Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

Blast of Confetti posted:

Are there any games at all where the villain(s) has better motivation than being an evil rear end in a top hat? I was listening to the FarCry 3 soundtrack and it made me think how much cooler Vaas would be if there was a reason for what he did besides being an enormous cock. I'm not expecting Javert from Les Mis levels of complex, but a reason for the bad guys to be bad besides "I am a bad guy." would be nice. :v:

Knights of the Old Republic has been mentioned and is superb.

Also, Fallout 1 and Fallout: New Vegas are good for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I'm interested in games where you start out with nothing or very little and gradually become powerful, wealthy, or influential. It's the power curve I'm interested in: games that have done a good job of reflecting this progression range from Quest for Glory(espicially IV), Saints Row 2, The Sims, and the Baldur's Gate series.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

Cantorsdust posted:

I know I'm like a broken record sometimes, but Morrowind. Unlike Oblivion or Skyrim, it has minimal level-scaling. The game is balanced around beating it between level 10-20, but it's trivial to get to level 50, and with any leveling mod that uncaps things you can become an unstoppable god. That's not counting the myriad of ways that you can break the game over your knee.

I've played and love Morrowind(and at least like the other TES games) but the gameworlds are terribly static.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I really love King of Dragon Pass, but I know there are no other games like it. And I enjoyed Fallen London until it became a tedious grind. What good choose your own adventure games are out there? I already own the Ace Attorney series and the 999 games for 3DS.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I love RPGs. Western RPGS, at least. I've played and beaten pretty much every one at this point. Now I'm looking for something new-I'm turning east, towards Japanese RPGs.

Things I like in RPGs: complex character systems with lots of stats that I can tweak that have an effect on the game. Branching and reactive storylines. Good stories and interesting characters.

I don't enjoy the art styles associated with anime, but that in and of itself is not a deal breaker. Prebuscent characters are. Characters who sound and act like they're pre-pubescent are.

I've stuck my toe in a little bit with the PSP remake of Ogre Tactics and I loved it. I also played and enjoyed Chrono Trigger when I was young, but don't know if I would like it now.

I'm thinking the Persona series is a good place to get started; any other recommendations?

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

Funkysauce posted:

Goddammit here we go again.

I want to play a game like Freelancer but X Rebirth is loving horrendous and Evochron Mercenary is just missing "it". I've been playing Frontier on DOSBOX but I want something a bit newer. Was thinking about Starpoint Gemini 2. Anyone have ideas?

Have you played Escape Velocity: Nova?

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

In case you haven't heard of it, this site rules: http://www.co-optimus.com/ I love me some co-op games, and there aren't enough.

I'm gonna second Borderlands 2, which is a real fun co-op run and gun. Although, why do you say no Diablos?

Decently long, story based, co-op... How about Dark Souls? :unsmigghh: (Seriously though super great game, and really fun to co-op, and you can co-op the whole thing. Although it can be super frustrating, so definitely not for everybody. But holy poo poo is it rewarding. I love playing it co-op!)

He said no Diablos.

Divinity: Original Sin has turn based party combat-so-not a Diablo.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I am interested in two types of games:

1.)Interactive Fiction. I loved the Infocom adventures that were still present when I was a kid. Now I understand there's a thriving indie scene turning out great work. What's the best, or what's a good curated resource to find good titles? (Because I am no longer a kid and have a much more restricted time budget).

2.) Rpg/Adventure games with some aspect of base management. I absolutely loved the stronghold management in Neverwinter Nights 2. What I liked about it was you made management decisions and saw how they played out in the storyline. I played Fable 3 too, but the entire game was pretty poor. Are there other games that do this?

I understand both Actraiser and Dark Cloud do, and I'll certainly check them out. But I'm curious about other titles.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I really love Fallen London. And Fallout: New Vegas. And the Saint's Row series (particulary 2). In the same way, despite the fact they're very different games.

I think this is because I enjoy the fact that they a.) let you explore a carefully constructed and interesting world(less so Saint's Row 2) and b.) give you a sense of having a place in it and having an effect in it(more so Saints Row 2-I think I like the way you can construct and upgrade various homes and slowly accumulate wealth and power.)

In contrast, while I enjoy the Elder Scrolls games, they don't provide the same type of enjoyment. Because while they do world construction and sand boxiness well, they're too indifferent to player actions. I.e., I feel like like I'm watching the world rather than interacting with it.

