Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I've been having a strange itch lately, I'm looking for a singleplayer arcade (i.e not simulation) war planes game, especially if it has aircraft carriers and other ships, bonus points if you can use them too. I don't particularly care if it's based on WW2 or a more modern era. There's any good games that fit this description?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Borderlands 2, same poo poo as the first, though longer. Farcry 3: Blood Dragon a.k.a Best Game Ever. Red faction: Guerrilla, I know it's not an FPS RPG but it's open world aspect is fun.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Rogue Legacy is pretty decent as well.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

OrangeSoda posted:

Those are on the PC? Whoa. I thought they were console only games.

Already got it, it was a rage-inducing blast.

Then Super Meat Boy if you don't have it already, it's super difficult though. Also, Volgarr The Viking for some old school platforming.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 30, 2014

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Inzombiac posted:

I'm looking for some fun an absurd fighting games that I can play locally on PC. Some Naruto game is on sale and I remember liking the dumbshit anime fights from some early DBZ games. Are the modern ones fun?

Kung Fu Strike, Be warned, it's super hard.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Fruits of the sea posted:

I'm stuck with an old crappy laptop (2 ghz Core 2 and geforce 9300) for the next 2 weeks and need a recommendation for something to play in the evenings. I'm ok with just about anything that I can easily walk away from if something comes up. So no racing games or diablo clones, I guess?

Games I've enjoyed a lot in similiar situations:
Baldur's Gate (and all the infinity engine games at this point)
Pharoah
Alpha Centauri (Was never able to get into Civ 2 or 3 after Alpha Centauri)
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup

Dungeons of Dredmore, is like Dungeon Crawl but with a friendlier UI and other nice things.
Zeus, which is like Pharaoh but slightly better.
The classic X-Com games (Enemy Unknown, Terror from the Deep and Apocalypse). Turn based and you can save anytime you wish.
Master of Orion 2, the ultimate sci-fi turn-based 4x strategy game.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
I've recently moved due to work and I've left my pc behind, bringing with me only my new laptop, which have a decent processor but a lovely intel integrated graphic card.

I'm itching for a good turn-based strategy game, I own a fair steam and GoG library. Recommendations? I own Civ III, IV and V, but I doubt I can run V, and I detest IV's unit stack combat, is III worth a try?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

All Civ games have stack-based combat except V, if you really hate it that much it's not the series for you.

Maybe, I really like CivIV but I'm just really bad at combat.

Chomp8645 posted:

Since you put GoG titles on the list I'd say that you can't go wrong with Master of Orion 1+2 (they're sold together) and King of Dragon Pass. If you're not familiar with them, the MOO series is space based 4x strategy, and King of Dragon Pass has you managing a quasi-viking clan who trades/feuds with other clans, beasts, and the like. Both are turn based, should run on the lamest integrated graphics card you can come up with, and both are great games.

e: Plus they are on sale right now!

I already own Moo2, which I've played to death in the past fifteen years. I play it from time to time but I'm looking for something different. I own King of Dragon Pass too, but I've never played past the first hour or so of the game, it's mechanics seems really obscure, maybe I should try to get some tutorial for this game.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You should try to see if you can run V, I've seen it work on low-power systems and it has a board-game like 2D strategic view that might work out for you.

I've just tried and it seems to work fine on my laptop, hoorray! :) Should I get the Brave New World epansion? I have the gold version, with Gods&Kings.

Kanfy posted:

Try Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic unless you dislike fantasy settings.

I like fantasy settings, in fact I have that game, when I finish my playthrough of Heroes of Might and Magic 3: Chronicles I will give it another chance.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Retribution is great, specially the Ork campaign.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Rollersnake posted:

I'm looking for more MAME/Arcade games my girlfriend might enjoy. Platformers, sidescrollers, or single-plane beat 'em ups (the genre Bad Dudes falls under) with co-op play, and not macho/military-themed. Already familiar with the Bubble Bobble, Snow Bros., and Joe & Mac series, as well as Cadash and Nightmare in the Dark.

Guacamele! Super Turbo Championship Edition, it's a pretty fun sidescroller/platformer with coop.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

MPLS to NOLA posted:

A few days ago someone was asking after HOMM games. HOMMIII Complete is the best mostly for having a really reliable random map generator but Tribes of the East (standalone expansion for HOMMV) is also pretty cool and has more involved combat and is on sale for $2.50 on steam, and if that weren't enough, you can use a fan patch to add all the features from the base game and other expansion. Wow! what a deal!

