Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

The Grinch posted:

Thought it'd be better posting in here than starting a new thread.

I'm looking for a few new games. I like epic RPGs (think Fallout 3, Skyrim) and first person shooters (Half-Life 2), and I also enjoy RTS games (Sins of a Solar Empire).

I'd like a couple new ones, ideally in either high fantasy settings or space-based. I'm not too fussed on the setting of any FPS games, though. They don't have to be really new, but I'd prefer newer to old.

Any suggestions?

Deus Ex: Human Revolution, should tick all your boxes. Galactic Civilizations 2 with all the expansions is a must-play too, though turn-based rather than RTS.

I just ran into a game-ending bug in Stalker: CS so I could use a replacement. Something really atmospheric with lots of guns, upgrades, shopping etc. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

rawrr posted:

I'm looking for a game to play, and unfortunately WoW has sort of ruined most single player RPGs for me - I just couldn't get into games like Fallout, Skyrim, or Borderland since the whole quest system reminds me too much of WoW. Deus Ex: HR and Arkham Asylum were the only RPGs I could get through, but for some reason I couldn't get into Arkham City.

I like games like HL2, Bioshock, Portal, and indie ones like Binding of Isaac and Bastion. Is there a game that I should be playing?

I think you'd really like Crysis 2, and maybe the Stalker games if you don't mind messing with mods.

Baldbeard posted:

Hey guys, I'm looking for a game that has a lot of 'grinding' in it. I basically want a game I can just chill and mindless level up or collect loot/rares or whatever to help me relax after work. FF12 was fantastic for this, and I'm trying to find a good replacement without entering the dark world of MMOs. Disgaea games are good, but go a little too deep.

I don't even care what genre it is, if there's a great racing game that has a in depth progression system I'm all over it.

Bonus if it's PS2, PC, or PSP.

Torchlight is the game for you. I think you get it free or something if you pre-order the sequel, too.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

Tae posted:

Skyrim is on sale for 50% off, but would you recommend it to someone that couldn't really bother to play much of Fallout: New Vegas but severely loved old knight times to heavily play Dragon Age?

Hell yes. I never nearly finished New Vegas, but Skyrim is a blast. Looks gorgeous too, especially if you mod that sucker up good.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

letgomyAgo posted:

Looking for a good grand strategy or 4X game. I've cleaned out most of the Total War stable recently, played out on Civ5 and most of the Paradox library. Tried endless space and found it lacking.

Anyone have any hidden gems then can point me to?

Have you tried Galactic Civilizations 2? Think Civ, but in space. It's pretty great.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

McCloud posted:

I am also looking for a co-op game, but one where you can both play it offline together on the same ps3. I'm pretty sure this covers a wide range of games, but any suggestions are welcome. Preferably where you can play the main story/campaign co-op.

The first Resistance game makes for surprisingly entertaining splitscreen with campaign co-op, as do RE5 and RE6. There's also Earth Defence Force, but that can get a bit repetitive.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

TehGherkin posted:

My buddy and I have been smoking up and going through some old favourites on the PS1 like Tomb Raider and Metal Gear Solid. We wanna play some two player stuff though.

Does anyone have any recommendations for great two person games on the PS1? Either co-op or versus, we don't mind, although co-op is preferred. Any genre is good with us, although RPGs are the favourite (We're gonna start up Legend of Mana soon)

Circuit Breakers, for the occasional fun racing session. It's like Micro Machines, but better, and masses of fun.

The original Diablo is great for coop on PS1 as well.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

Major INTERSpess posted:

I'm looking for a tank simulator similar to my childhood favorite, Armored Fist 3. I've tried T72 but it's a tad bit too Russian for my taste.

Steel Beasts is expensive, and hardcore, but really damned good. If you want a tank/APC sim, it's the only way to go.

e; maybe check out some YouTube's of it, see if it looks like your thing before committing the dosh.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop
I've been really enjoying One Finger Death Punch, and it's put me in the mood for an old-school beat em up. I'm thinking of the days when all games were played with joysticks, and so you only had like 8 moves to worry about. Ninja, Double Dragon, Chop Suey, that kind of thing. Scrolling affairs where you take on buttloads of NPCs with nunchakus and stuff. Are there any modern beat em ups that are nice and simple like that, without crap loads of combos to memorise?

