its sort of the gameplay. I know Telltale released a bunch of series based on licensed titles but I am not sure which ones are well regarded or well reviewed.

I thought The Wolf Among Us was really good. I played it with my wife and it was like a good TV series for us.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

This is old but on the off chance you still read the thread, have you played the Majesty games? Some scenarios are more waves some are more constant, but it's town management & defense and might be what you're looking for.

Edit:

:hfive:

Also Rimworld

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Tagra posted:

Catching up on this thread so this is a bit late but, 7 Days to Die. Although it depends why they didn't like Terraria, I guess. The reason I haven't read this thread in a week is because we were binging 7DTD :v:. We played it 3 years ago and had fun then and it's so much more fleshed out, now. Join a persistent server for that MMO feel, or create your own for a private sandbox full of zombies that will wreck your poo poo. Then get annoyed because minibikes keep crashing the server...

If your group likes Orcs Must Die they might like Sanctum, too. Sanctum2 had a bit more meat to it.

Dungeon Defenders is really fun as well, and dirt cheap by now. It's like a 3rd person tower defense with 4 classes, and you also get to walk around gently caress poo poo up with your character.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

black.lion posted:

Y'all I need a turn-based RPG thats visually awesome, has a good bit of character customization (visual/multiple combat styles or classes) - I've played Tyranny, which was amazing but I'd like something prettier I guess is my thing.

Dragon Quest 8

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I'm in the mood for something sandboxy with a decently high learning curve, depth, and a sense of accomplishment as you expand and automate, working your way up from rags to riches. Here are the sandboxy "work your way up from nothing" games I already own:

-Factorio
-X3: Reuinion
-The Guild 2: Renaissance
-Modded minecraft
-Rimworld
-From the Depths
-KSP
-Edit: Mount and Blade Warband

Not interested in: Dwarf Fortress, Aurora 4X

I've been looking at Kenshi but apparently it's been in development for 5 years and still in early alpha, so I'm reluctant to drop $20 on it. Anything else good that fits this criteria?

Possibly the Anno games could scratch that itch. It's all about setting up supply chains and automating production to grow your settlement.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Natural Selection 2 is monstrous aliens vs humans, and is fun and probly cheap now.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

nachos posted:

What are some hard games like Hotline Miami and Furi that have no leveling and a great soundtrack? No platformers please

Bastion and Transistor come to mind. Also Hyper Light Drifter.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Ulio posted:

Is there any games like Disgaea, Fire Emblem or Xcom on pc? Turnbased tactical combat where you have a bunch of units. Disgaea is more about grinding and min-maxing but xcom is more about strategy/tactics and fire emblem kinda is a mix of both. I have also played the first banner saga on the hardest difficulty and it was retardly hard is the 2nd one any good?

It's a bit older, but Battle for Wesnoth is free and pretty good. Got a neat fire emblem meets advance wars vibe, with loads of mods and stuff.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Maybe check out the Shadowrun games and Shadowtactics: Blades of the Shogun. And possibly Valkyria Chronicles?

I loved the idea and gameplay of Valkyria, but it was just so annoyingly anime I had to stop. Shame.

Seconding Shadowrun. I'd say skip the first one and dive right into Dragonfall. It's one of the better tactical rpgs I've ever played.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Ulio posted:

Interesting, I'll check out Valkyria since I like the anime style actually and Shadowrun/Shadow tactics looks cool as hell I always thought for some reason those were crpgs like old fallout.

Make no mistake, Shadowrun absolutely is a crpg, with a whole boat load of story and dialogue. It's all pretty drat well written though, with a decent story and a fantastic soundtrack. The combat is turn based tactical, with a bunch of options for gearing and character specs. I really cannot recommend them enough.

Like I said though, skip the first one.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Kanfy posted:

Or don't, it's not as good as Dragonfall and Hong Kong but it's totally playable. Can always skip to the next one if you're not into it.

It's playable yeah, but it is very lackluster and doesn't do the series justice. I am lucky I decided to give Dragonfall a try, because Dead Man's Switch nearly made me write the series off as "eh".

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Kanfy posted:

Sure, like I said it can be safely skipped if you don't like it but it's not a downright bad game (barring the downright bad final boss battle) and it'll be hard to come back to after Dragonfall and Hong Kong. As long as you're equipped with the knowledge that the follow-ups are universally considered better, I think it's worth giving a shot at the very least to see what you think.

You can plsy it through the Dragonfall client if you own that too, and it improves the game with all the advances in UI and mechanics that Dragonfall brought to the board. That's what I would do.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Xeras posted:

I'm looking for something RPGish that offers me getting nicely powerful and is limited in the amount of story it monologues at me. I have played (obviously) the Dark Souls games and D3/Path of Exile. PC and PS4 for possible platforms.

Salt and Sanctuary is basically sidescrolling Dark Souls, and is on both platforms.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Unbelievably White posted:

I'm assuming that you're lumping Bloodborne in with the Souls games?

If you are, don't, because gently caress Bloodborne.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

I was just broadly suggesting it as another From Software game, stay calm

I'm calm, but my point stands.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Lorini posted:

Grim Dawn. There's an active-ish thread here on it too, and they'll be happy to help you out.

Yeah I second this. It does a good job of sort of meeting in the middle between D3 and PoE.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

KingSlime posted:

what even is this opinion here, millenial sexlord

bloodborne is my favorite souls game

Just my opinion. The graphical style was cluttered and noisy, and the gameplay was more frustrating to me. I prefer the methodical timing based dance of the core Souls over the frantic twitch stuff.

Alot of people like Bloodborne, but I hate it. And therefor can't recommend it in a recommendation thread. That's all.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

KingSlime posted:

You must have hated DS3 then

I was unhappy to see the switch from methodical, deliberate combat to bloodborne levels of YEAAAAAAAAARGH within Dark Souls once 3 was released

It works great within Bloodborne but imo, made DS3 into an unfun, though admittedly satisfying, slog

Ds3 found a middle ground I was mostly happy with. The faster pace was nice, without it being so twitchy and spastic.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

a medical mystery posted:

i never found Bloodborne particularly frantic? there's more pressure to be aggressive for sure but you can take it at a pretty steady rhythm if you have the setup for it. nowhere on the level of, say, mid to high difficulty DMC.

Cool.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Does Battle Brothers have an endgame or do you just keep going until you get bored like in mount and blade

You play for 10 minutes until you get bored. Mount and Blade has an endgame.

Edit: battle brothers is over rated and boring

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Dues Ex is cheap on GoG right now and comes with the Revision mod. Is it worth getting for PC with this (or another) mod or should I just dig out my PS2 copy if I want those nostalgia feels?

Omg PC. Yes PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008