Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Fool Circle posted:

Are there any good stealth-based games other than Splinter Cell, Metal Gear Solid and the freeware indie game Trilby: Art of Theft?

I've gotten a HUGE craving for those recently. I would prefer the games be freeware indie games, but commercial ones are fine too.

Seconding the the Thief-Series. Also, you might give Sniper Elite a try, however it is more focused on carefully scouting out the area, stealthily moving into position and shooting people in the face from far away.

Also, GyverMac: Definitely give World in Conflict a try. It has a very good singleplayer-campaign, neat multiplayer and unit veterinacy is in as well (however, they are usually not persistent between missions). No basebuilding, though.

The Codename: Panzers series is interesting and underappreciated as well. If my memory serves, it allows for quite intricate configuration of your skirmishes. Usually you buy all you units beforehand and have to make do with them throughout the skirmish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

My requirements are going to be a bit specific so I won't be surprised if there are few/no games matching my criteria:

I'm looking for a scifi space exploration/rpg styled game with a lot of character interaction and a decent story. However, it must:
-be on PC or 360 (yeah right)
-involve some ship/character customization
-be single player
-have the player managing a crewed vessel (no one man fighters)

Do not suggest (all good games but not exactly what I'm looking for:)
-Mass Effect
-EV: Nova
-Freelancer

Basically something that juggles a decent plot/characters with gameplay somewhat similar to Star Trek: Online.

X3: Terran Conflict might be something for you. You can customise your ships a bit by outfitting them with different weapons and shields. At the beginning you are still the single pilot of a fighter/transporter, but later on you can buy and command huge capital ships with arrays of turrets and hangars for smaller ships.
You don't have any interaction with the crew of your vessel, but you can command an unlimited number of other ships.

However, do not expect much in terms of plot or characters, they are rather simple. It's more of a sandbox-game in space, really.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

V for Vegas posted:

VERY ANGRY RIGHT NOW!!!

WANT A GAME TO BLOW poo poo UP!!!!!!!

(PS3 or PC please].

Seconding Just Cause 2, definitely the best game for random and senseless awesomeness.

Alternatively there is also Red Faction: Guerilla, which lets you blow stuff up with more detail.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Archipelagic posted:

I've grown a bit tired of RTS's recently, I think the thing that's missing is the ability to turtle. I used to love Total Annihilation, simply because I could spend ages in a skirmish building up an impenetrable base for the AI to throw itself against.

So, any ideas on an RTS that actively encourages turtling?

It's not strictly a classical RTS, but Stronghold and Stronghold Crusader (sort of a stand-alone expansion) are pretty much dedicated turtle-games. They're medieval castle-building sims with a fairly big economical aspect. Most of the time the goal is to build up a good fort/castle and defend against several waves of enemies, but sometimes you're also supposed to storm enemy fortificaitons.

I'd recommend getting Stronghold Crusader over the original Stronghold, as it adds a gamemode where several people build their castles on the same map and attack each other simoultaneously, while the original game only supports fights with a designated defender and attacker each.

Also you'll notice that there are two sequels with the names of Stronghold 2 and Stronghold: Legends (or something to that effect), but I'd recommend staying away from those as they pretty much suck, especially when compared to the first two games.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Grimlook posted:

I feel like playing a western RPG but I don't really like micromanaging every action that my party must make. I really enjoyed Knights of the old Republic I and II because they were simple enough and my party members could manage themselves with just a minimum of input.

Other western RPG I played and liked: Morrowind, Mass Effect I (too broke for II), Vampire Masquerade: Bloodline, Deus Ex.

I tried Fallout 2 but got lost near the begining (I should probably try again) and Dungeon Siege I (didn't really liked it for some reason).

My platform of choice is PC and I don't care if the game is old. So any suggestions?

You might enjoy Jade Empire, the one RPG from Bioware that everyone forgets about. While it plays in China (or was it Japan? I forget), it is definitely not a JRPG, but a western one.
Also it plays pretty action-y and you only control your own character in battle, so if you enjoyed Mass Effect you could like this one too.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I haven't played much of it but I'm pretty sure Stronghold and Stronghold 2 are entirely about sieging castles.

On that note, pretty much the best Stronghold is Stronghold: Crusader .
It has the general mechanics that made Stronghold 1 good pretty much unchanged, but with a few neat additions.

