Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Hello. I woke up this morning and I felt the sudden urge to swing a two-handed sword in first person (so no Soulslikes or For Honor, please). Is there anything more recent than Skyrim that I could check out for this undoubtedly early sign of a midlife crisis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Thanks for all the suggestions :) I'll check out Elderborn first. I'd rather not get sucked into another endless addiction-machine online game, so I'll stay away from Vermintide and Chivalry.

Kingdom Come is a game I've meant to get back to, and I'm curious about Bannerlord since I played M&B1 back in the day, but both will take a bit of time before my char can go all Conan on people I think. They're going to be next in line after Elderborn.

And I've played a LOT of Cyberpunk recently, but the melee is definitely not what I had in mind - Sasquatch's Hammer is the only weapon that has decent weight.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

FutureCop posted:

Anyone have recommendations for cool and big FPS adventures like Half-Life 1 or 2? Was recently watching Woolie play Half-Life 2 and realized I haven't played something like that in awhile: lately when it comes to FPS games it's been a long line of more xtreme boomer shooters like Turbo Overkill and while I love those, there's something about the big ol' adventure of Half-Life with set-pieces, puzzles, exploration, and good shooting that appeals to me. I feel like I've already played most of the likely suggestions of the Metro series, FEAR 1+2, Prey, Wolfenstein New Order and Old Blood, and so on, but maybe I'm missing something obvious, or there are some good unknown ones.

Cyberpunk has excellent set pieces, exploration, and great shooting (if you pick the shooty skills), though not much on puzzles. If you don't mind occasionally stopping to sell a bunch of loot and upgrade your cyberware, it's a top-tier game.

And given what you said Destiny 2 is worth experiencing even if you have absolutely zero interest in multiplayer, and even though the original campaign has been a tragic victim of the GaaS model. But the shooting is unparalleled and the set pieces are breathtaking, and harder activities are (in)famous for their puzzles too. You can check out the free to play version and get a short tutorial campaign plus a bunch of shorter adventures called "strikes"; then you can play the first mission of each of the paid campaigns, and drop $25 on Steam if you like them.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

The General posted:

iRacing works best because depending on your pleasure, you might be waiting a week for your next race :v:

Then I think it's not suitable. I believe the 15-minute break is critical because it's a time slot that cannot be used for anything but reading (more on this later). Over the course of a week he'd just do other things.

And the "just read a book!" replies miss the point in the same way. Yeah, an adult should have the concentration ability to just read a book, and it's absolutely worth working on that, but the can already thank God he's in the 1% of first-worlders who aren't addicted to phone scrolling instead.

So if he already has a habit where his 15-minute downtime is spent reading instead of giggling at memes or smoking or snacking, probably safer to keep it.

Incremental games I think are worth a shot, as long as the rate of interaction required is roughly along those lines. They're not my genre at all, but I will recommend trying Universal Paperclips as it's free as well as a small, beautiful work of art - don't look up anything about the game because it's best experienced unspoiled, and even Wikipedia spoils the concept in the very first paragraph.

Otherwise, I'm gonna suggest finding an old, near-dead multiplayer game that appeals to you. For obvious reasons developers try to avoid downtime, but when a game has a sufficiently low number of concurrent players you'll end up with reasonably long matchmaking timers.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Fighting Elegy posted:

I've been playing a lot of Bomberman (mostly Saturn Bomberman and Bomberman Max) and before that Metal Gear Solid, and now I got a craving for slow paced, maybe even clunky, action games where you have to be very deliberate when handling enemies.

What I like about these games is having my brain adapt to style of gameplay, or complicated controls. I've realized that being able to "get good" and understand the mechanics of a game is a lot of fun and right now I'm looking for more originality than polish or ease-of-use

Definitely check out SUPERHOT.

Dishonoured might also be up your alley.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Boomer shooters qualify for everything but progression mechanics (you'll get a new gun every few maps and that's it). Check out Boltgun for example.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

someone awful. posted:

what are some games where you can do stealth archer-type shenanigans that aren't Elder Scrolls/Bethesda?

Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts 2 is on sale right now and it's almost all about this.

The game alternates between two game modes: one are the iconic set pieces (2-3 per mission) where you need to shoot a bunch of targets 1km away with bonus rewards for not raising alarms or for pulling off trick shots. That part feels like playing Commandos if your mouse cursor had bullet drop, it's really a puzzle game in disguise.

Everything outside those set pieces is open and you can go as loud or as stealthy as you like - but you obviously have a lot more options for going stealth than for going Rambo (and while you have regenerating health, you're almost Garrett-level fragile). There is a bow, plus a sidearm crossbow from one of the DLCs, but you also have a drone that shoots tranquilliser darts, traps, throwing knives, a silenced turret, and of course melee takedowns - and most guns can be silenced and/or equip magic bullets.

The game has basically no story (or rather it's best ignored as it's just War on Terror clichés), but it's got the right length and watching your ambushes pan out and the nameless mercenaries plop down into the grass never gets old. And the set pieces do a great job at breaking up the game into a nice loop of action->puzzle->action.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

I'm looking for a party-based CRPG where my companions already have their poo poo together from get-go and don't need me to be their therapist.

IMO: the Divinity: Original Sin 2 companions are all on personal revenge quests, but they're adults and they just ask you for a bit of combat assistance while they mostly handle their own business. (Which makes sense as they're all potential main characters, and unlike BG3 it's strongly preferred to pick an origin to play as).

You can chat about their backstories but none of them are mopey or needy, if anything they're more likely to be overconfident and nonchalant.

(Caveat: I didn't play with Sebille or Beast, and Ifan was my main, so I can't speak for them but none seemed the mopey type, and it would surprise me if there was a significant difference in dialogue length with the other three.)

e: for something less mainstream, you can check out Colony Ship.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 25, 2024

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

UltraShame posted:

I really liked Divinity Original Sin 2 and Baldur's gate 3. This has caused me to dip into a genre that I have never really played before: Turn Based Tactics. It's essentially bite-sized turn based CRPG fights. Gimme that distilled CRPG battle.

Aarklash Legacy may well be the game for you. It has virtually no story and just enough lore to make the 8 characters distinct; minimal loot and exploration and no side quests.

What it is all about is amazing battles that will require you to plan and execute a precise strategy, and skill trees that let you create interesting synergies between your selected characters. And you'll need those synergies to survive the nasty powers that some bosses can pop up.

One thing is, it's a RTWP system, like BG2, not turn-based like BG3, which may be new to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc-N0M5zFh8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

I got a new PC and would appreciate a list of gorgeous games, specifically single player games.

Cyberpunk 2.0 is an obvious choice, I just got done playing Dragon's Dogma 2, and I've bought but haven't played the first FF7 remake.

What are some other options? Armored Core 6?

As long as you're not paying full price for it, and you can tolerate cringy YA/Marvel writing, Immortals of Aveum is a perfectly serviceable magic-based FPS à la Hexen that flexes UE5 very well to paint some lovely environments and particle effects.