Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

DoubleCakes posted:

My mother is looking for a new game, something easy for someone who's not a gamer. She usually plays those hidden object games but she wants to try something different. I think I tried getting her to play Gone Home a while back but she doesn't do good with Keyboards. She prefers sticking to the mouse.

EDIT: She also likes a lot of those mobile games where you just wait for resources and build towns and stuff. I think a traditional SimCity game would be too hard for her but maybe a simplified easier version of that.

Kingdoms and Castles is a very simplified SimCity game. I believe there's an option to play without raids/enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Recommend me a game.

Some games I really enjoyed recently:
- Shadow Tactics
- Battle Brothers
- Divinity Original Sin II
- Invisibility, Inc

The obvious recommendation is probably XCOM 2, but are there any others? In general I much prefer playing games from smaller studios rather than big AAA titles.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

I don't play RTS games anymore because all I want to do is turtle.
Is there a game that is all about building a base and defending it?

I've hear They Are Billions is pretty okay.

They Are Billions is really good already. Goon 'deep dish peat moss' has a point that a situation can spiral out of control very fast, but once you learn to use your walls correctly and use some units patrolling it really isn't that bad at all. Problem is the default difficulty level is really tough, people don't seem to realise it's okay to tone it down a bit if they have trouble reaching the point in the game where you have defenses on all sides.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

McFrugal posted:

What are some good Final Fantasy Tactics-esque games? I'm playing Voidspire Tactics right now, and the subclassing system is just deep enough to feel good. It helps that the maps are full of hidden loot to find. I kindof wish terrain had a greater role but RPGs almost never include terrain in the gameplay these days anyway.

Fell seal: arbiter's mark

It's a very good pastiche of fft.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

credburn posted:

Guys I really like Battle Brothers and want to play more of that kind of thing. I have a laptop and a lovely touchpad for a mouse, so I can't really do anything in real time. I like RPGs, and progression, progression, progression.

Into the breach and invisible Inc are extremely good. I also really like battle for wesnoth.

That said, you should probably check out emulators as well. They're made to be used without mouse, can run on any stone age laptop and there are plenty of good rpg's. Closest to battle brothers is fire emblem.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Pierzak posted:

Anybody know any good games about (or with an important aspect of) reclaiming contaminated land, rebuilding a ruined city, or otherwise restoring a destroyed/unlivable location back to a livable state? Older titles welcome.

They are billions is pretty good already and the campaign should be coming out soon.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Pierzak posted:

poo poo, I forgot to reply to the reclamation game suggestions :doh: Thanks a bunch for the titles!

They Are Billions: I've burned myself on early access games so I'd rather wait until it actually gets finished. And it seems more of a "desperate fight to not lose ground" which is the opposite of comfy rebuilding.

Fair enough. The reason why I mentioned is that the campaign will be focused on pushing back the zombie horde and reclaiming territory from them. THe survival maps are kinda like that as well, you start with a very small base and have to clear zombies from the areas around you in order to have room for your building/settlers (in order to get big and trong enough to survive the final day). No harm in waiting of course.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm looking for a game that:

* does not have DRM and can be played single-player, so that I can put it on a flash drive and copy it over to a hard drive and just run it directly without passing through any kind of internet or client service
* is 3D and was made within, say, the last three years, so that it's relatively taxing on hardware

My use-case, so to speak, is to be able to have something that I can use to validate that a system I'm testing is stable and capable of some gaming without having to jump through lots of hoops.

I took a quick look around GOG and I feel like the only titles that fit would Everspace (which I'm not really familiar with) and Hard Reset Redux (which isn't even really that demanding)

Perhaps http://www.minetest.net/ ? It might not be demanding enough.

Otherwise, take a look at https://itch.io/games/free/tag-3d/tag-singleplayer .

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Battle brothers, Invisible inc and Into The Breach are all extremely good games. They're each pretty much the best game in their category.

That said, if you haven't played Divinity Original Sin 2 you really consider playing that because it's probably the best game in it's genre as well, the combat is extremely solid.

In my opinion:
- Turn based Games we'll still talk about in 10 years because they're just that good:
-> Divinity Original Sin 2
-> Into the Breach
-> XCOM (2)

- Turn based games that are currently really unique and great, but I can still imagine a sequel or other game improving on them.
-> Inivislbe Inc
-> Battle Brothers

- Turn based games that are extremely good as well but not in the above categories
-> Mutant year zero: road to eden
-> Fell Seal: Arbiters Mark
-> Druidstone: The Secret of Menhir Forest
-> Pillars of Eternity (2) in turn based mode
-> Warhammer 40K: Mechanicus

Obviously list is incomplete because there are only so many games I've played.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Are there any other good tactical games in the genre of Fantasy General II or Wesnoth that people can recommend? So hex based army vs army where each unit occupies one tile and there is no distinction between the overworld map and the map on which combat is fought. I guess Civ 5/6 also have the same combat, but obviously their combat is just rubbish.

