Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Jetsetlemming posted:

Gothic 4? Is that out yet? I know Jowood is making a Gothic without Piranha bytes (Who are making a new IP with a similar design called Risen, about being shipwrecked on a magical island or something like that), and Jowood internally developed games tend to be completely awful, but I haven't heard any actual news one way or the other about Gothic 4.

It's called ArcaniA, for whatever reason and it's not out yet. Due for 2010.

Any news you could find are most likely in German.

/edit: Here's a short preview.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Sep 9, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Verty3 posted:

Sorry man Dead Space comes no where close to SS2. Also I love Hacking and Degradation. Also their is no sinister garble of cyborg assassins that are lurking around the next corner when your completely out of AP rounds in Dead Space, just terrible clunky controls.

Not as close to SS2 as Bioshock is, but just as good a game. It just takes from just about every good horror source and combines it into an extremely streamlined, over-the-top cheesy experience. Lots of references for horror freaks to discover and point out and the atmosphere is superbly retro. The ship is fleshed out very well and has a ton of great set pieces, too.

If you want the SS2 experience in Dead Space, play on impossible wth more than one un-upgraded gun.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Elijah. posted:

The first thing that popped into my head was Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. It has a "% Complete" bar and is an excellent game. It's also for the PSX, and has an XBLA port.

I was going to recommend Castlevania, too, but Aria of Sorrow for the GBAdvance. It's basically a smoother SotN and has both a map completion percentage as well as a soul collection percentage. If you're crazy/bored enough, you can even try to fill out all the item drops in your enemy database.

And if you just can't get enough, try to get the Map completion past 100%.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Luminaflare posted:

Can't you also reincarnate a character back to level 1 and their stats go up faster than normal when leveling up or something?

More or less. Stats when levelling up increase percentually, so the higher your stat when you level up, the higher your increase.
When you reincarnate a character, the levels you lose are "stored". The more levels you store, the more bonus stats you can distribute onto your base stats when reincarnating and the higher your stats will go when levelling up again.

You hit the cap on additional distributable base stats when you have stored 186,000 levels.
Yeah.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

doctorfrog posted:

Chess.

White has the obvious advantage.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Alpha Protocol: Just keep in mind that this game is not a shooter. Don't approach it as such. This is important.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Arkham Asylum has much more in common with Metroidvanias, imho. He's looking for a Castlevania game, though, and they tend to be pretty different from that.

Which is why Cave Story is also a dumb idea. Metroidvania again.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm a hardcore PC controls guy - i played Darksiders and the Batmans with M+KB - and i still reached for my USB controller minutes after i started Dark Souls for the first time. The keyboard controls are awful because the game was designed from the ground up for a controller and wasn't meant to come to PC.

On the other hand, the controls are excellent with an actual controller. Because, well, the game was designed from the ground up for a controller.

You should probably invest the one-time fee of like 30$ into a USB controller anyways, it can be handy in multiple ways and for multiple games and will likely last you around 5-10 years.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
On that note, i'd like a similar recommendation for moms.

I bought my mother Everyday Genius and later on Faerie Solitare, and it's been a huge hit. But she's by now solved every single puzzle in Everyday Genius and the money counter in Faerie Solitaire is broken (i think it rolled over or stopped updating), but she can't get past some stupid level that requires a complete set of perfect wins. So i guess it's time for something new.

Keep in mind that she's not very proficient at computers (I have to log her into Steam whenever the auto-login fails). I also got her Montezuma's Revenge, ans while she has fun with that, her mouse skills prohibit her from getting very far in the game. So, something chill and puzzling, and something that doesn't require too much "game-logic" would be great.

She already has Bejeweled.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That's part of the reason why this "adaptive" AI is generally bad. It's kind of like communism: seems like a good idea on paper, but it's awful in practice.

There's a reason why some of the first Oblivion mods removed the enemy level scaling - it shares a problem with adaptive AI.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

aw yiss posted:

After playing Jamestown for a while I'm looking for some more PC/emulator shmups. I'd like the game to have some sort of permanent upgrade system/unlockables. A large variety of ships would be an ok alternative. I'd like to stay away from games that have other mechanics thrown in such as Ikaruga's polarity switching.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/262260/
Here you go.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Play the Gothic series. Gothic 2 plus expansion is generally regarded as the best, i think.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I will never not read that acronym as Rule of Rose and laugh at people recommending it.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Convexed posted:

I'm looking for some games that I can play while listening to podcasts? Any genre, really. I'm looking for that sweet spot where I can be just engaged enough to be having fun, but not mindlessly swiping / clicking at stuff.

