Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Nolanar posted:

This is probably an easy one, but I've been finding a bunch of flash games that are obviously (something)-likes, but I have no idea what that original game is that they're all based on. It's the setup where you start with almost nothing, and then work trade routes, buying and selling commodities, trading up for better vehicles, hiring people to help you, and defending yourself along the way. Anyone know the progenitor game here, or the best example of this type?

Also, any general recommendations for open-ended games where you work yourself up from nothing without being The Chosen One or having any kind of prophesy behind you would be welcome.

You might try Patrician III which is set in the Baltic Sea circa 1300, it has less focus on warfare and more on economic development (goods trading & production, fleet management, city construction). There are frequent naval skirmishes (1-2 ships per side) and rare battles (20+ ships per side) which you can control directly or let the AI handle. It is an old game but runs fine in XP compatibility mode although resolution is capped at 1280 x 1024. Gameplay screenshots of mine on Imgur.

It also takes forever to actually win a game if you set high goals: I have 160+ hours into my current game but am not even halfway towards the goal of a 200k region population.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Any suggestions for a game like mini metro but open ended? Like I'm tired of the fuckers at new-geometric-destination and can ignore them without losing the entire game. Just expand/optimize at my own pace? I already play factorio. PC or android would be nice.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Unreal_One posted:

Have you tried mini metro on endless? This is a legit question, some people don't know about the other modes.

Endless mode isn't endless - there are a limited number of lines (7) and stations (81?), and you stop getting upgrades over 100 passengers per day.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Anything like a modern Drugwars or DopeWars (gently caress Zynga) that is a little more complex, difficult, and longer? Business/economic simulation I guess. I have played Patrician 3 & 4, all the good Pirates games, X3, and am a former Eve addict player as well.