And if you like long campaigns with overpowered characters, buy the Heroes III:Chronicles pach on GoG when it goes cheap on sale.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Soho Joe posted:

Looking for an open world PC game where traveling is fun and interesting, i.e. not speed walking at street level or struggling to back out of narrow passes on a horse or god forbid yet another "realistic" car stealing game.

Also I just played GTA 5, so if the game must have cars, at least give me a git gud button to make physics break.

I am very needy, tia

Saint's Row 2 to 4. The second one is great with the Gentlemen of the Row, courtesy of fellow goon IdolNinja, The fourth has the most interesting ways of travel (ie superpowers). All of them are ridiculous and fun. If in doubt, watch some of the LP's on the archive.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Dongattack posted:

What do you have outside RTS?

Plague Inc.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Protons posted:

Crafting was a pain in the rear end from what I remember. SWG was the only game I can recall that had degrees of quality on crafted goods. For example, you could craft your own medical packs to heal and buff yourself with, but depending on a.) the quality of materials you paid for or farmed extra hard for, b.) the quality of the fabrication machine you used to create the items, which then had it's own levels of component quality, and c.) your skill at crafting, you could easily make healing and buffing items that would be 10x better than someone who used standard stuff.

Pretty much this, and to add salt to the injury, the average quality of the natutal resources available for crafting varied greatly from server to server. Europe Infinity-2 player here, aka one of the servers with worst materials ever :(

Still one of the best mmorpgs experienced I've ever had.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Play God Hand.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Planescape: Torment.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Isaac posted:

Is there a jagged alliance 2 successor yet? Ill even take ja2 with a new map.

Do you like tactical combat similar to JA/X-com? you don't mind trying awesome/slightly creepy things? do you enjoy watching little blue spacemans beating red evil spacemans? Loud yelling? Awesome music and Faux-Latin? Are you a virgin nerd/warhammer 40k fan?

If you answered "yes" to any of those questions, then Warhammer 40,000:Chaos Gate is the game for you, brought back from compatibility-hell by GoG.com!

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

dylguy90 posted:

Empyrion is awesome. I haven't seen anything like it, but I've heard Space Engineers is similar in style to it. Plus they just added planets.

As for me, I've been obsessed with maritime trading sims lately. Been playing Sunless Sea, Port Royale 2, and Patrician 3. I'm looking to explore this genre some more. Any suggestions? (Already own X3)

Look for Ocean Trader, it's old and abandonware but it's pretty good.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Zaphod42 posted:

Making you play the game twice shouldn't count :cheeky:

That one in Ghouls and goblins (and the squel) is one of the biggest dick moves in the history of gaming.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Accordion Man posted:

New Shadow Warrior, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, and Wolfenstein: The New Order for starters.

All of this, plus Blood Dragon, everybody should play Blood Dragon at least once.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

khy posted:

Any thoughts/suggestions on games to help ease them into becoming better at games in general?

Maybe some of the lego games? They are great for kids and entertaining enough for adults, especially if they like the source material, like star wars, LoTR or Indiana Jones, for example and they are not skill-intensive.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

khy posted:

Another question. I love the 'serious sam' games, and other FPS style games from within the last few years where it's you vs a huge rear end horde. Gimme a gun with a couple hundred rounds, some explosives to clear crowds, and I'm happy. What recent games similar to those have come out? Preferrably single player with a story but I'll take multiplayer if that's all I can get.

Hard to say, the Serious Sam series are basically the pinnacle of the "you vs horde" shooters. If you value the story and fun, I'll give Shadow Warrior (2013) and Farcry 3: Blood Dragon a try, they both have a good/decent story, fun gameplay, humor and a reasonable number of enemies to mow down. Heck, if you don't mind a western setting, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger is pretty good, too.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Seconding Hoplite, great game for some quick playthroughs.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

NeoSeeker posted:

Sorry, I should have made that edit quicker but that's the last series I really was able to get into. And get into I did...

Also on a little aside, what's the best mod for Far Cry 3?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dofacvjRkc

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm looking for a good boxing game, PS4 or PC. I played the (latest?) Fight Night for the PS3 to death and want something like that. Ideally, I'd create a boxer and go through his career, but it's not required if the gameplay is good.

If you ever find a good one for PC, please tell me.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Lemon posted:

Can anyone recommend me a game that has a heavy focus on squad/roster management?

Templar Battleforce
Warhammer 40k: Chaos Gate.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Shakill OReal posted:

Can anyone recommend games that are cheap (Like $5-10 or less) for 3-player internet co-op on PC?

Either something designed for 3 players or where we won't be disadvantaged without a 4th.

