Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Looking for either a full-on stock market simulator or a game which heavily features buy low/sell high trading as a central focal point of the game. I just played through The American Dream and got a bug about it. I've played Freelancer and Elite and all the space trading games, but I'd really like something that's MOSTLY about buying and selling commodities/instruments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I'm looking for a commercial flight simulator (not a combat sim) which has some sort of business model or economy in it. Basically, I love flight sims as chill desktop apps that I can use while I'm listening to podcasts and stuff, but just the standard MSFS model of "pick a plane, go fly somewhere" is a little too open-ended for me. I'm wondering if there's a game out there that has me running an airline or being a commercial pilot for hire, and I can ferry passengers, make money, buy new planes, etc etc etc. Sorta like Euro Truck Simulator, but with planes.

Failing that, some kind of mission structure or goals to focus on beyond "fly to this place" would be cool. AFAIK, MS Flight isn't supported anymore and it wasn't really that great to begin with, but something along those lines.

quadrophrenic fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Sep 12, 2014

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

The Dregs posted:

Been playing Divinity Original Sin and it just can't hold my attention, mostly due to the poo poo storyline. It has, however, made me crave some turn based tactical combat. I am trying to decide between getting the Enemy Within DLC for XCOM, or Xenonauts. I stopped playing XCOM a while back due to it being buggy as poo poo, but they may have fixed that by now.

Any opinions on which of those two choices is better?

I mean there's also Wasteland 2, which has been pretty great at scratching that itch. It's pretty story-heavy, but if you dig the setting/storyline more you might like it.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

NeoSeeker posted:

Also I'm looking for a large scale game where I can drag along a terrible regime and terrorize other factions and their citizens. The way I see it Either: Civ 5, Crusader Kings 2 or Europa Universalis. Which of the three allows to be the biggest most oppressive dick? Both inside my own faction and to other factions. Like sending sappers to an enemy city or assassins or some poo poo like that.

The dickery in EU4 all feels strangely bureaucratic, much less "doin sick spy poo poo" and much more "i won half your land through a convoluted inheritance fuckup!". I've played nearly to world conquest in that game, and I never felt oppressive so much as successful.

CK2 is definitely has more of the cunning, arbitrary terror feel to it, but idk. I never liked how you never felt like a big dumb polity in that game. I like making the map one big blue thing that says FRANCE on it that's bigger than the other pink and yellow things that say like Navarra or some poo poo.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Man, something about the loot in Diablo 3 just seems so boring to me. Maybe it's nostalgia glasses, but I remember finding legendaries and uniques in DII being a game-changing experience, but in DIII it's just always +agripofstats. Meh.

Play DII with Median XL. Now THAT'S an ARPG where loot has profound effects on gameplay.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
My intro to the old infinity games was Planescape Torment, and I still think that's the best one of the bunch by a mile, but only because it has a great story and really sharp writing. No co-op though.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Is there like a better, more modern version of Transport Tycoon Deluxe? I've played OpenTTD and Cities Skylines. Both great games. But I want that OpenTTD feel in a hella modern game. Preferably on sale.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Card hunter got a steam release a few months back, is f2p and still loving fantastic

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
looking for a nice chill puzzle-y type mobile game for Android

nothing with too high of system requirements, my current phone is kind of a PoS beater

I enjoy things like nonograms and crosswords for killing time

help me to kill time

basically i just want a good mobile game that's not the bog standard PnD-type grindfest, nor a Clash-of-Clans style skinner box, nor an "art game"

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

nachos posted:

Hitman Go?

got it, played it, beat it, but bang-on with the suggestion, something just like that would be perfect

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
there's a few horde-style single player fpses these days

devil daggers, tower of guns, ziggurat

going back in the past a bit there's painkiller, bulletstorm, etc etc

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'm somewhat interested in trying to convince my friend to play Divinity: Original Sin but I feel like that type of game just wouldn't be fun co-op because of the slow pace. I feel the same way about Baldur's Gate or even the Tales games. Am I wrong?

it's a slow-paced game for sure, but i think BG is a bad comparison, at least on game mechanics. it's more like x-com mechanically

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Could I sell it to him as an RPG X-Com then?

sure

i mean it's obviously not a 1-for-1 comparison, but i think D:OS scratched the same kind of tactical itches that X-Com did for me

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Plancescape: Torment is the best of the bunch imo

Fallout 2 is still pretty fun after all these years

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Recommend me a game: you should probably just play divinity: original sin

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Danger Mahoney posted:

Fill in the blank: If you liked Factorio, you'll love __________.

Played it to death and wanting more.

Nom nom galaxy.

I don't even need to say more because it's literally the perfect answer to that question.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

prom candy posted:

Anno seems kind of cool, is there a specific entry in the series that stands out?

I like Dawn of Discovery (aka 1404) but only because I like the graphics and the art and the general theme

The later ones are all more or less near- or far-future. The gameplay remains fundamentally the same, although they added some Ubi rear end metagame stuff to the later entrants in the franchise.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Zaphod42 posted:

So what you're looking for is basically Command & Conquer.

There haven't been a whole lot of RTS games in the last decade period, much less modern war ones. There's Starcraft 2 and... Company of Heroes 2 and... grey goo and...homeworld... that's about it.

Most are Sci-fi, some are fantasy, very few are modern.

Homeland, Grey Goo, both good but sci-fi, there's HD remakes of Age of Empires 2 and Age of Mythology, but those are historic/fantasy, I don't really know what to suggest for you dude.

I guess just go grab one of the older Command & Conquer games, maybe Generals?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/427250/

dumb name, pretty cool game

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Kinda? Story heavy real-time tactics, units that can level and persist across levels, no base or resource management. And yeah, squads versus entire armies. I've got all the Dawn of War games, I should try them finally.

I've never played Myth 2 so I might be way off base here, but you just described Valkyria Chronicles to a T, and that's one of the best games ever made, so go play that

It's on steam now

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Anno 1404 on one of the chill difficulty levels

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

C-Euro posted:

Asked this a couple weeks ago and never got a response- I gave Rogue Legacy another shot after bouncing off of it on my first go, and now I'm jonesing for some Metroidvanias on PC, perhaps more Vania than Metroid (so RPG mechanics rather than straight exploratory platforming). I'm sure there are a shitload of these out there, but what are the best ones?

How amenable are you to roguelikes

Because Vagante is fun as gently caress, very underrated, and meets your criteria

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Valkyria Chronicles is amazing

Go play it right now

My only gripe with that game is that it's too short

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
man if you have the patience to learn how it works vic2 is a fukkin work of art

if you're used to newer paradox games i could understand how you might not like it, it didn't completely fulfill the "all variables are accessible and transparent" ethos of Clausewitz 2 pdx games

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
card hunter still holds up, I recommend the steam version though

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Ulio posted:

Any good strategy/tactics/RTS games?

I am thinking of Battletech, Frostpunk, Into the breach.

Any suggestions? As long as its on PC.

I'm enjoying Prismata atm

It's like if MTG was an RTS, it's pretty neat

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
good recent (or recent-ish) non-space 4x games?

looking for something kinda like civ vi, but, y'know, good

eta: i have played and enjoy endless legend

quadrophrenic fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Sep 18, 2018

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
battle brothers is dope, but not really a 4x game

will check out the others

or maybe just play some battle brothers again :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quadrophrenic