Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Expendable Henchman posted:

What games are similar to Anachronox? I'm looking for sci-fi RPGs that aren't Deus Ex or System Shock or KOTOR.

Thanks!
While it doesn't play anything like Anachronox and is not really an RPG (there are stats but they're mostly pointless), it seems that a lot of people who like Anachronox also like Omikron: The Nomad Soul. It's 3rd person Action-Adventure with puzzles more akin to Point'n Click Adventures than the usual lever-pulling and box-pushing. You can also take control of other peoples' bodies, altough this feature is underdeveloped to the point of just being a gimmick. Combat is handled in form of a clunky one on one Beat'em Up or an abysmal FPS. The game has other rough edges as well, but if you can look past that, it's a good adventure in an awsome setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Frankosity posted:

I think the Wizardry games play similiarly.

Can anyone recommend some good retro action-platformer games? I'm already intimately familiar with the classics, e.g. Contra, Megaman, Castlevania, Metroid and I'm looking for something similiar. I've already played Cave Story a million times, before anyone brings that up, and I'm aware of La-Mulana.

Skyblazer and Hagane are excellent but not that well known.

Myron fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Sep 13, 2009

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Law posted:

I'm looking for a space sim, like a single player EVE online. The one thing I loved about that game was warping across a solar system to a space station, watching as this gigantic planet grows on your screen, then you come across the tiny little dot floating above it. I want a game that really makes you feel like you're just an ant in a vast sea of nothing. I tried a couple of the main ones, X3 and FreeSpace 2 but they weren't what I was looking for. The only other game I can think of is Noctis IV which I can't get to work on windows 7 sadly. :(

I haven't played it myself, but Evochron might be what you're looking for.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

I'm looking for a party-based (S)RPG with tactical turn-based combat. Games that fit that bill (more or less) that I've already played/don't want to play are: Tactics Ogre series, Final Fantasy Tactics series, Fire Emblem series, Vandal Hearts, Disgaea, Sayuki, Shining Force series, Bahamit Lagoon, HoMM series, Fallout 1&2, any squad-based game such as X-Com, Fallout Tactics, Silent Storm etc. where you can only see as much as your characters.

I'd prefer PC games, but I'll also take any console title that isn't violently Japanese or mostly populated by eight year olds in skimpy clothing (see Disgaea).

I thought Eternal Dagger or Demon's Winter by ISS might be what I'm looking for, though I've also read that they're basically predecessors to the Gold Box games, in which case I'm not interested. I know nothing about D&D rules and learning those while also getting used to a crappy interface seems a little too annoying. So what I want to know is whether Eternal Dagger and Demon's Winter are really that similar to the Gold Box games or if I'm wrong about those (the Gold Box games) and should give them another chance.

Myron fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Nov 1, 2010

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

bonds0097 posted:

Temple of Elemental Evil is on GOG now for 6 bucks and that would seem to fit the bill, it was highly lauded for its porting of the DnD 3.5E rules. Knights of the Chalice may also appeal to you.

I remember that ToEE got fairly mixed reviews, but it seems that the combat is its strongest point, so I'll look into that, thanks.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Frankosity posted:

How good is the Shining Force series compared to other strategy RPGs? I've got 1 and 2 from the SEGA Ultimate Collection, and after I gave it a spin the other day I was wondering if it's worth trying to get into. In the same vein, should I jump straight to 2 if I don't have any nostalgia invested in the series?

Shining Force 2 is better in almost every respect: better graphics, a more entertaining story, more balanced levelling, more characters, more variety etc. Unfortunately, SFII has actual random battles whereas SFI only let's you repeat the same battles. While that might seem like an improvement, the problem is that most of those random encounters take place on the overworld map. The A.I. in SFII is only slightly less braindead and fighting enemies on a plain map gets boring quickly. It's still the better game overall.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

YellowJello posted:

I've been looking for an action/adventure game in the vain of Beyond Good & Evil or Shenmue (I know they're vastly different, I'm not comparing them). I have access to a four year old laptop, a PS3, a PS2, a Dreamcast, and a Nintendo 64. Any suggestions?

Shadow of Destiny/Memories has been compared to Shenmue a lot. I never played it myself, so I can't say how similar they really are.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

I'm looking for a good Prince of Persia style 2D platformer.
I can only think of a few good ones:

Prince of Persia series
Another World/Out of This World
Flashback
Blackhawk/Blackthorne
Oddworld (Oddysee and Exodus)

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Ashenai posted:

Buy the Indie Variety Pack on Steam, just for Ares and especially Capsized. Capsized is probably one of the best 2D platformers I've ever played.

Capsized isn't quite what I had in mind, but it looks pretty good. Didn't know it was already out.

Rollersnake posted:

Heart of Darkness on PS1, Limbo on XBox 360, Braid on PC/360/PS3.

The genre label you're looking for is "cinematic platformer."

No it's not, because I'm talking about games with that specific type of movement. :colbert: I completely forgot about Heart of Darkness and I think I've actually bought it for a few bucks a couple of years ago... thanks for the reminder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Palpek posted:

Have you played Robinson's Requiem? Here, have a video of somebody atempting to kill themselves in numerous ways. You can get the game on GoG.

Its sequel Deus is considered to be better and less unforgiving, though I haven't played either of them myself.