What games capture this feeling well? I'm indifferent to genre or platform.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I am interested in games that put you in a setting as a nobody and you gradually establish yourself as a powerful/wealthy/influential figure. To be clear, if this growth is limited to ability to kill enemies I'm disinterested(because this is every video game, ever). This can come through both gameplay mechanics and story.

I am somewhat averse to chosen one type narratives, but if it captures a gradual progression its okay.

Features such as RPG style leveling, player housing, guild/faction systems, and the ability to gain wealth and to accordingly spend that wealth are the types of things I'm looking for. I am flexible in regards to platform. I think an MMORPG would be similar to what I'm looking for, but the MMO-part means actually feeling like your character is growing and gaining influence falls by the way side.

Games that have done this well that I've played:

The Elder Scroll Series
Saint's Row
Fallen London
Fallout(all of them except 3, but especially New Vegas)
Baldur's Gate
The Sims

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I have two requests, somewhat related. I love RPGs. I've played through most Western RPGs. I'm playing through Wasteland 2 right now. But, I'd like to expand my horizons.

To that end, I am now interested in MMORPGS and JRPGs.

MMORPGS

I have played and enjoyed The Secret World. I have played Guild Wars 2 and kind of liked it but didn't love it. I have played The Old Republic and hated it.

I really liked the storyline and several of the quests in The Secret World. I enjoyed exploring in Guild Wars 2, but couldn't get decent at the combat. I disliked the combat in The Old Republic, found exploration tedious, and the quest dismal.

Of primary importance in a good MMORPG to me would be a good storyline, well developed world, and exploration. Also, interesting quests(i.e., something more interesting than kill 5 monsters or click 5 spots on map.)

Of secondary importance are good crafting and customization options. By this I don't mean being able to play dress up or barbie or modifying your character model extensively, but a skill tree with lots of interesting options. And I love item crafting games. Also, this would be icing on the cake, but a good player housing system.

Right now I am between: World of Warcraft(which I have never played), Final Fantasy 14, and Wildstar. But I am open to other suggestions.

JRPGS

So as a fan of Western RPGs, I'm used to hearing this genre derided. But I've recently played Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 6 and absolutely loved both. The above factors play into this decision as well.

I don't love the anime art style, but its by no means a deal breaker. If there is some exemplar of the style that would overcome this bias, I'd love to try it out. What is a deal breaker is horrible voice acting, or voice acting that can't be turned off. I picked up Bravely Default and I like it, but the voice acting is abysmal, and this seems to be an issue in Japanese popular media that's been translated into English.

I love fiddling with numbers and several JRPGS seem good for this.

I am thinking the Persona series seems like the strongest candidate. System/platform is not an issue.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I'm interested in games with robust crafting systems, but as a supplementary feature. That is, not a game like Minecraft or Starbound where crafting is the point.

More like Skyrim, Fallout: New Vegas or Neverwinter Nights 2.

In particular, I'm interested in games that have good crafting systems that go beyond weapons or armor(but good weapons or armor crafting is good too). For instance, I really enjoyed cooking in Fallout: New Vegas and think it could have been awesome in Skyrim if better implemented.

Along the same lines, I'm interested in games where you can extensively customize your equipment. I'm guessing these will be mainly RPGs and 4x's. I don't care about cosmetic customization.

So more along the lines of Alpha Centauri or Master of Orion; less along the lines of Galactic Civilizations II.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I am looking for:

1.) The best interactive fictions

and

2.) the best MUDs.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I have an iPhone, and I love Sorcery and Kings of Dragon Pass. Are there any other games on the iOS like these?

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
Not a request for a game, per se, but what are the best mods for Civilization IV(that aren't Fall From Heaven)? And Civ 5?

prometheusbound2 fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 15, 2014

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
Neverwinter Nights 2 has an extensive gameplay section dedicated to building and developing a town. The Suikoden series is famous for this, and to date Suikoden 2 is my favorite JRPG (and I generally don't care for the genre.) In Morrowind, you can build your own mead hall in Bloodmoon and develop your stronghold in the main game. In Bravely Default, you rebuild your hometown(but this is super shallow and barely scratches the itch of what I'm looking for).

Basically, I'm a sucker for base building in non strategy games(especially RPGs.) What are good games that do this?