Stronghold 2 is said to be a buggy mess, and Stronghold Legends was pretty terrible as well.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Luminaflare posted:

Actually on that note what are some good games where you play the bad guy? I've already played Evil Genius, Dungeon Keeper (games just generally like those two would be awesome as well) and Overlord. Also before anyone suggests Fable, while technically able to be evil you're still saving the world hero style so it's not really evil (3 has this represented the best, you're not evil, just immoral).

Fallout: New Vegas is good for this. You can go around murdering literally anyone who you don't like (even quest-sensitive NPCs), wipe out entire villages (which will be properly acknowledged by the game) and just choose to side with the faction that will enslave or murder everyone instead of fighting them.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Chapel posted:

I loved Sins of a Solar Empire (+xpacs). I'm looking for a real time 4X, space or fantasy preferred; came out in the last decade preferred.

Probably going to check out Anno 1404, but sounds like it lacks the SPACE or HURRMAGIC feel I want. I want to check out Rise of Legends, too. Is that pretty much it?

There is also Star Ruler, an indie 4x developed by resident goon Firgof.
It's pretty good if somewhat unpolished and it gets updated all the time.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

NewAge posted:

I'm having trouble deciding between Fallout 3 GOTY edition and Fallout New Vegas, since they're the same price. Any suggestions?
I really liked Fallout 3 on the 360, but I never got that far and never bought any of the addons because it felt weird playing with a controller. Fallout NV looks like a lot of fun, though.

New Vegas, without a doubt. Nicer story, better writing, traits, proper companions, nicer overall graphics.
It just blows Fallout 3 out of the water in pretty much ever aspect.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

jvempire posted:

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. It's probably the best Splinter Cell in the series.

You might also want to give Velvet Assassin and Hitman: Blood Money a try, both are pretty good stealth-based games.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Daydream posted:

My dad isn't terribly good at games but whenever he played a game it was usually an FPS. Now he's asked me for something less brain dead than a straight up shooter (and I agree, C&C Renegade was brain dead alright). This is where I need some help. Him being 60+ and not very good at games in general gives me trouble finding a game he could enjoy. Something fairly simple and not too talky, which puts RPGs out the window.

So, do you know any dad-games? What does your dad play?

Seconding Civilisation, but I also found that dads often really like simulations.

Try setting him up with a racing game or a flight sim or somesuch. Good ones often have a multitude of settings that govern the level of realism, so that your father can scale the complexity up and down to his liking.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 4, 2011

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

How about Dawn of War 2? It's like an RTS fused with Diablo. In co-op, you're given control over two small squads of guys each, and you micro them intensely. There's loot to find and levels to obtain, a lot of tactics and co-ordination between the two of you, and towards the end of the game you turn into total bad-asses. It's a hell of a lot of fun to play co-op. The expansion is also a lot of fun (but kinda short), and carries your save over.

After you're done with the campaign, you still have normal versus multiplayer with up to 3 players per side. Furthermore, there is also Last Stand where each player controls a hero and you have to survive waves of CPU-controlled units. The neat thing there is that your hero levels up and gains equipment which is both persistent.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I'm currently in the mood for a nice combat-heavy space-sim where you pilot your own ship, preferably a big one.
I already own X3: Terran Conflict but I'm looking for something a bit more action-y. I've also played through Freelancer several times.

I've heard a bit about Darkstar One, does it fit the bill and is it any good?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Try the Freespace games. They're the oldschool mission-to-mission all action style of combat sim, no exploration or anything. But the combat is really freaking good. The Freespace series are easily my favorite space combat sims. The best part is that they're just $6 a piece at Good Old Games.

They may be old, but there's an open source project, FreeSpace Source Code Project, that really helps modernize the games. As a result, they run great on modern systems, support modern resolutions, look better, support modern joysticks and controllers, and so on. I believe you can plug both FS1 and 2 into it and play both campaigns on the same improved engine.

edit: Looking at the FS1 port website, it seems like you don't need to own Freespace 1 to play its campaign in FS2 Open? I'm not entirely sure about this, though.

Oh, of course. I've heard about them several times but the name always eluded me. I'll give them a whirl, thanks!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Nastyman posted:

The Witcher can be fun if you don't mind how grindy it can be. Combat reeks a bit of micromangement but once you get settled into it, it's a great timewaster. TW2 is out on steam as we speak but I never tried it.

The sequel isn't released yet, it's due in May.