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

Chinook posted:

You can download Streets of Rage Remake here, which is supposed to be pretty great:
http://www.soronline.net/sorr_downloads.htm

Nice! Will give it a go. Thanks!

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

pumpinglemma posted:

Can anyone recommend a good PC turn-based strategy title for my dad? Specifically I'm looking for something in the mould of Advance Wars or the old Battle Isle games, where the emphasis is on tactics and there's little to no civilisation-building. (I've already picked up Endless Legend for him, so he'll have something to scratch that itch already...) I know Panzer Corps is meant to be excellent, but I'm not sure he'd be entirely comfortable playing as the Nazis.

One of the Combat Mission games? I can't seem to adapt to the UI of the newer ones, but with someone to show him the ropes he'd likely be okay.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

Zaphod42 posted:

So if you love dialogue options, go for old text-based RPGs; they all have tons of them.

I don't know why more games don't use the old Ultima style of dialogue, whereby you pick out key words from NPC dialogue to ask them about, plus a few standard queries, plus possibly secret things to ask them that you find out from other NPCs. It was a pretty great system, I thought.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop
Are there any games out there which count ammo for handguns / rifles properly? i.e. so you either discard whatever is left in the mag when you reload, or end up with a half-full mag you can use later, rather than just continually pulling full clips from a pool of ammo? I'm sure I've played some very few games that do, but I can't remember what they were.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

Kanfy posted:

as did earlier Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six games.

Oh yes, that's what I was half-thinking of. Ta.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

ninety posted:

I want to try submarine simulation games, where's a good place to start? I'm new to sim games in general but I'm not worried about complexity and difficulty as much as quality. I don't want to learn how to play one of these things and find out the game I picked out is a buggy broken mess afterward.

SH3 with the Grey Wolves mod is fantastic. SH4 is, I believe, also okay, but stay the hell away from SH5.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop
Maybe a weird request, but are there any CCG games that are decent to play single player? I've not played a CCG, but for some reason I'm in the mood for one - but I've no interest in playing against other people. Anything that fits?

Also, any recommendations for computerised board games would be appreciated. Have been mucking about with Talisman and quite enjoying it (when it hasn't been busily being a oval office).

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop
Cool, will check those out. Cheers guys.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

RabbitWizard posted:

Etherlords 2 is a CCG with single player that i played forever. It's 5$ on steam and i can highly recommend it.

poo poo, this looks like a perfect fit! Thanks!

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop
Anyone know of any (PC) strategy games with a decent skirmish mode, where you buy your units in advance - like the original Battlefront CM games? I believe they got rid of Quick Battle, or at least unit purchasing, in the newer ones. I've got zero interest in playing a campaign; I just want to assemble a hosed-up army and go improvising on some random terrain against the AI.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Total War? The single battles have a point system if I remember correctly.

Cool, thanks, will give it a look.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop
What are the good Christmas-themed games? I can only think of Robocod but I'm sure there must be more recent ones.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

Queering Wheel posted:

What are some games where you can be like John Wick and get brutal, quick kills on loads of enemies, using guns and hand to hand combat? I like Payday 2 for that (especially since you can actually BE Wick), GTA, and the Hotline Miami games. Counter Strike also fits the bill to a lesser extent (it's a lot harder to go on a killing spree without dying yourself.) Anything else out there?

Okay, so this is from a couple of weeks ago, but: Max Payne, my dude. Max Payne and Max Payne 2 (and maybe 3, I dunno, I heard 3 was a bit crap) are the John Wickest games. No finishing moves as such, but you won't miss them when you're diving down a flight of stairs in slow-mo, firing akimbo uzis at a gas tank.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

double nine posted:

Preferably spy-related, main character definitively a high-functioning smartass jerkface. Must be funny.

NOLF 1+2? Uncharted, maybe?

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop
Funnest twin stick shooters on PC? Ideally I'd like Super Stardust HD but that doesn't seem to be an option. I did try Housemarques new one instead, but I didn't like it much.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

kirbysuperstar posted:

Assault Android Cactus is really good.

Hell yeah, looks great! Purchased, thanks. :)

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

bewilderment posted:

Huh, I should have mentioned some of these. Witcher 3 we had some fun with, and she really enjoyed Sleeping Dogs and is mad I played through it myself and not with her, so I picked up Mad Max since it was on sale for $5.
Alan Wake was a good recommendation, we watched an LP.
Far Cry 4 is sometimes cool and sometimes boring.