I'm indifferent to platform and genre. I'm about to start playing Dark Cloud, because I understand its a good representative example of what I'm looking for.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I played and loved Fallen London for several months. Now I think I've exhausted all my options and I'm rather bored with it. I've picked up the Sunless Sea beta. But are there any games that are similar to Fallen London, both in terms of thrusting the player into a new world they have to settle into and having unique writing and an interesting setting?

I am indifferent to genre/platform.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

Lurkee Mcgee posted:

In a similar vein, is there a story driven 4X type game? Civilization with a plot? Failing that, a tactical RPG that's not a Disgaea or FFT remake?

Alpha Centauri is probably the best story-driven 4X game, although if you've played Civ you've probably played that.

Anybody who's played the Spellforce games have feedback?

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I am a huge fan of the Fallout series(save 3). I am deeply indifferent towards the post apocalyptic setting.

I enjoy:

1.) Being able to customize your character extensively. Not cosmetically. But having multiple skills and builds that affect how you interact with the world, and not just through combat. Having a high science skills resulting in being able to understand information that your character discovers or to be able to argue with scientists and doctors is very cool. Being able to sneak and lockpick and bluff around guards instead of just shooting everyone is very cool.

2.) The "mature" storyline. Not drugs and prostitutes and gore, but villains with plausible motivations who are interesting characters. Basically the opposite of Bioware storylines, where you're usually fighting a big bad who wants to destroy the world just because. Also, different factions with amoral or multi-faceted objectives.

3.) Openworld/free-roaming non linearity. Being able to affect the story. I love The Elder Scrolls, but this is the opposite of what I'm looking for. I don't want to be able to just go from dungeon to dungeon at the time of my choosing, but to have a storyline that that allows for many choices and reacts to those choices.

I have played and beaten all the Black Isle/Obsidian/Troika games. I have also played and beaten all of Bioware games, and while they're enjoyable find them far short of what I'm looking for.

Have I exhausted all these types of games? Or are there others? Genre/platform doesn't really matter. I'm currently playing Sunless Sea and find it hits a lot of what I'm looking for, for example.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

LLSix posted:

Video games like this are really hard to find. Have you played Pillars of Eternity?

I'm also going to suggest something a little different. There's a really fantastic CYOA adventure running right now that you might enjoy: Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens. For a reactive branching plotline, it's hard to beat playing with other people, so I'm going to recommend the trad games subforum. Sometimes it can be pretty hit or miss, but there are some really fantastic games being run there if you can get into the PBP mechanic. 6 or 7 games are looking for new players right now.

I kickstarted Pillars of Eternity and want to stay away from the Beta because I want to go in fresh. But I am incredibly excited for it. Also, Serpent in the Staglands.

Awesome, suggestion, I'll check it out! Unfortunately my work commitments may limit my ability to take part in something collaborative. There don't seem to be many AAA(or even A or B) games that match watch what I'm looking for. Sunless Sea and Fallen London have fulfilled what I've been looking for more than anything, so I've been trying to branch out to different experiences. So far I've found that some of the games that have fulfilled what I'm looking for the most are unexpected: browser games like Fallen London, and phone games like 80 days and the Sorcery! series. I've also been interested in checking out MUDs and text adventures(I know we have a MUD thread, but suggestions as to the wheat from the chaff would be very welcome).

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I'm in love with both Fallen London and Sunless Sea. But the grind of Fallen London is starting to bore me, and the random brutality of Sunless Sea is a turn off.

Accordingly, I'm interested in recommendations for interactive fiction and MUDs. I am aware that Interactive Fiction awards are given annually and that's a good place to start, but I'd love recommendations from people who have played and enjoyed specific titles. And I know that we have a MUD thread, but it seems spare for evaluations of actual games.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I am interested in science fiction games with alien aliens(i.e. not humans in funny make up a la star trek or Mass Effect). Something along the lines of what Master of Orion III tried(and failed) to do. Star Control 2 had a good mix as well.

I am indifferent to genre or platform.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I'm looking for MUDs with good writing and interesting settings that emphasize and exploration and making your place in the world. I'm aware that there's a MUD thread, but it doesn't do much to seperate the wheat from the chaff. I'd also take an MMORPG in that vein.

Basically, I adore Fallen London but have gotten bored with it.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

I've recently started playing on my iPhone 6 and I'd like some good suggestions. Preferably games that aren't typical App Store crap. I purchased the port for XCOM which is pretty great.