Be that as it may, the first part is quite good. The combat is pretty engaging and looks really great. Also, the universe is rather unique and the story is outstanding.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Category Fun! posted:

You'd probably like Hardcore mode. In hardcore your healing items restore health over time instead of instantly, you need food, water and sleep to survive, and ammunition has weight which limits how much and what types you can carry. Some people (babbys :smug:) don't like it but I thought the extra resources to manage made NV feel more hostile and challenging. I only played the first Stalker but I can definitely see the parallels. Plus, the food mechanic is much less obtrusive than the one in Stalker, since the bar doesn't move as fast and it's much less important than water.

I'm afraid I have to disagree here. I had my first runthrough on Hardcore but I never felt like I'm actually struggling to survive in the Wasteland. Thanks to the fast-travel system the solution to thirst or hunger is just one click away at all times.
It felt more like a chore than a challenge, food and drink were ubiquitous and at the end it was just a matter of topping off 3 health bars instead of one. All it did was taking up inventory space that could have been used for fun things, like more guns or explosives.

But don't let that discourage you, New Vegas is still an excellent game, be it with or without Hardcore mode.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Spintzel posted:

I'd like a really witty game. I'd love it to be an actually good game but just a game with some great humorous writing.

On an unrelated note, I also just finished 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors and I really like how the game connected with the characters so I'd like a game with some moral choices or threat to characters that actually make you care about what will happen. Not like Elder Scrolls where you can say something rude and hilarious just because you can. But more as in if you don't make the right choice there could be serious consequences. :shobon:

Bad Day: LA is already rather old, but I remember it being pretty funny back then. Also of course all the old Lucas-Arts adventures, such as Monkey Island, Indiana Jones, Day of the Tentacle or Simon the Sorceror. Most of them should be on GoG.

And if you're looking for a game where choices matter then you definitely want to take a look at The Witcher and Alpha Protocol. Just look into the thread for the latter, people are still finding completely new ways the story can be resolved.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jan 26, 2011

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

You are not honestly recommending Bad Day LA to anyone, are you? that game was critically panned by everyone and widely considered by actual gamers as loving terrible in every possible way, and not even ironically funny. Don't play Bad Day LA.

Well, it's already 5 years back, so I'm probably conflating it with another game from around the same time. I'll withdraw that recommendation then.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Pikey posted:

Looking for a game to play with MY GIRLFRIEND while we go LNG distance for 5 months. The tough part is she's on a Mac and I'm on a pc. Genre isn't that important, but something we can play cooperatively rather than against each other would be good

I think Left 4 Dead 2 can be played on a mac, so if that's your genre it might be something.
Also Portal 2 is coming out this april and it is designed as a co-op game from the ground up.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Category Fun! posted:

Once Deus Ex: Human Revolution comes out it's going to easily take that title.

Until Crysis 2 comes out, that is :v:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

furry drum circle posted:

I'm looking for some good PC action/strategy games. Specifically stuff that really rewards spergin' out and developing the best way to play a mission/level/whatever. I just rediscovered my Mechcommander CD after a basement clean and am having a lot of fun getting the missions down perfect. I vaguely remember having fun with the first Rainbow Six back in the day so if there's a "best" one in terms of strategy I'd be interested in that. I'm not necessarily looking for an SRPG although I really enjoyed how the Fire Emblem games were balanced around unit preservation. Era/Graphics don't matter as long as it's not ascii. Help me waste my time!

SpaceChem might be for you. It's a logic/puzzle game where you are supposed to create chains of reactors so that they create/rearrange molecules. It tracks the amount of time and parts your solution takes to complete and compares it to the average in a bell-curve. So there's plenty of sperging potential to optimise the hell out of your complex.

You can also take a loot at Gratuitous Space Battles where you can choose the equipment of your spaceships, build flotillas with them and give them general orders. The actual combat part is completely automated and governed by orders you gave during the planning stage.
Once again there is plenty of potential to optimise and toy around with your ship blueprints and fleet layout. You can try and win the challenges agaisnt the AI-fleets with the minimal amount of ships possible or alternatively create an unbeatable setup that other players can try to beat.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

BusError posted:

I'm looking for a game with a similar aesthetic to Jade Empire. I just finished watching Avatar: The Last Airbender and now have a serious epic/fantasy/kung fu craving. Googling for "games like Jade Empire" mostly gets me other games by BioWare, which is not really what I'm after. I liked Jade Empire, but I'm more interested in something with a similar setting than similar mechanics (although similar mechanics would be just fine). Any ideas?

