Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Played a ton of Civ 5 and Advance Wars, can anyone recommend any good military themed turn-based strategy games? Preferably ones with less empire management and more pushing armies around the map.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Mar 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Coffee And Pie posted:

And are there any good non-fantasy text adventure/CYOA games? I've been playing a bit of Amnesia and Alter Ego, those are a lot of fun.

Try Bureaucracy. The game chronicles your attempts to fill out a change of address form as written by Douglas Adams. (Seriously)

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Besson posted:

Please give me any interesting game that has been labelled by nerds as 'pretentious'. I eat up games like Every Day the Same Dream, Kentucky Route Zero and The Cat and the Coup. I like weird, interesting games that go out on a limb to try and say something interesting and profound.

Have you tried playing OFF? It's a little RPG maker game translated from the original french, the most pretentious language. Best part is it's free!
Download here

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Just another reccomendation for OFF for any fans of RPGs like Earthbound. The main battle theme is one of the most addicting and bizarre things I've heard. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1EPegIzD2M

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Bruc posted:

I've looked into warlock some and might pick it up, however I was really hoping with something with more RPG elements. I really liked how I could have a handful of named hero units I could gear out and set abilities for in Fallen Enchantress, though the game overall just felt a bit "off" to me.

E: Heroes of Might and Magic VI looks like it could fit these criteria well, does anyone have experience with that game?.

E2: Actually I picked up sins of a solar empire: rebellion to give space 4x games a shot since it's on the steam sale today.

Another one to look at is the Age of Wonders series.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Was just at a local factory outlet store, and there was a 5 for $20 deal on some older PC games. Didn't buy any today, but I'll be back there on Monday and wanted some opinions on some titles that caught my eye:

Port Royale 3
Gothic 3
Torchlight
Tropico 3
Patrician IV
East India Company
The Guild II: Venice
Fallout
The First Templar
Cossacks Anthology

I enjoy a bit of strategy, exploration, number-crunching and a little bit of grinding. Civ 5 has eaten a decent chunk of my time if that's any indication.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Thanks for all the input. I'll definitely have to double check when I get a chance.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Can anyone think of any turn based strategy titles that calculate player turns simultaneously? I know most 4Xs technically do, but it's not in that Diplomacy-style, chart out your moves then they all occur as a single step sort of way. The idea came up during a brainstorming session with a game-dev group, but I can't think of concrete examples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Co-op VR Sub sim is probably the most niche thing I've ever seen. I can't imagine more than like a couple hundred people being super interested in that. That said, I'd try it.

If you can wrangle 8 friends together but don't want to buy VR goggles you could try Captain Sonar.