King of Dragon Pass: A port of a great PC game that's wholly unique. You run a stone age tribe in a fantasy decision, making both Civ style decisions about how to manage war and economy and expansion and RPG style decisions on how to deal with problems and scenarios as they come up.

Sorcery/80 days: Extremely well made and well written choose your own adventure games made by the same company.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

cisco privilege posted:

Maybe not exactly a 4x but have you tried Alpha Centauri Alien Crossfire? Think it's on GOG.

Just out curiosity, but if SMAC isn't a 4x, then what is? I think the governors are even based around the 4x's.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I am interested in games that do an excellent job of transporting you into a world and having you establish your presence there. I'm not interested in a specific genre such as RPG or Shooter or what have you; I'm indifferent to platform or to turn based or first person perspective or isometric, etc.

The characteristics of a game that would match what I'm looking for would include:

-A unique, well developed and fleshed out setting. Writing and story are important, although I'm indifferent to a good main storyline. For instance, the Elder Scrolls does a good job of this because of the well developed backstory and interesting sidequests, despite the dismal NPCs main story.
-A certain degree of non linearity. You're able to explore the world at your pace, rather than being led around by the nose.
-Recognition of player actions/means to interact with the game world. Factions to join; decisions to make. Not in the Bioware sense of a tightly scripted main story with lots of incidental plot lines, but again more in the Morrowind sense where you can join different factions and ascend in their ranks.
-A power scale. I want to go from being broke, weak, and a stranger to wealthy, powerful, and influential within the gameworld.
-This is optional, but being able to buy or control property(like in Fable, or in the Elder Scrolls, or GTA: San Andreas) is a big plus, espicially if there is a variety of "lovely" to "awesome."

Games that excel at this include:

-The Elder Scrolls, for the well developed and interesting gameworld, as well as non linear exploration.
-Fallen London and Sunless Sea-A++ writing and gameworld, plus the sense of becoming more familiar with a bizarre setting and going from a nobody to someone with fame, wealth, and influence
-Darklands-the slow climb from irrelevance to power in a player driven, non linear fashion
-Baldur's Gate-if only for the power progression
-Fallout:New Vegas, for doing all of the above in a superb fashion.
-Saint's Row 2: This is a bit of an outlier, but I really enjoyed the pace and sense of the power/wealth progression.

I have played almost every Western RPG. I have tried a few MMORPGs, including Guild Wars, The Old Republic, and World of Warcraft, but I bounced off of them.

Examples of types of games I am not looking for are Planescape: Torment and Mass Effect. I love both of these games but I'm looking for something with less narrative structure/looser main storylines. Actually, a Mass Effect 2 with the main story ripped out, and a non famous, less predefined protaganist and more time spent on building up ancillary areas would be the perfect type of game if it existed.

Likewise, the Witcher 3 isn't really what I'm looking for either(although I am playing it now and adore it) because it features a character who's relationship to the world is already too well defined and who is already well known and influential.

Like I said, I am indifferent to genre. I think that Elona might be what I'm working for, but haven't made it more than 5-10 minutes into it. Any suggestions appreciated!

prometheusbound2 fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 17, 2015

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
Master of Orion III was so so bad. Not just because it was a boring, lifeless spreadsheet of a game. But because it had so many ideas that genuinely seemed cool and exciting.

One of those features was the emphasis on making alien races that were actually alien, with well developed backstories and history(I am a bit of a story dork in video games). I'd rather the interaction be a bit more involved than killing the aliens.

I am interested in video games, either science fiction or fantasy, that feature genuinely alien non human races. Genre doesn't matter. The list of games that I can think of that do this are pretty short, but for reference here's what I have already played that does this well:

Alpha Centauri-Living planet/collectively conscious fungus!
Star Control 2-there were a fair amount of oddly colored humanoids, but a lot of really cool ideas as well.
Alien Legacy-an obscure early Sierra game
Endless Legend had some really cool races story wise, like the Cultists and Broken Lords and Necromorphs and also gets bonus points for giving each race radically different mechanics.
Planescape: Torment (duh)

And that's really all I can think of(other than Master of Orion III, which was complete poo poo).

prometheusbound2 fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 5, 2015

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I am interested in games with strong, non random loot systems. Think the Infinity Engine games.