Perhaps something from Dynasty Warriors series? It is set in China as far as i can tell and may be what you're looking for. Alas I can't tell you much more since I never actually played any of it, only heard about the series from the thread here in Games.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

modig posted:

A friend described World in Conflict to me as an RTS without economy, which sounds fun given how little I enjoy SC2. Is there anything like that but more recent?

Dawn of War 2 is pretty close to that. You still have two resources, but you get them by actively capturing points in the field instead of gathering them somehwere at your home base. Also quite like World in Conflict you usually work with relatively few units that you try to preserve instead of contiously producing new ones.
Single-player completely dispenses with unit-building in favour of a quasi-rpg style where you command a few customasivle squads that persist between missions (and level up as well).

There'll be a new part coming out in the next few days (Retribution), which would be the best choice if you want multiplayer. Though the other two parts (Standard and Chaos Rising) are also completely worth it for the singleplayer alone, which can also be played in two-player coop.

Oh, and you should try to grab World in Conflict somehwere cheap anyways. The singleplayer is really good and the grapgics hold up amazingly well.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I'm looking for a new stealth game to play, but I think I've gone through everything there is. I've played through the entire Splinter Cell, Metal Gear, Tenchu, Assassin's Creed, and Hitman series, even the two Death to Spies games. I've played the lovely rear end stealth games, like Stolen. And of course I've played the granddaddy of stealth, the Thief games.

I've played the indie stealth titles out there, like Trilby Art of Theft and Stealth Bastard.

I'm thinking about giving Mission Impossible Operation Surma a shot. It can't be too awful.

It's my favourite genre but there's barely anything in it. :( Any suggestions?

On the off-chance that you haven't played it yet, try Velvet Assassin. It's a linear sneaking game similar to the Splinter Cell series. You're playing as an allied spy behind enemy lines in WW2m using mostly the shadows and your knife to sneak past Nazis. The gameplay is fine, if a tad repetitive, since you don't have as many gadgets and stuff as in SC or Hitman. The story and atmosphere is surprisingly well crafted and actually really good considering the somewhat tired setting. I enjoyed it quite a bit, and it's only 5$, so you should give it a try.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

As for me, what are some good real-time strategy or real-time tactics games set in roughly modern times? I really like RTS and RTT games, but so many of them are set in medieval/fantasy times or in the spaceships and laser guns future, I'm more interested in a near-past/present/near future setting with Abrams tanks, Hind gunships, Humvees, etc. Basically I want a ton of these guys running around blowing poo poo up.

World in Conflict is one of my favorite games of all time, and Tom Clancy's EndWar was a lot of fun for me as well, so I'm willing to go a little bit into the past or future as long as it's still more like today's technology than not. World in Conflict-style destructible environments would be a huge plus, too, but I'm willing to do without as long as the game's fun. I've played Supreme Ruler 2020 and had a good bit of fun with it, but I'm looking for something more combat-oriented.

You might be interested in Wargame: European Escalation. It's a RTS set in the cold war which plays a little like RUSE. I'm not certain exactly what year it is set in, but you have all the cool toys: Abrams, Apaches, Leopards, Chaparillas and loads more. You have units from 8 countries, 4 each per side (Pact vs. Nato, obviously). Like World in Conflict it doesn't have any basebuilding, you buy units directly and they arrive from a map-edge. However it's much more detailed and greater in scale than WiC, every unit has a whole statblock including their weapons, armor, optics, speed etc. Units can run out of ammor or fuel and need to be resupplied. It's a bit more grognardy than your average RTS, but it's less complicated than it looks at first.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Nuclear War posted:

I have, yeah. Loved 'em

The new Battletech game has a similar gameplay, though it's relatively heavier on the tactical fights and less focused on RPG aspects. It's a tad rough around the edges, but made by the same people who also made the various Shadowrun games, so there'll likely be good support down the line. Worth a look if you like big stompy robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Nalesh posted:

I know this is hard, but I always liked the chemistry system in SS13, are there any single player games that have stuff like it?(Be it called alchemy or magic, the name matters not)

It's sort of tangential, but SpaceChem might be up your alley. It's essentially about getting a bunch of elemental atoms and then transforming them into other compounds. Though mind that the focus of the game lies more in building a sort of assembly line to actually move individual atoms around and fuse them together. Similarly, the more recent Opus Magnum by the same developer is quite similar, but leans more into a magical aesthetic and has a smaller, more focused scale.