I played Fantasy General II a bit and really liked it, but halfway through I realize I actually still vastly prefer Wesnoth's combat:
- In fantasy general most units have between 2 and 4 movement, while in wesnoth units the move range is between 4 and 9. I think this is the biggest reason why I like wesnoth more, because of this slow movement your tactical options are often very limited and it just feels really slow as well.
- Wesnoth's combat is all about rotating units constantly and the front line is in general extremely dynamic, moving all the time. On hard difficulty you really have to know when to retreat (and you have to do it often), try to outflank your opponent and just move your units around. In fantasy general you often have 2 armies staring at each other and exchaning blows for multiple turns with very little movement (in comparison).
- In general it's much more difficult to keep all your units alive in wesnoth, they feel much more fragile.

Things I prefer in fantasy general ii:
- The story is obviously way better and the campaign is pretty nice
- Morale is a pretty cool mechanic
- Units having a squad size and this determining their combat strength etc is a pretty good mechanic

What else is there?

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Thanks for the suggestions. I've already played Battle brothers, Into the breach and Endless Legend, all good recommendations although they're a bit different. (Endless Legend is good despite it's combat though)

Forgot about unity of command. I remember looking at it once and having the impression it was more of a puzzle since I believe your starting units and situation are always predefined for the mission? I'll check it out.

Never heard of the langrisser series but I have the impression there's nothing remotely recent?

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Remakes of the first two games just came out last year, and are getting Windows ports this year. There was also a 3DS game in 2015, and a mobile game last year.

Cool, I'm going to wait for the windows ports then. Thanks!

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

Are there any good laptop-friendly (integrated graphics) squad/roster management games like Battle Brothers or Darkest Dungeon released in the last few years that aren't one of those two games?

Perhaps star traders frontiers? You could also check out nowhere prophet.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

forkbucket posted:

Does anyone know of a good pixel art cyberpunk tactical anything? It could be turn based, real-time, whatever really. Satellite Reign but pixel art for example, but doesn't necessarily need to be a squad based thing. Also open to anything within the cyberpunk genre with good pixel art regardless of game type! Open to good mods as well. Broad request I guess, but I have a cyberpunk pixel art itch to scratch!

Not sure if it meets the pixel art criteria, but otherwise Invisible Inc is a really obvious recommendation. Not only is it a tactical game with a great cyberpunk setting and squad based, it's also just really good.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

khy posted:

Are there any good city-building games with a distinctly sci-fi bent? Something like Banished or the Settlers but with future-tech or set on a non-earth planet?

Industries of titan is probably exactly what you want, it's set on Saturn's moon in a dystopian future.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/04/21/industries-of-titan-review-early-access/

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

MistressMeeps posted:

I have an unreasonable request. I'm looking for a multiplayer (4 person) game available on Steam that is cross platform, can be run on a slightly older laptop and is free to play... Also it can't be terribly difficult to learn or too stressful. The pandemic finally helped me convince my non-gamer friends to play with me. 😊 But I'm getting tired of playing Ticket to Ride repeatedly...

Teeworlds fits all your criteria, but I'm not sure if there are still people playing it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/380840/Teeworlds/

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

field balm posted:

Looking for games where I can rapidly theorycraft builds. Examples of what I'm after are games like bytepath and nova drift. Doesn't have to be a shooter those were just the first examples I could think of! Even stuff like crimsonland I guess.

I'm looking for the experience of building a character like in diablo/path of exile but without the time sink - ideally a playthrough would last less than an hour.

I definitely don't want traditional roguelikes, or to rely too heavily on random drops or anything. Ideally I'd get to choose skills/perks etc that I want every playthrough.

Doesn't have to be an action game - I'd prefer it was but I'm open to interesting suggestions.

Iratus lord of the Death has a lot of options for theory crafting. A playthroug is longer though. Not much randomness.

Trials of Fire also contains theory crafting and the playthroughs are very fast, but there's some randomness involved.

Slay the Spire is an obvious recommendation but it contains a lot of randomness.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Looking for something a bit more strategic as a counterpoint. I burned through Chimera Squad and it awakened a strategy itch. I tried getting into Disgaea to no avail. Really loved FFT and Tactics Ogre in the past. Really anything where you get to pick abilities and grow your units into demi-gods.

Seconding Fell Seal as homage to FFT. Alternatively: Battle Brothers, it's a game around building a company of mercenaries with very good tactical combat and very solid progression.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Artelier posted:

Slay the Spire is great and it's my most played game on Steam ever I believe, but it's not quite the same thing. I want to collect and expand my deck. I think there are old games like Duel Masters and Snk vs Capcom something something, which ones are the standouts? Modern games are fine too, I just don't know of any. Besides Slay the Spire. Which is amazing.