Characteristics that would be cool include:

-Unique features of inventory items. Not +1, +2 etc.
-Flavor text/bits of backstory included with each item.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
One of my favorite features in any video game was the stronghold management in Neverwinter Nights 2. I understand that Fallout 4 will have a much more indepth version of this feature, and I'm eagerly anticipating it.

Something that NWN2 did(or tried to do) that I am not confident Fallout 4 will do is include not only upgrade options for your actual buildings, but showed the effects of your decisions on your community through things like quest lines, incidental dialog, equipment of guards, etc.

What are other games that offer similar features? I played and loved Suikoden 2, but found its stronghold building less interesting because it was more about linear upgrades/collection.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I adore Fallen London and Sunless Sea. I love its atmosphere and its writing and its sense of humor. But what I think I love the most is that its a game about exploring a strange world and establishing your place in it, rather than beating a big bad.

I'm interested in other games like this. I love the Elder Scrolls series, and it comes close, but not quite. The stories are bad and outside of Morrowind the settings boring. Fallout: New Vegas actually probably comes closest, because not only is it an open world to explore with good characters but it has a reactive storyline, good writing, and feels like it has a sense of place, and you look start off as a nobody and gradually become more influential.

Being able to build a character in different ways and have choice would be critical to what I'm looking for, and that's not quite in the Elder Scrolls.

I'm thinking MMORPGS may be good for this but I've found the gameplay of every one I've tried tedious and boring and don't like the dialog systems of "box of text, click okay, no real options."

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I am interested in games with really interesting loot systems. I don't think Diablo and Diablo clones have interesting loot systems, or at least not the type I'm looking for. Rather, I'm thinking of games like those in the Infinity Engine series(and, by extension Pillars of Eternity) where equipment has unique features beyond randomly generated features(so the Elder Scrolls is also out). I am particulary interested in games with lots of fluff background text for their equipment, where unique items have their own stories attached to them.

I'm indifferent to genre, but I think this will most commonly seen in RPGs. Strategy games with neat backstories for technology and units are also cool: Age of Wonders does this well.

I understand Dark Souls is supposed to be good for this, but I've tried and really don't enjoy the gameplay.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Some loot in dark souls has unique mechanics but its the exception more than the rule. The real strength of different weapons in souls games is the different fighting styles, but that's not really what he's describing. (plus lots of weapons overlap styles and just have different stats anyways, which is what he's saying he DOES NOT want)

I would actually say dark souls is a bad example of what he wants. You're focusing on the fact that dark souls has lots of world lore and details in its loot, and he did ask for items with lots of fluff so I guess that works. But it sounded to me like he wanted unique abilities more than anything else.

Ironically he's very wrong about Diablo. If you've only played the beginning few levels of diablo, yeah, its all randomly generated loot. But anybody who has gotten any amount of good at Diablo 2 or diablo 3 knows its almost all about the uniques / legendaries. Those are all specifically named and have specific unique abilities you often can't get from skills or anywhere else in the game, and most of them are so unique and powerful and game changing they actually enable entirely alternative builds and play styles. Getting the right legendary can completely transform a class. Sets as well.

I am interested in unique mechanics and I will check out Diablo, as you're correct that I've only played the initial stages.

Never meant to set off a fight, but I guess that happens when you mention dark souls.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

al-azad posted:

Space Rangers is also poorly translated with huge text dumps of nonsensical dialog. Part of the charm, though, and there's nothing else you could call Homeworld The RPG.

Did Space Rangers HD improve the translation? I played and loved the original iteration, despite the horrible translation. I have the HD version in my steam library and would definitely dive back in with a good translation.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
In Quest for Glory 4, every character distrusts and dislikes the protagonist at the beginning of the game. Slowly, the other characters begun to trust and like him. I like this story element. You start off as a distrusted stranger and slowly earn a positive reputation(its like the opposite of Mass Effect.) Any other games with this story element?

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
Playing lots of Fallen London has gotten me interested in MUDs. I'm particulary interested in well realized, well written settings and detailed character building. Exploration and rising from nothing to something are of particular interest. Any recommendations?

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I really loved the stronghold quests in Baldur's Gate 2 and Neverwinter Nights 2, as well as the castle building system in Suikoden 2. I've played Pillars of Eternity and Blood and Wine, and found their stronghold mechanics somewhat perfunctory.

What are good non strategy games with awesome base building mechanics/sidequests?