Since you've got a PS, what about the Uncharteds? Or have you done them already?

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

Yar The Pirate posted:

I'm utterly unfamiliar with soccer and the screenshots of Football Manager make me a bit worried I'd need to know way too much about the game to get a return on my interest in the form of an interesting playthrough. I've got a copy of FM2016, so if it's not as complicated as I'm thinking it is I've got no problem jumping right in.

You don't need to know all that much about soccer to start playing FM. If you already have it, I'd say give it a shot. Pick a random team and dive in. Leave training and arranging pre-season games to your assistant to start with so you don't need to worry about those, and just play a season.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop
Been having a surprising amount of fun with Counterspy, despite a few niggling flaws. What other period Cold War / M.A.D. games are there out there these days? I've played NOLF and NOLF 2 and MGS3 to death, and Papers Please, and Defcon, but I'm sure there must be others.

e; oh man, Phantom Doctrine looks awesome - but it's not out til next year. :(

Flopstick fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 12, 2017

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

Malt posted:

Twilight Struggle.

Oh yes, nice! Ta.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

Lechtansi posted:

Hey goons, I'm looking for a new game to play and I'm wondering if you could give me some suggestions based on the games I've loved this year and games i didn't love.

MGS5. (Like you, I can't usually be arsed with open world games, but it's good.)

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

Turtlicious posted:

Can you recommend me / tell me it's poo poo / give a review on Destiny 2?

"Just play Warframe. It's better and it's free."

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

Capsaicin posted:

Any games with good mysteries? I'm looking for things that involve whodunnits or just investigating cases. Genre isn't as important as the theme, since I've liked games with "mystery/crime" themes regardless. I've played Ace Attorney, Deadly Premonition, Planescape Torment, LA Noire, Murdered Soul Suspect, Wolf Among Us, Heavy Rain, Her Story, Alan Wake...basically anything with a big reveal/mystery type situation. Any ideas?

Until Dawn?

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

khy posted:

I want to play a large-scale multiplayer FPS.

I actually don't know what the squad size limits are, but Day Of Infamy is basically a modernised Day Of Defeat, if you ever played that. Doesn't involve loads of sitting around after you die.

Stanfield posted:

What are some good slower-paced shooters?

Also like I said I grew up on consoles so assume I haven't played anything that came out before 2015 other than Half-Life.

The Stalker games for sure, especially the first one.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

Chas McGill posted:

I really wish they'd make a Necromunda game - so much character and it'd fit the XCOM template really well.

I sometimes imagine an Agents Of SHIELD game done a la Xcom: EU, and drool.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop
I could use some Steam recommendations for a nine year old boy who recently lost his father. He likes CS:GO, though can't really match the competition online, and One Finger Death Punch, though he needs help with some of the trickier levels even at beginner difficulty. Considering Cities: Skylines...any other suggestions?

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

StrixNebulosa posted:

Cook Serve Delicious

Oh yeah, that's perfect - thanks!

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

nachos posted:

Are there any other games like pyre without a fail state? I don’t mean “death is a mechanic” games like souls but one where you winning or losing events is baked into a branching storyline.

Until Dawn?

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

Tenacious J posted:

and going way back ... Soldier of Fortune. It was awesome to be able to shoot the enemies arms, legs, or gun to disable them.

What else does this well?

Dead Space?

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

Lechtansi posted:

I've finally decided to buy a playstation, so I can get into those sweet sweet exclusives. Besides Horizon Zero Dawn, what other PS4 exclusives are there that I should check out?

Until Dawn

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop
I picked up the first two Zero Escape games on a whim and, while I've only played the first one so far, I've been surprised by how much I enjoyed it. (tbh, I could do without it having quite such a creepy attitude towards sex and purity and so forth, but it's still very good.) It makes me wonder if there's a whole raft of similar multiple-path puzzle games out there I should be checking out. Any recommendations? I've already played Until Dawn, which is also dope as hell. Are there any others I should look at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

Stefan Prodan posted:

if you liked the zero escape series this game is actually very good for a free game

https://vgperson.com/games/yourturntodie.htm

be warned it's not finished it's a one man project and he makes like a few hours worth a year but I actually do recommend it

I'll queue it up - thanks!