The review website Rock Paper Shotgun has an article called "monster train might be the best deckbuilder since slay the spire" today, so that might be worth checking out.
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/05/22/monster-train-might-be-the-best-deckbuilder-since-slay-the-spire/

Myself I'm a pretty big fan of "Trials of Fire", but it's very different.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

A LOVELY LAD posted:

Hey,

I'm looking for couch co-op games that I can play with someone who is really not good at games, ideally on PS4 although PC would work if we can both use controllers.

We tried Overcooked, Spelunky and Lara croft temple of Osiris and it gets a bit frustrating trying to instruct while also playing (esp the boss fights in Lara Croft). I saw there's a co-op harvest moon out but it looks a bit dump. I've seen theres lego games and little big planet could be a shout.

Thanks!

Perhaps Trine? It's puzzles and platforming but I don't remember anything being overly difficult in the first 2 games (didn't play 4 yet, trine 3 is apparently not very good).

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

My turn for a question:

What's missing? What deckbuilders or similar thinky card things SHOULD be on there?

e: Added System Crash, I love that single-player TCG. So there's +1.

Trials of Fire is pretty good! However, it's still in early access.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

HellOnEarth posted:

I'm trying to find a new RPG to fall down in for like 200 hours, but I'm tired of replaying the ones I have. I've replayed all the Final Fantasies, Ateliers, Disgaeas and Tales of games that are available on modern consoles and most of the big standalone titles like Octopath Traveler, etc. Basically I just want some kind of bullshit anime fantasy story in a turn-based or otherwise not-too-frantic battle system. Anime optional, it's just where my brain is at.

I haven't gotten into Trails in the Sky bc I bounced hard off the first one so I'm not sure how the rest of the series is. I'm also not that sure if Star Ocean is like, anything.

I've got a PS4 and a Switch, but no PC access.

Perhaps Divinity Original Sin 2?

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Teeter posted:

I've been playing Star Renegades on gamepass and it's scratched and itch that I want more of. Looking for a turn-based rpg that has a strong focus on character progression and loot. I have minimal interest in exploring or overworld gameplay and would prefer something that maximizes times in encounters.

Probably leaning more towards JRPG than CRPG, mostly because I've exhausted most of my options in the latter and have barely scratched the former.

Fire emblem perhaps?

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
I was also going to recommend desperados 3. Best game of the year in my opinion. You could try shadow tactics shogun first, the studios' previous game. It's also extremely good and cheaper (it goes on sale every once in a while).

Besides that, you can always emulate some old console games on your pc...

Walh Hara fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Oct 13, 2020

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

GodspeedSphere posted:

Looking for a game I can play one handed. Not because I'm a sex pervert, but because I have a toddler that can't sleep unless he has skin to skin contact and god loving forbid I move my arm for one second. Currently I'm doing Slay the Spire and getting to the point where I have to do more math than I prefer. Slower strategic games are preferred because I'm too fired for schmups and poo poo like that.

Some good mouse only games:

Into the breach
Football Tactics & Glory
Trials of Fire
Monster Train

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

I want to echo this one and strongly suggest checking it out even if you're not into soccer. I'm not at all a soccer fan but this game scratches the same itch chess and SRPGs like fire emblem do for me, combined with fairly decent management sim elements in between matches.

Yeah same, it's only the soccer game I've ever played. It's more similar to battle brothers and into the breach than FIFA.

Two things I especially like about it:
1) It has a huge focus on "est" characters (fire emblem term for characters with weak starting stats but great growths). So you get lots of trade-offs between playing your veterans who hardly improve anymore and your youngsters who are terrible but have the potential to become a lot better than your veterans.
2) It's perfectly comfortable to play with just a laptop touchpad.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm looking for games that have MMO-style cooldown / rotation-based gameplay, but which aren't actually MMOs. Any other genre is fine; it seems likely that RPGs will be over-represented but it doesn't even have to be an RPG. Just give me something with an absolute shitload of buttons, that gently (or not-so-gently) pressures you to use them at the correct time and in the correct order.

Perfect examples but I've already played them:
Bloodline Champions
Dungeon Fighter Online*
Tales of Maj'Eyal

Right amount of buttons but still functionally an MMO:
Guild Wars 2

Okay, but not enough buttons:
Diablo 3
most Diablo clones in general really

Actually pretty much what I'm looking for, except it's not a computer game:
Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition

* if there were a game that was just DFO but designed for single player / without the daily login drip feed of resources needed to get anywhere, i wouldn't even need to make this request because i'd already have my answer. unfortunately, i know of no such thing :v:

Divinity Original Sin 2
Battlerite also fits, but no idea if people still play that

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Manager Hoyden posted:

I'm looking for a traditional roguelike with an interesting loot/equipment system. Instead of boring sword, sword +1, axe, axe +2, it would have stuff that actually changes the abilities of the player and the flow of the game.