I think i recommended this before as a podcast-game, but try the number puzzler Everyday Genius: SquareLogic. It's on Steam and at that fine line where you need to spend just enough brainpower to map out the next number to find, but not so much that you can't fully concentrate on the podcast conversation on the side. Nothing worse than constantly rewinding the podcast because your comprehension keeps slipping and you lose the current topic.
It also has something like more than ten thousand puzzles, so it'll keep you occupied for a while.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I don't think my mom ever finished Riven, there was no getting past that reactor puzzle. You know the one, with the tiny colored balls.
This was still at a time when we didn't really have internet and the problem is easily fixed by gamefaqs and co. today. But having to point her to a solution on the internet is probably missing the mark.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
edit: Whoops, wrong thread somehow

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

In my opinion Heroes of the Storm is the only good MOBA out there. There isn't even a second place.

HotS' playerbase is even worse than the one from DOTA2, tho

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The hardest boss? I thought we were talking about O&S :confused:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Bogart posted:

Hey yall. I love strategy games. Fire Emblem, Civ 5, Pokemon, Infinite Space/Legend, New Xcom.

Infinite Space is a very different game from Endless Space

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The parry (or block move, in any other game) is very lenient in MGR on account of it not being a single button press. It's the same button as your light attack. Parrying is basically attacking into an oncoming attack, so it's context-sensitive and only works when an attack is actually coming towards you.
Now, the parry-counter is the one with the tight timing window. It's pretty powerful and makes you look badass, but it's also entirely unneccessary to get through the game.

Here's a 3 minute video that tells you everything about parrying in MGR:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2MHp6_SSMs

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Planescape Torment is good for philosophical cravings. Talking about existence with a dude who's the metaphysical concept of a letter is sweet.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I loved The Fall, but granted mostly for it's dialogue. I don't really play adventure games and it didn't register as one for me, and if memory serves, i only ever got stuck on one of the puzzles to the degree that i had to look it up. (It had something to do with wire, i think)

They really kinda nailed that tone of "AIs arguing with each other" in that game.

edit: i might replay it soon, actually. I thought there was supposed to be a sequel coming out, but it seems that's fallen through

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 21, 2017

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Probottt posted:

My brother is looking for some more games to get his wife for her steam account, but they're having a hard time finding games. She has a top-of-the-line machine, for reference. She like playing co-op games with my brother, and her two current favorite games are Left 4 Dead 2 and Don't Starve Together. She tried Factorio but she doesn't seem to like it as much as Don't Starve. My brother also got her the Borderlands franchise but they haven't gotten around to playing it. Any suggestions would be welcome!

Resident Evil 6 is good zombie smashing co-op fun, especially if you haven't played a Resident Evil game before. Keep in mind that most missions take like an hour, so there's a bit of a time investment to be made.
For reference, each of the campaign goes for a different kind of co-op flair: Leon & Helena are the action suspense / horror blockbuster, Chris & Pierce are the Oorah military cover shooter thriller, and Jake & Sherry are the Young Adult novel romance adventure adaption. They can pick and choose!

edit: please don't play RE6 solo

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Backhand posted:

Nier Automata probably would've made a good anime or visual novel. It's a pretty rotten game. The storytelling elements are strong. The gameplay elements blow.

N:A would not make a good anime or visual novel, or rather, only an average one. The gameplay IS part of the storytelling and writing here. Excise it, and you excise considerable parts of the narrative. The fact that you're playing it and interacting with it is part of the story.