Nothing competitive or where we play against other players.

The two friends I'm playing with are not big gamers but we're not looking for 'casual' games, one is bad at videogames and the other is okay, nothing that's super hard or complex.

Has to be pausable or turn-based or have plenty of downtime

No traditional MMOs

We can only voice chat sometimes

Games we've played:
Trine (great)
Civilization (fun, but too much time spent waiting on the one guy who's hella slow to make decisions)
Alien Swarm (cool)
Hero Siege (fun)
Risk of Rain (fun)
Dawn of War 2
Magicka (It was fun but one of the players is so bad at videogames that he mostly just killed us over and over and felt bad)
Diablo 3 (and we're burned out on ARPGs now)
Starbound (had lots of issues getting multiplayer working when we tried yesterday and gave up)
Don't Starve Together (none of us are in to these survival-type games)

Games we're considering (we're cheap and can only afford 1-2)
Terraria
Monaco
Running with Rifles

If you enjoyed Alien Swarm you'll probably enjoy Helldivers too.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

HenryEx posted:

Planescape Torment is good for philosophical cravings. Talking about existence with a dude who's the metaphysical concept of a letter is sweet.

Ditto on Planescape:Torment, is pretty much a (good) book in video game format.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Azuth0667 posted:

Are there any good modern PC games about running a business? I've seen several nice old games but, can't tolerate the aged graphics anymore.

What's your definition of "modern"?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Robo Reagan posted:

Any games like Overlord 1 and 2? I like the whole minionmaster who sits around not doing much and letting the swarm take care of things idea. Something similar to GW1's/D2's necromancer classes are a good example.

Dungeon Keeper 1/2, but they are old real-time strategy games.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Fat Samurai posted:

Dominions 4 :unsmigghh:

This and Solium Infernum.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

massive spider posted:

Whats good and engaging for iPad? I have the longest, dullest train journey coming up and I've 100%ed FTL

Twilight Struggle, but you won't get the full experience without multiplayer.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Max Payne 1 and 2 are freaking fantastic, except for a pair of super awful levels.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
I've been on a turn-based games mood lately, any recommendations for single-player turn-based games? I've been playing some classic but getting burned by the huge amounts of micro. I'm looking for any good single-player turn-based games, with deep and/or engaging gameplay but without huge amounts of micro, either strategy, rpgs or a mix of both are fine. And yes, I've played all X-Com games to death.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Battle Brothers.

I see it's actually out instead of early access like the last time I saw it, it's worth the price? Steam reviews are good but I remember reading some mixed ones when it was in early access.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Going to give it a try, thanks for the advice.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Turtlicious posted:

I loved the humor in Bulletstorm, and the parts of Wolfenstein that are meant to be funny, I also liked Shadow Warrior, and Bad Company 1/2, are there any other first person shooters / super action-y games that have awesome feel good stories like that that make you laugh while you play and have big rear end set pieces and cool things to fight with or against?

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger has great story elements and action with some humor, and Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon for goofy humor and retro action. Both are great, but not really long.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

bewilderment posted:

Huh, I should have mentioned some of these. Witcher 3 we had some fun with, and she really enjoyed Sleeping Dogs and is mad I played through it myself and not with her, so I picked up Mad Max since it was on sale for $5.
Alan Wake was a good recommendation, we watched an LP.
Far Cry 4 is sometimes cool and sometimes boring.

Try Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon and Call of Juarez: Gunslinger.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Police Automaton posted:

I'm looking for some mostly text-based (simple 2D graphics are ok, but it should be functional - it's an issue I actually have with many modern strategy games, they are flashy and have nice shader effects and a 3D map when a simple graph overview in some situations would be preferable and less tiring) strategy game that'll scratch my C64 "startegy games that just consist of text" itch, but with added complexity modern computers can bring. Lots of fiddly systems and mechanical interactions are a plus. I know all the classics and also games like the Democracy or Crusader Kings series. A unique setting would also be a bonus. Show me games where I can make numbers go up!

Dominions 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Q8ee posted:

I'll get back into Subnautica. Been a drat long time since I've played that. No Man's Sky I'll pass. Gameplay isn't for me, far too repetitive.

Are there any good sports games for the PC? I bought NBA2k17 but it was utter garbage. Unskippable cutscenes, which ain't so bad apart from the fact there were 5 minute cutscenes NONSTOP. Fifa, I'm contemplating whether I'll get it or not. A basketball game or ice hockey game would be sick. I wanna start a team and build them up.

I'm looking for exactly the same thing, let me know if you find something worthwhile.