Basically DCSS with the same hooks as late-game Diablo 2/3 or the interesting parts of Borderlands.

TOME 4
https://te4.org/

Many items give extra abilities and I wouldn't call the loot or upgrades boring. Don't expect items that radically change the flow of the game, but do expect to spend time thinking about your items and changing build priorities depending on what you find.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Smiling Knight posted:

Ok, I've seen several posters around here mention Troubleshooter as a neat game. It's sort of like a nu-XCOM turn based tactical game? But with unique characters, not generics. And some degree of janky crafting stuff? And it's really long? But still in development? Plus with a JRPG sort flavor? Anyway, if someone who's played it could give a full review/rundown I'd be really grateful, I'm interested but want to know more before buying.

Yeah it's extremely good.

There's a thread with more info/discussion:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3924497

The crafting is something you can very easily ignore.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

Completely left field but have a look at football, tactics & glory. https://store.steampowered.com/app/375530/Football_Tactics__Glory/

I'm not at all a soccer fan but this game feels more like xcom meets chess with a soccer theme rather than an actual sports game.

Seconding this, it's a really good game.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

tuyop posted:

I've got an interesting situation:

My brother in law has some real bad PTSD and can't play games with guns and scary poo poo. We'd like to play PC games together anyway. I think he's interested in crafting games and things like that, and I think first-person games are preferred. I'm just kind of at a loss when thinking of what games might work for him though. Any ideas?

Astroneer?

No idea if satisfactory has combat. If no then that might be worth considering as well.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

MrXmas posted:

Are there any smaller scale or indie type cover-based turn based tactical games (ala the new XCOMs, Gears Tactics, etc)? Note that I'm not talking about general "tactics" games - I'm specifically looking for an emphasis on ranged combat with cover and line of sight mechanics. I'm also looking for smaller scale games because while I enjoy the genre a lot of the times I don't feel like sitting down and committing to a full mission or campaign.

XCOM Chimera Squad is a consideration but I've already played XCOM 1 & 2 to death. I'll still keep my eye on it, but are there any other options out there?

TROUBLESHOOTER is really good.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Two questions.

What genre would Surviving Mars, Dawn of Man, and Frostpunk fall under? Colony sims? Survival builders?

Second question, where can I get more of that sweet sweet challenging build a colony under pressure action?

I assume you've played Banished?

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

MussoliniB posted:

Crazy recommendation question. I'm a teacher hosting a 'video game night' for my school. It's for a bunch of middle schoolers and I work in a school in a very poor area. I thought I had this all figured out, let's all just play Among Us for about an hour. Lo and behold, now that I'm researching things, Among Us costs money! I thought it was free.

Can anyone think of any free to play games that would appropriate for school (and middle schoolers)? I think one of the biggest obstacles is going to be the fact that every student at my school has a school-issued Chromebook. Or maybe even a few games? I'm going to have, maybe, between 10-30 students and I have to entertain them.

I greatly appreciate the help because after Googling a ton of things. I am at a complete loss.

Teeworlds has a free web version and should be pretty fun for middle schoolers. https://teeworlds.leaningtech.com/#header

Assuming your students have a mouse this should meet all your criteria very well.

Walh Hara fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Mar 17, 2021

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Honestly, I see all these recommendations and I just think "but you haven't even played Divintiy OS 2 yet? Go play that first." It's such an obvious recommendation/pick.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

ughhhh posted:

Had to send my gpu for an rma and now i am without a gpu just when i have some time to spend on Disco Elysium final cut. I am left with my 8600k with its igpu (Intel® UHD Graphics 630) . Any recommendation on something to kill time with while i wait for my gpu to return to me? I already have spent way too much time on FTL so dont want to do that again.

Can you run Slay the Spire?

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Battlerite is the sequel to bloodline champions. Might still be alive.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Cavauro posted:

What's something like the modern XCOM games and also good? Did Phoenix Point ever reach good status?

Troubleshooter

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Kalenden posted:

I'm looking for games with a good single player story campaign(s).

Shadow Tactics: Blade of the Shogun
Desperados III

Both are from the same studio and extremely good. Desperados has slightly better gameplay, Shadow Tactics has a better story and will likely have a very big discount in the upcoming steam sales.

edit: Chrono Trigger might also be interesting for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Chopstick Dystopia posted:

Has there been a good tactics + strategy combo since XCOM2?

If so I'd probably like to play it. I just finished some succesful runs of Highfleet which was great for that. I'd love it if I've missed something that scratches the same itch in the intervening years.

Battle Brothers.