Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

other than Hyrule Warriors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
mofo over here actually trying to convince me that the game with the literal pixie dream girl swinging around a gigantic bell as a weapon that summons a winged whale is somehow less anime than Dynasty Warriors

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Genpei Turtle posted:

How solo-able are MH:W and Rise? (And are they pause-able in solo?) I used to love MH but was always bummed that everything was scaled to multiplayer so there'd be content that's nearly impossible to see when you're playing on your own.

wdym everything. Pre-world, there were even explicitly "city" quests (mostly story quests) you couldn't even do in multiplayer and were obviously only scaled to 1 person. And then there were separate gathering hall quests, who were only doable from the multiplayer hub and were scaled to multiple people (but could be entered solo if you were insane or really bored).

IIRC World did away with the distinction and made every quest multiplayer-able, and just dynamically scaled monsters up when people joined your session. Not sure it scaled them back down if people left (probably not to prevent cheesing), but if you enter a mission solo, everything's gonna be scaled to singleplayer. Barring some special exceptions like certain superbosses.

edit: also the multiplayer in world is way more modular, people can just drop into your hunt 15 minutes in just to play around for 5 minutes and then leave again, it's not a gigantic commitment anymore

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
SpaceChem is one of my favorite games but i never finished it. I only got up to the, uh, ruby space laser.

It can end up being very exhausting to play. Later levels eventually ended up with me staring at the screens for up to two hours without putting down a single symbol, just trying to figure out what i want to build. I end up needing a lot of free time just to get started.
The game starts easy when you don't know anything and just put things down and tweak them until they work. But then you discover more and more cool tricks and nifty mini-constructs, like dropping and outputting a molecule on the same turn, or forwards-backwards workflows instead of doing loops, and then you start to want to implement all the cool stuff immediately on a new solution. It ups the planning complexity so much that you i don't get anything done :v:
(That's really a me problem though, don't let this scare you off.)

The downside is a huge time investment. The upside is that i can open up SpaceChem a few years later, open up some of my solutions and go "holy poo poo, HOW did i ever build this? It's way too good! I'm too stupid for that".

Still one of the most baffling old solutions i've opened up is Gas Works Park, where i've built a carbon disassembly reactor so efficient that it's almost a magnitude faster than all other reactions needed in that level. It's so fast, it outputs a carbon atom every 2.75 cycles on average. And to make sure that my reactions don't break because of clogged pipelines, i had to make the carbon delivery pipeline 180 spaces long, taking two huge detours and taking up most of the level. My second of three reactors in this line waits a whopping 190 cycles of doing nothing just for the first single carbon atom to make its way around the entire level.

There's an optional challenge to complete the level in fewer than 2700 cycles. My solution clocks in at only a little over 1000, knocking it out of the literal park despite wasting almost a fifth of the entire runtime waiting for atoms to travel down a comically oversized pipe.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Manager Hoyden posted:

If my favorite part of From games is obscure and missable mechanics, quests, items, and areas, what other games would I like? The ideal result of such a game would be two people who have finished the game discussing it afterwards and they both feel as if the other is describing a different game

Completely different genre and feel, but regarding your ideal result, the Alpha Protocol thread back then had people constantly describing their playthrough while other were going "wait, how did you get that to happen" or "that's possible???". The thread title was "this loving game" for quite a while because people had that reaction a lot when they saw how differently the game unfolded for others.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 4, 2022

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Must have missed the part in Myst and Riven where you were expected to navigate a vehicle in threedimensional space in real time to get anywhere

Must have missed the part in Myst and Riven where you are under a strict time limit to accomplish anything and all quests and info are time-sensitive

Must have missed the part in Myst and Riven where enemies eat you when you navigate one of the puzzles in the wrong way

Must have missed the part in Myst and Riven in general where you need to pass certain skill-based execution checks to get the information necessary to solve puzzles, or even just solve them

As someone who played both Myst and Riven and noped out of Outer Wilds after exploring 2/3rd of the planets/locations i'm p. sure they're nothing alike in actually playing the game, and at best resemble each other in whatever specific abstracted categories you've chosen to break them down into while ignoring anything else

Not that Outer Wilds isn't a fantastically crafted game, but lol @ comparing it to Myst.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

One of the main endgame puzzles of Myst is you piloting a minecart through a (conceptually) 3d maze of tracks. Riven's entire world is connected by rail and requires you to use spatial reasoning to figure out where everything is in relation to each other in order to solve a comparable endgame puzzle.

I remember very vividly. I also remember that part in Riven in the holey water too in case you wanted to bring that up, but here's the thing -

If you read my statement carefully you'd notice they're nothing alike. It's like saying navigating a nethack dungeon is like driving a Forza track. You don't need spatial reasoning in Outer Wilds either to solve the :airquote: navigational puzzles :airquote: (i.e. getting anywhere) since you have an autopilot and map. The challenge and skillsets required are completely separate.

And tbh as someone who played both cases and found them to be as separate as can be, some dude Kool Aid manning in and going "actually, your experience is wrong and worthless" is kinda, ya know
but hey, i guess that's the internet

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Ah, that's good to know...looks like there's a double xp event coming up, but a heavy grind inst super appealing...

Your saves are stored locally and a save editor is just a google search away, so when you have a good grip on the game you can skip any part of the grind if you really want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Man, don't i just hate it when side characters involve the player in whatever they do instead of just doing and saying all their poo poo off-screen and just hit the things for me