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

BeefThief posted:

Any good space trading games? It's okay if it's old as long as it's aged well. I'm looking for something like Port Royale maybe but with some adventure, ship/fleet customization and ability to grow from a lowly start.

I'm not looking for something first person, or really even with 3D graphics necessarily. There was a game I played years ago that I think had yellow text and kind of a light blue aesthetic if that rings a bell. I haven't ever been able to find it but I think that's actually the game I'm looking for.

Somebody suggested Starsector a few pages ago and that was fun but it's kind of shallow (still quite good for an early access game). And it seems to be more combat focused but I get my rear end whipped unless I just leave autopilot on or play on Easy like a punk.

Escape Velocity: Nova is one of my favorites. The economics isn't particulary complex, but the feeling of adventure and story is fantastic.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I just ordered a top line gaming desktop to replace my five-year-old, functional but weary desktop. Typically, 4x games and RPGs are my jam (I finally upgraded because my current computer didn't meet the recommended requirements for Civilization 6, and while I played Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 on my PS4, I'd really like to experience them on PC). But neither of those genres have a lot of demanding games, so I'd like to know what's new and bleeding edge from the past 2 years. I think the last graphics intensive game I played on my PC was Wolfenstein: The New Order.

I enjoy action shooty games, but I am bad at them. Therefore, heavily multiplayer based games probably aren't a good pick for me. I'm interested in the new Doom, but I understand the singleplayer campaign is very short so I'll probably wait for a good steam sale.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is definitely my next purchase. I'm also very interested in Dishonored 2, when it comes out(the first is one of my favorites of all time).

I really enjoy a well-done story in games, so Mafia III is intriguing. I love exploration, so I'm looking at Just Cause 3(also for dumb fun explosions).

Any other recommendations?

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Have you been playing the Total War games? Total War Warhammer is great, as is Shogun 2. Skip on Rome 2. Find a buddy to play Divinity Original Sin with, that's the best RPG for really emulating the pen and paper RPG feel. Also check out Exanima, as it's the prologue to a game that I feel is really going to push RPG combat if not forwards at least in a different direction. Endless Legend is a must play for 4X if you haven't already, and it's gorgeous.

Original Sin is one of my favorite games of the past 10 years. I've played pretty much all of the big Kickstarter RPG titles(Divinity; Wastlenad 2; Pillars of Eternity, Shadowrun because they're pretty easy on system requirements). Shogun 2 I played religiously on my current system; it it was top of the line when it came out. Definitely want to check out Warhammer when it comes out as my current system is below the minimum specs. I adore XCOM2, but it barely runs on my current computer so I'm looking forward to a smooth experience with all the bells and whistles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
Let's talk about space 4x. It used to be a dead genre. Now it's blossoming. It seems like a new would be successor to MOO2 crops up almost daily. There's been a lot of crap, but the past few years have seen some really brilliant releases: Stellaris, Galactic Civilizations, Sword of the Stars. Endless Space was very much a rough draft, but Endless Legend is, in my mind, the reigning king of the entire genre(sorry Civ 6), so I'm eagerly awaiting Endless Space 2. As a strategy game, MOO2 is a primitive and outdated design. But I still find myself coming back to it. It comes down to the space combat and ship design. Now, MOO2 didn't have the most tactical space combat, but it was a hell of a fun toybox. In most space 4x games, ship design means linear upgrades of weapons, defenses, engines-if you want to get REALLY creative, maybe sensors. This is boring as hell and frankly the genre would be better off with Civ style static units rather than tedious and superfluous custom ships.

In Master of Orion 2, you could customize your ships with actually diverse systems. Your spaceships could have scout labs for research and space monster fighting bonuses, or lightning fields that had a 50% chance of zapping incoming missiles and space fighters. Missiles always hit, but took a few turns to hit their target and could be shot down; beam weapons had a miss chance but struck instantly. Weapons like black hole generators immobilized ships before making them implode; ion cannons fried ship systems to disable their weapons or targeting systems; death rays killed off crew in advance of assault shuttles that could capture enemy ships. Part of what allowed this diversity of gameplay is that fleets were relatively small(rarely would you manage more than a handful of ships) and combat was turn based. The modern trend seems to be massive fleets buzzing around each other in cinematic combat (BORING!!!!!!!).

Is there any modern 4x that captures the MOO2 sense of ship design and combat? The only other game that I can think of that comes close, and its not modern at all, is Space Empires 4.