The gameplay is also not as terrible as everyone tries to make it out to be, it just intentionally seems pretty shallow for wide appeal. If you want to, there's still multiple combos, delayed combo presses, different attack strings depending on where you switch weapons etc.
If you wanna put work into it, you gotta do it yourself though. This is the game where Easy mode literally plays itself.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's also literally NOT physically painful to look at, unless you like to stab yourself in the eyes while playing it, which isn't the developer's but your own fault

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If you can stomach GBA resolution, Metroid Zero Mission is arguably a better Super Metroid. It fixes the biggest problem with SM, namely the janky and floaty controls, and makes them super tight and satifsfying.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The only music i remember from Dark Souls is the Firelink shrine music, and i played 300+ hours of Dark Souls

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

Looking for a class based game, especially one where you can cross skills from one class to another. Obvious Disgaea, Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics/5, but any other games that do something like this on PS4 or PC?

Xenoblade Chronicles kinda does this - you get fixed characters in fixed roles, so not really class based, but you can "borrow" other character's skills and use them on a different character depending on the amount of levels / unique monsters you killed and the relationship between the characters.

And you can play it rather hassle-free on PC via emulator. Can look pretty good, too

Just remember to save state every 10 minutes or so, it can still occasionally crash

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

EclecticTastes posted:

I'm looking for a specific kind of RPG. It needs to be party-based, with the player creating the entire party (the more options, the better, within reason), and a focus on dungeon crawling (either first-person or isometric will work). However, it also needs some sort of overworld, it can't be one of those dungeon crawlers where you just trudge through one long dungeon (like Etrian Odyssey). Bonus points if it has variable dialog based on choices made during character creation. Basically, I want a game where I can create the party, and then sort of invent personalities for them and imagine the party chatter as I go through the game. Here are some examples of games that fit the bill that I've already played:

Welllll

Etrian Odyssey 4 does, in fact, have an overworld. And an airship!

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I think home design games aren't a popular genre because most people aren't interested in them. I'm not even attacking anyone, so I really honestly don't understand why people are getting so angry at me about it.

*keeps waving hands millimeters in front of others' face*

"I'm not attacking anyone! Look, no touching, no touching! Why would anyone think i'm a dick?!?!?"

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Ok, I retract my previous very mean and very nasty statement about my opinion on certain games that was attached to my many recommendations for said games in the Reccommend me a game, again thread on Something Awful dot Com.

Sorry for being mean you guys. :smith:

"I'm sorry that i offended anyone you guys got offended. That's what an apology is, right?"

By all means, keep going, i almost have bingo.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
When you die you just respawn back at base anyways, and whatever loot you might lose (seems to just be a few items) you can just pick back up at the scene of death. You can't really lose anything permanently either, sine all objects in the world are permanent unless you do something stupid like manually deleting your save's cache files.

Death in Subnautica doesn't matter, and if you don't care about the 2 copper and 1 salt you've picked up since the last time you entered your base, it's even just a handy way to quick-warp back to base

The save option is really just there to use exactly once per play session, about 5 seconds before you click on "exit game"
This is why there's no quicksave

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Aragami is a game where you're a magical shadow monster on some sort of mission to help whoever brought you to life, and there's medals at the end of each stage both for not killing a single enemy and for kill ALL enemies. (your quest is partly revenge-inspired)

The enemies one-hit kill you with their light infused swords, so you better get your stealth on to violently backstab them all.

It's kind of a janky indie game, but it's fun for a couple afternoons or evenings.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
~20GB

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

Trials in Tainted Space.

It's also free. So if that's what you're into, why not.

Isn't that the game that pulls in like 50k$ a month on patreon?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
P. sure he wrote (or is writing) like a side-activity raid quest storyline for Final Fantasy XIV.

edit: and, i guess, is/was sorta busy actually playing FFXIV during that, here's some translations of his tweets journaling the experience: https://twinfinite.net/2019/03/yoko-taro-final-fantasy-xiv-nier-automata/

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Only after I had swam to safety did I make the connection that this rear end in a top hat killed my kitted out seamoth :argh:

Shouldn't have left the lights on

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
P. sure he wasn't even called Bob, either

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
P. sure people have played and beaten Crypt of the Necrodancer with a dance mat, you really only need the arrow keys for that game

edit: plus an "Enter" and "Exit" key for menus, i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I found Shadow of War to be a downgrade to Mordor in almost everything except "amount of content", and even that can be a downgrade sor some people.

I don't know how they managed to make the UI so much worse and clunkier for War when it worked and looked so well for Mordor.